“As good as ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Yucatan to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Yucatan
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 1, Condominio Playacar | Playa Del Carmen - Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #68 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
London
“As good as ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

5 visits in 10 years and still as good as ever.

All positive, no negative. Great quality, geat service.

Thankyou RIU Yucatan.

When you refurbish next year, please do not change too much and maintain the atmosphere that keeps us coming back.

Room Tip: We were in block 5 and didn't hear any noise from construction in next complex.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

2,889 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Polish first
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My 2 girlfriends and I stayed at the Riu Yucatan last Feb 2012 for 9 nights. It has taken me this long to actually put my review up, but I really wanted to warn people about the Riu Yucatan and the Riu in general. We are all in our 40’s, happily married and vacation frequently with and without our spouses. They could not make this trip due to work. I have stayed in Playacar 10 times usually staying at the Iberostar chains. We decided to stay at the Riu Yucatan because after a lot of research we found they do not use latex in the kitchen or housekeeping, as my friend has a deadly latex allergy. We had a great time up until the last day. The hotel was clean and the food was good. The beach is perfect and the pool was also great and very big. The entertainment team was fun and not pushy at all. Daniel was fun and always had a smile on his face and friendly to everyone. We had a problem with one of the entertainment guys when we took the hotel excursion to Coco Bongos in Playa del Carmen. He showed up at Coco Bongos after his shift at the hotel. He was not with our group, but hung around and got very drunk and obnoxious. He proceeded to tell us how he resents the guests at the hotel and and hates always having to be nice to people. He made it clear to our group that he was on his night off and not being nice, so don’t try talking to him.
So, back to the last day/night. We were having a good time at the beach party and pool games. Around 4pm, I realized I needed to have a nap before dinner, as I had been having some extra cocktails and feeling the effects being in the sun all day. My girlfriends walked me back to our room, tucked me into bed and left the room to go back to the beach to get all our beach stuff and hand in the towels since we were leaving at 8am the next morning. The next thing I knew, I woke up and the male maid was over top of me, and I was being sexually assaulted. I screamed, he backed up and started speaking in Spanish and then ran out of the room. Our room was his last room to clean that day, and he must have been in the hall when my friends walked me back. Needless to say, I was in shock, alternating between crying and screaming. My friends came back into the room approx 15 minutes later and found me in that state. My one friend ran out and tried to get help. She came back with a security guard who spoke no English, so she left again and came back with the Riu director, Julian Joubert, and the head of security. My friends thought they were downplaying the whole incident and were not taking us seriously. Mr. Joubert spoke very good english, so its not like they couldn't understand us. They refused to call the police, saying we needed to take a taxi to the police station ourselves and file a report. I told them that it was our male maid who did this to me. We could not believe they would not call the police or offer any kind of assistance. Here I was, curled up into a ball on the bed crying, having just woke up to our maid sexually assaulting me and they were telling us we needed to take a cab to the police station. About 25 minutes later, we were in a cab to the police station in Playa del Carmen. No representative from the hotel came with us to act as an interpreter or offer any assistance at all. We were taken to the Tourista police station in downtown Playa. I filled out a form stating what happened and the woman behind the desk told us we needed to go to the Ministerio Publico, another police station we were told, but it was actually the prosecutor’s office. It is here where I would have to fill out a report to see if there was actually a ‘crime’ committed and have a ‘medical exam’.
