“1st time Mexico!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playacar Palace

Save Saved
You added Playacar Palace to your Saves list
Playacar Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia del Espiritu Santo | Esq. Abraira de Arriva, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
London, United Kingdom
“1st time Mexico!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My first visit to Mexico with family members starting on 2nd November was fantastic. A small glitch over room allocation was overcome the next day but from then on "sunshine all the way". The location of the hotel is superb, right on a marvellous beach but the holiday was made perfect by the wonderful staff! First to welcome us was Cesar Catalina, Victor Aine etc. the entertainment staff who everyday remembered our names and greeted us with a big smile! Our wonderful pool waitress Perla made sure we had everything we needed. Not to mention others within the hotel itself, Berenice, Claudia, Johanne and our own table waiter Soltero! Finally on this subject, the most helpful Security Man who helped us early every morning with our pool umbrella who I believe was named Jose Miguel - Thank you for my gift to remind me of this holiday. Such attention to detail by everyone who was delighted that we were staying there. The weather was perfect, the food - such a selection. Only downside was the upgrading of one restaurant but the menu for this was catered for within the Buffet restaurant - and the wedding receptions that were held on the terrace and beach that went on until the early hours. Apart from that, thank you all for a wonderful Birthday Holiday! Thanks - "The Dancing Queen".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Marion D

Thank you very much for review. Cesar, Victor, Catalina, Berenice, Claudia…and the Playacar Family really appreciate it. As you mentioned, we try to keep a very familiar and intimate concept where our guest can be known be their names and no by their room or rest band number and I feel happy that you felt that experience.

We hope to see you soon and do not hesitate to write me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Hasta Pronto!!!!

drubio@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came back to the Playacar Palace on a couples trip this year. Our first trip to this location was for our 1st Anniversary celebration in May 2011. Again, it did not disappoint. We love the location of the resort- close to shopping, Cozumel pier, great beach access and the list goes on. Rooms are very well decorated, beds are super comfy, and the jacuzzi tub is wonderful! The personal service you receive at the Palace resorts is second to none! All of the staff are friendly and courteous. We've stayed at several of the other Palace resorts and this is our favorite. It's big enough to offer all of the services of the other resorts, yet small enough to not overwhelm you. We will be back.
If you stay here take a day trip over to Cozumel Palace and use their facilities...great for diving and snorkeling and a great pool atmosphere too. That's another plus of the Palace resorts is you have access to any of their facilities- including food and drink.

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to upgrade your room...otherwise it's sometimes hard to use them all up...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on TripAdvisor.

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel. All the members of Playacar family send you their best wishes.

Please, contact me for your next stay with us to make all the arrangements of your travel

D.Rubio
Carol Stream, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were at Playacar Palace from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2, 2012. As a travel professional, I have been to many resorts, but Playacar is my favorite.

The staff is incredible, the room was great and the food was excelente! The resort is smaller which makes it more intimate and personal. Location is great!

Front Desk:
Love the different check-in style. They do not have a stuffy counter to check-in at. They have large desks and you sit down with them. Julio Cesar was great, getting us into a room which was ready, since we arrived 2 hours before check-in. In fact, Julio Cesar even remembered who we were when we checked out, didn't have to ask our name....great service!

Room:
We had a partial oceanview king. Room was big, double jacuzzi was nice and loved the shower. (For those of you with thick hair, the water pressure is excellent!) The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Room was cleaned everyday and we had turn down service nightly. In-room Liquor Dispensor, Mini-bar and free wi-fi throughout the resort, who can complain!

Room Service: Quick, good food. Arrived hot and fast!

Cafe Del Mar Buffet - we had breakfast and lunch here. The food was fresh and very good. There were different lunch and dinner themes daily, and I particularly loved Sushi Lunch day! Never had to wait long to be seated.

La Terraza - Italian A la Carte restaurant, no reservations required. Once again, the food was excellent and the service was superb...sorry I don't remember our waiters name, but he was really good.

