“Our best family trip ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Quetzal Playacar

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Quetzal Playacar to your Saves list
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Xaman-Ha. Lote hotelero No. 2, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Drummondville, Canada
“Our best family trip ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was our first trip South (we're from Quebec) and we had the time of our lives. We were expecting a relaxing vacation in the sun but we got so much more! Our four kids (ranging from 8 to 16) had a ball participating in the different activities proposed by the "star friends". They earned many certificates that were awarded on stage every night. The evening shows were very entertaining. We got there early (8:00) just to see the little kids performing on stage. So funny and cute! The nightly live music performances and entertainment were greatly appreciated by all our family members.

The beach area right next to the resort was wide and clean, with more than enough lounging chairs and the sand was exempt of rocks. There are two volleyball and soccer fields and daily Zumba lessons right on the beach.

The food? Spectacular! You might think you'd get bored with a three meals a day buffet but there is so much variety that you just don't have enough of time in a short week to take advantage of all the fresh & delicious food offered. On top of that, you could also make a reservation for one the 6 other restaurants on site. We went at the Italian one and it was exquisite! The kids prefer the buffet because it's faster, but we (the old ones) enjoyed this options.

The rooms were clean and right in the middle of a jungle where animals roamed freely. We spent a lot of time watching iguanas, flamingos, turtles, parrots, noisy peacocks, monkeys and other unknown mammals. It was like walking through a rainforest every day as we went to the beach or to eat. Awesome!

We can't end without saying how much our stay was improved thanks to the people working as "star friends". These young people organize activities that are fun in a very entertaining way. They are pleasant, friendly, dynamic and making sure everyone around is happy. My kids preferred the activities at the resort than the trip we had to Walt Disney last year...who would of guessed? Would we book again? Definitely! The kids were depressed on their last day and said they would come up with enough money to pay for the trip next year...to be continued. We loved the fact that everything was included so there's no surprise once you get there.

Thanks Iberostar Quetzal for making this trip our best one ever! Worth every penny!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of the staff and management of Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal, thank you for having chosen us as the destination for your family vacation! We also thank you for taking the time to post a review about your experience with us.

We are really satisfied to learn that your stay was a memorable one thanks to the excellent service provided by our staff from the different areas of our premises, especially our Star Friends’ team. Iberostar Hotels & Resorts is committed to provide the best service to our beloved guests so comments like yours are the best recognition!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again; please do not hesitate to contact us with your booking details so we can help you enjoy your next holiday with us.

With kindest regards,

2,378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic 2 week break at the Iberostar Quetzal Hotel in Playa Car, Mexico (20/2/13 to 7/3/13). My wife and I have absolutely no problem in recommending this holiday to anyone. This Iberostar hotel is 2 hotels divided by a small piece of natural jungle and the lovely pool. The Toucan one side, Quetzal the other. residence have access to both sides there are 5 Al-a-carte and 2 buffet. The food did become a bit repetitive after the first week but heh you find that most places. The staff can't do enough for you and if you do decide to give a small tip, you'll notice the difference, it is appreciated. It's the first time we have been on a holiday with waitress service on the beach. we decided to give the waitress 2 dollars in the morning and didn't have to queue at the pool bar. (worth it I thought) The pool was lovely although we prefer the beach. There is a separate small pool bar for adults only, some previous advisers said it was cold. We only went in once at lunch time and found it quite comfortable. Our room was in block 24 sort of half way between the beach & reception, again some people seem to have a preference, there were certainly better rooms for views but as we only used our room for sleeping, showering and getting ready to go out we were quite happy. It was always clean, the mini bar in the room was always topped up every day with whatever we used ( it was supposed to be restocked every other day) again no complaints. The only slight surprise was, the excursions and trinkets, were all more expensive than we expected. I guess that we thought that as a poor country, those things would be cheaper. Nothing spoilt our holiday in anyway and I'm positive any reasonable person would have a great time if they stayed here. Happy Holidays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation in the Mayan Riviera. Your experience and the information you are providing may help others to choose Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for their next vacation in Mexico.

We are thrilled you were so happy with our settings and surroundings, our cuisine offer and our pools & beach. Thanks also for appreciating the service you received!

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Kind regards,

Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed from Feb. 2 to Feb 16. I have put off writing this, because I SO wanted to give it a great review, but in a couple ways, I can't. On the other hand, I know that some people think this is a fabulous resort, and I can't call them liars, either. So let me explain. Before I go into more detail, let me just say that I know resorts like this TRY to cater to everyone. And for the most part, they probably succeed. But if you've traveled a bit, you probably are looking for something more specific, and the resorts that try to do it all, just might not hit it exactly for you.

