“Had a great vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

Save Saved
You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #10 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Seattle, Washington
“Had a great vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is a great resort and they take very good care of you. We enjoyed our time by the pool and always had a fresh drink. Food was great and our favorite waiter Deoncio took very good care of us. We stayed for 6 nights and my only complaint was that to have a room with beach access we could not have a king bed. Very clean resort with helpful staff.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade your room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Shaunn M

Thank you for your kind review on TRIPADVISOR. Dionisio, and the entire Playacar Family truly appreciates it. I will personally tell Dionisio about your comment

We really hope to see you back soon.

2,118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen for 3 nights in January 2014. My husband and 11 month old daughter were very comfortable at this hotel.
We enjoyed free wi-fi, a beautiful location, awesome food/beverage, outstanding service and a lovely, clean and spacious room.
The room and bathroom were very clean and maintaned well. We did not have a tub to bathe our baby in, but we got creative and used the jacuzzi for that. The portable crib that was provided for her was something we opted not to use. It was filthy and did not have proper bedding, so we just had the baby sleep with us in our King bed which was fine for us, but may not be desireable for some.
The staff took a genuine interest and care in our daughter. They made sure she was well taken care of and we had everything we needed for her. They all were very happy to have her and made us feel very welcome.
The location of the hotel was very close to everything we wanted to see. We enjoyed transportation to and from the airport with Loma Travel. The shuttle had more than enough space for 2 suitcases, carry on luggage, a stroller, and easily accomodated our car seat and car seat base that we brought from home.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return. Clean, convenient, AMAZING staff, comfortable for familes with small children.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 217 which was handicap accessible. It was not a big deal for us, but thought it wa...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear AleciaW744

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on probably, your first visit of your baby to Mexico. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. I would like to say that you are now part of the Palace Resorts family, the three of you and the little one!

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

First off, I've been coming to Playa del Carmen for 20 years and have stayed in several hotels in the Riviera Maya area. That being said, know what you are looking for in your vacation/holiday. The Playacar Palace is the resort for you if you are looking for a great family resort on or near 5th Avenue. The resort itself is well kept despite its age; the staff is meticulously cleaning. As for the comments about insects, you're in the jungle people. I am no fan of insects or reptiles, but know that man built over the jungle in this area so we need to thank the hotel for doing the best they can but be mindful of mother nature.

Check-in was relatively easy. We arrived close to 3 hours before official check-in and the staff
was as accommodating as they could be. There is a time-share proposal but it was the most
NON-PUSHY discussion we had ever had and really appreciated that the philosophy communicated by Cristina, the staff person assigned to "welcome" us, is that they want us to return under whatever format is most comfortable for us.

Our room was nice, with modern decor. Our bed was very comfortable. Maid service was meticulous every day. The minibar was restocked every day. All of the staff that we encountered
were friendly and engaged. Please tip for services. Even the person who is getting you coffee at the buffet deserves a tip. We saw many instances where patrons were not tipping and were disappointed.

There were nightly programs/shows, but we did not partake. However, I wanted to provide this information to folks who might be wondering about it. There was a casino night, aquatic show and a Mexican dance show. There were activities throughout the day by the pool too. The overall aura of the activities was fun and "chill.". Nothing was over the top, which was just our
speed and I think catered to the diverse crowd.

The food at the buffet was very good---more diverse than many all inclusives that I've stayed before --- think quinoa with salmon, traditional mexican dishes, fresh juices and burgers. I also appreciated that they would switch out the food often to avoid a dish sitting out for too long. Celeste was awesome at making made to order eggs, omelettes and waffles in the morning. Porofino was our very attentive waiter almost every day.

The resort credits are another great value. People need to stop complaining about not being able to use all of the credits on the spa---you still get a free 50 minute massage out of it people! The other credits are great too and quite honestly, you won't find this type of value at other hotels unless you agree to losing hours on timeshare sales pitches!

The beach on which the hotel sits is also great...mostly white sand which is why a lot of folks are not taking up chairs by the pool!

So if you are looking for a great value of a family friendly resort, the Playacar Palace is your best option!

One suggestion would be for better lighting for the pedestrian trail that leads to 5th Avenue. It is still quite dark at night despite the existing lighting. I also think that perhaps serving some local fruit like mangoes would be great, even as an afternoon treat by the pool!

Thank you to the Playacar Palace team for a great stay! We will see you again next year!

My only suggestion

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sharkzilla

We truly appreciate your review, was lovely to receive you at Playacar Palace for your holidays!.
Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.

Christina, Porfirio, Celeste and all the Playacar Family feel proud and happy to see this review, and make it possible.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon! Fell free to contact me for your next stay.

