Okay, this review is a little overdue (we were there May 27-June 3, 2007)...My (now husband) and I stayed at Aventura Spa Palace two and a half years ago. When it was time for us to discuss a wedding venue, we knew we wanted a destination wedding, and we knew we wanted it to be in Mexico. Our experience at ASP was phenomenal, but for a wedding, we knew it was not as intimate as we were hoping for, so started our research on the other Palace resorts. With its extremely close proximity (walking distance!) to the town of Playa (with its countless shops, restaurants and bars to choose from), and the reputation of a Palace resort, we knew we had a match with Playacar Palace. In some of the reviews we had read, the common theme was disappointment in their lack of a "beach." True, there was no real beach, but a very short walk to the right of the resort and you could be on one, if that's what you were hoping for (we had many of our wedding photos taken on that beach). Sure, no bar service there, but we were so thrilled with the pool environment and the excellent staff that we didn't even THINK of going anywhere else!
The staff went above and beyond to make sure that our entire group had everything we needed at all times. Alberto at the bar was always pouring us fun drinks and shots without having to be asked, and our VERY favorite cocktail/pool waitress, Yadira, felt like a part of our family by the end of the week. We were certainly sad to leave her!
The wedding was perfect, communication leading up to our arrival was frustrating at times, but persistence went a long way to ensure all of our details were included. To plan an event like a wedding from so far away was nerve-racking at times, but everything was exactly as expected, as we did a lot of research (we knew we wouldn't be married on a beach, and knew that there wouldn't be a horse drawn carriage like at ASP). Ruse, the wedding coordinator, was so pleasant and helpful-they even designed a boquet for me which was NOT one of the standard choices!
The restaurants were always very good, and the buffet was always well stocked with many options. Lunch at the pool usually also consisted of a grill/buffet style spread if you didn't want to go into the restaurant in your wet bathingsuit. I think the Italian restaurant was our favorite, but there's something to be said for the Mayan coffees they made us in the Asian restaurant!
The pool was always the main attraction during the day. The activities staff was always working very hard to get everyone involved (including the kids), although it did not seem that the hotel was very full during our stay (although we did see two other weddings) and made the activities staff's job challenging.
I don't think we had a single complaint-all of our guests had fantastic views from their rooms, and all 20 of us keep saying what an amazing trip it was. The proximity to town was a huge plus for our guests who felt like exploring, and a lot of us enjoyed touring the different bars and restaurants at night. There even happened to be a fishing tournament in town the week we were there! Please...feel free to contact me with questions. I'd be happy to talk about our wedding there (and any other details), as we had trouble finding anyone who had been married there prior to our trip!
Okay...maybe our ONLY complaint was that they were still in the process of grinding the concrete around the pool to create ridges and make it less slippery-which was very loud, but had to be done. We didn't let it ruin our trip! :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playacar Palace, a trendy beachfront Resort located steps away from Playa del Carmen’s famous 5th Avenue and the Cozumel Ferry Dock. Our amazing Resort features 200 appointed rooms, 3 restaurants and 4 bars. This Resort is considered the perfect spot to relax during the day and enjoy the nightlife and charms of “Playa” at night. Playacar Palace it’s all inclusive, all incredible and all yours… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Playacar Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playacar Palace Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playacar Palace Mexico
- Playacar Palace Resort
- Playacar Palace Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico