We love Mahekal. This holiday season was our second time there. However, to our surprise there were massive Rave parties at the next beach almost every day of the eight we were there. These parties ran until 4:00 am and had aweful, very loud music. Using an on-line app for our smart phone, we measured the noise level at over 90 db at 2:00 am. This constant pounding of over-amplified base sound was almost physically painful. Then, there were always drunks on the beach theh next morning. We brought our daughter and her family with us for their first time visit. They swore they will never be back. It is very hard with young children who can't get sleep. The hotel management was powerless to impact on the noise and not very sympathetic. Otherwise, the staff at the hotel is great. Friendly and efficient. It is a shame that they will most likely be impacted by these parties that seem to be the new norm for Playa del Carmen. Too bad, it used to be a wonderful family place. Add to this that the TV in the bar area was broken from the day we arrivedd on 28 Dec until we left on 5 Jan. Internet service was practically non-existant getting on line was almost impossible and when we were on, it was very slow. The final problem, which was corrected when we complained, was that we paid for an ocean view room and were put into a cheaper garden view room. Of course, it was only corrected the next day.
DO NOT GO TO PLAYA DEL CARMEN OVER THE HOLIDAYS UNLESS YOU WANT TO RAVE ALL NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelClick, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Tingo, getaroom.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.