“Muy Excellente!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

You added Hotel Riu Yucatan to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Yucatan
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 1 | Condominio Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #74 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Norfolk, UK
“Muy Excellente!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We have just returned from the Riu Yucatan and have had the most amazing holiday of our lives - already saving up to go back next year!
This was our first ever time at an all-inclusive resort and we were slightly apprehensive about what to expect, especially as there are a few bad reviews on this site. All I can say is that those who give bad reviews are either miseries or moaners or they've had a bad holiday for some other reason and are blaming it on the hotel rather than taking responsibility themselves! Everything about the Riu Yucatan is muy excellente!
The rooms are big, clean, comfortable with well-stocked mini-bar and fridge and mercifully have very good air-conditioning.
The staff are the most friendly and attentive of anywhere we've ever visited. Particular favourites are los dos Heribertos, Elsa, Marin and Henry. We started to look forward to seeing them at mealtimes.
The food was superb - breakfast was our favourite buffet. There was plenty of choice to have something different every day over the 2 weeks we were there. The most basic food was at the beach restaurants.
We went to each of the A La Carte restaurants - favourite was Asian, then the steak house and lastly the Mexican (as it seemed very salty).
The pool was huge - my only concern about the pool area was that people tended to stay at the swim-up bar for a looong time without appearing to get out to use the loos!
I preferred swimming in the sea, which was the most amazing clear, blue, warm water. The waves got a little hairy at times but there was a life guard there to call people out of the water when they became dangerous. The beach was fabulous - I'd read a lot about the erosion and the fact that the beach can sometimes become much diminished with a steep drop-off, but at the moment it is perfect - an expanse of beautiful white sand that is looked after continuously by Riu staff.
The Animacion team were very hard-working and seemed like a lot of fun. However, this type of entertainment wasn't our cup of tea but we were never hassled to join in. Our youngest son loved the mini-club and nightly mini-club disco though.
Despite having planned for this trip for months before and having read up on best places to visit, best deals etc, I still (stupidly) fell for booking a tour to Xel-Ha through the Thompson reps and was shocked at the cost. There are much cheaper legitimate tours which can be booked down at Playacar Plaza (and probably cheaper ones still in town) and I would recommend that you don't book with Thompsons. Be aware also that places like Xcaret and Xel-Ha go on height for admission so we had to pay adult prices for our 11 yr old son, which was something I hadn't planned for and therefore racked the cost of the tours up considerably.
We were there during Topical Storm Ida which meant that there was almost a week of rain, sometimes very heavy. Although not ideal, this didn't spoil the holiday at all, although I would've preferred snorkelling at Akumal on a clear day as we didn't get to see any of the famed turtles.
This holiday was an absolute dream-come-true holiday for us and we wouldn't even consider looking at going to a different resort next year if we go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Polish first
aberdeen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

hotel is advertised as 24 hour allinclusive food and drink/but the only food after 11.30pm is cheese and ham sandwiches every night for 14 days// they have a large cocktail list but they use diluted fruit juice disgusting you only get fresh juice at breakfast whats that all about for a hotel thats supposed to be 5 stars/// the food in buffet was ok but our last 3 days they did not refill hot food section after 9.45 chef informed me they were finished but the buffet on till 10.30am ??? the asian was good deep fried icecream great// you get a bucks fizz on a arrival made with diluted orange??? steakhouse good// mexican poor you get a better mexican selection in buffet on the theme night/// only problems with these restaurants is you have to be down at buffet at 7am to book except the mexican they still had seats up to 10.30am /// all staff were great cant complain there// room was roomy and very clean /// the drinks in your optic was fire water would be good for cleaning your paintbrushes/// the spirits behind the bar were not much better /very debatable if the smirnoff was the real thing/// entertainment at night was poor nothing after 12 for our age group/// there is a disco which when they played 70 and 80 music was great but that only lasted for 10 min and then it was boom boom boom which was a pity as it the only place with air condition to have a drink/// the usual morons putting towels on seats and never using them the staff should crack down there//// finaly mossys they were out 24 hrs a day never seen anything like it i was using 95 % deet which melted my allinclusive bracelet and i still got bitten ///first time we have used riu not impressed been in better which cost less

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Tadley, Hants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

Loved the hotel and the fact that you could easily walk to and use the Riu Tequila and Riu Playacar facilities during the day. This made a pleasant change of scenery and you could still get AI drinks and food.

Mosquitoes - try using the local spray (cheapest from Walmart) called Off, in an orange spray can. However the best tip I got was to wipe my legs, feet and soles of my feet all over with neat tequila before going out each evening. This seemed to do the trick for me and stopped the bites.

Great shopping but you need to bargain hard (Playacar or Playa Del Carmen). The jewellery shop near Riu Yucatan was good, the prices were 50% off and so you didn't have to waste time bargaining.

If we went back we probably would choose the Riu Playacar as they had a better pool we thought than RY and their beach BBQ was superior to Riu Yucatan and it was nearest to the Playacar shops. Riu Tequila had the only sports bar and did have the best pools but is across the road from the beach (there is a buggy transport though). We liked all 3 so would probably go for the cheapest one.

The speciality restaurants were fine and so was the buffet (buffets very similar in all 3 resorts and buffets near receptions had more choice then beach/pool buffets).

We went to the Riu Yucatan spa but the jacuzzi and sauna were both cold.

The beach was lovely and the beach whales provided shelter from the waves that could get a bit rough in the afternoon. No good for snorkelling, just sand and the odd white fish.

I won a 10 minute massage at the RY and it was lovely, I would recommend having one if you can afford it (about $40)

We would recommend the Xcaret trip and suggest you pay the All-inclusive option as the buffet was brilliant value (4 types of steak and huge prawns, plus mexican dishes and more) and you also do not have to worry about taking towels, snorkels, water etc. The underground river snorkel is great. We did it twice as there are 2 routes. We did it as soon as we arrived and this was better as it was quieter to snorkel through and more atmospheric. Getting a taxi there and back was easy and didn't cost much.

The wild life makes it interesting, howler monkeys appearing on your balcony, raccoon type creatures hovering around the Riu Tequila restaurant/pools, capubara? type rodents in the hotel grounds munching on the fruit. The stray cats are well down the pecking order!

The staff we found to be really helpful and the Thomson Reps equally so - (best Thomson reps we have had and as we tend to always holiday with Thomson thats saying something - Mayella and HP sauce lady).

We had a great holiday and would definately go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Riu Yucatan Hotel in Playacar. This was the 3rd time I have been to Mexico but the 1st time I have stayed in Playacar. I went with my husband, 3 children aged 2, 5 & 8 & my parents. I would describe the hotel as being pretty average in comparrison to the other places I have stayed in Mexico (the others being the Moon Palace & the Riu Caribe in Cancun).

The hotel had an unusually large mix of nationalities ranging from the expected Americans, English & Germans to the Dutch, Spanish & Argentinians.

We were on the 2nd of 3 floors which was ok apart from the lack of a lift. As we had a child in a buggy that was a little awkward sometimes. I can't complain though as we were offered to change to a ground floor room if we preffered. The rooms were ok, twin beds & a camp style bed in each one. It did mean that the 2 year old had to sleep between us as she didn't have her own bed. The rooms felt damp - probably due to the humidity & were a little tired in decor. The bathroom only had a shower which again was awkward with small children. The shower & loo really needed replacing as they were a bit ropey. The loo broke a few days into the holiday but was quickly repaired once reception had been notified. I was a bit dissapointed with the view though - no sea or pool views & lots of trees outside balcony so not much to look at.

The food was pretty good but as with most all inclusives became boring after 2 weeks. It could have done with more variety. Most lunch times we ate in the beach bar area which always served the same, burgers, sausages, chips, fish, pizza, pasta & rice with melon, jelly & ice-cream for afters!!! For some reason the tables in here were laid out to seat 4 & when we pushed 2 tables together one day as there was 7 of us we got told off!!!!! I was a bit surprised by this as it isn't something which would have been a problem in the other hotels. The Aisian restaurant was nice & worth a visit.

The staff were mostly friendly, there were a couple of good waiters in the dining room which if slipped a tip early on made sure the same table was ready for you every day & decorated with flowers. It pays to give a small tip (50 pesos) as it really does make the difference between being served & being well looked after. The glass collecters around the pool quite often seemed to be skiving on the beach & not doing much - in other hotels they would have been taking drinks orders around the pool & bringing drinks to you.

The entertainment was very repetative, there were a couple of shows based on Mama Mia & Greece which were ok. The best was a Michael Jackson Tribute which is an act that travels around the Riu Hotels. The entertainment staff were friendly but very self centered. After each show (every night!) there was a big bit at the end dedicated to cheering for them all one by one - you wouldn't get that at a West End Show!! It became tedious to watch.

Ema who was in charge of the Mini Club was a lovely girl & my daughters really enjoyed spending time with her. The playground area was a bit hit & miss but it was in the shade & the kids didn't seem to notice!!

