“Internet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Quetzal Playacar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Quetzal Playacar to your Saves list
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Xaman-Ha. Lote hotelero No. 2, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Detroit Michigan
“Internet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is an excellent resort except they still charge for Internet access even from the lobby. Most other resorts at least have free internet in the lobby and a charge for internet in the room. Why do 5 star resorts charge for the little things and 3 star resorts give free internet.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Dear Philid,

We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal during your vacations. We are happy to know that you liked our resort.

We are sorry you were disappointed with our internet service. With the new connection from all common areas and rooms, prices have been readjusted to make them more affordable for our guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to Playa del Carmen.

2,382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hi,
Combined Tucan Quetzal review. We stayed at Quetzal but had friends that stayed at Tucan at the same time and no difference noticed. It is a very nice resort, but it is not the best resort for families with children. The beach was a little rough and if I remember correctly there were no trees on the beach. Also take shoes so you can avoid cutting your feet on the rocks when swimming..
Be careful with eating seafood!!! My husband and I got sick eating it at one of the beach evening restaurants. I strongly recommend avoiding it.
There is awesome diving shop on the resort. If you plan to go for few dives, go to their website (Dressler Divers) and you can save this way 20% if you prepay.
Resort is also close to Playa del Carmen, although our family did not care for the place it's worth spending there few hours.
Nice setting for buffet on Quetzal site, loved the service, thanks to our waiter. Also many thanks to the young entertainers that worked days by the pools and kids daycare and nights entertaining kids and adults, thank you very much.
One more thing I just remembered, Cleaners were very loud in the mornings, whoever was delivering boxes with daily cleaning supplies made a lot of noise as well. I like to relax and take it easy on my vacations so first monkeys at 5 am, then daily supply delivery around 7 am and cleaners at 8 am did not help with enjoying our stay at this place.
I would recommend this resort but not for families and people who like to be active but sleep in. Not much to do on the grounds. Enjoy your stay if you choose to go to one of these hotels.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from Theatre as it gets VERY loud at night. They do not have very good acoustics...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear BasiaTrips,

On behalf of all our staff and Management, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your vacations!

We are sorry to read that you could not fully enjoy your holidays with your family. Iberostar is popular with families as we offer an extensive program for kids, their parents and for every age.
However your comments are very important to us and we will take them seriously.

In addition we are sorry that you felt bad after dining at the sea-food restaurant. All Iberostar Hotels and Resorts work strictly according to the internal and external hygiene regulations. Our hotel has a specific Health & Safety department which works in association with consultancy of an independent external company who is in charge of verifying our hygiene procedures. We will forward your words to our Management.

Furthermore, we feel sorry that you could not find rest during your stay due to our Staff and our wildlife. Our guests can always request a room change if availability allows. However, our maids should not make noise and this will be transmitted to our Housekeeping Manager.

We would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding the service of our Animation team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

With kindest regards,

Beach Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Hello

You and I know how difficult it can be to select the perfect resort for our vacation. We can smell the suntan lotion, hear the beautiful Sea, imagine all the umbrellas on the beach, and all the wonderful relaxation we all look forward to.

Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal has been one of my favorite resorts for so many reasons. Hopefully my review will assist you with your decision. I love this resort for so many reasons especially for the most beautiful Sea-no rocks and beach. I have been to a number of the other neighbor resorts here in Playa and in Cancun, but this one is so comfortable in many aspects.

Airport – You will fill out on your flight all the necessary paperwork to enter into Mexico, bring a pen or two. Remember once you go through customs /immigration they will tear off one piece of immigration forms they keep one piece and you keep the other half, keep this with your passport. You will need to provide this to the ticket agent upon your departure, at the Cancun airport, to get back home.

Note: Don’t stop and talk to anyone after your final exit of the X-Ray in the Airport. Until you see the sky outside. People inside the airport will try to make you believe you need them, no; they are trying to sell you something.

Your ride is approximately 45 minutes to an hour if you have a private transfer/shared transfer to your resort. The choice is yours, which is quite sweet, as you arrive faster than with a busload of other travelers being dropped off at their resorts before your resort. This can take hours.

I was there from October 9th – October 20th 2013. The weather was simply perfect, no rain! The calmest sea the whole time, everyone could stay in it and talk to each other. So very clear and so many shades of blue. Mauricio Star Friends Entertainment does Aerobics at 11:30 daily in the Sea and again at 4:00 on the beach.

