“Good! For the Price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya

You added Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya to your Saves list
Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Av. 10 Norte esq. Calle 30 Norte, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #46 of 138 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good! For the Price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

I won't repeat all of the great comments about the cleanliness and how wonderful the staff is - it is all so really true, though! We got a great deal, so we knew there would be some downsides, but nothing horrible- just know the "luxuries" you may give up, though (I still cannot IMAGINE why ANYONE would ever stay in an all-inclusive in Playa!!?? Why bother going if you are not going to experience all the great restaurants?!) Anyway - so there are some downsides that people should keep in mind -- when reviewers say the street the hotel faces is LOUD, they are NOT JOKING. I forgot how much I appreciate quiet or "beach noise" (or even just "people noise"!) on a beach vacation - esp. during siesta or in the morning drinking coffee, etc. .. this is a loud, busy street with lots of cars and trucks with no mufflers, bad engines, loud gear changing. . . And don't get me started on the soccer field across the street - there were marching bands and cheering fans so loud! No joke!! Go team! But man, during siesta?! It ended up being funny - every time I tried to nap, the drums started playing or a car exploded! And, yes, our door was closed, but it sounded like the marching band was in our bathroom! So we were used to having street noise on trips to big cities (London, Paris, etc) - but I didn't realize how much I would miss the quiet on a relaxing beach vacation. So just drink enough tequila and the noise and hard beds will be fine!! Also, if you have two women (or some very metrosexual men) trying to get ready at night, it is a TIGHT squeeze to figure out drying hair, makeup, brushing teeth, etc - there is only one small mirror, everything is all by the shower area/closet area/tight hallway . . .we were bumping into each other A LOT (luckily though we are so naturally beautiful, we don't need a lot of primping! haha). But overall, $750 pp for 8 nights, hotel and airfare, was great, so these things were minor. The location is awesome -- the beach is the best - with great people watching. There are so many fun things to do - Playa is my favorite! I want to live there! The issues with the hotel are things the staff cannot control - everything they can do, they do it well. I just wish those dang marching bands and automobiles would shut up!!! And give me another mirror and a feather bed! haha.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

I took my family here over Spring Break. We had a suite on the 3d floor and then a small room on the first next to the pool. This was our first attempt to escape the "all inclusives" and we were pleased with every aspect of the Caribe Maya. Both rooms were always very clean. Our teens enjoyed the clean and well maintained pool, which was a good escape from the beach crowd. There is a community track and tennis courts across the street. We watched a couple of soccer games there one night. The owner and front desk employees were friendly and helpful but not to the extent that they imposed. All of them, from owner to maids to clerks were friendly, hard working people.
This hotel is on a quieter end of the strip, which we enjoyed. We learned that some of the better restaurants were down on this end of 5th. Within 1/2 block there was a Babes (Thai), a hookah bar, a sushi bar, and an excellent cigar shop with humidor. I strongly recommend Babes. Low prices, fed a group of 6 with drinks and appy's for less than $60 USD, and the food was superb.
My wife and I are not easily impressed, and probably a little demanding as to cleanliness and service. And I can tell you that this place is the best. Book it before the masses beat you to it!

Pipe Creek, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

We just got back from Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel and had a great time. We spent 3 nights (4/5-4/8) at Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya and were very pleased. The place was very clean and the front desk staff always there to help.
The rooms were simple but neat and the pool view was nice.
There is a street running in front of the hotel that can be very noisy even late at night but after running around all day its easy to sleep through it. the A/C was very nice and cold!
One problem was the mosquitos. We had consiered bringing our baby and changed our minds at the last minet so they had the crib already in our room when we arrived (sniff). Once we saw all the mosquitos in the room and on the crib we were glad she wasn't with us. Our room was on the ground floor so maybe that was why. When the maid cleaned the rooms they leave the doors wide open and since the halls and walk ways are open to the outside the mosquitos get in. They were not as bad the second and third day so possably they only leave the doors open for the intial clean up before new guests arrive. Ave 5 is not far away and this is where all the shopping/food is. If you are wanting to eat cheap some of the time there are some places called pizza/pizzia along ave 5 that we got 2 slices of pizza and two cokes for $5 total. Every other place was quite expensive. $12 a plate for fajitas was a bargin. We ate one night at Los Rancheros and the bill was $50! The plate we bought was $32 for two people and we had a total of 4 cokes.
You can see the water from the resturant or at least till the hotel in the fron finishes construction.