The pool was ok, not especailly clean but not really dirty. The kids pool was ok for toddlers - only 2ft deep & was seperated from the main pool by a horrible tiled wall which desperately needs repairing. There were quite a lot of sun beds but the same story as in most places - to get a good one you had to be up early. There were loads of beds on the beach but not many in the shade. The beach was lovely, there is plenty of it & sea defences are not as bad as some make out.

Midges are a problem, spray doesn't seem to make much difference if you wear it!! They are everywhere and the bites are really itchy. They didn't seem to bite the kids though. The odd monkey made a twice weekly visit to the pool area but didn't stay long - i half wonder if it was an organised thing as lots of people with walkie talkies seemed to be following it along!!!!

The hotels on call Dr was efficient & the hospital very clean & friendly!! Make sure you have good insurance as you never know when you may need it - my daughters bill would have been around £800 without it.

Playa Del Carmen was a nice resort - plenty of shops, bars, cafes etc & Senor Frogs is worth a visit if you are up for a laugh. The ferry to Cozumel is easy to arrange & a good day out. I did find that things were massively overpriced in the shops & the trips very expensive in comparrison to other years.It cost me nearly £14.00 for a small pack of nappies & about £4.00 for a tub of Pringles. I would say the lack of tourism this year has really affected the area & accelerated the cost of things enormously.

To sum it up - you get what you pay for with this hotel. It isn't the most expensive hotel but i'ts not the cheapest either. If you want luxury & perfection don't stay here go to a more exclusive resort. If you are looking for a reasonable priced holiday in Mexico then this is acceptable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We were very impressed at the elegance of the resort upon the first glance of the lobby. The room was kept very clean, the staff was friendly and always greeted us with a friendly, "hola," in passing. The bar staff kept the drinks coming, and provided their own style of entertainment as well. The food on all the buffets was great, and we enjoyed being able to visit other Riu resorts that were close-by to dine at their restaurants as well. The pool was very clean, and this time of the year was perfect for anyone looking for a relaxing, and less-packed vacation. There were always plenty of chairs by the pool, and on the beach no matter what time of day we finally made it to the water. They provided beach towels for all guests, which is a great feature so you don't have to bother packing several large beach towels yourself. My new husband and I were a little skeptical about the evening entertainment, but all the shows that we took in were phenominal! Don't miss the Mexican Folklore show if you get a chance.....the caballero with the roping skills is insane! The location of this resort was only about a $10 (usd) from the Rio Secreto cave tour (absolutely HAVE TO SEE!), and our fishing trip in Puerto Adventuras. There's a small plaza about 10 minutes from the resort, or another 10 minutes walking you can be on 5th avenue, the main shopping spot in Playa del Carmen. We loved this trip, and absolutely enjoyed our first all-inclusive experience! If you go, make sure to look for Carlos in the bar by the pool - he's the BEST! The only complaint I have is the insanely uncomfortable bed, but after asking the staff about it, they were able to add some large blankets to give it a little padding. But don't let a bed stand in your way of checking this place out for yourself!