Mo Mo No Hana - Asian A la Carte restaurant, no reservations required. The food was amazing! We can't say enough about it. The service was great, the host was very helpful and always checked on how our dishes were. We loved the food, our server and the deep fried ice cream!

Aqua Bar - Pool Bar, Grill & Swim Up Bar. I fell in love with Gerardo our first night, at least that is what he told me the next day! Margarita's were my choice and I prefer them a certain way. After only one time explaining, I never had to again! Thanks Gerardo and all the other bartenders who took care of us. I forget our Pizza maker's name, but the thin crust pizza was great for a late evening snack. The servers at the pool were very attentive and once again, exceptional service. Juana, took care of us everyday and taught us some Spanish. She made us feel so welcomed, we can't thank her enough.

Luna Lounge: We went to the Luna Lounge for the Halloween Party (which I won a prize at!). Here we met Alcides (bartender), Claudia (server) and Jair (chef). Alcides is hysterical and keeps you laughing. Claudia became my close friend instantly, miss you girl! Jair's appetizers were excellent and so creative for Halloween. We had so much fun with everyone.

Beach: The beach is beautiful and very wide at the Playacar Palace. The water is great. You can walk very far down the beach, however, it does narrow at some points. We also walked around the homes and rental properties. It was a wonderful site seeing experience. Felt safe the entire time, even though we thought we were lost a few times!

Location: You couldn't ask for a better location. Steps from 5th Avenue, restaurants, bars and night clubs. The ferry to Cozumel is also steps away. It was great not being confined to a resort and we met some very nice people downtown. The store employees and tour operators all want you to stop and talk or buy something, but this is the same at any tourist location in the world. We just smiled and kept walking. Once again, felt safe the whole time.

I have saved the best for last *****THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF***** Damaris, Catalina, Cesar and Roman. These wonderful people truly made our experience unforgettable. We never joined in activities on previous vacations, but we couldn't help ourselves this time. We wanted to participate in everything, because this crew made you feel like a friend and part of the family. Heck my husband even played Ping Pong....I didn't even know he knew how! We did not bring Halloween costumes, but that didn't stop this great team from helping us out. I dressed as Juana from the Aqua Bar, it was so much fun, even some of the staff thought I was a new employee. Damaris, Catalina, Cesar and Roman go above and beyond to make sure you have fun and were included in everything. I miss them!

And lastly, David Rubio, we would like to thank you. You have an excellent staff at the Playacar Palace, which is a direct reflection of your management. I just figured out today, you were at the desk next to us when we checked out. Didn't you offer me a job? LOL

We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Frantastic Vacations

Thank you very much for review, Me, Damaris, Ramon, Catalina, Julio, Gerardo, Jair, Alcides…and to make it short and all the Playacar Family really appreciate it. As you mentioned, we try to keep a very familiar and intimate concept where our guest can be known be their names and no by their room or rest band number and I feel happy that you felt that experience.

All the staff has great memories of you, and by the way, the offer of your job is still on the table, you will be our best and more international ”Waiters”!!!
Hasta Pronto!!!!

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We wern't supposed to stay here, but I was looking for an upgrade, and I wanted "the best" as I was intending on proposing to my girlfriend while on vacation on Mexico. Trip advisor shows it near the top when it comes to all-inclusive. I couldnt have chosen a better hotel. Every room has a jacuzzi! The room has a mini fridge with sodas, beer, juice and water, and you are provided vodka, tequila, and rum in the room. Room service is provided, which we took advantage of, and EVERYONE on the beach was so courteous and quick in bringing drinks to us. We made sure to always tip them, but they didnt hang around like they expected a tip. Once, we ran down to the water and left a tip for her under our empty glass, she took the glass but still left the tip :( I made sure she got it though. Anyway, the whole place is very clean, and we got "Resort Credits" to spend. We used them to swim with the dolphins, a spa trip, and on our last night, dinner on the beach.

I dont think I could ever go to PDC and not stay at Playacar Palace. I have been spoiled!

