“Location is Perfect for Walk into Town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Quetzal Playacar

You added Iberostar Quetzal Playacar to your Saves list
Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av Xaman-Ha. Lote hotelero No. 2, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #36 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Beach Park, Illinois
“Location is Perfect for Walk into Town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Sorry for writing this late. I was @ Iberostar May 28th - June 4th, my 10th visit to this #1 resort. For me and perhaps you as well is the location of this property. Driving from the airport is under an hour, as in the bus you will have to wait as others get off @ their hotels. It gives you a feel to see where you won't be and you will notice how far the other resorts are from the "center of town." Iberostar is located in a very very safe parameter of two entrances/exits gates. The main gate has a high wall with the words of "Playacar" The gates are average size with attendees holding the bus drivers identification to enter, and taxis are let in with us to enter back and forth.
Once you are inside the "main zone" of Playa Del Carmen" you will see the beautiful condos and other resorts. There is one shopping plaza across the street with a Starbucks for good coffee. Only about five minutes to walk from Iberostar. They have free internet I believe when you purchase a coffee, and their are public phones to use outside in the plaza. The hotel you have to pay at increments of 15 or 30 min used that day, then it expires. About 3 or 4 dollars.
Not all phone cards work on all public phones. At the resort only their cards bought from the resort/stores work on-site phones. $20.00 for 1/2 hour or so I believe. You can buy phone cards from pharmacies @ the plaza and walk around and I know of three phones that accept different cards. Look for them in the back of the stores, as there are a few more shops as well back there. Prices are a bit too much here, but your last minute shopping it works.
Shopping - I always go the very first day (s) to get it out of the way. I know some visitors do it on their last day and spent the whole day away from the ocean, and then get back and have to pack ;-). In town (not across the street plaza) near 5th avenue where you must go! You can shop at Walmart for all your Liquor, very reasonably prices. You can pack in your suitcase two bottles each person. And cigarettes are sold there too, I don't smoke but information for you. Just a suggestion for you. If you take a cab from resort into 5th avenue do your shopping their first, walk around and yes you can walk to Walmart, (just ask anyone to point which direction) then take the cab back to resort. Saves $$$, they raised the taxi fares from $5 to $7 now each way.
Imagine if you don't stay in the "main Zone" at other resorts and take a taxi into town it could cost about $30.00 each way. Yes other resorts have shuttle service into town, but fyi about the taxis.
If you don't leave the resort vendors come by the beach and sell silver, sunglasses, cigars, jewelry. Actually I purchase all my goods from them. It saves me time-as I'm a beach bum. Don't pay the price anyone wants!! They will come down in prices if you see something on the beach and to expensive they will come by in am and pm and same everyday, except Sunday, only a few.
RESORT - After traveling all these years, this is my final destination. I love this resort for the fact that everything at Iberostar is very within reach!!!!!!!!! Some resorts are just too big yes this is big but I can handle the jungle or the sidewalk to get from one place to another.
The beach is simply the biggest reason why I go to Iberostar. So so beautiful, the most prettiest shades of blue water and white sand. A lot of people feed the fish bread which I don't like, I don't like the fish around me. Pretty fish but oh well.
You can run walk on this beach and see the other fifteen or so resorts and people watch. If you didn't know there are a lot of topless women here and almost every other resort. The pool is simply very big and has another separate pool for swimming laps. Usually this one is empty. You can take inflatable rafts to lay on, I do and pass them on to someone to keep, as I don't want to deal with bringing it back in the suitcase. It's also a good feeling for me to make some child light up with a big smile.
The Iberostar has Tucan/Quetzal - same drive entrance you just go right or left. Has two reception sides and two lobbies with two different bars. Which you can drink at either one. Just walk around and explore. NOTE. The steak house at times have changed locations, either at the location where it's suppose to be or at the main buffet is at the beach. Men don't forget to bring long pants to enter into some of the restaurants.
The food is very good with fish, meats, rice, soup, pizza, tacos, hamburgers, hot dogs, ect. Please bring enough of tipping money for these very kind sweet hard working people. They are in the hot hot sun serving you/me all day. I always bring $100 in singles to pass out to everyone.
You won't regret staying here! You can also get a day pass to the other sister Iberostar's. The Paradiso is approximately 1/2 hour before the resort. You can watch for it on your bus ride. This resort is just too too big huge and away from everything. There is another Iberostar in Cozumel you can visit as well for free, eat and drink. But this one is across the ocean. A ferry boat takes you into town in Playa Del Carmen (cost $8 or so one way) then a $25 cab ride to the resort. Small bungalows are very cute, again far away from everything and their ocean is very shallow and rocky.
Enjoy this resort you won't regret it, it truly is a fun fun beautiful time, location is perfect. You want location-trust my opinion. It is truly safe to go out of the resort. You will see all other people in town as well. Don't be afraid when you see soldiers with rifles-it is normal for years for ever. Soldiers have a headquarters in town. A lot of clubs for nigh life in town, walk down towards the beach. Towards "Blue Parrot" is where all the clubs are, with loud music and lots of pretty lights. They have night acts with fire.
No need to exchange you money, only if you want to. I never do. If you do change your money at the resort don't forget to take your passport with you to the front desk.
REMEMBER your room isn't ready until after 3:00 pm. Don't get mad and wait in the lobby, the maids are cleaning from the people who just spent a week or more for you. Pack your suit and shoes in your carry on and change in the lobby change room Yes your suitcases are fine and secure with the concierge. You will have your bracelet on and can eat and drink. Enjoy your vacation, this is the place for you and your family. A kids place for the kids small child pool swings and nursery for babysitting.
The rooms have a safe for valuables-you decide the combination. Stocked fridge with water, beer, and pop.The on-site night club is air conditioned and starts happening after the main entertainment show ends. Vendors set up in the hotel and sell souvenirs and certain days, as well out by the beach.
Book this resort today ;-)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Just returned from this hotel after a 2 week stay with my girlfriend and her family. This was my 3rd visit to Mexico and first at this hotel.

