“Perfect luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Poole, UK
“Perfect luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Returned to a very wet UK just before Xmas after 11 days at the Playacar Palace.

What a great hotel - friendly and helpful staff (especially the girls on the beach), beautiful beach, large comfortable rooms, good food and drink and brilliant location.

For UK readers particularly - I was interested in the free resort credits and how to use them and struggled to get much info on this before we left. We travelled on a Virgin holiday and our rep (who was useless but that's not the hotel's fault!!) told us that the credits would be linked to the timeshare sales and we'd be pestered if we asked the hotel about them....... He couldn't have been more wrong - it turns out that as Europeans you get a gold AI wristband and they don't even mention timeshares to you!

We booked 3 tours using our free resort credits - Chichen Itza ($278 of credits), Tulum ($166 of credits) and Coba ($178 of credits). Because we'd booked the holiday before the tax was added, these were all free to us. You did have to visit the souvenir shop (seemed to be owned in some way by the Palace group) on route and some guides were better than others, but all great for free and have got to be done!

We also used the resort credits for some fancy wines, but actually the free wines on the all inclusive were lovely. We loved the fact that you could run the water in your in-room jacuzzi and phone down for a bottle of wine to be delivered by room service - all included!

The 2 speciality restaurants were really nice (Asian and Italian). We ate in the Asian twice and the Italian three times - best steaks i've had in a long time. Try the flambeed bananas - lovely.

We found the hotel rooms very quiet. We were on the top floor - the double glazing is very good and there was no sound in our room even on the evenings with the pool party.

My only gripe would be that we strongly felt that the gin was either watered down or there was something else in the branded gin bottles - Tanqueray gin just doesn't taste that weak! Still - just had to drink wine, beer, cocktails or amaretto instead :)

Tip for when walking down Fifth Ave - turn your wristband inside out - otherwise every other seller will be the "waiter from your hotel" trying to sell you something.

For diving - my husband used Scuba Playa and will be writing an excellent review on them.

Room Tip: We loved the top floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear swivellingmonk

Thank you very much for such a long and informative reviewI and all the Playacar Family appreciate it.

Our only goal is that everyone of our guests enjoy a great experience and I feel happy you felt that.

We hope to see you soon and do not hesitate to write me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Playacar Palace was a wonderful resort to host our son's and good friend's B'nai Mitzvah celebration! We had in attendance 60 family members and friends and I believe everyone had a wonderful time. We were there from 12/20/12-12/29/12. The hotel was full but we never had to wake up early to save lounge chairs and the hotel was lovely to accommodate our party by setting up reserved tables outside for the buffet at night and in the restaurants.

Yazmin was an amazing party planner. She was our contact at the hotel and we started working with her 90 days prior to our arrival. She was excellent in responding to all of our questions and working with us to plan a beautiful event. It was her first Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony and she did a fantastic job! Not only did she help us plan the beach service, cocktail reception and dinner/dancing (including the hora) for our B'nai Mitzvah but she also helped us plan our private Shabbat dinner on Friday night and my friend's mother's 70th birthday party-- all on the resort. Her attention to detail was impeccable; she always had a smile on her face and was so calm and lovely. On the day of our event, it was very windy and we were debating whether we should have all of the festivities inside but our children insisted on having the service on the beach and they were right! The winds calmed down and our Havdalah service overlooking the ocean was breathtaking (an evening I will always remember and cherish). After the service we had the cocktail reception and dinner/dancing in the ballroom and it so much fun and festive! Yazmin, thank you for everything!!! We couldn't have done it without you.

Our family and friends stayed for the week and the size of the hotel was perfect! It was so intimate that it was easy to relax and enjoy everyone in our party. The beach was perfect for taking long walks and runs (one member of our group must have logged 20+ miles a day). The massages were wonderful (thank you Marisela) and the Spa was beautiful.

The best part about this resort is the service. It is bar none the best service we have ever received at an all-inlcusive resort and we have been to quite a few (Beaches-Negril/Boscobel/Turks, Dreams-Punta Cana, Club Med-Punta Cana/Sandpiper, Sunscape etc.....).

David Rubios, the manager, is outstanding!!!! He was everywhere on the resort-- helping out with making omelets at the buffet and welcoming guests as they arrived, etc.... He is the reason this resort is so outstanding and everyone is so kind and service oriented. David sets the tone! I cannot thank him enough for all he did for our entire party. The night of our event, the photographer was running late and he jumped through hoops to help us and even got the Playacar photographer to run out to the beach to take photos of us. He spent time just chatting with my daughter and I and is so personable. David, you are amazing and every hotel needs a manager like you!!!!