This resort has the feeling of the real culture of Mexico/Cancun/Playa Del Carmen.
We have to know the culture of Mexico – food, and the native customs, and the heat. It is very hot here. The employees are very kind; if some seem quiet it isn’t that they are rude. They do their very best to assist all. They are so very busy attempting to please all of us.

Resort – All open air, no enclosures of either lobby. They have two, Tucan and Quetzal – you can go to both sides. And no elevators, if you are handicapped ask for a first floor unit. I love opening my door to the outside, not to a hotel lobby. It gets hot once away from the Sea. Air conditioning is in the Mexican, Italian and Chinese restaurants. Solo pianist on either side in the lobby bars, he alternates daily.

Beautiful grounds! You can walk through the jungle or walk on the smooth sidewalks on both sides of the buildings.

Monkeys - So many of them on both sides of the resort, they are Howler Monkeys with a very loud vocal. They wake up very early. They are out all day long; you only have to walk around to locate them. Flamingos, Peacocks, Geckos and much more, roam freely. 2 large Turtles are in an enclosed sanction on the Quetzal side near the lap pool towards the resort rooms.

Children – This resort welcomes families with children, a section near the pool is designed for them. A child’s pool, a playground and a daycare-all within reach of each other and a clown comes by and makes balloon animals!

The resort is spread out very comfortably. I saw strollers on the beach and pool.

Pool – Very LARGE and deep one of the nicest pools in the area, you will never feel crowded inside of it. Another swim lap pool and of course the adult swim up bar. The adult pool is located alone-not in the main pool, down some stairs into the pool, very nice. They retiled the floor in June.
The pool was very warm in October. But I have been in Mexico when I couldn’t go into the pools, due to them being too cold-December. The sun warms them, tis the season. A cart on the beach has the best ice cream cones daily! A beach party is on one weekday, Tuesdays.
Umbrellas can be taken for free at the towel hut for the beach, in case all the Palapas are taken.

Bars – Convenience is why I like this hotel. The beach/pool bar is so close to you-who wants to walk far away to get our drinks. They have one bar on the beach, another bar in both buffets on the beach, and another one in the adult pool.
One bar in the Steak House-when open, which is located next to the pool, the Steak House is converted at night from another day time buffet, most of the time only one buffet of two is open at the beach. The other buffet is converted at night for the Tropical dinner. And the two Lobby bars in the Theme restaurants in the evening. And one in the Disco and Theater. The resort provides excellent waiter service on the beach and pool areas. I truly tip these waiters and bar tenders, they work non-stop for us.

Disco Mascara – After the theater ends their show, the Disco is open. Located outside of the lobby Quetzal side. A stand-alone yellow building only a few small steps from lobby. Opens around 10:30ish-2am or so. Has purple neon-lettering Mascara above the door with air conditioning.

Theater – Nightly shows are very good. Prior to the show about 8:00pm or so they have playtime for children to participate, fun for families. This is where you need to use mosquito spray. As the theater is located in the middle of the resort. And in the lobby bars in the evening spray may be needed. Certain night’s vendors set up in the walkway and sell souvenirs.

Rooms – Previous reviews have mentioned how hard some of the mattresses are. I witnessed while I was there….Finally they are replacing the mattresses! Yeah! I have had both soft and hard. The last visits I have had the most comfy mattresses. I saw truckloads of old mattresses being removed. The rooms are very spacious, big and very clean! There isn’t anything wrong with these rooms. Maybe the bedspreads could be changed, but I don’t care. Do not close your patio door while outside, you will get locked out.
Only a big shower stall no bathtubs. Hair dryers in the rooms, what is needed for ladies a magnifying mirror for our makeup.
A safe in the room is free no charge. You create your own combination, big enough to fit your IPAD, ECT.

A fridge in the room has small and large bottled water and, Fanta Orange, Sprite & Coke soda, and Dos Equis XX & Superior beer. And packets of coffee, bring your own-buy the single cup packets, in case if you do not like theirs.

If you are concerned of musty rooms none of the rooms here are musty. Bring a room freshener! The smell isn’t present when you walk in the room. No smoking in any of the rooms. But you are allowed to smoke on your patios.

