“Best getaway ever!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Yucatan to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Yucatan
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xaman-Ha, Manzana 3, Lote 1, Condominio Playacar | Playa Del Carmen - Quintana Roo, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #70 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Buffalo, New York
“Best getaway ever!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just want to comment on all the bad reviews not to sure what they were looking for in a hotel but for the money the hotel was fantastic we only stay at RIU and this was the best yet, we stayed at the place last time it was so blah blah. The pool was great had two side with bars at each and one side had music the other none. The beach was the best my husband not so much a beach person till this trip he loved it!!!! The staff i dont even know where to start they were the best ever ISREIAl was the best bar tender ever the entertainment WOW!!!! Please dont listen to all the downers it is a great hotel for a great price, we want to book again after the do their remodel in April LOVE THIS HOTEL AND STAFF Thanks for making a great trip.
Kelly from Buffalo!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

2,859 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

i am a frequent holiday go'er where i have been places like la, hawaii, australia and florida but mexico was the best by far!
hotel is friendly, clean and theres always something to do!
food quality is great! theres such a massive variety thats theres something for everyone.
well worth the money your paying!!!
will be going back every year!

loved it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
sunny dunny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

In the Thomson brochure it says that this hotel is a Platinum standard hotel. Sorry Thomson's it's not. We have stayed at a few Platinum hotels with Thomson's but this was no where near the standard. Sitting at the pool side was VERY NOISY you could't hear anything but loud music every morning starting at 10am. It was more like 18 to 30 poolside activities. Also the hotel next door was being renovated all you heard was drilling all day. One couple that arrived the same day moved THREE times to get a quieter room,Thomson's never mentioned this before departure. The food was average nothing special. Rooms were okay, Teo who was our maid was great, had different towel animals everyday. At night the hotel was also very noisy not a quiet area to have a drink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Actually stayed here April 2010 with my daughter who was 16 at the time. My main concern was how the Mexican men were gonna treat her but I had no worries whatsoever. Not sleazy at all. They were polite in and out of the hotel. I felt safe walking out of complex and took a trip to Cozumel and hired a moped to visit the many secluded beaches. Stop at coconuts bar/cafe. Don't 4get 2 take a bra 2 hang on there ceiling along with the others. Back to hotel :) we had a choice of restaurants in the hotel and couldn't fault any of them. Steak restaurant I'm sure you could only book once a week though. The entertainment was good and even better after the all inclusive cocktails. Playa del carmen where the nightlife is is 3 mins in a taxi and cost bout £3. We were there only 7nights but packed in swimming with dolphins a speed bout and snorkelling trip and the day trip to Cozumel. Will definitely return one day. Happy holidays.

• Stayed April 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We really enjoyed this resort. I have read many reviews complaining about the rooms and the beds. I have heard they are refurbishing this resort in a April 2013 so they should be updating these thing Going into the trip we were not too worried about the rooms because we were going on a beach vacation. The idea of a beach vacation is to spend time on the beach and in the pool, not in the room.

The resort is a little tired I would imagine that is the reason for the renovations. This resort has a fantastic beach and a world class staff. Everything from check in on was an absolute breeze when it came to dealing with the staff. We requested an early check in and were taken care of without a problem. Lupita helped us at check in and she was fantastic.

The food at the buffets was acceptable some things were even good. Breakfast and lunch are done buffet style. Breakfast in one facility near the lobby. Lunch is done in the same location and also at another location near the pool and beach. There is a dinner buffet at the main restaurant near the lobby. There are also three a la carte restaurants. We ate at two the Mexican and the Steakhouse. Both were very, very good with excellent service. The a la cartes had to be booked in the morning after 7 am in the main restaurant. We had no problem making reservations.

Beach and Pools
The beach is fabulous!!! There are 2 pools a loud one and a quiet one each one has a swim up bar. Beatriz was the bartender at the swim up bar in the quiet pool and she is a world class bartender and an even nicer person. We never waited more than a few moments for a drink even when she was very busy which she was often. Beatriz is indeed a credit to this the Riu Yucatan and the Riu brand.