Ericka in the Celo Lounge was unbelievable-- we had about 30 guests in there one day watching the Cowboys play football and she brought in big bowls of popcorn and then delivered nachos, pizza and drinks for the next 3 hours-- all with a smile.

The beach is beautiful, the pool is fun, the entertainment staff is great and the snack bar by the pool is delicious!

I was concerned that it might be too small-- our family had never been to a boutique all-inclusive but this exceeded my expectations. My husband enjoyed golf at the nearby course and at the Moon Palace. We chartered 3 fishing boats and were lucky enough to catch a blue marlin in December (a huge highlight of the week), we went jet skiing, shopping, swimming with the dolphins and more. What a fantastic vacation!!!

We can't thank our family and friends enough for celebrating this wonderful occasion with us in Mexico and we can't thank the Playacar Palace enough for making it so special for everyone!!

Room Tip: All rooms had beautiful views-- we preferred a balcony with our room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Shuffle

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and thank you for choosing us in such a special event as a Mitzvah Celebration. All the Playacar Family feels glad of been part of that, and because it was special for us too, we will remember you for a long time. We consider you already part of our family so we hope to see you again soon.

Ou Greetings to Potomac, contact me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Playacar Palace G.M
Mount Laurel, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our 4th trip to Mexico and our 11th all-inclusive vacation. We've been to Turks & Caicos, St. Martin, Anguilla, Exuma, BVI, Jamaica and Riviera Maya. Many said we were crazy to go to Mexico during the expensive, busy week over Christmas but I'm glad I didn't listen. First let me say that will not find nicer, more gracious people than native Mexicans. This was apparent both inside and out of the resort. The resort was beautiful. Smaller than most of the huge properties in Mexico. One pool, an amazingly gorgeous beach, spa, three restaurants (no reservations needed), a pool bar, a sports bar (karaoke night was a blast) and 24 hr room service. We traveled with 4 adults, and 3 teenage boys who ate at least 6 meals a day (2 via room service).

Our only glitch was at check in where the 3 boys were given a king bed. AndreaNatalie was NOT helpful. Not my problem that you're sold out. We reserved and paid for a double room. After chatting with public relations the issue was resolved. PublicRelations arranged for a private Christmas Eve seafood dinner on the beach for our family for the trouble...and it was amazing!!! Service is top notch in every area of the hotel. Absolutely incomparable! Juana, the beach waitstaff, remembered my drink and that I liked chocolate in the afternoon. Gaspar arranged all of our taxi needs. Rodolfo put on quite a show making Mayan coffee. For an all inclusive the food was phenomenal -best ever. The Italian restaurant's filet mignon rivaled the best U.S. steakhouses, the salmon dinner on the beach was incredible, and even the buffet restaurant offered new items everyday. And, even though it is an all inclusive, a few dollars tip goes a long way and the staff is so appreciative.

This hotel was a great choice for those with teenagers. There weren't a lot of families with young children ( like many all inclusives) and the guests were very international. The activities staff planned events but it wasn't overwhelming. The resort is very close to the quaint town of Playa Del Carmen where the boys would go on their own at night. And next door is the famous Senor Frogs, a spring break hotspot. It wasnt busy when we were there but I imagine it could be different times of the year. On their beach was access to jetskis, banana boat, and parasailing. The ferry ($12 each way) to Cozumel is a 2 minute walk and we all went to the island one day and the boys went again by themselves. They can access the sister hotel Cozumel Palace which is okay but no beach!!! Cozumel is fun to rent scooters and shop. The boys did an ATV tour through the jungle at Maroma Marina 20 mis by taxi) while the parents waited for them on the magnificent beach. Surprisingly I never once heard "I'm bored" from the boys!