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

This was our first visit to PlayaCar Palace..... We were not impressed except for some of there staff who went above and beyond. We booked a room with a king bed and balcony... well that's what we thought and they fooled us. We even paid more money from what we thought but that was not true. When we got there no king bed rooms were available. They said they were putting us in a room with 2 queens. Cool we will take that and we can still sleep together. So we were skipping and smiling and super stocked to get to our room. You know finally 4nights and 5 days alone with NO kids!! Got to the room #305 and it had 2 double beds and NO balcony. :( we were supper bummed out. We complained and nothing was done. We went higher up and complained and nothing done. They said we would have to pay $75.00 more each night for a King bed. WHAT!!!! We paid more already for the King. We would have had NO PROBLEM paying more for a guaranteed king bed when we booked the room prior to the vacation. When we got there we could not afford to up grade a room for that much more because of our budget. We put money into other things. They did not care one bit. I don't know but I have worked in the customer service field for well over 20 years now. Never in my life would a company I worked for let something like this happen without offering something. My suggestion to PlayaCar Palace is if your customers are NOT happy offer to make up for it. Try to make them happy!!! I know we are NOT your Diamond, or so on regulars here. But you never know we might have been there to become that. An I'm sorry this has happened and lets give you a couple of hours in our spa to make up for it, or some more credits....SOMETHING, ANYTHING...even a sorry. You made us feel like just another person.

So for future couples going....which I don't recommend. Its not an all couples resorts and you are not promised a certain size bed or room. You can not actually use all your credits for the things that you want to do. If you are not rich or bought into "there" Diamond Elite club which they push and try to sell you this for 90 freaking minutes of your time LOST. They really don't care to much about you. Look at other resorts before booking at this one. I don't hold a grudge and yes im over it and it is what it is. But I will not go back to Palace resort. I will book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Really can't help out here because we didn't get what we wanted in our room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Mr. Thornton,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We will take your feedback into consideration and we apologize for not being able to completely satisfy you during your visit with us.

I would like to enlighten that Palace Resorts does not guarantee the kind of bed in the room, for that reason we do not charge any difference in price for a king bed versus double bed on a Superior Deluxe Room. These is an extract of the reservation

ARRIVAL: JAN14 DEPARTURE: JAN14 NIGHTS: 04
ROOM TYPE: DB ROOMS: 1
BLOCK: Sup Dlx Partial Ocv

According to the information written , our front desk proposes you to upgrade to a Concierge Level Room, this category offers king beds in all their rooms. As long as your category does not confirm king of bed, our intention was to satisfy your need.

At your disposal,

Playacar Palace GM
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Let me say I've never stayed at an "all inclusive" place before, and probably wouldn't have, but my nephew booked his wedding there. My husband and I flew down for 4 days and 3 nights, and I am so sorry we couldn't stay longer. The accommodations were clean, beautiful, and "all inclusive." There was a bottle of wine to greet us, a stocked liquor cabinet and fridge with mixers, bottles of water, beer, juice: you name it. I'm not a big drinker, so I was not excited about the price of the stay there (not being used to "all inclusive" pricing), but it was so worth it. You really didn't "want" for anything. Whatever you wanted, it was included. And the pool looked like it would be lots of fun for a family with children- there were lots of activities to keep everyone happy and engaged.

The spa was beautiful and I had a massage by Maria that was one of the best I've ever had. The hydrotherapy room can be used before and after the massage, but due to our tight wedding schedule, I wasn't able to take advantage of everything there. I did, however, get a sauna before the massage which was amazing: lightly scented aroma therapy going on in there and an ice-cold dipping pool to cool off in.

I loved the food there- lots of selections in the buffet area and it was continually refreshed so nothing was old or tired looking. But my favorite was the Italian Restaurant. Domingo, Rafael, Efron, and Jazz all made sure our dinner was delicious, unrushed, and spectacular. The Mexican coffee with dessert was a nice finale, and we had a magician come around and entertain us as well. A very, very fabulous night. This is a "dress up" restaurant and you must wear long pants, men. Probably other dress codes in place, too.

We didn't have time to take advantage of all the amenities that came with the "points" and we left without using most of them up, but that was OK. One thing that I thought was interesting was that you could only use a certain number of your points at each thing. So instead of using all my points at the spa and getting a free massage, I could only use, say 100 points there and then pay for the rest of the massage. So I ended up paying (can't remember exactly) around $35 for the massage which is probably the going rate in Mexico for a massage anyway, but it was at a very nice resort. Add the tip and it was no great bargain, but very enjoyable.

My luggage was lost at the airport, too, so it was nice to be able to go to the shopping area close by to get some clothes to wear. All in all, I would highly recommend this place, and would actually love to go back. The beach was beautiful and maintained quite well. And the wedding was exceptionally beautiful. I believe the bride and groom were happy with all the planning and execution of the event. One thing at the wedding reception that was unusual: there was someone there rolling cigars for the guests. Pretty darned cool.