The Good - As everyone talks about - this resort is set up as two resorts in one -- pretty much identical, with jungle in the middle. The jungle is great. You ALWAYS see tons of animals, always -- there is no way you can miss them! You may not always see the monkeys (I didn't, but my husband did - and others in our group did) but you will see peacocks, flamingos, turtles, roosters, all kinds of birds, agouti, iguana, etc etc etc. This part does not disappoint.

The food is fine for an AI. This place has people from everywhere coming, so some of the food is a little weird, and sometimes they don't put stuff that should be nearby to other things, where we (as Americans) thought they should go. So we were often on a hunt to find something to go with something else on our plate -- for example, butter for the rolls, or ketchup for the fries.
Minor complaint -- food is fine. Some of it is bland, but you can find one or two things that are pretty good. Don't take one of everything that looks good, because it will be there again tomorrow, and you will soon tire of it if you're eating the same every day.

The beach is wonderful. If you sit under the palpalas - or nearby to them, you'll get amazing drink service. If your idea of a great vacation is to lay on the beach and have drinks brought to you -- (which I admit, is what we like to do for a huge portion of our day) then this is a great place.

The pool -- The pool is huge, it just keeps going. It has a waterfall thing in one area, and a jacuzzi tub in the center, with follage around it -- beautiful. There is a TON of shade available around both the pool and beach -- so if you're a person, or you are traveling with a person who needs shade -- this is one of the better resorts I've seen, for that. You can also get an umbrella from the towel hut to stick in the sand on the beach - anywhere you'd like it. If you do this, please ASK them how to do your umbrella if you're not sure. It seems obvious, but so many people were putting the umbrella together (it comes in 2 parts) first - and then trying to get it into the sand. We laughed at those people - sometimes we helped them out, if we were close enough. You take the bottom piece and get that into the sand first -- and you do that with a back and forth motion -- not trying to pound it into the sand with your hand or the other piece of the umbrella, LOL. Come on, men - learn to ASK when something isn't working - brute strength does not always get it done! : ) (I saw so many he-men think they had pounded it in, only to have an ocean breeze come along, and knock over all their hard efforts!)

I did like the adult swim up -- I liked it because it was a nice area, and no kids. There was a lot of kids at this resort, more than I've ever seen elsewhere. They had areas for them, so it wasn't like they bothered anything -- although there were always strollers, and kids in line for the bathrooms, etc. Anyway - I did like the adult swim up -- but it does only get sun during certain times, which was earlier than we'd often be ready to go over from the beach. It also could get too crowded, which took the fun out of it, sometimes. But at least there weren't any kids in there! :) (Not that I dislike kids...)

The service, as everyone talks about, was very good. The workers work their butts off.

Rooms -- I loved our room. We were there for 2 weeks, and I just loved coming back to our clean room everyday. I loved the shower, although the water did have a tendency to change temperatures while you were using it -- it would get hot, and then it would go back to normal.
Minor inconvenience -- I've had worse. Our water pressure was good.

The Bad -- See, this is where it is tricky, because this wouldn't be "bad" for everyone. Going into this trip, I hadn't realized that my husband and I have now become "seasoned travelers" - at least to Mexico. We know now more what "we" want.

Our first week here, we were with 5 other couples. The week went fast, and we had a lot of fun. But then -- the rest of the group left, and my husband and I were there for another week, by ourselves,. Well, that's where what is lacking really stood out. Everything is so "family/family/family" They don't have a lot of games by the pool, and the music they play is the exact same every single day -- and its LAME. They have this recording of Pink Floyd songs, sung by a woman.... slowly and quietly. OMG, it was a few days before we realized it was Pink Floyd songs!! They NEVER played any good rock and roll, it was always so mellow.....

They have a weekly party on the beach. This is fun - but over far to quickly.

Once your day is over -- there is a big, gaping hole before dinner --- and then again after dinner, with NOTHING to do, NOTHING. The only place you can sit is in the lobby bar. We had a great waitress - loved her -- but the place is DULLSVILLE. I mean, when all 12 of us where there the first week, it was "ok" -- but when it was just my husband and I? OMG, we had to keep slamming down shots, just so we wouldn't fall asleep out of sheer boredom. There is nothing to do between dinner and the show (starting at 9:30) and then nothing after that, except the disco -- if you're going to stay awake until 11:30 for that. I wanted to stay awake for the disco, but I was so bored, I only made it once.