You get $1500 credits to use for each room so we did a tour and got spa treatments which were awesome. Had leftover credits but no one sweated it. The salesman for promotions became a bit annoying but i sternly said we werent interested in attending the informational breakfast and he backed off. As for the safety issue in Mexico, at no point did I ever feel a hint of unrest. Honestly, it was the most relaxing and memorable week of any vacation I've ever taken due mostly to the accommodations and staff at the resort, the weather and spectacular beach. Thanks Playacar Palace - we will definitely be back!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my first trip to Mexico and I was a little unsure what to expect. Let me tell you this will be my first choice when looking for a relaxing vacation again. From the airport to the resort room, it could not have been more easy and smooth. The service is just outstanding and the staff is so friendly. Flag down Martha around the pool, she'll take care of you. And the bartender at the pool bar knows how to make a great mojito! Israel from Lomas travel was also very kind and friendly. If I had to give one bit of criticism it would be I'd like to see more mexican food! On my last day they made homemade tortillas by the pool and they were fantastic! The stonefire mexican pizza was also yummy. I'm coming back here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Mooseman

Thank you very much for review,all the Playacar Family really appreciate it.

Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We are Palace members and Playacar is one of our favourites. Rooms with great views, attentive service, beautiful beach, nice spa it is always a pleasure. Have visited with my husband and with my two adult daughters and always enjoy it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Dee

Thank you very much for review, Me and all the Playacar Family's passion is to make you feel in home, and be a very intimate familiar hotel, perfect for this family moments.

Very happy new year for you and all you family, this is your home anytime, and please do not hesitate to write me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Hasta Pronto!!!!

Stoughton, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a wonderful relaxing vacation. Friendly staff and Service. Luxurious rooms and facilities. Close to shopping on 5th avenue. Great beach area and enjoyed looking for sea shells. The pools are also very beautiful. Servers at the buffet were all very friendly and attentive. All-inclusive was great...

Room Tip: Stayed in room 145 Beautiful view
Dear Mary

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an amazing review on TripAdvisor.com. Your review puts the light on the true artisans of our success, treat our guest like our own family

It is with great pride that I manage this resort and this Family-like team as we strive to put a smile on our guests' faces and make sure they have memorable stays with us.

Thank you very much again for such an array of compliments, which we have now displayed in our staff areas.

We all hope to see you again soon.

Cincinnati OH USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just returned from 10 wonderful days at the Playacar Palace. My husband and I are seasoned Palace Resort travelers but this was our first time to stay at Playacar Palace. Our transfer from the airport to the resort was flawless thanks to our lovely concierge Myra Lizet. She pays attention to details and lets us know that she treats our wants and our needs with equal enthusiasm. Special Thanks also to Carlos in Guest services for always looking out for us. Our room had both the pool and an oceanfront view which was very special for us. General Manager David Rubio is a gentleman who has lots of energy and works tirelessly with his staff to achieve top service and accommodation. (Look out LeBlanc!!) The Playacar Palace resort is currently undergoing hotel upgrades so David Rubio can be seen working right along side the staff to finish projects ahead of deadlines and without interruption to hotel guests. Well done Mr. Rubio! As a guest of your resort, we can easily see that your passion is your profession. Chef Oscar presented an extraordinary Chef’s Dinner. Sushi Chef Luciano created our special requests with ease and confidence in the Japanese Restaurant. Sergio greeted us each morning at breakfast with a smile. He remembered each day where we preferred to sit. I would highly recommend enjoying breakfast on the patio. Lunch on the beach from the menu was easy. Josephine, Perla, Nora and Blanca were always available to serve us food and drink at the beach. Gerardo at the Aqua Bar was pleasant and entertaining. Great guy!! Your evening is not complete without an evening stroll into Playa del Carmen's 5th ave shops and when you return to the resort, ordering a dessert pizza from the Aqua Bar Wood burning pizza oven. I recommend Chef Erwin’s apple, banana and nutella dessert pizza with a glass of bubbly! Italian Restaurant Mgr. Jazz and waiter Pedro know how to set the tone for a romantic dinner. Jazz prepared delicious banana foster at our table to cap off a perfect evening. Ana and Landi in the spa area took great care of us and we appreciated their genuine attempts to make you feel comfortable. The new spa is incredible!! Overall, I predict Playacar Palace is a hidden gem that is about to go viral! Professionalism starts at the top with David Rubio, General Mgr. and he has his entire team of staff on board. Well done and we will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jbesters

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an amazing review on TripAdvisor. I am speechless, and trust me, that is really difficult.

Your review puts the light on the true artisans of our success, all the Playacar Family, Carlos, Oscar, Luciano, Nora, Perla, Blanca, Erwin, Jazz... and more than 300 people that make this possible.

Thank you very much again for such an array of compliments. For you and all the members af our family that follow us on Tripadvisor, HAPPY NEW YEAR,

Take care and we all hope to see you again soon.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!