Room Tip: They are doing construction around the hotel, and while we were literally right outside of the const...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Mark984

I would like to thank you for selecting Playacar Palace as your destination on your most recent vacation to Mexico.

The Playacar Family appreciate your comments and the time to write it..

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace, and don't forget to write me before your arrival to make all the arrangements

Halifax
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I spent four nights at this resort (Nov 5th-9) and had a wonderful time! This resort is small, so it is great for a romantic getaway, and is just a short walk from Playa Del Carmen / 5th Ave if you want to go out for the night to party.

The room was amazing. Huge, double jacuzzi in the room was an awesome addition, liquor dispenser, modern decor and comfy bed. Can you really ask for more!?

The Staff here really "wowed" me - always a friendly hello in the hallway, amazing service at the beach. As soon as I am done a drink, they are right there to put another in your hand!

The food was awesome. You certainly will not go hungry.

A True 5 Star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2012

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel. All the members of Playacar Fernando, send you their best wishes.

D.Rubio
Cave Creek
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My stepson and his beautiful bride were married at this resort on Friday, November 9, 2012. The wedding was beautiful, the staff was exceptional and the service amazing. We had an fabulous time until the moment we left the resort. Although we only ate and drank on the resort property, 35 of the 37 of us became violently ill at the conclusion of the trip. Some of us were wheelchaired off of the airplane, several missed days from work, and several of us have been to the doctor for fecal cultures. While we only drank bottled water, we believe perhaps there was a problem with the filtration system that provides the ice. We have yet to receive an adequate response from this resort about the cause of the problem. My satisfaction with the resort has turned to dissatisfaction given the final experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Nancy

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that you have had a bad impression during your stay with us about our professionalism.

During the last eight years Playacar Palace has been recognized as a hygienically and sanitary safe hotel for the board of tourism with none penalties. From your report we checked all the processes, including the ice and the water, that we have been working with for the last years and all the results were negative.

The training of our is a very important part of days, and all our food and beverage staff is certificated by the state government

Happily, the most of our guest who visit Playacar applaud our methods, quality and our care for the guest

I thank you and the other members of your group that have written reviews on TRIPADVISOR the last days, and I offer you and apologize for not be able be at the level of your expectation

I wish you luck in your future travels and do not hesitate to contact me personally for further remarks or questions.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

We were just at this resort a few days ago for a wedding. The entrance is BEAUTIFUL, very open with a gorgeous ancient viney tree as the focal point. The pool is amazing as well as the beach. That's about the extent of the hotels beauty...the food is terrible, there is only 1 restaurant to eat at (cafe del mar). I don't know if this is just the case because there happened to be so many other weddings occurring this particular weekend, but none the less.
Our room was mediocre at best, our sink had a huge shatter in it, the jacuzzi in the room had deep cuts in it and looked like it had not been clean in weeks. The room smelled like a campfire all the time and the runner that was on our bed had something that almost looked like ash stains all over it. So everyone knows the room was #142. Request NOT to stay in it. The view from our room was nice. If you are going to eat well or for the best value, choose a different place.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Nicolejoi

Thank you for your candid feedback and taking the time to write and post your review on TripAdvisor. Please be assured that we are taking this into consideration. The concerns you addressed do not reflect the typical experience at Playacar Palace, but there is always room for improvement.

At Playacar Palace we offer 5 different places to eat between Restaurants and Restaurant/Bars CAFÉ DEL MAR, our International Buffet, TERRAZA, our Italian Cuisine, MOMONOHANA, Oriental Restaurant, LUNA, Pacific Mexican Cuisine and our PIZZA OVEN at the pool with real and traditional pizzas from our Italian Chef Massimiliano.

I wanna thank you again for writing this review and also sincerely apologize for not be able be at the level of your expectation, and all the Playacar Family hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you.

I wish you luck in your future travels and do not hesitate to contact me personally for further remarks, questions or for a future next visit .

drubio@palaceresorts.com

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!