We have just returned from the Riu Yucatan and have had the most amazing holiday of our lives - already saving up to go back next year!
This was our first ever time at an all-inclusive resort and we were slightly apprehensive about what to expect, especially as there are a few bad reviews on this site. All I can say is that those who give bad reviews are either miseries or moaners or they've had a bad holiday for some other reason and are blaming it on the hotel rather than taking responsibility themselves! Everything about the Riu Yucatan is muy excellente!
The rooms are big, clean, comfortable with well-stocked mini-bar and fridge and mercifully have very good air-conditioning.
The staff are the most friendly and attentive of anywhere we've ever visited. Particular favourites are los dos Heribertos, Elsa, Marin and Henry. We started to look forward to seeing them at mealtimes.
The food was superb - breakfast was our favourite buffet. There was plenty of choice to have something different every day over the 2 weeks we were there. The most basic food was at the beach restaurants.
We went to each of the A La Carte restaurants - favourite was Asian, then the steak house and lastly the Mexican (as it seemed very salty).
The pool was huge - my only concern about the pool area was that people tended to stay at the swim-up bar for a looong time without appearing to get out to use the loos!
I preferred swimming in the sea, which was the most amazing clear, blue, warm water. The waves got a little hairy at times but there was a life guard there to call people out of the water when they became dangerous. The beach was fabulous - I'd read a lot about the erosion and the fact that the beach can sometimes become much diminished with a steep drop-off, but at the moment it is perfect - an expanse of beautiful white sand that is looked after continuously by Riu staff.
The Animacion team were very hard-working and seemed like a lot of fun. However, this type of entertainment wasn't our cup of tea but we were never hassled to join in. Our youngest son loved the mini-club and nightly mini-club disco though.
Despite having planned for this trip for months before and having read up on best places to visit, best deals etc, I still (stupidly) fell for booking a tour to Xel-Ha through the Thompson reps and was shocked at the cost. There are much cheaper legitimate tours which can be booked down at Playacar Plaza (and probably cheaper ones still in town) and I would recommend that you don't book with Thompsons. Be aware also that places like Xcaret and Xel-Ha go on height for admission so we had to pay adult prices for our 11 yr old son, which was something I hadn't planned for and therefore racked the cost of the tours up considerably.
We were there during Topical Storm Ida which meant that there was almost a week of rain, sometimes very heavy. Although not ideal, this didn't spoil the holiday at all, although I would've preferred snorkelling at Akumal on a clear day as we didn't get to see any of the famed turtles.
This holiday was an absolute dream-come-true holiday for us and we wouldn't even consider looking at going to a different resort next year if we go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico