I have not been to Playa in ten years but have been a few times. The Cancun airport and customs is greatly improved and the wait was minimal, as is the ride into the resort area as a new highway has been built getting you there faster and not through the depressed areas of Playa. Cheack in was swift and we were in our rooms within 30 min.
I dont understand all the complaints i keep hearing in the reviews. Hard beds? I slept like a baby. The resorts in need of a refurbishment? Really people, are you for kidding? It was beautiful and well maintained with the staff continually cleaning. The lobby furniture was shabby and worn? Wow, i dont know about you but i spent my time at the pool and on the beach not in the lobby. The food was awful? The food was fine, you are at a beach resort not San Fransisco. Dont listen to these people, some people will complain about everything we all know that.
I will agree with some reviews though. The staff is typically Mexican, friendly helpful upbeat. Especially the entertainment staff who are the heartbeat of the resort. The bugbites are for real, take spray and use it often even when going to bed, im still itching. Nighlife is a little slow with a show every night and things seem to down afterwards but after sitting in the sun all day having cocktails with my girlfriend and being in our 40s we we generally smoked after that.
You do have the typical guests who set out their towels at 7 in the morning reserving ten poolside chairs (while using maybe six). During our stay (Oct 20th-28th) it was a clan of Brits who spent their pool time thinking it was their own private pool throwing each other in the pool getting others wet and taking turns whipping a volleyball at each others heads at top speed caring less who it hit when they missed in between hooting and yelling. Being there with my girlfriend and in love it did not bother me as much as i make it sound but you could see it bugging other people.
My only other observation and this is more of an observation than a complaint as our focus was to spend time alone as a couple was the people. Beiing American we met hardly any other Americans, this resort was 90 percent Europeans (Britts, Germans, French, Spanish). The Europeans are not openly hostile by any means nor do they even look at you with disdain as that would mean they would be acknowledging your existance. By that i mean you could be standing in line for food and they will walk into you then glare because you did not step aside. Or the same people you have sat beside at the pool for 8 days cant be bothered to even say hello at dinner. I mean, i dont need to hear your life story or be pen pals or anything but you can exchange a greeting. Maybe its just a cultural thing. So if your fine if you like just keeping to yourselves like us but dont be American thinking thinking you will make friends and hang with people.
All and all an amazing trip and would go again.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. from various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.