Drinks – The drinks truly are good, I have been to resorts that have same quality of taste.

Food – There is massive selections of food for all. This is where some people do not like certain selections. Truly Iberostar has a huge selection of food that is so very good, the Steak is good, and Shrimp, Tacos, every thing is very good. How can anyone complain of food? We are blessed to have any food while many go to bed hungry.

They have free wine for meals and they also sell wine at an additional cost if you select to do so. Make your reservations as soon as you arrive. On either side of Tucan/Quetzal located in the lobby areas, in a pyramid shape hut. Check daily for cancellations for more reservations. This is public relations. You can also order flowers and arrange for private dinners on the beach. Wow they do a nice job, very romantic for a cost. They convert the massage hut into your romantic evening.

NOTE: Gentlemen you no longer need to wear trousers/long pants to dinner. Nice shorts are now allowed! Please lets not ruin a good thing and continue to wear a polo shirt with appropriate shorts and shoes.

Mosquito’s – I did not get bit by any, but I was proactive and brought spray.

Medicine – The resort has a Dr. on duty – office is located on the Quetzal side. So much drinking and food can lead to an upset tummy. Take all necessary items, such as crèmes for sensitive areas ;-0, Band-Aids, ECT. I have never gotten sick at this resort.

A suggestion for the resort would be an excellent touch. Nightlife on the beach. I have been to a resort where they had a stand alone bar with bar stools. And a CD player for music. This would be so very perfect! I don’t go to the shows and some would like a bar on the beach for nighttime partying. They would only need about two bartenders to man it.

Town – So very safe to go, don’t let fear stop you from the experience. It is very modern and a lot of nice shopping. $7.00 one-way that Is less than five minutes away. You are dropped off as everyone else is at the same drop off point. The entrance to 5th Avenue. Or across the street from the resort you can walk to a plaza of stores for shopping. Or a handful of natives walk the beach on the resort and sell souvenirs. No they are not bothersome at all, they only walk by with the merchandise in their hands.

Playacar has a lot of resorts that are much fancier, but I like this one for the true feeling of the culture. Some other neighbor resorts have totally restructured their resort, and when they did they wiped out the touch of the culture of Playa Del Carmen.

Wifi is still lacking at this resort. You can purchase it at the lobbies for a charge, $3.00 for fifteen minutes. They are very close to bringing it to the resort, cost not sure what the decision will be.

All the employees work so very hard here, I feel for them working in the so very hot sun for us. I always take tip money. I take dollar bills, fives and tens. They deserve it, as they are loyal employees. So many of them have been here since the resort opened. I even tip the chefs!

So many daily activities to do and it is so much fun.

The resort has a gym to exercise and opens at 7am, it is air-conditioned. Located outside of the Tucan side next to the Tennis Court. Three treadmills, two elliptical, two bikes, and free weights. The resort also has stores to buy merchandise. One is new and located in front of the pool. They also have ceramic painting in front of the pool.

My opinion is to visit this resort, they can’t please everyone but the resort is very clean and beautiful, and is the main zone of Playacar. You are within a secure area and can walk the beach and see other resorts. Unlike other resorts-off the main zone. Many resorts are far away from town. And are all alone in seclusion. So factor in the cost of taxis if you select to go into town, ECT.

Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal is very addicting; I miss it all the time. And I will be back several more times.

Dear 1UmbrellasOnTheBeach,

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your recent vacations and for your wonderful words!

We appreciate your positive comments regarding our pool, the shows, the spacious and clean rooms. Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to Management, thank you for that :-)

Also we would like to inform you that we are now offering WiFi throughout the entire hotel for an additional charge.

Your preference for our hotel is important to us; we would like to thank you the time you have taken to write your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future! Please, feel free to contact us in order to follow up with any petition you might have for your future visit. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I've been to a number of these resorts. I find a lot of them are same-same.

I have to say that i LOVED the grounds here. A very cool jungle atmosphere including monkeys, lemurs, and these weird/cute vermon things, pink flamingos, turtles, iguanas etc.

Transport from airport - quick and comfortable. Nice small van with only 12 passengers.

Check-in - easy breezy! Super friendly counter staff and bell person service.

Room - nicer than what I had expected. Not the best room, but this is also not a brand new resort. The beds were firm, which I like. The air conditioning worked well. The water pressure in the shower was actually pretty intense...especially if using the removable shower head.