They need a "fun" bar thats open at night. Heck, the only fun bar even in the day is that swimup bar -- and there is not enough room for people. The beach bar isn't really a bar, its just a counter where they make you drinks. You can't sit there -- you have to take your drinks away with you. NO place except the lobby or the swimup, to really sit and drink and have a good time.

I'm sorry, but for my husband and I -- sitting around, mingling and hanging with other guests and drinking is WHY we LIKE all inclusives!

So basically -- this is a good resort for -- people with kids (little ones, older ones would be bored) Honeymooners who only have eyes for each other, very old people who just want to go to bed after dinner anyway, or people who either come in big groups or who like to keep to themselves, and don't care about talking to others.

Sure wish I'd have read a review like this before we booked for TWO weeks -- one week would have been ok, since we were with a group.

Room Tip: You're either going to be close to the pool/beach (we were) or close to the lobby -- either way...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management we thank you for your feedback about your experience at the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal and for choosing our premises for your holidays.

We appreciate your positive evaluation about the cleanliness and beauty of our grounds and the service provided by our friendly staff in bars and restaurants. At Iberostar we are committed to providing the best service.

We are very sorry that we were not able to fulfill your expectations on your stay due to the lack of entertainment. Your comments have been forwarded to the person in charge in order to look into this.

If would be an honor to serve you again at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal if you decide to come back to the wonderful Riviera Maya. However, remember that you have more Iberostar hotels at your disposal in this area, with categories suitable for every taste, such as: Premium, Premium Gold and our top brand The Grand Collection for adults only.

We would also like to invite you to visit our website where you can find the different hotel categories we have in the Caribbean and in different parts of the world.

We remain at your disposial for further assistance.

Kindest regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Quetzal. The beach was great and the shows were great. The staff known as the Star Friends were like family, like they knew us for years. This was our sons first all inclusive trip and he was blown away. This was our first stay at the Quetzal. We had preeviously stayed twice at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach and the Barcelo Maya Beach in Mexico and also once at the Iberostar Dominicana in Punta Cana DR. We chose the Quetzal because it was smaller than the Paraiso Beach and Barcelo but we were not disappointed. This may be our favorite.The food was good, maybe not awesome, but if you tried everything you will definately not starve. We prefer the open air breezy buffet to an Air conditioned a La Carte any day. However the Japanese and Italian a La Cartes were great. There is definately something for everyone. There is a free 45 min guided bicycle tour every morning at 10 am. This is a wonderful tour through the gated community of Playacar. Our guide, Samanda, was the sweetest girl you could imagine. If you choose to rent a bicycle and go out on your own it is $5 and includes a basket on your bike and a lock. Otherwise do the free tour !! 5 of the 7 shows at night were awesome!! If you are thinking of booking this hotel you wont be disappointed. I must say that our only disappointment were some of the non english speaking guests who were quite rude, but this seems to be true of all of the hotels we have stayed at so don't let this influence your decision. I wish these people would just stay home. We truly believe that any one who has a complaint about this hotel is not someone who we would like to spend our vacation with, there are no faults at this hotel. We will definately return to this resort or any other Iberostar Hotel as this is now our home away from home. We did read about the WiFi being expensive, and yes our son paid $15 for a day but it turned out to be almost 2 days of service each time. And you have to use it in the lobby, so it was nice not seeing anyone around the resort glued to an I Phone. Remember folks, no one complained about this 10 years ago. And if you're an addict, walk 5 min down the street and Starbucks has free WiFi. They also sell phone cards in the lobby. $25 US for all you can call from the phones so leave your cells at home folks. We stayed in Bldg 21, 30 second walk to beach or pool or 2 min walk to lobby. We loved it. If you're the average Canadian or from anywhere else and enjoy people and life and fun, then book this hotel. But if you refuse to speak English or Spanish, or were born with a silver spoon in your hand and a fork up your other end, and are upset that you had to leave your servants at home, then please do us all a favor and stay at a Palace , or better yet, stay at home. People seem to forget that the people who work in these resorts do this for a living 24/7. They are profesionals. They will get to know you and treat you like family. They want you to have a good time and they try their best to make sure you do. So go to Mexico, don't look for trouble, say hello to everyone, say thank you , try to speak Spanish, smile alot, don't waste food or drinks just because they are unlimited and enjoy everything this beautiful country and its wonderful people have to offer. You will be glad you did. Thanks for reading and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your holidays and for taking time to post a review about your last stay with us.

We want to express you our happiness when reading how you highlighted the excellent service provided by our staff. They do work very hard to achieve our guests’ complete satisfaction so nothing is more rewarding than your recognition.

