“Paradise on the Beach - Location Superb” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Vancouver, Canada
“Paradise on the Beach - Location Superb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Hotel staff never smiled or went the extra mile in service, except the bellboy named Jesus!
Transportation pick-up at airport made me wait for 2 hours outside at the airport...a nightmare added to a long flight. check-in (Fernando) never smiled nor made a person feel welcomed. Check-out was the worst I have had in 22 years since visiting Cancun/Playa Carmen yearly.Positive note.. the food was of extreme high quality! Public access from City Strip to the beach... makes safety a concern!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Stayed for a week with our family in July 2014 (2 teenagers, 2 adults and a six year old). We loved it. The staff is very friendly and positive, service is great, Wifi is fast and reliable (a must have with teenagers) and the fitness room excellent. City center is right next to your door. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had two rooms downstairs in front of the fitness center. They had jacuzzi's, huge beds and no...
Monterey Bay California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I have traveled to the Riviera Maya area for over 15 years. There is one Hotel that we will NEVER miss, Playacar Palace in Playa Del Carmen. This is a small property nestled right on the beach and close to down town Playa Del Carmen. The long stretch of white sand that runs for miles a front of the crystal blue waters of the Mexican Caribbean. This property is an all inclusive resort with four restaurants and a snack bar, pool side. The Italian Restaurant, La Tretoria is elegant and the food is delicious. The Restaurant manager, Leonel is a sweetheart and will do anything to assure you have enjoyed your meal and walked away happy. They have live music most nights that is soothing to a more formal setting. The Asian Restaurant offers regular seating or grill seating where the Chef prepares the meal on a grill right in front of you. Along with that he is very entertaining providing surprises during the meal. The regular tables off a wide arrange of Pac Asian food including the best sushi I have every had. The buffet restaurant is open for 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The staff during every shift is excellent. The Restaurant Managers, Sergio, Luis and Alfredo are amazing. The head waiters Rudolfo, Gudalupe and Cesario do not stop!! They are in one hundred places at one time assuring you a wonderful dinning experience. The waitresses and waiters are so attentive to your likes and dislikes. They begin to remember all your favorite drinks and have them waiting for you before you even sit down. Crystal, Friday, Sotero, Renan, Fernando and all of them are at your service and they are only happy if you are happy. Two of the buffet restaurant receptionists who always tried to give us our "Special" table were Betsabee and Micelia. The Chefs are all awesome as well, every morning Araceli would greet me with a smile and say, "The usual?" and of course I'd say, "Yes!" The outdoor Chef, Oscar goes out of his way too. The pool and beach waitresses and waiters really hussle everyday in the hot sun. Juana, Anna, Maria and the Beach Lifeguard Marco are wonderful. Marco keeps a close eye on me and my husband when we swim in the Ocean. He shared pictures of his family and made us feel special. The Bell boys and front desk employee's are all friendly as well. Joshua at the front desk is always friendly as well. The Manager of this property, David Rubio is over the top awesome and makes us laugh every day. You will find him EVERYWHERE, doing EVERYTHING. He's on the food line, he greets people, seats people, makes himself available by walking the property numerous times daily. I have even seen him on the beach tiding up and talking with people. The staff loves him and want to work hard for him. He knows I'm a Giants fan and two years in a row he had the Baker make me an edible dessert decorated with San Francisco Giants, colored with Orange and black with even the finest details of hand made little baseballs of chocolate and coconut. The maids are excellent, room service is fast and on the mark....when we've ever had any problem in the room, someone is immediately sent to take care of it. AND if you enjoy pampering yourself...The Awe Spa is absolutely gorgeous....it's something you have to see for yourself..........it's incredible. This property is all around an amazing place to spend your tropical vacation. You won't want to leave once you get there and you can't wait to get back after you've left. Numero uno for us.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are Ocean view or partial ocean view. Just have them make a note when you make you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
West Covina, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Amazing service the hotel is beautiful and everyone is so nice and willing to go out of their way to make sure your having a great time. I would highly recommend this Hotel. We are definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My 15 year old daughter and I stayed at Playacar Palace in July 2014 and we LOVED our time spent there! This was a very special mother/daughter trip! (Thank you to my husband for staying back on the home front to look after our son!) My husband and I had travelled to Playa del Carmen before, so I carefully researched an all-inclusive hotel for my daughter and I to stay at that had the following criteria:
1. in Playa del Carmen
2. on the beach
3. within walking distance to 5th Avenue
We were thrilled with our choice. We had a room with a full ocean view on the 5th floor, and it was definitely worth it for us! The room was very nice, and the bed was SUPER comfortable - we slept like logs the whole trip. The view was gorgeous, and we loved the warm pool with the swim up bar! We spent lots of time in the pool, walking the BEAUTIFUL beach, swimming in the ocean, and walking along 5th Avenue in the evenings after our early dinner. We felt totally safe. I would recommend bringing a flashlight for the very short walk from the hotel up a short laneway to 5th Avenue. Security is at the top and bottom of this laneway, but we still came home around 9 pm and we felt totally safe, but it was quite dark along the brief time spent on the laneway, so a flashlight was helpful to navigate along the cobblestone road. From a previous trip to Playa del Carmen, I knew that walking 5th Avenue in the early evening is so much fun, so I hoped it would feel safe to walk from the hotel to edge of 5th Avenue, so I was so pleased we could do this! We also watched 2 of the evening shows at the hotel which were GREAT (the fire show and the light show) and we still managed to fit in our nightly 5th Avenue walk as long as we had a bit of an early dinner in the buffet restaurant. LOVED it!

