“Wonderful hotel in a wonderful location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Oakville, Canada
“Wonderful hotel in a wonderful location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed in this hotel from Jan 5th to Jan 9th and were treated in such a wonderful and welcoming way by the staff. The food was consistently delicious and fresh and everything tasted flavourful and authentic. From when we got there our bell boy Ulysses gave us wonderful service with a smile every time we saw him and made us feel right at home. Rodrigo, our main bartender knew every drink we threw at him and was a fantastic and engaging person to talk to. The rooms were so clean and inviting and we got a free upgrade to a jacuzzi room when we arrived at no extra cost. I never saw one bug or anything that made me feel uncomfortable and doubting my choice in hotel. The beach was great too being very clean and well maintained.

The only negative I can think of is when our all-inclusive bracelets came off. We were told that we could stay until 8:00pm the day of check out but as soon as we started walking through the hotel with no bracelets we were bombarded with questioning and security telling us that we could not be there. We had booked a best day shuttle the following day to go back to the airport and when we got there in the morning we were treated with a little bit of hostility by the staff because again, no bracelets. I understand the tight ship that must be run to maintain the integrity of an all inclusive hotel but to get hostile over me taking $.20 cents of muffins after I had just spent a mint there seemed sightly over the top.

Overall, the positives far outweigh the negatives and this is a hotel I would love to return to time and time again because of the location and wonderful friendly staff like Ulysses and Rodrigo.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Mr. David

I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to serve you on your most recent vacation in Playacar Palace.
We really appreciate you have taken the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here.
The security of our guests is principal, and being in such a central location we should be very careful about the people that access to the property without armbands. Please, accept my apologies for that Mr. David

I hope to have you again with us in the near future, and I am at your disposal

Gracias y hasta Pronto
Playacar Palace GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We loved the location and generally friendly staff. The food was good.

As other reviewers have pointed out, some aspects felt like a bit of scam. When booking, they offered us free tickets to a show, but on arrival they said that the tickets at this level were no longer available, and to see the show we'd need to "upgrade" for $80 per person. What a bait and switch! Similarly, the resort credits have per item limits. Since we were traveling with young children and most of the trips couldn't accommodate them, we thought we'd be able to use all of the credits for the spa. No go. They have a $300 limit on their use so could not at the end of it, use the resort credits.

The rooms are very dated. And it took 4 phone calls to get the roll out bed for my child (that we'd requested in our booking and re-confirmed twice).

So, in general, while a friendly and nice hotel, I wasn't wowed by it and wouldn't go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Joinville, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel really surprised me. Wonderful place, impeccable cleanliness, wonderful service from all the staff. We felt very welcome in Playacar. We recommend this hotel for sure. Will definitely come back soon! Congratulations to the whole team!

Room Tip: Ask for a oceanview room above the third floor and away from the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Anaps1980

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your comments. The entire Playacar Family feel proud of been part of your holidays and we send you our best wishes.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me to make of your next stay, something even better!

Hasta pronto

Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Ok, I have stayed at two other Palace resorts in Mexico and had a great experience so I am a little surprised that I'm writing such a terrible review. The biggest issue the resort has is that they must train their staff to say "NO" or some variation of no to every customer's request. For example, if you ask for a large bottle of water they will tell you that they can bring you two small ones…? If you ask for more of the CHI brand lotion to be brought up to your room, they will just tell you "no" it's not in your plan??? When my boyfriend and I checked into our room our king bed had sheets and a comforter on it made for a double, when I called housekeeping they came up and inspected it and told me to wait one minute-one day and 3 phone calls later we never got it fixed. The restaurants would just plain forget to bring our food and when we'd ask them about the rest of our order they would say "relax", we often walked away having only eaten half of what we ordered. We ordered room service, waited an hour and when it didn't come we called down and they had sent it to the wrong room. We told them to forget it and we went down to eat and when we returned the food was up in our room spoiling. One evening we left our safe open and the maid closed and locked it with her own code??? we had to have someone come and open the safe and I swear they took some cash from our wallets. My advice is to stay away from Playacar Palace, if you'd like to stay near downtown Playacar there are a lot of other hotels in the area. We had a great time going into downtown and the ferry is nearby to take you over to Cozumel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Jenna

The entire Playacar Family always do our best everyday when we wake up, as several reviews mentioned, your review on Trip advisor really have an effect on us, and my only intention, is to thank you for your comments and tell you how much we sorry the circumstances you went trough. Guadalupe at Café del Mar, Oscar, our Chef, and also Mara Martinez, our Public Relations Manager, who helps you with the extra person at the chef’s dinner, people who perfectly remind you and your lovely group were really affected when read the comments, and we wanted for you to know that we are sorry for not satisfied your expectations.

As mentioned before, we want to thank you for your remarks, we will work harder to improve them Jenna.

I am at your disposal for any need, and please, do not hesitate to contact me for any need

Thank you for your time, and good luck in your future travels.

Playacr Palace GM
Dana Point, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here as part of a wedding party of about 40-50 people over thanksgiving break 2013. The staff is very helpful and we had great service. The property is well kept, the food is actually pretty good (especially the wood fire pizza's by the pool and the buffet). The bars were hit or miss. For the most part, the liquor is average at best BUT you have to know which bartenders have the good stuff. You can get don julio and johnnie walker black label (be nice to them, they'll take care of you).

The location is great, the beach is very nice, and there are plenty of beach/pool activities (ping pong, volleyball, soccer, etc.). Located right near Senor Frogs and the 12th street nightlife is about 10 blocks walking distance.

Rooms are nice, but we were originally put in a handicap room on the noisy 2nd floor right near the pool and lobby. We complained about the room but were told that there were no other rooms available. When we got back to the room, I inspected the handicap bathroom to see if we would be able to handle it, and then I realized that there was dry urine on the seat that had not been cleaned! We called in to complain again and were told they could move us the next morning and would clean it right away. We left for a few hours, came back and still it was not clean. We called it in again, then left for the night, so hours later it was finally cleaned, but the next morning we were moved to a much better normal room. This experience was the only negative part but it ended of great.

The wedding party was taken care of, the wedding itself was beautiful even though it rained an hour before the ceremony, the reception was awesome as well. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

We all consider you and your family, part of the Playacar family, and was an honor for all of to be part of such an special date as a wedding. We all thank you for your kind review.

All the Playacar Family hope to see you back soon again, and please, feel free to contact us before your arrival to create something special.

Hasta Pronto!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I went stayed at Playacar Palace in Jan '13. This resort is beautiful and in the perfect location! Just steps from 5th Avenue, where there is a lot of great dining and shopping options, and right by the ferry to Cozumel, you can't find a resort in a better spot. The food and drinks were fantastic, definitely worth the all-inclusive pricing. We will be back here many more times, and are even thinking of planning our wedding here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear StaceyF

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a praising review on TripAdvisor.com.

I have shared it with all the persons you named and they are really thankful. Thanks you very much again I do hope to see you again soon!

Please, do not hesitate to contact me before you came to get everything ready before your arrival.

Hasta Pronto

Ivyland, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We chose to stay at Playacar Palace after visiting for the day while at another resort several years ago. So glad we did. We were celebrating our anniversary. Had dinner@ Momonohana that night & the manager (Sergio)gave us a special table off to the side which was decorated beautifully. That is actually our favorite restaurant at the hotel. Sushi is so fresh.Our fantastic waiters were either Raul &Alejandro. Just can't say enough about the staff. They all went above & beyond. Miriam in the Cafe del Mar remembered us each morning & also if we ate lunch there too & to seat us in the section of our favorite waiter there, Dioneseo. Loved Juana, Erika,& Bernice out by the pool. Kept the drinks coming !!!! Also Cesar & the entertainment staff by the pool were great w/ lots of fun & games by the pool each day. I especially like the water aerobics w/Cesar. Saskia & Marra were very helpful resolve 2 slight issues that came up. Our room overlooked the ocean & pool. Very spacious & clean. The new spa is beautiful, so relaxing & staff there as well made the experience over the top !!! Love that resort is within walking distance to the shopping on 5th ave. & the ferry to Cozumel. The time of year we were there (November) hardly any children. I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat. Small resort so very personal service w/ excellent staff. The only drawback I feel is they could use another restaurant. Cafe del Mar was great for breakfast & lunch buffet but don't want buffet for dinner. Can also get snacks & pizza by the pool. Had pizza by the pool one night, another we had the Italian, Momonohana several nights as it was our favorite & one night went in town for a change. One thing I'd like people to know is apparently the Italian restaurant changes there menu every other night. If I had known this we would have gone again. The only night we went,although what we had was good, the menu seemed limited.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a balcony. Not all rooms have them
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!