Your positive comments regarding the comfortable beds and our gastronomy are also very much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back, please feel free to contact us before your next visit.

With regards,

Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked with Air Canada Vacations. In-flight service & comfort was fine (food available for a price) – seatback entertainment units had good movie and music selection. Cancun airport has really improved since we were there several years ago – no huge line up at customs this time! Transfers from airport to the resort and return via small van – direct, quick and comfortable.

We had good rooms (4 adults/2 rooms) as requested. Building 21, top floor (no elevators), with very comfortable king bed, mostly tree top view from our balcony with just a small view of the “ocean”. Everything in our room was in good working order. Room was quiet, kept clean and well supplied. Bathroom is small but not a problem – shower only. Shower water temp was variable in the afternoon when everyone is getting cleaned up before dinner.

The resort property is quite unique – lots of mature tropical trees and other vegetation, jungle, jungle pathways and lots of birds, iguanas, and various mammals including monkeys (in the jungle and sometimes in trees near the pool). Most of these animals roam freely on the resort property, which was great to see. We really liked this style of resort with its tropical feel vs. some of the glitzy new style resorts with their sleek ultra-modern furnishings where you feel like you could be at a big city hotel anywhere but Mexico.

The pool was large – the end nearest the beach was shallow, good for kids and various pool activities; the other end was deeper and quiet. Lots of chairs and palapas around the pool but some areas seemed crowded. Lots of palapas and chairs on the beach too. Or you can borrow large beach umbrellas and pick your own spot on the beach – I haven’t seen this before at other resorts. Although reserving chairs is officially not permitted, it is common practice here like most resorts, and necessary if you want a good spot for the day.

We (4 adults) were all very impressed with the food and service at all the a la carte restaurants we visited. We booked 3 initially and one more later in the week: steakhouse, Mexican, Japanese, and tropical. The main buffets were good – we could usually find good food any time we went there. The fajita station at the main buffet was very good. We usually ate breakfast and lunch at the beach/pool buffet restaurants each day because they were very convenient to our rooms, pool & beach – food choices were more limited there than at the main buffets but fine for our needs. One thing we all noticed and commented on was that there were virtually no line-ups at any of the buffet restaurants including the omelet stations and none of the serving dishes were left empty very long. Even though this resort was obviously operating at high capacity, they seem to be able to handle the crowds very well. (you might want to bring a good steak spice - although the steaks here are good quality, they could use a flavour boost)

We tried all the bars and found the service and quality of the drinks to be consistently good overall, however the orange juice (for mix or for breakfast) was very watery. They never seemed to run out of bananas or mojito mint. House wines were not very good, like most other resorts we’ve been to – simple solution: skip the wine and order a margarita!

We went to the evening entertainment a few nights. We enjoyed shows on nights when there was a live band, professional dancers and live singers. Other nights, not so good, recorded music and lip-sync – we left early those nights. The pre-show stuff was a drag.

We brought US cash to use for tips assuming it would be easy to find change in small bills at this resort as needed. This turned out to be more difficult than expected…there didn’t seem to be any quantities of small US bills anywhere I asked. We therefore exchanged our US cash for pesos at the front desk … 10 peso coins and 20 or 50 peso bills are good for tipping. You do not need to tip but it definitely was appreciated by the staff. One dollar Canadian or US was worth just over 11 pesos when we were there. If you are Canadian, just bring Canadian dollars in $10s or $20s and exchange to pesos as needed at the front desk.

WIFI/Internet service at this resort is poor and relatively expensive. Free WIFI, at least in the lobby area, should be available at any all-inclusive resort these days. I note that many reviewers complain about this problem but the responses from Iberostar representatives never seem to address this issue?

There were lots of guests at this resort from Canada, US, England, Germany, Russia and quite a few from Argentina and Chile. We encountered a very small number of rude or obnoxious guests but you run into that at any resort. Check-out was smooth, no surprises. We took advantage of the convenient shower facilities in the lobby in the afternoon before our evening flight home.

Before leaving the resort, the bell boy told us that Air Canada had called to advise that our return flight would be delayed 2 hours and that our shuttle would pick us up 2 hours later than originally scheduled. This allowed us to relax and enjoy one last meal at the main buffet instead of going to the airport too early. We were impressed that Air Canada was able to contact us and rearrange the shuttle time – with other tour companies, I think we’d find out about the delay only after arriving at the airport.

We’ve been to several Iberostar resorts (Mexico x 2, Cuba, Jamaica, Punta Cana) – we have enjoyed them all very much.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

On behalf of our Management, we thank you for posting a review about your experience and for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal to enjoy your recent vacations.