Long story shortened, we were at the Ministerio Publico for over 3 hours and could not get an official report filed. They had an officer come in who was to act as an interpreter who unofficially wrote out in Spanish exactly what happened. By this time, and getting the run around we left without filling out an official police report. We were treated terrible by the staff there, IGNORED. The police officer was kind and could not help us with what we needed to do.He was not what we would consider an interpretor, he spoke broken english. At one time a man came in who was very shady looking and stated he was ‘the doctor’ and needed to do an exam on me. We really didn’t know what was going on as we had no guidance. In hindsight, we should have called the Canadian consulate who would have guided me through the entire legal process. (I found this out after I got home and contacted the foreign affairs department in Ottawa.)
The next morning at 8am, before we left the resort, we met with the director of the Riu Yucatan, Mr. Julian Joubert, in his office. We again went over what happened and and he asked us if we wanted to ID the maid, as they had him in the head of security’s office. I agreed. He was escorted to the office and absolutely, I identified him as the man who sexually assaulted me and he was our room maid. Mr. Joubert assured me he would be in contact with me over the next few days to let me know the process of the charges. He also told me the only person who would have had a key to our room was him, the maid and the housekeeping supervisor, which was a woman. The Riu still uses big keys instead of swipe cards.
After I went home, I tried multiple times to contact Mr. Joubert, but he would not answer any of my emails or calls. I did receive an email from the Riu head office in Spain, after many many emails, basically saying it was my word against his, and I had to prove the accusations and they could not believe one of their employees would do such a thing. I was also in regular contact with the foreign affairs dept. in Ottawa. Although, they were very nice, they could not legally do anything. They sent me a list of lawyers in Playa del Carmen and Cancun but I could not afford to hire a lawyer here, let alone in Mexico. He said I could press charges but would need a Mexican lawyer. The Canadian consulate in Playa del Carmen even got involved and went to the Ministerio Publico to get a copy of the translated facts of what happened. They had no record of me or what happened. The Riu would not tell me if he was still working there. They told me since I did not lay any charges against him that they could not do anything. So I believe he is still there.
I finally wrote this review because I think it’s important to be aware, even on vacation. Mexico, especially Playa, was my paradise, a place to and relax and recharge. I thought I would be safe in the comfort of my own room…how wrong was I. Before ANY vacation, you should have the phone number and address of your country’s consulate in the city you are visiting. Had I know that ahead of time, this person might be behind bars now. I really do hope that he is not working in any hotel. As for compensation,( after signing my life away,) giving me back my “land portion” of my vacation, in my opinion is a slap in the face. They did first offer me a 9 night stay in any Riu, (if I signed a release of liability), but NO WAY would I stay in another Riu.
I would NEVER return to the Riu Yucatan, or ANY other Riu. To this day, I am still trying to deal with what happened to me, and the Riu could care less. For the big company that Riu is, they're customer service is horrible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
L'Ile-Perrot, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Riu Playacar is probably the most affordable of the Riu`s at Playacar. But very pleasant with his Botanical type site, in some places on the site you feel like being in a tropical forest. I loved this type of relaxing environment. The beach is very nice and not only at the Hotel front but from Del Carmen up to the last hotel of Playacar and even more where you can walk far away in a very wild beach with always the sound of the wave splashing on your feet.....a real little Paradise to whom like simply to feel the Nature all around.
The people on site are all very pleasant and friendly, great staff making the sejour unforgetable.

