“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 198 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Kansas City, Missouri
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - we usually love our stays with boutique hotels, but this was memorably terrible. The staff is sketchy, the rooms were dirty and outdated, and at one point we had water coming in the front door. Reception never picked up any of our phone calls and the entire organization just seems run down. We felt like we were staying in a dirty 1980's college dorm room. Stains on the sheets, broken safe, dust bunnies everywhere....not to mention the constant puddle of water on the bathroom floor from the shower water leaking out. If it weren't for the pricey cancellation policy, we would have stayed elsewhere. Incredibly disappointed....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
LoroAzul, Owner at Blue Parrot Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
While we respect everyone's opinion, I can't help but wonder if we're talking about the same hotel when I hear the Blue Parrot Suites characterized as a "1980's dorm room." The Blue Parrot Suites opened in 2005 and are fully furnished in Tommy Bahama Home. While not the Four Seasons, the units are very nicely appointed, cleaned daily and refurbished on a quarterly basis. Our highly experienced English speaking staff and Canadian Manager have been with us for the better part of a decade and continually get glowing reviews. This is the first time I've heard the term sketchy used to describe them. Hmmmm?

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Very nice hotel, i went in october low season, but theres actually no low season in playa del carmen, the only bad thing i can say is that they had no cold water, but they offered us another room just to shower...

Room Tip: The third floor suite with connected room, its ideal if your a group of six people..
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had been travelling through Mexico by car. We travelled from Mexico city to Cancun. We stayed in Tulum first, and a t our last day there went down to inspect play del Carmen and it's properties. Because we had done some bidget travelling and beacause playa is a touristic place we reconned we would be spending more then normaly and spoil ourselfs.

We checked out diffrent hotels. We preferred to have a hotel at the beach so we did not have to rent chairs and an umbralle every time we went down (and you need onze because there is no natuaral shadow and it is blazing hot). In addition 5th avenue is close to the beach and it is around that area that you can find nice shops and restaurants.

After reading some good stuff about the Blue Parrot in our travell guides and walking through the part thats on the beach, we got some info at the front desk. The girl was really nice, the room was 57usd including breakfast. We asked to check it out and it looked wonderfull so we booked 2 days.

We actually stayed in the Blue parrot suites (room 131, I believe it was). This is a beautifull complex! We had an enormous bueatifull room! With a big kitchen (bigger then the one a have at home), equipped with everything you need if you want to do your own cooking; a big fridge (the only one we have ancouterd stay at different hotels and hostels througout Mexico and really handy to have you own cold drinks when it is that hot!); a king size cofartbla bed, table and chairs, plenty of storagge room, AC, a safe, a tv and free wifi. The bathroom was nice and fresh towels and soaps were provided dailly. The room was cleaned every day and you get a bottle of free water daily.

The breakfast which was included was really yummie and was served at the beachbar where you could begin your day with magnificent shoreviews. Towelservice and use of the umbrellas and sunningbeds was also included. In addition, the Blue Parrot throws partys at night on their part of the beach, and were others have to buy entrance tickets you can get in for free if you stay there. They also have amazing fireshows.

We had a nice sitting are outside of our room, which was near the pool and their was also a jucuzzi which could only be used by our room and the room next door. Out of curiosity we asked if we could trie it. The guard said he thought the jacuzzi was broke, but gave it a trie. The jacuzzi filled up, and although the bubbles were lacking (yes indeed the thing was broke) and we had to do it we the light show, we enjoyed in any way.

We parked our car on the road in front of the hotel as their was no parking, and although their is a guard 24 hours near the hotel entrance or walking around in the hotel, somebody tried to break in our car. So it's probably better to leave your valuebales in the room.

We loved it their so much that we we went down the front desk a couple of times to book some extra nights and ended up satying for almost a week. At one time when we asked to lengthen our stay we normally had to change to the room next door because the room we stayed in was booked. But the next day we found a note under the door to inform us we could just stay in our room.

