“Exactely as rated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mayan Bistro

Mayan Bistro
Hotel Aventura Mexicana | 10th Avenue & 22 Street, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico
+52 984 873 1876
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Caribbean, Italian, Mexican, Pizza, International
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Description: Escape the hustle and bustle of 5th Ave and dine with us in our beautiful gardens just a block off 5th Ave on 22nd. Our service is friendly and sincere while our cuisine is an international blend that reflects the diverse culinary backgrounds and experience of our chefs. We are sure you will love our food as much as we do!! Oh yeah we also have the biggest wine pour in all of Playa!!
NEW YORK
“Exactely as rated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We took the advice of TA members and had lunch at the Mayan Bistro. And even though the flank steak was not on the menu, it was cooked to order and was as tender and flavorful as described. I paired it with the Mayan Salad and was very satisfied. It was not crowded at all, so hard to know if the excellent service we received was because there were only two tables being waited on.

We went back for breakfast and enjoyed it as well.

We asked if we could walk around the hotel it is attached to and decided that we would stay at the Aventura Mexicana on our next visit.

Well worth eating here. Not cheap but quality.

Visited June 2013

93% Recommend
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
“An Overall Excellent Dining Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We saw the reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to check the place out ourselves. We were a group of 6 and we were not disappointed. Everything from the staff to the food was amazing and not overly priced. Everyone's dish was delicious and satisfying. it was so good we went twice. We look forward to returning and trying out more menu items.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Pure deliciousness”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I was really excited to try this place out after reading the reviews. In fact, I was worried that when I got there, I wouldn't be seated! However, there was ample room. I opted to sit outside by the pool, where it was a little cooler.

Let me start by saying that deciding what to eat was extremely difficult. The menu features so many delicious items that it's a little overwhelming. For drinks, I followed an earlier poster's advice and went with a couple of very potent tequila sunrises. They had awesome garnishes, which gave presentation points. For dinner, I went with scallops served in a banana leaf (wish I could remember the serving style). With it, I had parmesan rice and Mexican street corn. They also brought out a deliciously spicy hot sauce that I emptied all over the corn and rice. Awesome! The scallops were divine (small and extremely plentiful). I ate plenty but didn't feel disgusting (or remorseful) afterward.

For me, the best part of the dinner was after I had eaten and Gabby asked me if I wanted another drink. I decided to take matters into my own hands and go talk to Jorge, the bartender, inside. I asked him to make a recommendation for me, and since I just happened to be drinking tequila, he proposed a concoction that was made of a hefty pour of tequila, coconut milk, and mint/lime/sugar. It was like a milky mojito. Sounds crazy, but it was delicious! Even better, when Gabby brought me the bill, she told me it was on the house (maybe they felt bad for me being by myself)! Either way, I thanked them and left a generous tip.

What a great dining experience. I'd like to eat here many more times, but alas, Cozumel calls. Don't miss this place!

Visited June 2013
Apex, North Carolina
“Epicurean experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

1 block away from noisy 5th Avenue (Quinta Avenida) the restaurant offers a surprising and delightful experience. Christopher, our very simpatico and knowledgeable server walked us into the heart of the garden for a unique and delicious dinner under starry skies and soft background music. We decided for the local cuisine: Mayan Ceviche, savory Arrachera, (a juicy flank steak with black beans), Scallops in Tikin-Chic sauce, Mango Shrimp. We had delicious Flan and Crepes for dessert, sealed with velvety Grand Marnier shots.

We had tried many restaurants during the week we stayed at the Riviera Maya, and decided to have a last dinner at the Mayan Bistro. So we went back a second time, only to have an even better gastronomic experience: Caribbean Salad, Cilantro Shrimp, Chicken Pibil, and an encore of the previous desserts.

I have to point out, that the atmosphere of the Mayan Bistro, together with the enchanting garden of the Hotel Aventura Mexicana that is part of the grounds, were simply the most inviting, relaxing and even romantic among all the restaurants we went to in Playa del Carmen. The attentiveness of the staff, especially Christopher, will make you feel very special, but the quality of the food, above all, deserves special mention and our sincerest thanks to the Kitchen Staff. If you want to have a great dining experience, the Mayan Bistro is the place to go. Period!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
fort myers, fl
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was our first time at the Mayan Bistro & can't wait to return next year. Great, fresh, food & drinks. Had the Mango Scallops & they were fantastic! Huge portion, too. Looking forward to staying at the attached hotel Aventura Mexicano with there VIP plan next year.

• Visited May 2013