Room Tip: In the middle of the site you are at mid point between the Buffet and at the other end the beach and...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Now been to this Hotel for the past 8 years. Each year we meet up with other holidaymakers who return year after year. The service, friendliness of the staff, cleanliness, situation of the hotel, food and drink are all superb. Sparkling white beach yards from the hotel and the sea beautiful turquoise and warm. Bit of a wait usually on the return journey at Cancun airport but that is mainly due to holidaymakers who have not listened to checking-in instructions! Can't wait for next year !

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms can be quieter as but the downside is walking up the stairs after a night at the bar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Riu reigns over Playacar. Been to three different Riu's in playacar over the last 4 years and again left with fantastic memories. The staff as always was great and amazingly friendly that even after 2 weeks still would stay for another two. The food was really good and the drinks always perfect and tastefull. The rooms are big and very well stocked and maintained.

This hotel in built throughout the nature and beautiful trees and flowers are everywhere plus a big group of fun monkeys and coatis that entertain visitors that unfortunetaly keep feeding these WILD animals which is not doing them any favors if you want my humble opinion. Look but do not feed like the sign says.

Ala carte was good but not equal to the quality of the sister hotel Palace r.maya.
Service was really nice and the overall experience more than acceptable.

The beach is just fantastic. Very wide and deep with tons of loungers and white sand.For people who appreciate a good beach, this one will be one to remember one for the books. Few hotels , all spread out , and a short walk into Playa del Carmen.

I would recommend this resort to people who are looking for a good time and amazing beach.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I have not been to Playa in ten years but have been a few times. The Cancun airport and customs is greatly improved and the wait was minimal, as is the ride into the resort area as a new highway has been built getting you there faster and not through the depressed areas of Playa. Cheack in was swift and we were in our rooms within 30 min.
I dont understand all the complaints i keep hearing in the reviews. Hard beds? I slept like a baby. The resorts in need of a refurbishment? Really people, are you for kidding? It was beautiful and well maintained with the staff continually cleaning. The lobby furniture was shabby and worn? Wow, i dont know about you but i spent my time at the pool and on the beach not in the lobby. The food was awful? The food was fine, you are at a beach resort not San Fransisco. Dont listen to these people, some people will complain about everything we all know that.
I will agree with some reviews though. The staff is typically Mexican, friendly helpful upbeat. Especially the entertainment staff who are the heartbeat of the resort. The bugbites are for real, take spray and use it often even when going to bed, im still itching. Nighlife is a little slow with a show every night and things seem to down afterwards but after sitting in the sun all day having cocktails with my girlfriend and being in our 40s we we generally smoked after that.
You do have the typical guests who set out their towels at 7 in the morning reserving ten poolside chairs (while using maybe six). During our stay (Oct 20th-28th) it was a clan of Brits who spent their pool time thinking it was their own private pool throwing each other in the pool getting others wet and taking turns whipping a volleyball at each others heads at top speed caring less who it hit when they missed in between hooting and yelling. Being there with my girlfriend and in love it did not bother me as much as i make it sound but you could see it bugging other people.
My only other observation and this is more of an observation than a complaint as our focus was to spend time alone as a couple was the people. Beiing American we met hardly any other Americans, this resort was 90 percent Europeans (Britts, Germans, French, Spanish). The Europeans are not openly hostile by any means nor do they even look at you with disdain as that would mean they would be acknowledging your existance. By that i mean you could be standing in line for food and they will walk into you then glare because you did not step aside. Or the same people you have sat beside at the pool for 8 days cant be bothered to even say hello at dinner. I mean, i dont need to hear your life story or be pen pals or anything but you can exchange a greeting. Maybe its just a cultural thing. So if your fine if you like just keeping to yourselves like us but dont be American thinking thinking you will make friends and hang with people.
All and all an amazing trip and would go again.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray its a must. Also bring your own beverage container that will keep things cool as the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This was our first trip to Mexico. Weather was fantastic! We flew Sunwing out of Toronto. No issues with the flight. Cancun Airport was problem free. Shuttle from airport to resort located in Playacar was also problem free.

The resort is located in a gated community. The entire resort is kept very clean and manicured. The resort staff are all wonderful. Everyone of them worked very hard each day to ensure your every need was met.

Rooms are nice and kept very clean each day. We stayed in rooms 5310 and 5304. These rooms are close to the beach, pool and entertainment stage. You could hear the shows from our room but it didn't bother us.

Entertainment team worked very hard each day. Volleyball, darts, Bocci, dancing lessons and other fun games all day long.

We never met any rude staff. Always a big smile and an "HOLA"

Food was great and always a good variety. Beach was awesome, pool was also very clean and warm.

We went into Playa Del Carmen. We walked the road in and then walked the beach back. It will take you 30 minutes either way. We also went in to town at night to the Wa-lmart and then to 5th ave. We never felt unsafe the entire time we were in Mexico. Plenty of cabs around. 70 pesos to town.

The only complaint I have is the rude guests that bud in front of you to get drinks. RELAX! You are on vacation so wait your turn.

Loved seeing the Howler Monkeys and other wildlife

Bring a BUBBA so you don't have to go to the bar 50 times to fill a small plastic cup.

We are looking forward to going back to the RIU Yucatan resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!