We loved it and hope to return some day!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We had stayed at this resort in 2006 and wanted to return. Unfortunately the website pictures haven't changed, but it is not even the same place! It IS the same owners, and it is accurate as the name implies, but a new owner occupies the picture on the website. We stayed just the same and it was just OK. would not suggest it to friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Had a great time. Awesome staff, everyone so friendly and helpful. Not only is this hotel in the perfect location, but the staff were so nice and accomodating. Within a close walk is the beach and only a block from 5th ave restaurants and shopping. The hotel is clean and well kept with staff consisently working around the clock to keep it that way. We will be back to the Blue Parrot and we will recommend it to all our friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
winchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

I want to first say that I have been a flight attendant with a major airline for 11 years. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, in several different countires. My husband and I have been to Mexico 6 times and will never use this hotel again. We have stayed a at The Fiesta Americana, The RIU Canun, & La Tortuga. There are many things you can overlook, but this place was a mess. We are not hard to get a long with. When we checked in I asked if it was loud at night due to the night clubs in the area? The woman at the front desk replied no, your hotel is down about a block. The first night it was quite, then all hell broke loose. The second night about 10:00 pm we heard yelling and screaming in the court yard. I looked out the window and there were about 15 girls who has just arrived. I noticed they were staying in two rooms. All 15 of them. I figured spring break everyone can get crazy for a night. Well all night until 6:30am they were screaming, yelling, chanting and blowing a whistle. The night club was just down the street. Why they didn't leave and go there is beyond me. That morning at breakfast all the other guest were complaining. The lady at the front desk just smiled and said they are not spring breakers. They are local girls who came for the week end. Again about 10:30 pm the party started. I went on the balcony and it was the same group. I went down stairs to the security guard and asked him to do something. He told me he didn't speak english. I tried to explain and even took him by his hand to show him. I went back to my room. At 4:30am they were still going. I tried to call the front desk no anwser. I went to the security guard again he just shrugged his shoulders. I walked a block to the night club, where the front desk is located. I told security again and they brought out the guy over everyone. He walked back to the hotel and I pointed out what was going on. About 6:30am all was finally quiet. I went to the front desk to complain and was told they were well aware of the problem, due to everyone complaining. I asked her if we could move to another hotel. I explained to her I couldn't go through another night like this. She informed me they would not refund my money, nor would they give me any type of discounted rate. We were stuck. She did tell me the girls had one more night there and then they would be checking out. We had the same problem all over again the next night. I again had to go to the bar to get security and it was the same guy from the night brefore. This time he even had a rum and coke in his hand. I could smell it when he walked up to me. I told him either he do something or I was going back to my room and call the police. I think the party died around 5:00 am. When I woke up there were beer bottles all over, and someone has goitten sick by the pool. I think the hotel should have asked the girls to move to the Blue Parrot up on 5th Ave or even asked them to leave. I paid $153.00 a night for 5 nights at this place. I will never come back and do intend to tell everyone not to use this hotel. I'm 38 years old and enjoy the night life, however this was not enjoyable. In October my husband and I stayed at the La tortuga and I cannot say enough wonderful things about it. We thought we would give this place a try, but what a mistake. There are much nicer hotels, on a better stretch of the beach. Take my word, looks cute, but not a good place to stay. PLEASE feel free to email me if you want any further information.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
As a hotel owner, I cringe when I read of experiences like this. I've suffered through the same at hotels and I know how maddening it is. We put a lot of value on the peace and ambiance of the Blue Parrot Suites and frequently turn away larger groups of young people who want to stay together in a room, but every once in awhile, they get past us--when that happens, its difficult to contain. Management should have offered a full refund or credit for a future stay. We've taken taken steps to ensure that this experience isn't repeated with future guests.
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

After being recommended by a friend we booked a five night stay at the Blue Parrot suites and had a wonderful experience from start to finish. Our kitchenette suite was very nice with extremely comfortable beds and nice appointments throughout. We had two TV's and wireless internet access and a nice view of the beach from our balcony. Every morning we had the complementary breakfast at the Blue Parrot beach club and all of the staff were very friendly and gracious. They also brought us towels and drinks when we used the beach chairs.

This was our first time to Playa del Carmen and we had heard that it can get loud at night on the 5th avenue where all the action is. The suites are an easy two block walk from 5th avenue so you can enjoy the nightlife and then go back to the quiet of your room. And the suites are just a block from the beach.

We are looking forward to staying here again soon!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Parrot Suites? Share your experiences!