We would like to express our satisfaction to learn that your holiday was memorable and that our hotel premises, gastronomy and services surpassed your expectations when choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We will be more than happy to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your next visit.

With kindest regards,

Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our third time staying on the Mayan Rivera and the second time in the Playacar area. This was the best resort we have stayed at in Mexico and believe we got excellent value for our money.
We found the resort to be clean and well maintained and have absolutely no complaints. Our room was basic but comfortable which is what we expected. We only spent a few hours each night sleeping so we don't need anything above the basic. All of the staff was excellent and very eager to please.
The buffet restaurants at this resort are typical of the Mexican all inclusive in terms of variety but we thought the quality was better than average. We found this resort to have more fruit selection that we found at other resorts. We tried 4 of the a la carte restaurants, Caribbean, Japanese, Italian and Steak and found them all to be excellent. We especially enjoyed the Japanese which was cook at your table style like Ichiban. I was impressed with the sushi which exceed my expectations in quality. Another pleasant surprise were the house wines. In the 5 years we have been going to Mexico I have learned to expect very little from the house wine and at one resort I was unable to drink it. However the house wine at Iberostar Quetzal was OK.
The beach is fantastic and we had no problem finding a chair. At mid-day it was difficult to find space under a palapa but by 2:00 pm we could usually find one in the shade. We also used the pool which we found to be nice and clean and the perfect temperature.
I only have one complaint and that is with the internet service. Service is available in the lobby at an additional charge but I found it was of such poor quality (slow speed) that I could not use it. I had tried to send my daughter an email with 2 photographs (total size 3.5 meg) and after waiting 1/2 hour for it to up-load, without success, I gave up. I went the next day to Starbucks and sent the email in seconds so I know it wasn't me or my computer. I would expect a 5 star resort to have decent internet service. I am willing to pay extra but it needs to be good quality.
My wife and I have been to 5 all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Iberostar Quetzal is the first one where we said to each other that we would seriously consider returning next year. Not to say the others were bad but this resort was the first to meet or exceed all of our expectations.
I never did figure out why there are twin resorts, Quetzal and Tucan. We were registered at Quetzal but our room was on the Tucan side. They appear to operate as one resort once you get past the lobby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

On behalf of our Management we thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your holidays and for writing a review about your experience with us.

At Iberostar we seek to ensure a memorable stay for our guests through our guiding principles: to offer an exquisite gastronomy, to be settled near the best beaches around the world, to upkeep our grounds and to provide an excellent service. We are very pleased to read your positive valuation about these aspects.

As per your comments about the Internet, we are glad to inform you that we are working on improving the Internet access and introducing the service in the rooms at Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal with an extra cost.

With best regards,

baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and i vacationed at the Quezetal from25Feb to 4March. This is a very nice resort. Ther grounds are very well kept and the monkeys, big and little birds and other fauna give the resort its own identity. Service in all areas was excellent. I cannot state that strongly enough--from the desk to wait staff to maids to grounds folks--all were very friendly and helpful. The buffet was very good and we had opportunities to eat grouper, lamb, duck, veal and lots of other good foods. We had room 2404--balcony overlooked a waterfall and ponds full of wildlife. Whoever trained the staff needs a raise. Now no where is perfect--Iberostar should consider bringing on free wifi--we could get it at starbucks and by sitting near a neighboring resort--this resort should move to the current technology. The owner might consider moving the bar pool from its currently iosolated spot to the main pool. Where it is now is kind of cold and like standing in a big urinal---I'm sure all health issues are adhered to, but it is like hanging out in a bowl. Matresses were very firm--they sit on a concrete slab. Perhaps a pillowtop or amall box spring might be considered. Meanwhile, this is not a serious issue. We will surely return to this fine property--beats anywhere we've been in jamaica and Punta Cana.

Room Tip: 2404 was in the middle of all things and had a super view of a rainforest setting.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear guest,

First at all, we want to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your vacations and for taking the time to write some comments about your stay among us.

We would like to express our gratitude for the positive evaluation you made of the excellent service provided by our friendly staff and the cleanness, beauty and maintenance of our hotel premises. At Iberostar all of these aspects are part of our guiding principles.

On the other hand, we would like to inform you that your suggestions have been forwarded to the departments involved. Currently, for our beds, we have soft bed toppers available for those who find beds to be too firm. They can be requested at the front desk or public relations desk.

We remain at your entire disposal in case you decide to feel like a “Star” in any of our resorts on the best beaches worldwide.

Best regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Quetzal Playacar? Share your experiences!