Maid service - always spot on! We dont get our room cleaned every day because really....how dirty does it get.

Beach - incredible. Never a problem getting chairs, got a palapa most days...and those days where we were super lazy, we just got a beach umbrella for shade from the towel exchange. easy.

Food - the food was just fine! we were able to eat relatively healthy for most meals. now, let's not kid a kidder...i had my share of nacho platters with guacamole. the taco station was pretty tasty. always a great selection to make a decent salad.

A la cartes - seafood/mexican/steakhouse/japanese. all were tasty. the japanese was a bit salty but a lot of fun. the mexican was my favourite with the pineapple taco taking the cake. the meat in the steakhouse was great.

We never had any problems getting drinks. We were also not stinking drunk and falling all over the place. Just because it's open bar, doesn't mean you have to drink it dry kids.

We really enjoyed our stay. I liked that there was no swim-up bar in the main pool; meant I wasn less likely to swim in barf and perhaps less pee because no one's bladder can be that big to stay on those chairs all day.

Good bang for the buck.

Great grounds. Super staff.....Ari was amazing, Maurzio was super, Roman...loved him.

Room Tip: Walls are thin. Try to leave the party at the bar. However, if you are woken, call security and they...
Dear Neilhalper,

We are grateful to hear that you have chosen our hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal during your recent family vacation in the Riviera Maya and are truly happy you had such a great time.

The beauty of our destination along with our facilities and services allows us to give unforgettable experiences to our guests. Your comments will be passed on to the Management and staff of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.
We thank you for your nice comments regarding our jungle, our friendly staff, the rooms, the beach and the restaurants.

It will be an honor to be able to welcome you back in the near future! Please contact our Public Relations Department in order to follow up with any petition you might have.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Oxford, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed from 6th - 20th October. This was a return visit to the hotel and we were not dissapointed.
We flew with Thomas Cook, and it was ok, not great but a means to an end. The hard sell starts the minute you arrive !!
You do not really need help with your luggage from the terminal to the bus, it is not far and on very even surfaces.
The people inside the terminal are NOTHING to do with Thomas Cook, Ignore them and walk outside where you will find the rep, who will point you in the right direction.
On the bus for the transfer , the rep will have you believe that the mozzies are the size of toads and will eat you the moment you step off the bus, and will go on to sell you these bracelet thinggys (you will need two of these each !!) that will stop them biting you. They poo poo all the other things that you can buy. There are mozzies here !! buy all your protection before you get there. Buy Tropical strength (containing Deet) I used mine at night (quick fumigation before going out to dinner - Like perfume only not !!) and I only had a few bites. (perhaps I am a bit chewy)
Quick and easy check in, We had a room in block 22 , which is near the beach, Steak Restaurant and Tropical Restaurant. We did not mind the walk up to the bar in the evening. We used the perimiter road and did not go through the Jungle. There are some vehicles using this (delivering room service etc) .
Room was as expected, very clean and comfortable, perhaps the soft furnishings are a bit dated, but perfectly suited to a tropical climate. Mini fridge stocked with soft drinks , water and beer.
Food was great , we ate in the Buffett and used our allowed bookings in the Restaurants. Buffet food is nice, but perhaps not the conventional meals you may be used to. Desserts very nice and the Ice Cream was way too nice !! We did not use the Oriental one this time, If you are a couple it can feel a little awkward to be sat next to someone who does not speak English.This is a very social night and would be great for groups of people
Its a shame people dont dress for the evening, We only wear our beach wear for the beach ! I am not shopping or cooking for my dinner so technically I am eating out and prefer to get dressed up.
The Steak Bar and Italian were our favourites, and the desserts in the Italian were sooo good.
The entertainment in the Bars was a little bland, but ok. We did not see the main entertainment as we have seen before and we usually had a late dinner.
The alcohol was ok, I had Margarittas - and after two definately felt the effects !
The Beach is beautiful, The Pool is huge . There are plenty of sunbeds and shades, if you want a particular spot then you will probably have to get up early !! and dont reserve a bed using , flip flops , books or any other type of random item. Put a towel down and stay there !! It really is annoying when people reserve beds and then do not appear until lunchtime. If you come across a shade that has no beds under it then it probably means that it belongs to someone else.
They seem to do a really good job on the weddings here. We watched two (we were sat near to where they were) I cried at both of them !! even though I had no idea who they were.
We have already booked to go back next year and I cant wait.
This Hotel had been open 14 years, and so if you want Boutique Chic , marble columns , spa bath in your room etc, then expect to pay a lot more money and look to stay somewhere else. If you want a relaxing holiday with the most beautiful beach and pool then stay here.