Over all it was a great deal for the money.
Robin

• Stayed April 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2006

We spend 11 nights at the Riviera Caribe Maya in March and loved it. Short walk to the beach (and from what I could see, the best part of the beach), quiet end of town, just around the corner from 5th Avenue, nice helpful staff, beautiful pool, clean, great coffee and the best orange juice! We are so happy we did the trip this way and not an all-inclusive resort.
10th Ave is a busy street and a bit noisy in the day and during breakfast but I would still return given all the positives. The continental breakfast can be added to very cheaply - ask for a menu, as it wasn't offered to us so we just asked for what we wanted (eggs or fruit for $3 u.s.) We had a standard plus room on the ground floor where we could walk out to the pool, which was wonderful. Room had a safe, fridge, fan, ac, small tv. The room could have used a second mirror as the sink/closet/bathroom area was a bit cramped when 2 people are getting ready to go out. Free internet in the lobby.
Head to Walmart, yes there is a Walmart and stock up on booze, water, pop, fruit, Mexican pastries and just about everything else. Taxi back to the hotel for about $2-3 u.s.
I couldn't believe how many restraunts there were in Playa. Our favs were Babes for Thai food and Don Mario (8th St & 10th Ave)for good steak, tequila prawns, and the spagetti was great too! Being on 10th Ave, Don Mario is a bit cheaper too.
Would defintly stay at the Riviera Caribe Maya again.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

Me and my sister have just spent 2 weeks at this wonderful hotel. Its spotlessly clean, the staff are great, the pool is lovely, and its in a great location - at the quieter end of playa but near enough to walk to the busier end of town if you want. The only downside is that its on a busy road at one side, but its so great in every other way that you soon forget about that. We can't wait to return again next year.

Forest Park, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

My wife and I spent 7 nights here at the end of Feb. Room was perfect. Had a King bed (rm104) right off the pool. Staff did a great job. It's a short walk to the south end of 5th street, about 25-20 minutes all the way to the pier. The neighborhood was great. Lots of places to eat near the hotel. Right in Little Italy.

Mamitas Beach Club was a short 5 minute walk. Just right. Had a little mix up regarding the beach passes at Mamitas but it was cleared up. Check the pass situation out when you check in. Room was always very clean..had a small TV and a frig. Perfect hotel for the price. Can't beat the price $85. Breakfast included, although we always ordered an omelet from the menu for an extra 30 pesos. We will be staying here again on our next visit.

• Stayed February 2006
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

My wife and I have just returned from our first trip to the Yucatan peninsula. We spent two nights in the Riviera Caribe Maya in Playa del Carmen. The hotel is very clean and well kept. The staff were very pleasant and cordial. The pool in particular was a nice attraction, being immediately outside our room. We had both a fan and AC in the room, both of which worked well, making for comfortable accommodations.

We paid $89 USD per night which included the continental breakfast. The breakfast was nothing special -- bread, butter, jam, juice and coffee, but no different than what was provided at other hotels we stayed in around the region.

Although not located on the beach, we were within a short walking distance and were given vouchers for the nearby beach club. The voucher entitled us to free beach lounge chairs, umbrella, and towels. Everything we needed to be comfortable while at the beach.

My only issue with the hotel was how they calculated the cost of the room. I converted my dollars to pesos in order to pay for the room in cash. At a conversion rate of 10.3 pesos to the dollar I was prepared to pay approximately 1,830 pesos for my two nights. However, they demanded I pay 1,904 pesos which is the amount necessary to be converted back to the equivalent of $89 American dollars/night. It struck me as an odd way to calculate the room charge. However, I was quoted 89 USD per night and there conversion method assured them of that amount. It was still a very reasonable cost for the quality of the room, so I really shouldn't complain.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a worthy place to stay.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya? Share your experiences!