“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alux Restaurant

Alux Restaurant
Av. Benito Juarez Garcia 217 | Entre las avenidas 65 y 70 Sur, Col. Bellavista, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 984 147 1563
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alux Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Av.65 y Av.70
Description: Alux is located in a natural cavern. We are the largest cave restaurant in the world. The restaurant tables are located in the main vault of the cavern where we can seat up to 120 people. The space includes a fully stocked bar, free WiFi, and 18,000 year old geological formations as the backdrop for your dinner. There are additional vaults as part of the cave system. The lounge, a large space with it's own bar ideal and a full stage, is available for private events. El Encanto is another vault, this one with a low ceiling and marble flooring. It can be set up for small gatherings. El Deseo, Amor, Magia, Pasion, Inspiracion and el Beso are small vaults ideal for an intimate dinner. They are often used by couples on anniversary dinners as well as a truly unique space for a wedding proposal. The last vault is perhaps the most majestic with the greatest collection of flowstones and stalactites. It is used for wedding ceremonies and other joyous events. Alux is more than a restaurant; it is a unique and unforgettable experience.
Carrollton, Texas
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I made a reservation ahead of time since it seemed to be such a popular place. We arrived 5 minutes ahead of time and the place was a ghost town. We walked down the stairs and into the bar where there were only 2 people seated. It took several minutes before we were acknowledged and shown to a table in the main dining area. We got to pick one right by the cenote since there was no one else there. Our wait service was good and the wine was pretty good. I asked for a wine list but the waiter simply offered a chardonnay and a savignon blanc. When I asked about a red, he then offered a merlot or cabernet. I have no idea what vinyards they came from since I never saw them on the menu, however, the merlot was good. The biggest disappointment came from our main course. I ordered the ribeye and my husband had the surf and turf. BOTH of our steaks were overcooked and just flat out inconsistently cooked. The cost of the meal was several times what we paid for any of our other meals in Playa and was the worst of the bunch, I am sorry to say. It is a really cool place to go and explore and maybe have a drink or two, but I will not return for dinner.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Richard C, Manager at Alux Restaurant, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I would like to apologize for your less than ideal experience and take the opportunity to respond to the issues you raised. The hostess sometimes leads customers on a tour of the natural cavern, and it seems she was doing that at the time you arrived. I apologize for the inconvenience. We are currently changing the wines we offer and as such do not have printed material as yet. If you are interested in knowing what you had I would be happy to look into it on your behalf. I have spoken with the waitstaff about the importance of transparency to our clients when we make these changes and am sorry that this information was not given at the outset. As for the steaks, if they were not to your liking we are always happy to take them back and do it right to ensure you enjoy your meal. I did not get a report saying this was done, and so though I apologize that your experience I would ask that in the future you notify us of any issues so that we might have the opportunity to address them in the moment. As for cost, we are at a very similar price level as other restaurants with fine dining in our area, though our internal costs are likely higher due to the unique challenges of operating out of a natural cavern. I sincerely hope you reconsider dining with us again, I am certain that your experience was not the norm. Thanks again for the feedback.

• Finnish first
Houston, Texas, United States
“Aluxinant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This restaurant is Incredible, inside a cave with private tables and amazing dishes! This is a Must Go place to go in the Riviera Maya.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richard C, Manager at Alux Restaurant, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and recomendation Araceli! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit. Saludos!
Liverpool
“Will never forget my trip to Alux”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My boyfriend booked Alux as a surprise for my 30th birthday while we were in Mexico. Little did I know he was also planning on proposing while we were there. After being let down by our hotel for a meal on the beach our First Choice rep recommended this restaurant and we loved every minute of it.

Upon arrival we were informed the bad weather (hurricane and tropical storm) had caused the main restaurant to be flooded (which slightly freaked my boyfriend out) but they'd moved the tables into the bar area and they were still serving food.

Everything about the place was amazing, from the steps down into the restaurant to the layout and the cave which you can walk through, it really is a must visit when in Mexico.

Both starters and main courses were delicious and the wait staff very attentive when it came to bringing fresh drinks and checking we were happy. Due to the weather the trip to the toilet was difficult (especially when wearing a maxi dress and wedges) but our server helped me to the toilet and someone waited for me to help me back to my table, where else would you get something like that.

After our meal we were seated in the raised area with couches then my boyfriend took me on a tour of the cave and got down on one knee. To say I cried was an understatement but the setting was perfect and there was no-one around so we got to have our moment on our own.

Alux is not only a must visit venue due to the fact it's a cave, it's a lovely restaurant, a great bar and has some amazing staff.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Congratulations on your engagement! Thank you for taking the time to review us, and thank your fiancee on our behalf for choosing Alux Restaurant for such an important day. We are so pleased you had a great experience and hope you come back whenever you are in Playa del Carmen. Cheers!
Freeport, Florida
“This is a must see, must experience dining pleasure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We dined here September 22nd...they were still recovering from the 3 weeks of rain but it didn't diminish the overall experience....we dined in the main Cave and enjoyed great music performed live by saxophone and piano ...the food was the best I have had anywhere in Mexico...cudos to the chef!....the only recommendation would be to find several low noise fans to help circulate the air but that will not keep me from going back again and again....We loved it!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again anytime. Glad you enjoyed your visit. Cheers!
Halifax, West Yorkshire
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If your in Mexico you must try here. Amazing when you are down there its unbelievable. Food good wine good prices good and service was brilliant. Our waiter showed us round the cave and told us all about it. It was flooded in places from the hurricane but they made the best of a bad situation. Still looked amazing.

Visited September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again next time you are in Playa del Carmen. Cheers!