The staff at Playacar Palace are SO WONDERFUL!! They made our trip extra special. Every single person we met was so welcoming and friendly. At the end of this review, I am going to make special mention of the staff that we had a special bond with, but honestly, they were all amazing! I wish I could remember everyone's name because they are truly beautiful, hard working people, and are all so deserving of a special mention. I know this is an all-inclusive hotel, and I'm not sure how many people tip while they are there, but my daughter and I were so appreciative of the wonderful service, so we always left a tip for housekeeping, restaurant staff, porter, driver, bar staff, mini-bar, and the SPA! We are not big spa people, but we both had our nails done and it was so much fun. I've heard many others say how much they loved the spa services.

Playacar Palace has a fairly low-key foyer/entrance, but the beach is gorgeous and the pool is beautifully warm (I had previously stayed at a beautiful 5 star AI hotel in the area, and the pool was not heated, so there is definitely a difference! Who knew that pools needed to be heated in Mexico (lol).... At the other hotel with the unheated pool, hardly anyone was swimming, but this pool had loads of people in it enjoying time spent in the pool!

My daughter and I were 100% happy with our choice! (for comparison purposes, I had previously loved and stayed at the 5 star Royal Playa del Carmen (adults only)). I have read some of the comments that Playacar Palace is a bit worn down, so I was aware that this is not a new hotel, but it is extremely well maintained, and it wouldn't be fair to compare a 4 star hotel with a 5 star hotel. I felt it was well-deserving to receive rave reviews as a 4 star hotel, so I hope people will keep that in mind when they arrive. And the people that work there are incredibly warm and hard working.

My daughter and I really hope to return one day - we would definitely return to Playacar Palace again!

Special mentions and thank you to:
Driver to hotel: Fernando
Front desk: Carmen
Resort credits information: Christina
Café del mar: Betzabee, Rodolfo, Cesareo, Antonio, Elvia, Isabele, Guadalupe
Pool bar: Leonardo, Fernando (there were others! I wish I had written their names down!!)
Spa: Ana, Coral
Entertainment: Ivan, Aline, Caesar, and the fire and light show entertainers!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter. Our room was full ocean view, south side, on the 5th floor.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We have just returned after 2 weeks at the Playacar Palace. This is our second visit to this fantastic hotel. The hotel has a wonderful beach and very warm blue waters. It is ideal for all ages.
The hotel is run by Manager David Rubio who along with all the staff make you feel very very special. The food is great and lots of choices. The restaurants are Asian, Italian, Buffet, Cosmopolitan, Steak House and outdoor bbq. The rooms are clean and a good size. We had a room with great view of the ocean.There is a jacuzzi in each room. The hotel is 5 minute walk from 5th Avenue shopping district very safe to walk around. Entertainment round the pool is good fun.
With thanks to David and all the staff for a special holiday we are hoping to visit them all again next year.

Sykesville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Just returned from a week at Playacar Palace and couldn't be happier about the stay. We had a partial ocean view room booked but when we got to our room, it was total ocean view, it was amazing. Our room was on the 4th floor and from that vantage point you could see so much. Especially when it was a clear day, you could see cozumel out in the distance! The room was very clean and modern. Our 2 children ages 10 and 12 liked the fact that there was a jacuzzi right in the room. They loved it! There is a Señor frogs bar right next to the resort, but that really wasn't a problem for us at night, we were so exhausted each day that the noise didn't effect our sleep, but I could see some people complaining about it.
The waitstaff at this resort caters to you completely. We aren't diamond, elite or any other type members of these Palace Resorts but we sure felt like royalty. We just booked this resort based on our travel agents recommendation. The staff totally welcomes you and makes you feel so wonderful. It's always their pleasure to assist you in any way they can. A few people I would like to recognize are: Perla, while at the pool and beach, she would always make sure we had what we needed whether it be a cold drink or lunch for the kids, she truly is an amazing worker.
Rodolfo was an amazing waiter in the buffet area as well as Porofiro. Emer made me a great salmon ravioli one night and an awesome steak the next. Aline kept us busy with games and such at the pool, she was part of the amazing entertainment staff. I could go on and on about how wonderful the staff are!
We had a great hibachi dinner show 1 evening but for the most part ate at the buffet for dinner every other night. Food was very good and lots of it whenever you were hungry!
We shopped at the 5th avenue district a few times, it is literally about 5 mins walk from the property. Always felt safe there, lots to see! Didn't use any resort credit, not that interested in the spa and didn't know if you had to sit through a time share spiel so we didn't bother inquiring about the credits. When we checked out we received a card that had 1500 resort credits, they were valid 2 weeks after our trip and were good for 2 years. We are able to use them or give them to friends. I would definitely stay at this resort again if our travels took us back to Mexico.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!