Cleanliness

We stayed in room 1320. The housekeeping staff were fantastic and cleaned our room from top to bottom every day. We kept unusual hours and they were never bothered to come back and clean our room at a different time every day.

Entertainment and Activities

The activity staff was great. They got everyone involved as much as you wanted to be. The shows at night were very entertaining. I give the activity staff a ton of credit as they seem to work long hours always with a ton of energy and a smile on their face. I did not meet them all but I can tell you Genny and Efraim were really, really great.

This may not be a 5 star resort, but for me you are staying at a 5 star beach and you are being taken care of by a 5 star staff. I believe the staff adds 1 star and the beach adds 1 star.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed at the Riu Yucatan for two weeks. Not the best Riu I have been to, but the staff were good, Went on a few trips this is where you have to beware. We went to Chitinitsa (not spelt right) with Thompsons travel. The courier was a nasty bloke who gave us all a bottle of Maya liquer the whole coach thought it was a gift and said what a nice bloke he was. Then 10 minutes later he told us this small bottle would cost us £12.00 English money (250 pesos). OK we had a choice to give it back, but for many of us it was a memory and we kept it. Towards the end of the trip he told us how great he and his co pilot were and how much he thought he was worth in tips (very intimidating). I found this on several trips we went on and I thought this was wrong. You tip for service not because you are told to do so and how much by the courier. The trips cost almost £100.00 per person which I found was enough any way. I have written to Thompsons and hopefully they will try and correct this.

The Riu Yucatan was a lovely setting, sand and sea was georgeous, the intimidating trips spoilt it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Me and my boyfriend went to this hotel in march 2012. We where meant to go to the riu cancun but the holiday rep failed to mention to us that it was 'spring break' so we where told we had to pay an extra £800 to change hotels but my boyfriend pleaded to explained we where going to another riu so the company won't be missing out and we where on the same flight. So we had to pay an extra £50 to change hotels to the yucatan. So our holiday cost more than anyone else would pay for a 2 week all inclusive in this dump. When we arrived the hotel receptionist was explaining everything about the hotel to everyone off our coach, handing out the room keys etc... It's a shame because we couldn't hear a thing. Our block was the one right by the entertainment theatre. Ground floor. When entering the room we were very disappointed. Very basic. Mattress hard. Nothing to the room! But we decided to make the most of it. But it became worse. When the cleaners cleaned the room they would open the patio doors... Wide open to Mosquitos. Some cleaners would leave the patio door unlocked. The mosquito guard on the door was useless because they got in through it anyway. And about four occasions our room was not cleaned up 4pm! We where disgusted. Even if we left a tag on the front of the door saying 'please clean our room' the optics (which we never used) where in the bathroom!!! The safe was useless. The hairdryer in the bathroom was very good, except... After a minute or so it used to turn itself off and the whole power in the room. My boyfriend went to the receptionist to ask someone to come and fix it and she statd that it was common situation within the hotel. Every person I asked who we got talkin to said this didn't happen in their room. The location of the room was right by the market stalls. Now the food... Repetitive, tasteless and they changed the buffet in our 2nd week for the worst. The three 'restaurants' where useless. Can't believe the hotel is known for being all inclusive and they give u set menus. The entertainment was like butlins in the 80s. The staff where like coco bongo rejects. They dragged my boyfriend onto the stage after repeated declining. They asked me and I screamed no at them. But... The location of the hotel was amazing, beach was gorgeous. I can't believe we had to get up early for a sunbed in the shade. The only problem I had with th beach was that there was no umbrellas for shade. But it was gorgeous and a lovely breeze all the time. Like I said me and my boyfriend made the most of the holiday and had a great time. We swam with dolphins and went to coco bongo. Just the things I listed annoyed us. We will not return this hotel but one day return to Mexico. Riu hotels are just for people who like to drink all day long and because they are that drunk don't notice these things.

Room Tip: Don't have a room on the ground floor because people could look in.