The hotel has a very traditional feel to it and has a fantastic beach. I feel this is the only thing it has over the Grand Sirenis hotel which we have stayed at twice. This hotel was £500 more expensive per couple however we choose this as travelling with my girlfriends little brother and for the fantstic Star friends all Iberostar resorts have which again is better than the Sirenis.

I felt the food here was very repetitve in the Buffet restaurants and also at the pool bar. Food qualoty was good however i struggle some nights to fins something. Al la carte restaurants were gret especially the steak house.
The mascara night club on the resort was ok and children were allowed in which was a bonus compared to most other resorts.
The rooms agian were ok and were very traditional compared to the Junior Suites as standard on offer ath the Grand Sirenis.

All in all we enjoyed our stay however next year we willl definatly return tho the Sirenis and it has better quality rooms larger resort, much better food and at £500 cheaper????

merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I have just returned from the Quetzal after having a wonderful 2 week holiday. The hotel is beautiful. From the stunning reception / lobby to the amazing "jungle" complete with monkeys and iguanas to name a few!
The staff are so friendly. They always had a smile and went out of their way to help. My room was in between the restaurants and beach and although you could occasionally hear the entertainment at the hotel next door, it was perfect. Room was cleaned daily and the fridge was always re-stocked every 2 days with different towel art waiting for my return. Some people on here have complained about the beds being hard. Maybe its what you are used to but I had no problem sleeping.
The beach was busy and beds were reserved well before 8.30 but there were plenty available. Beach was beautiful as was the sea and there were several bar staff taking drink orders and bringing them to you. A lovely idea!
The Star Friends work so hard. Whether its during the day around the pool, on the beach or putting on the evening shows - and even dancing with the guests in the on site disco, they always looked like they were enjoying themselves and had so much enthusiasm. A big Thank You to Erandira, Mariana and Edu for making me feel so very welcome.

Can honestly say I had a wonderful holiday and look forward to returning

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

We were a group of 9 family and friends celebrating my sons 21st birthday. We were given 2 rooms in block 22 right by the pool, the other 2 rooms were miles away (yes the resort is huge!) but this was quickly resolved the next day and we were all in the same block. Thank you Iberostar. We had previously stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel and had a fantastic time and were then recommended by other guests there to stay at the Iberostar Quetzal on our next visit to Mexico. We loved it. As many of the other reviews have stated there were loads of animals and it felt like you were actually in a jungle, the grounds are just so pretty.
Considering that there are around 700 rooms in the two hotels that share the grounds (Quetzal & Toucan), we could always find 9 sunbeds either around the pool or at the beach.Didn't do much relaxing as it was just too hot to sunbathe so played in the sea and pool, which were both warm. The adults pool and bar was great to cool off and have a relaxing drink under the little waterfall, we met and made many friends from all over the world there.
The entertainment was great both around the pool on the beach and in the evening shows, the star friends work sooooooo hard, thank you everyone you are so talented
and funny. Marianne we met before in Cozumel we miss you already she is an amazing dancer.
Food was great, they cater for all nationalities so try something different, hey we are all English but did have waffles and maple syrup with our bacon and eggs. You can also have some amazing fruit and try cactus juice instead of orange! Went to the Steakhouse twice and loved the ribs, the Japanese is fantastic don't forget to take your camera for the show cooking and the food is delicious.
Well the drinks. you can't come to Mexico and not try the Tequila whether you want to or not someone will offer you one (or maybe a few more!), I loved the Mojitos and blue Hawaii's plus the beer is okay. Ask at the bar for any drink and they will try and make it for you. After all that go to the Mascara disco and do the 'cupid, cupid shuffle' you will fall into bed under a lovely cooling fan ready for another fun day. Just don't do what my husband did which was fall asleep on the balcony and got eaten alive by the mosquitos.
For a fun night out you must go to coco bongo's (see their reviews), and for a fantastic authentic Mayan adventure go on the Jungle Maya Expedition. you will zip-line, snorkel in underground rivers, cenote repelling, Mayan ceremony, Mayan lunch and go in a Unimog 4 x 4, it is amazing.
We loved this hotel and we love Mexico.

