I was looking for a perfect place to take my boyfriend for his 30th birthday and found it at the Shangri La Caribe. We were there three nights and we have returned completely refreshed! We had an amazing time and this place could not have been better! I found and picked Shangri La from the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed at all. Everything in the reviews were right on - from the friendly staff to the great beach and the laid back, stress-free ambiance.
We had room 31B which is a second story room in the Caribe section with an ocean and pool view. It was also steps from the bar. It was a little noisy at times from the kids playing in the pool but it was never an annoyance. The rooms were basic, not fancy, but they were terrific. Beds were hard like other people have said but we did not find them uncomfortable at all. The pillows were great. Turning in your beach towel every day was a non-issue. Breakfasts were very good. Even though dinner is included, we went in to town every night for dinner which was fun. Had great dinners at Babes Noodle House (hip and fun) and Yaxche (elegant Mayan) and had not great sushi at Sushi Tlan. I would stay away from there. All restaurants were on 5th Avenue.
We really enjoyed an afternoon horse back riding and snorkeling at Punto Venado. The horses were very well taken care of and the guides could not have been nicer.
We were there over Easter weekend and I think it's worth mentioning that it is Sagrada Santa a.k.a. Mexican Holiday Weekend and there were many locals on the beach. The new road does lead right on to the beach which is a little crazy. It didn't make much of a difference to us at all but on Monday when they all went back to work, the beach was super quiet.
I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and have stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world and will say that this was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable times I have ever had. I just hope that they don't try to change anything. It's absolutely perfect the way it is!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico