If you need to get away from the techno-links that tie you down this is the place. Without going completely "cold-turkey" you can disconnect and unplug from the wired world and reconnect to the real world. The sun, the beach, the Caribbean, the rain, the birds, the trees, and the locals.
Service was excellent, all staff were courteous and very helpful. Accommodations were outstanding, the thatched roofs are amazing providing a primitive feel while still very functional (it rained ~50% of the days there). We spent most of waking hours on the beach which was groomed daily. Our biggest concern is with the size of the beach, it seems to be getting smaller. Maybe it will rebuild during a different time of the year but, it was significantly narrower than promotional photos and even the view on Google Earth shows a much wider beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico