The Four Season's its not. Which is not a bad thing if you're looking for a quaint resort, right on the beach, a short walk to town and a good value. No TVs or phones in the rooms, although you can get Wi-Fi in the bar and the lobby. Our room was clean, and we loved the character of the palapa roof and the hammocks on our balcony. They have a 2 for 1 Happy Hour in the early evenings, and breakfast and either lunch or dinner is included in the price of your room. Everyone was super nice and friendly, although I did find that the service could be terribly slow, with the exception of breakfast. Specifically, during lunch one day, not only did they lose my order, I was brought the wrong dish. When I brought this to the attention of my server, he laughed and said well at least I still got the fish (I ordered the Chef's Fish Tacos and was brought the basic fish tacos). Once night during our stay, we stopped in at the bar, and sat down. It wasn’t until I got up off the bar stool, walked over to the bartender at the computer, and asked if we could have two beers that we actually got any kind of acknowledgement or service. Even then it was begrudgingly. Neither incident was enough to ruin our trip, but it was enough to downgrade my review from five to four. Takeaway: we had a great time and a great experience despite some minor service hiccups.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahékal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 121 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen.The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahékal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer television, radios or telephones. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico