“Unbelievable!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

Save Saved
You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #10 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Rayleigh
“Unbelievable!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We arrived here on 28th Sept 2013. Check in was quick, and we were shown straight to our room. The room was clean and very spacious. I was a little disappointed as we never had a balcony, although the view was still outstanding! We used some of our credits to upgrade to concierge. Which meant I now had a balcony and was a happy bunny. The food at this resort was excellent, and its been the first time, in my experience you could actually make a decent meal out of a buffet, at an all inclusive resort. We tried both the a la carte restaurants, and the food and the service was the kind you would expect from a 5 star restaurant and pay at least £100.00 per couple. If you want the tepanyaki then you must book as the spaces are limited, but other than that, no reservation is needed. Rudolph was our waiter for most of the 2 week stay and he was always so helpful, and made us Mayan coffees, yummy, and a banana flambe.
The resort credits are a fantastic idea, we had $2,500, and didnt spend them all. If you take into consideration that if you use the credits you have to pay the tax (11%) you still need to spend over £250.00 to use them all. They do come in handy for the trips, and the spa, although I never used the spa I know people who did and they were impressed.
We went on the Captain Hooks Galleon Pirate Ship, couldnt use the credits for this, and I think it was about $90.00 each. But well worth every penny, I would recommend this to everyone. They put on a show, quite funny as well, children are catered for, although it can be a late night, we never got back until midnight, and started at 7pm. The food on this trip was lovely, I had the surf n turf, and warned my husband "the food wont be as it looks on the leaflet"....I was right, it was better! steak, lobster, chicken, salads, jacket potatoes rice, pasta etc, and the crew (pirates) were not shy with keeping your glasses full either.The photo for this is $20.00 so take some cash.
We also did the dolphin swim, I actually cried as it was so emotional. You can use your credits for this, but if you want the upgrade to a royal swim, then its $60.00 each.
The pool was clean, and never seemed overly busy. Plenty of sun loungers around the pool. The beach is amazing, with the dock for the ferry to cozumel on the beach.
The staff around the pool will always be on hand to bring you drinks, and your hardly without. The barstaff at the pool are excellent, friendly, funny, and with a brilliant sense of humour, Gerardo, Israel and Ivan made sure we were always watered! The food at the pool is adequate for lunch time as well, if you didnt fancy the buffet.
The waitresses in the Cielo bar and luna bar are just as friendly, and very efficient! keeping our glasses refilled, greeting us by our names, and our "usual" drinks especially Nora. Then theres the entertainment team!!!!!.....well what can I say? The poolside was always the hive of activity, with funny games, inc Bingo, without being too in your face or hi de hi! They work extremely hard, and again, always remember your names. Cesar, Alex, Aline, Ivan, and the other 2 ladies whos names escape me...were without doubt what kept us all going. We had just 1 day of rain, and they still entertained us.
I would go back to this resort in a flash, no hesitation.
The staff are definitely the Jewel in this resorts crown.

Room Tip: All with a sea view, but if you want a balcony make sure you ask when booking.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

2,119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Toronto, Canada

2013-09 Playacar Palace Resorts

This is our fifth trip to Playacar Palace and each trip is better than the last, despite the mostly rainy days. This being the first time we had bad weather at this time of the year. This resort in the Palace chain is very special to us as we made so many friends there with other guests and the staff who are always there with a smile and “my pleasure”. We love the size with 200 rooms and proximity to Playa Del Carmen 5th avenue filled with shops, restaurants and bars. It is a vibrant area with lots of activity. The beach is one of the best in the Mayan Riviera mainly due to Cozumel blocking the big waves. Cozumel ferry is a 1 minute walk.

The resort is special because it starts with the leadership of the GM David Rubio who leads from the front picking up empty plates and anything that is out of order while on his daily tour. It travels down to his managers who all follow suit and ensure all their guests have a fabulous experience.

All renovations are complete for the near future with only decorating, new furniture and painting to be done throughout the resort.

The new spa and gym are amazing with fantastic layout and ambience so relaxing. We pre booked all our treatments which proved so convenient. Virginia gave us a great deep tissue massage and Nidia was fantastic with the deluxe manicure and pedicure.

Mo-Mo-No-Ha-Na Restaurant is completely renovated and includes Teppanayaki tables. The atmosphere, food and service are outstanding. Jamie is the newly appointed Head Chef, Sergio Armando is the Captain who greats you with a smile a welcome to make you feel like you’re home. Mario (Super Mario) cooked our dinner and entertained us as well and Antonio provided his excellent service.

The newly renovated Luna Lounge is spectacular and includes pool tables. It reopened the day we left and will have to wait until we return to enjoy it. It was certainly amazing how quickly the contractors completed this Reno with no disruption to the guests.

Playacar offers one of the finest Italian restaurant, Terrazza, in Playa Del Carment. The menu changes every Wednesday and offers a wonderful variety. Jazz, the Captain, is well informed about the wine selection and recommended perfect choices for our entrees. Claudia at Reception greets everyone so warmly and remembered our last visit. We observed one afternoon the staff using a string to align the tables and chairs perfectly. Now that is attention to detail. All of the Wait Staff in this restaurant as the others are highly trained to provide exceptional service especially Cristal, Alonzo and Cesar.

