“Ambiance, poor service, pricey” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Alux Restaurant

Alux Restaurant
Av. Benito Juarez Garcia 217 | Entre las avenidas 65 y 70 Sur, Col. Bellavista, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 984 147 1563
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Alux Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Av.65 y Av.70
Description: Alux is located in a natural cavern. We are the largest cave restaurant in the world. The restaurant tables are located in the main vault of the cavern where we can seat up to 120 people. The space includes a fully stocked bar, free WiFi, and 18,000 year old geological formations as the backdrop for your dinner. There are additional vaults as part of the cave system. The lounge, a large space with it's own bar ideal and a full stage, is available for private events. El Encanto is another vault, this one with a low ceiling and marble flooring. It can be set up for small gatherings. El Deseo, Amor, Magia, Pasion, Inspiracion and el Beso are small vaults ideal for an intimate dinner. They are often used by couples on anniversary dinners as well as a truly unique space for a wedding proposal. The last vault is perhaps the most majestic with the greatest collection of flowstones and stalactites. It is used for wedding ceremonies and other joyous events. Alux is more than a restaurant; it is a unique and unforgettable experience.
Milan, Italy
“Ambiance, poor service, pricey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Out of any doubt the Alux is a very charming restaurant in an exclusive location, built within a system of natural caverns (cenote), with private corners for romantic dinners and sofas to have a drink with friends. But here the charm ends. The air in the restaurant is heavy (despite of the numerous fans positioned), the cuisine would like to make a step forward from the mexican popular tradition (and partially succeeds) but the service is absolutely inadequate for the location, the food and in particular the price you will be asked to pay!
I would not suggest it to anybody.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richard C, Manager at Alux Restaurant, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for your taking the time to review us. We are disappointed that we were unable to live up to your expectations. I'd like to take this opportunity to address some of these. The heavy air is something we struggle with as our ability to cool or even move the air sufficiently for the comfort of all our guests is restricted by the natural surroundings of a cavern system that extends for miles. The infrastructure required to operate provide additional challenges (and costs), which we try and educate our customers about, including slightly longer wait times as the kitchen is located above ground and is not directly linked to the dining area. I would like to apologize if the service was not optimal on the evening of your visit. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows us to work with our staff to improve.

• Finnish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband, 14 year old son and I visited this restaurant under advice from the guest service person at our hotel. The location is quite cool and we initially were impressed. Unfortunately we were seated next to what could only be described as a furniture storage area. The restaurant being in a cave didn't have aircon so we grew warm very quickly and although they had large fans dotted about the Alux the one near us when turned on sounded like a plane landing. The food was okay but in my opinion over priced, and unless you like fish the menu didn't have a lot of options. Our drinks order was incorrect and in fact we were left for long periods without being asked if we wanted more drinks. We weren't amazed by Alux enough to recommend it or ever return. Basically if this restaurant was in a normal 'building' I think it would soon be out of business. Don't bother...

Also be aware that the tip is included in your bill and you don't have to pay the whole of that part if you feel the service lacked.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are saddened that your experience was not as good as we would like it to be. I am a little puzzled about your comment regarding the lack of options beyond fish since we only offer one fish dish and a wide range of meat, poultry, seafood and vegetarian options. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continue improving. Cheers!
Hemet
“Most unique....not going to tell you the real surprise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a romantic place to propose, get married, have a huge office party, retirement celebration or just a fabulous meal. I'm not going to ruin the surprise....all I can say is it is definitely a rare find and certainly worth a visit. This is the type of dinner house that you should have on your "bucket list" to visit. Each of our dishes were very tasty, very nice presentation, and lots of unusual flavors. I've been coming to the Mayan Riviera and Cancun area for over 20 years, now own an Ocean Front condo in Puerto Aventuras but had never heard of this incredible eatery. I highly recommend you make reservations especially during high season.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Richard C, Manager at Alux Restaurant, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad you enjoyed your visit. Come back anytime!
White Plains, New York
“Best restaurant to date....in my life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have to say...I had never heard of this place prior to going...but the guys in our group had looked up this restaurant prior and decided to go for it......and it payed off big time!!!!! From the moment we walked in...we were all stunned on how beautiful the restaurant sits in a cave (literally). Absolutely stunning. The staff seated us immediately and were completely attentive. I had a Mar y Tierra (Surf and Turf) which was a 10. I had some rose wine and overall this place felt soothing with the light blues music in the backround. It was a live band I realized afterwards. Another 10! Our waiter Alex...was a sweet heart. He went above and beyond the call of duty...even giving us a tour of the entire (entire!) cave. The girls in our group had high heels on and were troopers....taking our heels off and getting into the small holes of the caves to go explore more. Amazing! Breathtaking. The only set back is that it's a bit off from the main street in Playa but it's completely worth it. If your planning for a romantic date or just to hang out in a cool place....visit Alux!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We are really glad you had such a great time!
Toronto, Canada
“Really, really wanted to love it . . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

On our recent trip to Playa I talked our group into checking out the Alux. Initially we were only going to have a drink at the bar and do a tour but after checking out the menu prices we decided to stay for dinner.

Walking down the steps into the cave really is an experience. We were all amazed at how they've made this wonderful natural cenote into a restaurant. Candles lit, live music trio. Really cool atmosphere.

We ordered and were told to head on into the tunnel for our walk around the tunnels. Again, we were all walking around really impressed with the uniqueness of the cave. Back at the table I looked forward to the rib-eye steak I ordered. (BTW it was $370.00 MX) Others had ordered the surf/turf. Note: it comes with shrimp, not lobster.

Now here's where it went a bit wrong. My steak was covered in a brown sauce. So I started to cut and couldn't find meat! It was all fat. (Now I know why it's covered in gravy) I don't normally do this but I asked to change it for something else. The waiter told me . . "i'm sorry mame but it's what you ordered, I can't take it back, it's not my fault" . . smiled, and walked away. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. So I went back to trying to find meat. It was then that a (I assume) manager lady came by and noticed me working at the plate. When I told her i couldn't find meat, she took it back and promised another steak. She also explained that that particular cut in Mexico, is very fatty. She also mentioned that it's often sent back for that reason. Moral of the story? Go the extra peso and order the surf/turf with the filet. In the end, the steak was amazing.

Since we had decided to go the full monty and do dinner and drinks of course, we threw in desserts too (oh, and special coffees) we had planned to use credit card to pay. Again, here's where it got a little sketchy. While I understand we were underground, in this day and age, there has to be some way to get your visa machine to work. Our first attempt, credit card was declined! We knew our cards were good. Second attempt with different card, same thing! Now there's a few employees standing around as we were sweating this out. Third attempt, same thing . . they say to us, maybe your card isn't working?? Really??? We ended up literally, emptying purses, pockets, change purses to scrape together the cash to pay the bill. Our second last night and we were wiped out of cash. Cab driver had to take our home currency to get us back to the hotel. So like I said, I really, really wanted to love it but the bad spots left me walking away a little miffed . . .
And please NOTE: they include the tip on the bill!! Unfortunately the worst way to motivate good service and it showed.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We really appreciate your feedback as it allows us to make improvements. We have had, on occasion, issues with the credit card machines. We apologize for the inconvenience this caused, it is not our standard operating procedure. We rely very much on these machines working, which is why we have two of them. As to the tip on the bill, this is clearly marked as being such and is SUGGESTED. If the service is not to your liking you do not have to pay it. We are glad you enjoyed your dinner and hope you visit us again. Cheers!