Room Tip: Block 22,23, is quite close to the beach
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your favorable comments following your last stay in Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal. We are so grateful that you decided to come back to our hotel.

Mexico has a lot to offer and we try to invite our guests to be part of the Caribbean flair through decoration, landscape and services.

We are happy to know that you experienced our beautiful weddings. Our wedding coordinator is doing a hard job in order create unforgettable and romantic weddings.

We are sorry to read that guests reserved the pool beds without using them, we will forward your observation to our management in order to improve this situation.

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were at the Quetzal with 3 other couples from Oct. 16 - 23rd. We were blessed with great weather again so some of my not-so-great comments had to do with the heat. This hotel desperately needs an air conditioned public area. A sports bar would be ideal for a number of reasons but mainly because you need somewhere to escape the heat besides your room. The air conditioning in the room is fine but you cannot set it for less than 20C. I like it alot cooler than that but that's personal preference. We were in the 2100 block really close to the pool and right next to the Riu"s fence. Noise at night really wasn't a problem. Water temperature in the shower at times fluctuated widely. Food was very good, ate in all a la cartes (hotel was only at about 40% occupancy)and choice at buffet was fine. Bar selections were again fine but not a great deal of top shelf choices. Staff were great, The walkway from the lobby to the pool through the "jungle" could be a bit of a challenge for anyone with mobility issues or for those of us over a certain age (not quite seniors, but not spring chickens either).There is a path along the sides of the property so if uneven surfaces are a problem there is that as an alternative.
Pool is great and beach is fabulous. If you are looking for a resort with a swim up bar in the main pool this isn't the resort for you. Their one and only swim up bar is about a 12 step staircase down into a very small pool. Not one of my favorite features.
Wild life is a hoot, great for families and animal lovers.
I certainly would recommend the Quetzal/Tucan but for myself I think I prefer the Riu chain in this area.

Dear Mrsmom89,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We are happy to hear that you liked the food and that the weather was great during your stay. Thank you for highlighting the service provided by our staff members, the great pool and beach and the wildlife. Those are very important aspects for us in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts and the key to our success.

We regret that you did not report us about the air conditioning during your stay, since it is possible to turn the temperature down.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that our hotel Management along with our team leaders constantly working on different areas which are considered to need improvements.
This in order to maintain our hotel updated, however the main natural style is being conserved as it represents our hotel.

We take into consideration all the suggestions you brought up to our attention and we will definitely look into them. Your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal. We certainly believe that our guests’ comments provide us with useful insights to assist our staff to identify areas of concern.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal to show you our improvements.

Pasadena, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Just got home from a 2 week stay. The staff was absolutely wonderful - friendly and attentive! The food was excellent as well, with a tremendous variety to choose from on a daily basis. We had made-to-order omelletes every morning... awesome! The rooms were spacious and clean, and the resort was within walking distance of Playa del Carmen's 5th avenue shopping district. If we didnt feel like walking in the heat we were easily able to take a cab for 70 pesos. There was so much wildlife right on the premeses and the resort was stunningly landscaped so that visitors could enjoy every bit of it. The activities on site were lots of fun, led by Iberostars Star Friends... they were friendly and enthusiastic... kenia was the best! Also we were able to catch the ferry to cozumel and use the Iberostar facility on the island for yhe day free of charge. We had taken the Best Day Travel shuttle service from the airport, and we booked all of our excursions thru them, however there were plenty of other vendors available to choose ftom right on site. Overall the experience was phenominal! Not too many tv channels in English, and the movies available for rent were dreadfully out of date... but honestly there was so much to do we didn't really care. We will absolutely be returning next year!

• Stayed October 2013
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Jcapozzoli,

First of all we would like to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We really appreciate your kind comments regarding the clean rooms, the wildlife, the restaurants and our friendly and helpful team.

All guest feedback provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you back next year. Your status as guest is very important to us.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Quetzal Playacar? Share your experiences!