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Stayed at this hotel the first 2 weeks in October and could no fault if. The food was good perhaps not the choice in the main restaurant as we have had in the last few previous rius that we have stayed in but sometimes I think you can have too much choice. The food in the 3 speciality restaurants were excellent about the best ones that we have been too in all inclusive hotels and you weren't limited to using them only once a week as in most other hotels.
The staff were all extremely friendly and happy and nothing was too much trouble. Entertainment staff very good if you like this sort of thing.
No problem with the pool being dirty as stated in previous reviews and the beach is wonderful.
Could not really fault the hotel at all the only problem I encountered was the mossies although my husband wasn't bitten at all. Tried everything not even the off as others recommend worked. I did take anti histamine tablets with me and they helped the itching a lot. I think from now on they get a lot less trouble with mossies as the rainy season is coming to an end.
Didn't do any trips as we have been here a few times before and done most of them.
We did have quite a few massages but not at the hotel if you go down to Playa Carmen they are half the price to the hotel. We used Veronicas as recommended on trip adviser - massages were really good and amazing value 55-60 USD for 2.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We have stayed at quite a few all-inclusive resorts, in this area and up and down the Mayan Riviera. It was our first time at a RIU, having favored the Iberostars mainly. We were here with a very large group of 30-35 for a destination wedding (our son), mainly 20-30 years in age with a few of us older ones.
We loved the resort mainly because it was the perfect size and easy to walk to the lobby or back to the pool without having to take a tram or pack a day's rations.
The wedding was perfect, the attentiveness and details were outstanding. It was beautifully done and the dinner reception with the ocean backdrop was as gorgeous as the bride and groom. Of course, the couple and the attendants themselves made the wedding, but our fantastic memories are so many. People lined up to watch the nuptials. But many people stopped to congratulate them and offer their best wishes, compliments and copies of the pictures they had taken.
We met so many wonderful and friendly people and having the right-sized resort made it feel more like a family reunion. You begin to recognize everyone after several days and get to know all the great people from around the world that flew long hours to get there.
We made our own entertainment as a group but we did also enjoy the evening shows. The entertainment staff and dancers worked very hard to please. There weren't any audience participation shows that we saw like many of the resorts have, but their were talented dancers. Obama was a very engaging and very dedicated behind the scenes person who quickly became my favorite. He lacked the self-absorption of a few but yet was humbly responsible for much.
We loved Obama, Lester, Christian, Jonathon and yes, even over-the-top Rigo Bob (oh MY God!) to name a few. The bartenders were hard-working and friendly and always had a smile while even wearing a jacket and tie, specially Eduardo. Drinks were fun (Paradise, Miami Vice), plentiful and tasty.
The staff in general was very hard-working and tried to please. The maids were efficient and the room always stocked. Every employee smiled and greeted you and made you feel welcome and wanted.
We had an incident of the disco being promised for the wedding by someone who said they were in charge(shame on you Elvis and in front of witnesses!), only to find out later he was not and so it was a disappointment. But that was an ego problem of the employee, not the hotel and the fact we did not go to the REAL person in charge led to that dispute. Had we not been misled I am sure it could have been handled in time. The front desk staff, hospitality and managers always aimed to please, even with our rowdy group and we appreciated that. We also had an incident at the Riu Tequila disco with a bartender (who was too overwhelmed to handle that large of a crowd in that very overcrowded disco) so that was disappointing but was limited to that hotel so we just did not go back there. It would have been nice had the Yucatan had their disco open as we were led to believe, so that you didn't have to walk back and forth but maybe they can rectify that for future use. I am sure if they had a younger crowd regularly they will realize that need. We got to use it just one night and it was so much fun!
The suite was very roomy and clean. We had requested bed toppers (thanks to a tip from a tripadvisor review) and that made the beds very comfortable. We were up so late enjoying the company, shows and the ocean breezes, we always fell asleep immediately anyway. Although the in-room liquor is nice, it was not needed for us and I would have preferred a coffeemaker instead. First thing in the morning, that would have been so delightful.
Any other complaints I had were due to things that could not be changed and most likely found at any of the resorts. As others have said, the mustiness of the towels and room was an inconvenience, but nothing seemed to dry out easily with the humidity. The mosquitoes were the biggest annoyance, and we took 4 cans of spray, returning with none. But we have run into that at all of the resorts we stayed at, Cozumel had the worst. The heat took some getting used to as even though Texas has heat and humidity, this was pretty oppressive. It just made me move at a slower pace, which was okay by me. The lobby had them the most, since there was very little air movement, but if you went down to the beach bars for the show it wasn't bad at all. Plus the breeze and views were so beautiful it was the place to be anyway!
We hardly used the pool at all since we can do that anytime at home so the beach was our hangout. The sand was nice and not too hot and the water the perfect temperature. We never had trouble finding a chair and shade if we needed it. The view of Cozumel was incredible and so very relaxing to just watch the waves roll in and out. There was an occasional afternoon shower that was so brief and cooling it was welcome.
Having a large group, the buffets made every breakfast, lunch & evening meal easy to handle. Some people went into town and did their own dinner at Parilla or Blue Lobster along with shopping, but the cheap taxi and quick ride made that easy. Even with picky eaters no one went hungry.
The size of the resort made it easy to always know where people in the group were and so it was easy to connect. We were grouped closely in several buildings for the rooms which was very handy. With so many arriving and departing at different times and on different days, we had no trouble getting everyone together.
It was a very laid-back feel to this resort and different than the younger crowd at the Tequila. This was a perfect fit for our needs and our group.
The wildlife watching was so fun. My son and his new bride had a monkey tap on their glass balcony door while they were watching TV and so they went out and played on the balcony with her and fed her fruit. She was a little one who enjoyed the play like a kitten. We have some wonderful pictures of that and memories to go with them. How often does that happen?
Several in the group used the spa and beauty services which were all good. Massages were very good and needed. The fitness center was well-stocked for those who were still disciplined enough to use it. I never made it that far myself, I was in a low-key mode and the walking to and from the room to the beach to the buffet was enough for me.
After 8 days we reluctantly came home. But I would go back again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet getaway, family gathering or destination wedding. Get that disco ready Obama!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!