Café Del Mar offers a buffet breakfast and lunch as well as a rotating International/Mexican buffet dinner. The variety and food here as well is exceptional. There was not one dish we tried that we did not like. I watched Guadeloupe one day who I believe is a head waiter and was so impressed I told him what exceptional service and attention he was providing to the guests. Thank you, Mario Alberto, Luis and Porfinio for your attention and service. Efran is the Captain in the evening and Efran, thank you so much for your personal attention. Miguel Angel and Cristina looked after us during Independence Day Fiesta.

The Chef’s dinner was a seafood feast for the senses with wine pairing. Captain Efran and Chef Fernandez provided a wonderful experience. The service by the Wait Staff was top notch.

A very important aspect to having a wonderful vacation is the resort staff. We annually visit Playacar because all of the staff there makes us feel special. They are so gracious with their warm welcome, their friendship and their attentive service. We would like to pay special mentions to the following members who made our stay memorable. Angle, Leonardo and Martha in the Lobby Bar. The servers, Perla, Juana, Berenice, Ana at the Pool/Beach area and , Javier and Gerardo at the pool bar.

I have to make a mention of Mateo Sulub, Beverage manager, for the personal attention and friendship. Mateo treated us to a tequila tasting one night and was always there with a smile and drink.

Special thanks to Jose Miguel in security keeping a watchful eye on thing and is very personable, found my iPad that I forgot in the lobby bar after a few too many tequilas and dancing. Just another example of the staff taking care of us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We had a truly great time (10/4-10/9/13) the staff was polite and attentive. The staff at the Luna and Lobby lounges remembered what we liked to drink and as soon as we sat down they would bring them to us. The entertainment staff was also pretty good providing guest with pool entertainment and karaoke. Most of the food was good with the exception of hamburgers which were pretty awful. The beach and pool area was kept clean. All in all the Palace was wonderful and we have already recommended them to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We booked this hotel for it's location. It's at the centre of things and must be one of the first hotels built in the area. Its a grand old hotel IMO. It's not a resort. I wouldn't return to this place but thats personal and there are many hotels that have given me a good time but I wouldn't return to because there are other things to see and experience. I thought the food was good and I enjoyed my time in the Asian place. Emer made a great pizza at the pool/aqua bar. There was always food to eat and the drinks are great. The guys at the aqua bar are great with the service during the day. Rooms are big and the jet baths are amazing. Brilliant toiletries supplied. The towel service is a bit here and there but it wasn't a problem and if you found it a problem then I'm sure it would only take a phone call to sort out. The beach is amazing and worth the stay alone. If you have booked this place or are thinking about it then do it. You will meet a great bunch of folk in the staff and be at a prime location in the town and you'll also be staying at a grand old lady to boot. PS. if you like a coffee in the morning this place has the best coffee machines in your room. I didn't see anything that gave me the impression that this hotel was run down like some reviews stated. The resort credits!! All good on this front. Booked a seaview and got a tree view after an upgrade??

Room Tip: I think the seaview rooms are good enough. You get what you pay for and we paid for a sea view. Upgr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our third trip to Playacar Palace and each one seems to be better than the last. The attention to details, the service and the genuinely friendly smiles keep us coming back. Whether you want a quiet vacation or one that's filled with music and laughter and the chatter of people making new friends ~ this is the place to do it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Oakland Park, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

First the good: beautiful beach, friendly staff and nicely sized rooms, reasonably priced.
Now the not so good: Beds are not just firm, very firm, rib hurting firm!(very European)
"All inclusive" with a nice allowance but with significant strings attached. Commodities like sunblock were available for exorbitant prices and the allowance did not really cushion the blow. Massages etc, even with the allowance, were more expensive than they should be and there were limits on how much of the allowance that could be used per modality. Then the food...Mostly free, the oriental grill was an add on charge but fair with limited availability.. The American offerings, grilled steak, hamburgers, chicken nuggets, grilled fish were pretty awful. Example was the nuggets which were processed chicken of lower quality than even "Mc**"s".
So, in summary, a mixed bag, other options close by should at least be considered. Still, had a nice time and hot, humid, perfect beach weather helped

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Seaford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Spent an amazing 8 days (9/28-10/6) at Playacar Palace. We visited last October and couldn't wait to return - this time we brought friends. We all agreed - OUTSTANDING!

First I could not believe many of the staff remembered us. So friendly, so warm, so damn nice! We adored Nora and Martha and the Luna bar / Lobby Bar. Martha went so out of her way for my husband and I - practically had our drinks waiting when she saw us enter the lobby. Perla and Juana at the beach also always had a smile and a cold drink whenever we saw them

When we were here last year the spa was under construction. I was excited to see it completed and have NOTHING but praise for its beauty and the staff. I had the aroma-therapeutic massage (I get it every time I visit a palace resort) and it was one of the best I've ever had. Ratzier ( I am sure I am spelling it wrong) did the massage - AWESOME.

All the restaurants were great and the food excellent -service outstanding. Portofero every morning with my coffee ( no leche - Crema). Our hostess - excellent. Can't say enough good things about the staff. Playacar Palace did not disappoint - already looking to return Oct 2014!

All this with Play del Carmen, 5th Ave and the Mayan ruins as an awesome backdrop! We heard they plan to expand 5th Ave up to 65th street in the next few years. So much to di and see here - highly recommend Playa as a vacation destination!

Lovely beautiful hotel - you will love it and the staff within.

Room Tip: upgrade to concierge for full ocean view. We had room 427 - wonderful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!