“Dream Wedding at the Playacar Palace!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #8 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
washington dc
“Dream Wedding at the Playacar Palace!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I were married at the Playacar Palace in June 2007.

We went through the Group Reservation department for the Palace Resorts and brought 70 guests with us. Sergio Rivera was our contact and we had an amazing time!! NONE of our guests had any complaints. The customer service was impeccable. For example, all of our guests were on the 4th and 5th floors, and all guests who arrived early received early check-ins and did not have to wait. Also, even with the discounted group rate, tours were included in my guests' packages.

Yasmin, our wedding coordinator, was perfect. We often communicated via email for the wedding details (e.g. flowers, music, wedding arch, menu, linens) and EVERY request I had was implemented. Pedro Basto was the events coordinator and he worked with Yasmin to make sure all of our needs were met.

The highlights of the vacation were definitely the high level customer service and the execution of the wedding ceremony and reception events. The children loved the beach and pool and our adult guests spent great times in the wet bar! We enjoyed the buffet and the food at the Italian restaurant was great. My guests also loved the fact that the hotel was in close proximity to 5th Avenue--I took my guests on a walking tour the first evening down 5th Avenue to the Blue Parrot Beach Club. We had a ball and it was great because over the next few days, the guests would go into town in small groups for shopping.

We stayed in the Governor's Suite (410) and it was amazing!

I think the greatest compliment to the Playacar Palace is the fact that even with such a diverse group of people traveling--couples, couples with children and singles--EVERYONE had an amazing time. Also with a group this size, it was very nice to be the big fish in a little pond, meaning the hotel size was very intimate. It was nice to always run into one of my guests. Also, I felt comfortable/safe that my nine year old son could go to the room to change or get sunblock without getting lost.

Needless to say that we had a dream experience with the people of the Playacar--our family will definitely be back and our guests talked about returning with there families as well!

• Liked — Customer Service, Wedding Accomodations
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Playacar Palace from May 11-19 (this review has been a bit delayed) and we had a fabulous time. I chose the Playacar Palace because I really wanted to be able to walk to the 5th Avenue area whenever we wanted. This was our first time in Mexico and I was worried about feeling trapped at a resort that's more secluded, so the location of the Playacar was really ideal for us. And I always felt safe walking around there, so it was perfect.

As other reviews have stated, there is very little beach there, but what there is of it was lovely. The tide was low while we were out there, so we always had some beach while we were there. We swam in the ocean everyday and thought the water was great. The little beach was another reason why we chose Playacar. We like the ocean, but I really don't like laying in the sand. I really hate how sand can get everywhere and allover everything. I prefered to lounge on the chairs
overlooking the ocean at their pool area. Not all of the chairs face
the pool, half of them face the ocean so we were really happy.

We didn't swim in the pool at all, but I did notice that it was only 4 ft deep and also had a kiddie area for the little ones. They did have activities by the pool, but we always politely declined to participate and they didn't bother us after that. It also wasn't too loud, so we were able to relax with no problem. The poolside menu was
a bit small, but they always had a special of the day that was really
good. One day they made really great tacos and another a fabulous seafood paella.

I thought that the clean, tasteful decor and the size of the resort was also ideal. It wasn't too small and it wasn't so big that it was overly crowded. Actually, even though there were 2 weddings while we were there, the hotel never felt crowded to us. This is a huge plus for us because we live in a big city and just want to get away from crowds during our vacation. The downside to this was though that there weren't too many restaurants. The breakfast and lunch buffet were wonderful because there was always a good assortment of food, but I found that dinner was a bit harder even though we had more options then. The restaurants are fine, and we enjoyed the food, we just got tired of it a bit and didn't LOVE the food like I would like to do on vacation. It was just okay. What I was really disappointed with was the room service menu. There was really nothing
on there that really appealed to us and the selection was so small. I
was really hoping to have a nice private dinner with my husband on the balcony and was sad to see that it wasn't really possible. I didn't pursue it with the staff, maybe if I had asked, they would have done it for us since they were so accomodating, but I would have
liked it if had a nicer menu set.

While we were there we did go on two included tours; one to Tulum and the other to Coba. When we booked them, I had asked if there would be time to swim at Tulum and they told me no since it was only a half day tour. But when we got on the bus, the guide told us we could. Apparently we weren't the only ones misinformed because only a handful of people on the bus had their swimsuits with them. We also didn't think ahead enough to bring out own water. It was so hot with no shade and I got so parched. At the end of the tour suring our free time, I didn't care that I didn't have my suit on, I jumped into the water anyway just to cool off. I wish I had the insight to bring some water with me. For the Coba tour, I had learned my lesson and brought some water, but the guide also had some for sale on the bus, which made we wonder why they didn't do that on the Tulum bus. Both tours were worthwhile though and I do recommend them, just be prepared for the heat and all of the walking.

We also went to Xel-Ha and loved it. We almost decided to cancel the trip just because we were afraid it would be crowded and I was afraid
that it just wouldn't be worth it. But I was wrong. We LOVED it and I wish we could have gone back another day. The snorkeling and the hammocks were so wonderful. I will definitely go back to Mexico just to go back to Xel-Ha.