Home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Just returned from a week stay at this wonderful resort. Hubby and myself and 3 young adults 19,23 and 24 years old. We had 2 standard rooms 1 was ready when we arrived 1 wasn't so we had our stuff delivered to the room that was ready and went to get something to eat. Let me start by saying that i have been to Mexico 2 other times and stayed at both Excellence Resorts i don't think anything can compare to those resorts but in all fairness i wasn't looking for excellence quality because we had our kids with us we were looking for a resort to have fun with them and Iberostar more than fit the bill. The rooms were cleaned everyday and the food was adequate. We were able to reserve our 3 restaurants when we got there and then on the days we didn't have reservations we went back to see if there were any openings and there were so we only ate at the buffett for dinner the first night we arrived. We enjoyed all of them just keep in mind you aren't in the U.S so you won't get U.S quality food but everyone should be able to find something to eat. Hey if you don't like it order something else no big deal. The staff were wonderful except for 1 of the Lomas Rep. but no reflection on the hotel he doesn't for them. The Star Friends are a hard working crew full of energy and always smiling a shout out to Edu, Joshua and Harry Potter you guys rock. The beach is beautiful with white sand and blue water. Would i go to this resort again diffently.

Room Tip: Bulidings 2100 and 2200 are closer to the beach
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at the Quetzal from 20/7 to 3/8. We had the most amazing time.
The beach was beautiful & the sea a beautiful shade of blue.
The pool was enormous & lovely.
The food was fantastic. We didn't find it at all repetitive. The hot food was always hot and always very tasty. All the restaurants were great and we especially liked the Japanese. The waiters were faultless & always had a smile on their face.
Our room was in block 29 so probably the furthest away from the pool/ beach which at first we weren't happy with and asked to move but couldn't straigh away but after a couple of days we decided to stay put as we really enjoyed our daily walk through the hotel & best of all down the jungle paths seeing all the animals which consisted of Flamingos, Peacocks, MONKEYS, Iguanas etc, etc. Our room was very comfortable & roomy. As with other reviews the bed was a bit hard & within 30 minuted of asking we had a lovely soft matress topper on our bed. The maid service was faultless & the mini bar restacked every other day.
The waiterss service on the beach (drinks) was great but if you coudn't wait the beach bar was a few steps away. There was ice cream on tap all day which was a bit hit with kids.
The entertainment staff "Star Friends" were out of this world. Always happy, energenic with activities for every one all day & then they performed in the evening show most nights with amazing dancing skills. They were always there & some of the hardest working people I have ever come across.
There is nothing bad that can be said about this hotel & I cannot wait to go back one day.
We didn't do any of the excursions but did go out into the town known as 5th Avenue which was a 70 peso taxi ride each way. A little closer about a 5 minute walk away was a little shopping type centre with lots of souvenir stalls.

Room Tip: The beds are firm so ask for a mattress topper.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I searched for over a year for our ideal wedding location. As soon as I received a prompt email response from wedding coordinator Gabriela with attached photos, I knew that we had finally found the place for us. Gabriela was a fantastic wedding planner, which was critical to us while planning our wedding from the states. We also thought our photographers Jorge and Jhankarlo (Onsite Adventure Photos) did a fabulous job, and ended up purchasing the rights to all of our wedding photos they took.

It was important to us to find a location that would be a good fit for our group of 58 guests of all ages (baby to grandparents). We could not have asked for a better location. Everyone had a great time and said it was the best wedding they had ever attended. We had our welcome dinner in the Restaurant Tulum (buffet). After our beautiful wedding reception on the beach, we had a cocktail hour on the beach complete with a mariachi band and the reception at the Tropical restaurant. The following day, we reserved the Hibachi restaurant for our farewell dinner.

The beach was gorgeous (large, white sand with turquoise blue water) and plenty of beach chairs. The grounds were lush and we saw all kinds of animals throughout the week. This a medium sized resort, where you saw some familiar faces, but could do your own thing if you wanted. It was a short trip into Playa Del Carmen by taxi or via the beach, but there were plenty of things to do at the resort.

Our group reserved several of the ocean front rooms for the week, and enjoyed the views and proximity to the beach and pools. If you are traveling to this resort for a special occasion, I would recommend upgrading. However, all those who did reserve a standard room, also enjoyed their rooms.

As our group enjoyed the vacation so much, we have already started planning a reunion trip for the upcoming winter.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Quetzal Playacar? Share your experiences!