And the best part- it was all inclusive. You didn't have to worry that getting a bottled water or a margarita on the beach was going to add to your check-out bill. Even the room phone was free. Amazing. I guess that's why they call it all inclusive.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor and the view from our balcony was amazing.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Marsha E

Thank you very much for such an extense review about Playacar Palace. Your comments about us will make us better day by day.

Let me assure you that our only goal day by day is the comfort of our guests and everyone is doing their greatest effort to create memories and make our guests feel welcome.

Domingo, Jazz, Rafael, Efrain and the entire Playacar family is the secret of Playacar Palace. As you mentioned, me , and so many people are working harder and harder day by day to get as close as we can to perfection

Please let me know if you have any requests to make your next stay even more comfortable. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went to Playacar for our honeymoon, and that was the best choice ever. I have not a bad word to say about the place, the service and the experience we had these 10 days. Incredible location, the beach is quiet and pretty. The staff is the most frendly, warm and serviceminded people! The resort is clean and was well maintained . Our room (governor suite) was more than perfect, it was luxurious and clean. The roomservice was delivered very quickly. We ate all our meals at the buffet, and it was so many dishes to choose from, the food was delicious, tasty and we looked forward to every meal. The dessert table was magical. And the staff at the buffet were so polite and helpful. The waitresses on the beach was phenomenal!

All the smiles that greeted us every day is something we will never forget and we are looking forward to returning to this beautiful place and these wonderful people.

-Espen and Tuva

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your comments.

We also want to thank you for choosing us for such an important day of your life and we feel glad you enjoyed our service welcome to the Playacar family. We consider you already part of the Playacar Family

Please contact me to make your first anniversary with us even better, and maybe...you will be three!

Congratulations, our best wishes to Norway and ... Hasta pronto!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I've lost track of the number of times we have been to Playacar Palace (I think it's about 10-12), but this was our 3rd trip of the year here. This review is a little late. We travelled to Playacar Palace in November 2013. We usually travel as a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young children), but this time we also brought my mother-in-law with us for the journey. As always it was amazing! Each time we return to Playacar Palace it just gets better and better. People are often shocked that we can return to the same resort so much, but once you go to Playacar Palace, you won't go anywhere else!!! The staff is outstanding and I think this is what keeps us coming back. Every single staff member will go out of their way to make sure that you are having a good time. There are so many staff members that contributed to our holiday being fantastic. Elizabeth at the front desk did a great job of situating us close to the restaurants/pool area as my mother-in-law has bad knees and can't walk far. The entertainment staff of Aline, Alexander, Cesar, and Ivan made us laugh every single day. In the buffet restaurant, Guadalupe, Jose Francisco, Dominicio, and so many other servers (too many to name) made us feel so welcome, and always came over to see how we were doing.. The food here is excellent. There is always a variety of dishes, and the theme changes daily. Both the Italian and the Asian restaurants are exceptional and you don't need reservations most nights. The kids LOVED the hibachi show at the Asian Restaurant - make sure you reserve this in advance as it is a hit. The wine list is extensive and has some great wines on it. We used our resort credits for wine upgrades, so each bottle only cost about $4 USD. We had a nice bottle of wine every night with dinner. The front desk was always very helpful, and always gave me smaller bills so that we could tip all of the great people that served us. Yes, TIP the staff. They deserve it!! My kids absolutely love the kids club, and Catalina who works there. She isn't there anymore, which they are very sad about, but I am sure that whoever fills in for her will also be just as great with the kids. They played xbox, climbed around on the climbing structure, coloured, it is a good way for them to get a break from the sun, or to allow us adults to go to the gym or lounge on the beach kid-free. The nighttime dinner kids club is what makes this resort excel over others. I think we had a kid-free adult dinner (no stress!) almost every night, followed by drinks while we waited for them to be finished at 9pm. The GM David is a fantastic manager! He is always walking around the resort making sure everything is perfect, and conversing with the guests. Towards the end of our trip my youngest daughter got sick with an ear infection/fever and David called in a doctor for her. THANK YOU!!!! The restaurant staff even went to a store to buy her Gatorade and crackers. Their kindness was incredible. I will quickly add that the resort credits are not a scam, and they can be used for a number of different excursions, SPA, tequila. Yes, you do have to pay a tiny bit of money, but it is still totally worth it. Once again, we had a fantastic time, and we are counting down the days until we return in March 2014.... just 6 more weeks to go! My kids love Playacar Palace so much, that my oldest daughter who is 6yrs old told me she wants to move to Mexico and join the Playacar Entertainment Staff. This resort is outstanding for families and I can't say enough about it to do it justice. Just go!!!! :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
You were and you will always be " treated as family", that was the only thing we did, and that is the only thing we will keep doing every visit.

Alexander, Cesar, Ivan, Guadalupe, Jose Francisco, Dominicio, Elizabeth, myself...everybody send you our best wishes, and we really hope to see you back soon!

Tale care, and do not forget to write me before your arrival...Hasta Pronto

D Rubio
Playacar Palace G.M.

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!