Stayed at Mahekal over thanksgiving 2013. Pros: the bungalows/palapas are beautiful, whether on the beach or garden. Pretty walking trails, nice beach, smaller resort, so very warm and personable atmosphere. Quiet nights except for waves crashing. Food is good, with generous variety day to day (dinner, breakfast all the same).
Cons: hotel is located between public beach access. In some places resort footpaths are adjacent to public areas with car access. There is a sulfur smell in the beach area. The resort is under construction and will be for some time. Boli accommodated us generously and changed our room away from the noise. They start early and run around with wheelbarrows all day. Alcohol, water and soda is not included. There are shops nearby for retail purchase. This gets pricey after a week there. There a no onsite kids activities, other than ceramic painting.
Overall, vey romantic and quiet resort, unique too, given the palapas and balcony with swinging hammocks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico