“would probably stay again, but....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pelicano Inn

You added Pelicano Inn to your Saves list
Pelicano Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 8 entre 5a. y Zona Federal | Zona Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #140 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“would probably stay again, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

stayed in beach front room and had a mostly good stay.
location in relation to restaurants, beach stuff is pretty much perfect, no problems there.
didn't catch(don't remember) his name but the front desk staff was friendly and helpful, no problems there.
property is a bit old and on the beach (in Mexico) so condition and facilities are about what you'd expect. Not bad, maybe a little damp,musty but, again it;s on the beach and it's no worse than pretty much any where else. I guess the room looked just a little tired but, again, our room was on the beach and the weather, sun, wind, sand, etc, is gonna give it a battering. king size Bed was OK, prob a bit hard. no big issue for me or my gf. but honestly, no exaggeration, the pillows were as thick and hard as a cinder block. when i first layeddown i actually wondered what they were. laughably bad. all in all no real, deal breaker type problems with the condition of the room itself

For me, the real deal breaker was noise, as all night long music from several locations up and down the beach. also quite a bit from people on the beach as well. I'm sorry to say that for me it was unbearable. Funny thing, i was chatting with another guest in the morning that had stayed in one of the inner rooms in the hotel and she said her room was quiet as a tomb. if i return it will definatly be one of those and not the beach front room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I loved this place 15 years ago when I stayed here, which is why I made reservations to stay there again on a recent trip. I reserved their best room, an ocean front room, at a discounted price on Expedia and noted in the reservation that I would be a late arrival. Unfortunately, the night clerk had no record of my reservation when I did arrive and I had to settle for a room where the ocean was nowhere in sight. They did throw in a simple breakfast when I talked to the front desk in the morning, but it did not make up for the price difference, let alone the 1 hour hassle at the front desk after a very long day of traveling.

Judging by my lost reservation, and the fact that the night clerk tried to opened a room door that already had guests in there (freaking them out), I'd say they are not well organized. And sadly, the place has been terribly maintained since my last visit. I will not be going back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

direct at nice beach, rooms are ok and clean, no high-end hotel but everything needed was available: safe, small fridge, A/C, TV (for those who need it), during the night you can hear a little bit the entertainment in the neighborhood, nice view to Isla Cozumel if you book OCEAN VIEW. 1 min-walk to pedestrian zone where you find many tourist shops and restaurants etc

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This was my third time staying at the Pelicano Inn. It is very well-priced, right on the beach, in the middle of downtown Playa Del Carmen. The location is ideal! Steps to everything you could possibly want.....shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, and the beach and beautiful ocean of course!
I always get an oceanfront room that has a gorgeous view of the beach and lovely water. The rooms are simple, but have what you really need: beds, shower, closet, mirror, table, refrigerator, and a nice patio with a table, chairs, and a lounge.
The staff is very friendly and will always help with any little problems, but the one person who always helps me and makes me smile is the wonderful concierge/reception person, Luis Rivera. He has always been so warm, understanding, and helpful. He is an excellent staff member!!!!
I will always return here because I love the location and the friendliness of the staff who always call me by name. They are delightful people. I love this hotel and I love Playa Del Carmen!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Stanwood, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

The Pelicano Inn is in a great location and the rooms are well priced for being on the beach. They are not luxurious, but they have a bed, a bathroom with hot water and a small refridgerator. The staff, especially Luis, were always friendly and helpful. We had to change rooms a few times and he helped us with our luggage. Get one of the oceanview rooms and you are practically sleeping on the beach! Awesome!

Room Tip: Reserve an Oceanfront room.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Burnsville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

Have been staying at the Pelicano Inn for over ten years. I think it is the best deal in town. Sure, it might need some attention paid to some areas, but I go for the sun, food and the beach. I can get along without some things in order to enjoy what the hotel offers.

Here are my thoughts................

If you are looking for a TV in your room, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you are looking for a phone in your room, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you are looking for whirlpools in your room, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you think the room you stay in is more important than the time you spend out of the room, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you have to have free water bottles, every day, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you are looking for everything to be perfect, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you think you need to spend $200.00/$300.00 a night to be happy, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.
If you are looking for a Five Star Hotel, Hotel Pelicano Inn is not the place for you.

HOWEVER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you want to hear the waves while laying in bed, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.
If you want to sit on your balcony and people watch, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.
If you want to stay right on the beach, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.
If you can survive in a room that might not have a towel bar, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.
If you can survive in a room where the light fixture may not be tight against the ceiling, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.
If you can survive in a room that might not have a shower mat, Hotel Pelicano Inn is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Rockwall, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Pelicano Inn for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had stayed here before and the view was/is beautiful. Granted, the view from our ocean view suite was fantastic, but I think the mattress and towels are from my previous stay 6 years ago. I was somewhat disappointed. We also had no bottled water in the room and our reservation stated "complimentary" bottled water. I inquired at reception and was told they no longer provided that -- however, in two empty rooms we noticed two bottles of water and a card stating it was complimentary and to ask at the reception desk if they needed more.

Also, the ocean view suite was right next to an outdoor stage next door - the music was cranking until about 2:00 a.m. every morning. Tough to sleep.

The toilet was stopped up when we arrived and they had to call in a plumber, it was fixed by late afternoon.

Keep in mind we were aware this is just a little funky hotel on the water with a beautiful view, but they need to keep things updated a bit and provide what is stated in the reservation. Also, you cannot charge to your room and they do not take credit cards in their restaurant or the beach bar - we went next door to the other hotel and our card was accepted.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pelicano Inn? Share your experiences!