“Rest and Fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

Save Saved
You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 199 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Rest and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I just came back from the Playacar Resort. And I have nothing but great things to say about this resort. They will do what it takes to make your stay the most memorable experience. The staff is very friendly like family. The maid even helped us with directions to a place we wanted to see. She overheard us talking and offered us directions never had a maid in a hotel give me directions to a place before. There are 2 restaurants that stand out at the Playacar resort, The La Terrazza try the Filet steak! and the Mo-Mo-No-Ha-NaOverall a 5 out of 5 stars for my wife and I. I can't wait to go back already counting down the days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 5th floor so you can overlook the whole resort property and the Caribbean sea.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Airdrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

After staying at the Isla Mujeres Palace resort, we asked to be transfered to this resort. Luckily a room became available and we stayed here for 6 nights. We liked this resort instantly, they gave us a 5th floor ocean view room. It was close to the elevator, but there was no extra noise.
The location of this resort is perfect, great beach and even thought the resort was fully booked, it was not too crowded and we never had a problem finding a good spot by the (heated) pool or on the beach. The staff is amazing, we were asked constantly if we needed anything and everyone made us feel special and we were well looked after.
The buffet is excellent and we also enjoyed the Japanese and Italian restaurants very much. It seemed there was always something going on, there was a wedding on the beach, Kareoke night and on our last night a spectacular fire show by the pool.
Since it is a family hotel, it is quiet after 10 PM.
The beach is wonderful, waves not too large and we walked along the ocean many times during the day and also at night, always very safe to do so.
It takes less than 5 minutes to walk into Playa del Carmen, where we enjoyed looking at all the different shops with local crafts, beautiful jewelry stores.You can get very good deals if you like to bargain, it is so much fun!
We also used up all our credits at the spa and took a trip to Cozumel, where we went to swim and snorkel with the stingrays. It was really awesome and I highly recommend this trip. Included was a one-way ferry and taxi ride, we had to pay ourselves to get back ($ 24 p.p.) We decided to stop by the Cozumel palace and had lunch there. This looks like a very nice resort as well, you can snorkel right off the beach. Not much for beach walking, but the pools looked very inviting and are also heated.
Over all , we really liked this resort and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: any room with ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

They say a place is as good as the people in it and we found this to be very true at Playacar Palace.

It did not matter which member of staff you met, they always had a smile for you.
The first day our room was not serviced until after 3.00 in the afternoon and I politely asked the maid if she could come early in the morning. Every day thereafter, our room was serviced before 10.00am.

It is difficult to name and thank all the staff whom we had contact with, but I must mention the unforgettable sweet Martha who really looked after us so well on the lovely beach and of course Gilbert who started our days off beautifully with a mimosa at breakfast time.

In our opinion New Years Eve could have been organised a little better, and we did hope to meet the General Manager to give him feedback, however we did not have the opportunity.

I would recommend Playacar Palace without hesitation and we send a special thanks to all the staff who helped to make our holiday so enjoyable.

Hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: We had a superior delux ocean view room on the 4th floor and it was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at your amazing resort in May of 2012. I am sorry this is so late, however I wanted to share my experience at your beautiful resort! First off, we were in a Honeymoon Suite on the 3rd floor, room 343. I spoke to Nancy, the Front Office Supervisor prior to our arrival, and asked her for the highest floor, as we do not like to be on the ground level, and enjoy the higher views. Nancy was so wonderful, and caring, and deserves kudos for her excellent service! Nancy also also assisted us when we had an evening flight, and allowed us to have a late checkout and enjoy the resort instead of sitting at the airport. Rudolpho at the Italian restaurant did a great job, even set up a beautiful table for us on our last evening. Perla was more than outstanding! Perla became a friend to us, we were sad to leave her. Perla is such an incredible employee, she provided a pool or beach setup daily, and kept our drinks flowing. I cannot say enough about Perla's sincere, excellent service. She even gave us gifts when we were departing, what a GEM you have! My Husband and I rarely ever go back to the same place twice, however, I cannot wait to go back and am about to book again this May and enjoy your resort again! We are looking forward to the new gym, and Spa.

