We booked a one week family holiday here back in October with Thomson. Everything ran smoothly from start to finish from checking in at East Midlands airport to landing back in the UK (albeit a little jetlagged). The planes we flew on didn't have great entertainment systems (you could hardly hear as the volume seemed to stuck on low) but I believe new 787s are coming in next year. In the meantime take your iPod.
The staff at the Riu Yucatan are the best I have come across at any resort I have stayed in. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they always have a smile and a 'hola' for you. My sister turned 30 while we there and they decorated her room and sang happy birthday in Spanish which really made the day special.
The hotel is kept immaculately clean throughout and I'm sure it'll look even better once the refurb is finished next year. Yes the rooms are a little dated but who cares when you have a sea and beach like that on your doorstep. We had an email about the 'internal refurbishments' at the hotel next door before we left. It turns out they're pretty much stripping everything out including balcony doors, balustrades etc. We we're facing the building works but it didn't bother us at all.
The entertainment staff were great and full of energy. I don't understand why people complain when they aren't forced to sit through it in the evenings. Go to Playa Del Carmen town if you want a bit of variety.
Don't book trips through Thomson as they inflate the price of them. If you do go on any trips be careful as the natives will try and hook you in to buying pricey extras. We went to the beach at Tulum which was absolutely amazing.
The food in the hotel was much better quality than we were expecting and didn't get boring once during the week we were there.
All in all a fantastic holiday which I would definitely recommend to anyone considering Mexico for their next trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico