“Wedding Welcome Dinner Gone Wrong” 1 of 5 stars

10th Street & The Beach, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Website
Update restaurant details
Ranked #240 of 699 restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Buffet, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Wicky’s features spectacular beachfront location in the heart of Playa del Carmen offering breakfast, lunch and dinner specializing in Certified Angus Beef and fresh market seafood from 7am to Midnight. Join us during the day at our beach club for a fun or relaxing day overlooking the beautiful Caribbean waters from our white sandy beach or indulge in the sun from our seaside terrace or keep cool in our air-conditioned restaurant with free WiFi. Wicky's Playa del Carmen accommodates weddings, beach ceremonies, Mayan ceremonies, meetings and special events in our private VIP room, restaurant and seaside terrace for groups of 10 to 250 people.
Bentonville, AR
“Wedding Welcome Dinner Gone Wrong”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Wicky's restaurant has a nice atmosphere and beautiful view. I reserved for 20 persons as a Welcome Dinner off resort for my wedding guests. I started working with Linda around 60 days before the date. Linda was great to work with. I had read several great reviews on this place and was anxious to see it. However my expectations were a bust.

The wait staff was uninterested and unresponsive to our party. Our dinner took around 3 hours and no other guests came into Wicky's the entire time. The wait staff was plentiful and they were not busy- this wasn't a factor. They simply didn't care that we were there. I had some guests without drinks, others without food and varying times of the night. Many guests had to ask for their drinks, and ask for their orders to be taken. There was a soccer game on the TV which most of the staff was huddled around watching which obviously was important. The ticket at the end was expensive and the food was at best mediocre. I tried talking to our waiter and he commented that the problem was the individual tickets and that we didn't order from the banquet menu. He announced this to our table as well, that he heard this would be individual tickets and made it known that it could cause some issues.

I was embarrassed and had to apologize to my group over and over both during and after the dinner. It's a subject of conversation now weeks still after we all returned.

A restaurant of this proclaimed caliber should be able to handle a group of 20 with individual orders. In fact any restaurant has to be able to handle 20 guests with different tickets. No one told me this would be a problem before hand either. I sent an email to Linda who coordinated our dinner to give them a chance to respond to the casualty and this was confirmed again that it was the individual tickets. I could walk into a local Olive Garden and would have had better service....or any other chain....even McDonalds. I think this is a lame excuse and I'm not sure it's the real one. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out why they gave us such bad service. Maybe the waiter wanted a tip under the table to improve service? I'm not sure but I want to forget about this entire experience- and if you are considering going you should forget about it too.

One more thing and one of the most important. At the end of the meal, a waiter handed out review cards. Our review card was already filled out with all five star ratings of course. When we mentioned it the waiter laughed and said "I didn't do that". So I now believe that most of the reviews which are so excellent on Wicky's are a product of their own design and fake email addresses to get good publicity.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Great service at Wicky's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I rented some loungers at Wicky's for one day during our stay in PDC. The service is great and the loungers are not piled on top of each other. I had shrimp ceviche for lunch and my husband had a burger. The food was about average. The only reason I didn't give Wicky's a rating above average is the beach. The beach on this end of Playa is not as nice as on the end by Mamitas and Kool beach clubs. There is much more seaweed on this end of the beach, a bit of a smell at times, and the water is not as clear. But we did have a great time here and would come back.

Visited May 2013
playa del carmen
“Overpriced and Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I've been to Wicky's many times and when I go it's because it's the last place on the beach with available lounge chairs. The food and drinks are incredibly overpriced, and there is usually only one server working when there should be 5.

Visited April 2013
Cancun, Mexico
“Excellent food, service with reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I loved the ambiance, the beautiful view to the beach, The service is excellent and the best is the food !!!! I think it is the best restaurant in Playa del Carmen.
The salads are fantastic and the burger is the best.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fairfield,CT
“Perfect location and great foo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

11 of us had a fantastic meal here, steak, mussels, all kinds of seafood, excellent! And the most amazing Parmesan truffle fries. My 12 year old didn't like the Mac and cheese so they graciously removed it and made him a burger, didn't charge for the Mac and cheese. The staff are attentive and extremely nice. The bartender makes a mean margarita too, large ones! With the sun going down and the waves lapping, watching the Cozumel ferry come and go...it's the perfect spot. Best meal in Playa del Carmen. Closely followed by Yaxche.

• Visited April 2013