Thank you so much, we truly appreciated this incredible vacation! See you soon!

Guillermo and Penelope Garcia

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Incredibly nice facility with very attractive rooms, great restaurants, great pool area, good room service and for the first time a proper welcome wine at the room. The only thing that was a shame is that a lot of staff appears with a false appearance and therefore I can not give full score to this resort. Most people who live in such an all inclusive resort wants a relaxing hassle-free vacation, and it was annoying that it was made a big deal out of my friend, who had left the hotel without getting cut off hotel arm band. Upon check in, it was also pointed out that our friend, that we paid 200dollar for a day pass to could not enter our room. It was a bit odd when we had some luggage and none were known at the resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had a lot of fun here but, the constant "battle" to get a drink or the 3 hours dinners were just not worth $600 a day. It's outrageously overpriced for the quality. I blame the travel agent (Vacation Superstore or eTravel@Omaha) for most of the overpricing. They charged us $600 for an actual $400 resort fee so we were disappointed when expecting a 5 star (or $600 daily charge) and really got a 3 start (or $400 resort).

Don't expect to be able to use your $1500 resort credit as you have to schedule everything a month before you get there and the excursions only run once a week so hope your trip lines up with the excursion you want. Irregardless, you have to pay the Taxes+Fees to use this resort credit so if you stayed there a month and found a way to use the credit you would still end up spending an additional $400-$500 on just Taxes+Fees. This place is a good resort but, its a complete scam on the price!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I was at Playacar Palace from December 31 to January 7. We have been to Mexico many times over the years. Big Resorts and smaller resorts all of being 5 star and by far this is my favourite.
This resort is a smaller resort delivering top notch service to everyone who comes. We decided on staying at this resort because of its closeness to Playa del Carmen and to be honest the resort credits they offer. You now have to pay tax on the credits you use but where would you find a resort that offers families golf,massages and excursions where you only have to pay the tax.
We travelled as a family of 5 ages 19 to 92 booking 2 rooms. My 92 year old mother enjoys a balcony to sit and enjoy the nice weather. She does have limited movement so we brought a wheelchair with us. The first set of rooms we got was on the first floor but had 3 stairs to walk down. I knew this wouldn't work and went down to the front desk to see about another room and get this all sorted out.
This time we met David Rubio who is the General Manager. He was so helpful and took the time to get this situation sorted out. But David came to our rescue time and time again. Tuesday night my 21 year old daughter came down with vomiting. We can't say if it was the food or if it was something that was brought from home, but Wednesday morning David was in the buffet I would say doing his rounds and stopped by our table to make sure we were comfortable with our room. I mention to him about my daughter and he made sure she had Gatorade, rice and chicken broth sent to her room continually through out the week. She still wasn't feeling good at the end of week and David called the doctor. Julia the HR made visits to my daughters room throughout the week to see how she was feeling and they both managed to make her feel a lot better.
The service provided at this resort was beyond exceptional! Because this was a smaller resort you get to know the staff and they get to know you. The waiters and waitress's around the pool always remember your drink. The staff at the buffet and la carts were awesome. Margarita who can give the best deep tissue massages. Even the maids who cleaned your room provided excellent service.
Especially to you David and Julia making our vacation the best it could be regarding our circumstances.
Can't wait to visit this resort again. Thanks again Kathy V.

• Stayed December 2012
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Sear Vaan,

Thank you so much for your comments. As I mentioned during your stay, this is your home andwe consider you already part of the Playacar Family. Take care a lot and we hope to see you back really soon.

Please, do not forget to wirte me a few days before to make all the arrangments.

Gracias y Hasta Pronto

D. Rubio
Playacar Palace G.M.

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!