Overall, we definitely loved our stay at the Playacar Palace. The service was wonderful, the hotel was beautiful and we just had the best vacation we have ever had there. We would definitely go back.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

I know this review is beyond late but better late than never. I absolutely loved Playacar Palace. The location was great, staff was friendly and prompt, and the food was good. We planned to have our wedding at the resort and we were quite disappointed at the location assigned for Playacar Palace weddings. I certainly didn't have guest fly all the way to Mexico to have my wedding on the balcony of a hotel suite. The good thing was we were able to change locations and held our wedding at the Adventura Palace resort which was perfect. The wedding gazebo has a picture perfect back drop. Adventura is a much bigger resort with tons of restaurants and activies but the location is not ideal. We preferred the modern feel of the Playacar and the easy access to town and nightlife. There is staff on-site to help arrange excursions and I would definitely recommend the zip line trip. We were also able to snorkel in a couple of caves, there was a bike ride and a ritual ceremony that was very interesting.

Pros- modern feel of the resort, small size, great staff, great location (walking distance to tons of shops and the ferry). Honeymoon suite was spacious with two decks and it was very clean. Huge Jacuzzi, flat screen TV and great view.

Cons- only 3 restaurants and small beach

Overall we had a fabulous time and we have already planned our return trip for our 1 year anniversary.

• Liked — Honeymoon Suite
  • Disliked — Beach
  • Stayed November 2006
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

We arrived late evening and after checking in we were told that they had no record of us having paid. I had to pay for a nights stay out of pocket until they could resolve the issue with our online agent (last minute travel). It took well over 24 hrs before it was resolved and they did credit the money back. Needless to say I will not be using that agency again. Other than that, the trip and stay turned out to be excellent. Palace Resorts is an excellent resort chain. We have stayed at the Cozumel Palace and enjoyed it equally. They have excellent wait staff and the food is very good. Any reviews that say the contrary, are way off. The buffet was fully stocked at all times with fresh food and both the restaraunts were very good. I will say that the Italian was my least favorite, but still good.

While it was not too crowded when we stayed, if you want the good spots by the pool, get there early(before 8am). And yes, certain areas are extremely slippery when wet, so be careful!

Our room was very nice, and the jacuzzi tub is great! If you get a room 3rd floor or higher, you should have a very nice view of the ocean. Anything lower and you may be blocked out by the palms. But who the heck stays in the room anyway? Also, some fabric softener on the towels would be nice.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay which I would recommend to all my friends. Just be VERY thourough when you are booking and make sure all details are squared away.

• Liked — wait staff and service
  • Disliked — check in
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

Stayed 2 weeks at Playacar. On reflection should have split the time between 2 resorts.
I agree with all the good reports about the service - it would have been hard to fault it.
The previous problems with the slippery pool surround are being sorted - except it is a bit disruptive if they are still working on it - the work is quite noisy and means large sections of the seating areas are roped off, Nevertheless the resort was not too full and we always managed to find shady pool beds although I guess this could be a problem in busier periods.
I think I have rarely had more comfortable beds although King beds would leave a little more space in the rooms - the spa baths take up a lot of space.
My only reservation was the food and this got very boring as time went on. The food in the Italian restaurant bore little resemblance to any that I have experienced on my many trips to Italy and the sauces tended to be rather too heavy. Having said that, the cold food on the buffet was excellent and kept very cold and fresh. I saw them frequently change the food on the hot plates but the food was often only lukewarm which made the freshly grilled meat and fish a better option.
Unless you 'do' shopping think hard about the included trips - for instance on the Mujeres trip we left the beachclub in time to spend 1 1/2 hours in the town on the Island - a number of fellow guests commented that they would have preferred to spend the time on the beach.
Would I go again - probably not but mainly as there is not a lot to do that we did not do this time outside the resort. Would I recommend it - possibly if you are only going for the week, are not a 'foodie' and you like your glass filled often and cheerfully.

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — food
Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2007

My daughter's wedding was here and we couldn't have asked for a better deal - all inclusive and the service is unbelievable. The wedding coordinator made everything easy and it was beautiful.

The food was fabulous and they served you whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted it and where ever you were at on the resort property. They don't serve a glass of wine, they bring the bottle.

My husband and children dive so we took the ferry to the Cozumel and they booked their dive trips with Aqua Safari that is right at the Hotel. I baked in the sun and swam in the Gulf and pool while sipping on Tequila during my family's dive expedition. They dove in the 3rd best dive location in the world - what a way to live.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

To any bride or groom who is looking for stress free wedding I would highly recommend the Playacar Palace. This was our first time at a Palace resort and we will definitely be going back. The wedding coordinator we used ( Ruse) was very helpful and took care of everything upon our arrival. The resort was beautiful with ocean views for every room. Our Honeymoon sweet room 410 is the nicest room I have ever been in. Very spacious with the best views imaginable. We also went to bed and woke up listening to the ocean waves. We had around 20 guests down for the ceremony and no one had any complaints. The staff is very accommodating and very friendly. We were a little rambunctious at dinner in the Italian restaurant after the wedding, but the manager kept telling me “not to worry this was our night”. We tried all the restaurants and as weird as it sound, the Oriental was our favorite. The egg rolls are great!!. We were at the Playacar from May 16-20. We had perfect weather, sunny and in the 80’s, the only small complaint was the construction work around the pool. The tile is very slippery and they were in the process of cutting grooves to fix this. The construction began on Saturday about breakfast and went on until we left. They should be finished with this in a few weeks.
Overall this was the best all-inclusive we had ever stayed at. We are already planning our trip next year. Hope this is helpful to everybody; please feel free to contact me, zcaldwell@gmail.com. If you ladies are trying to convince you man to come here just mention Crown Royal is available at every bar…

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Playacar was perfect!!
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!