The good: Came back here after 12 years. Pelicano Inn is a beautifully rustic holdout in an area quickly becoming slick and gaudy. Courtyard garden is beautiful and quiet. Location on the water and in the middle of pedestrian zone can't be beat. Exceptionally good price. Friendly, English-speaking staff. Free wi-fi worked great for me. Except that Playa has lost its small-village charm, I would go back to Pelicano. It's not luxurious, but has beauty and warmth - more than what I would call 'bare bones'.
Not so good: I wish the rooms still had hammocks, the hooks are still in place on the balconies and patios, and the mattresses are really bad (I bought a hammock, it's worth it). Used to put free quart of bottled water in every room, now they charge. Noise from Fusion bar nearby ruins the ability to listen to the surf at night in the ocean view rooms (but apparently does not disturb the 'garden view' rooms so much). Concierge was lacking: recommended garish Vegas-style show, and when I said that was exactly NOT what I was looking for, instead of suggesting low-key locals-style activities he said 'oh you gotta go'.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Pelicano Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pelicano Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Pelicano Playa Del Carmen
- Pelicano Inn Playa Del Carmen
- Pelicano Inn Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico