We have been staying at this resort yearly since 1988, often mutlple times a year. The reason we keep coming back is the outstanding location, beach and ambiance. The bartenders and waiters are unbelievable. Many have been at Mahekal for many, many years. They always remember your name, what you like and are super friendly and competent. Bolli is one of a kind. The best concierge we have ever met. The grounds are clean and beautiful. That being said, many things are changing and not for the better. For the last few years, we have noticed little to zero senior management involvement except for the food and beverage manager with guests. Weddings seem to be a priority to the point that wedding guests take over the bars, restaurants, etc.. They pretty much destroy the tranquil environment we so much enjoy. Many of the wedding guests carry on with their partying late into the night. At such an open air resort, this noise bothers everyone. The dinner menu has become very limited. Mostly buffets and, when meals are served, they are limited to selections which are repeated continuously. Communication among the front desk, housekeeping, and maintenace has become spotty at best. Front desk personnel do not seem to know when units are ready for occupancy or if there are maintenance issues with them. For example, this year when we checked into our room, after waiting until 4 PM due to late check out of the previous occupant, the A/C was not working. The reception folks did not even know there was a problem, but housekeeping did. The word was not passed along. Maybe this is one example of what happens when senior management is not involved. The owners have just purchased Los Palapas next door. Plans are to do extensive remodeling and to combine both resorts into one. Suspect this will further dilute management attention to the little details and guest satisfaction. Let's hope for the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico