“Fabulous vacation at Occidental Allegro Playacar!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Playacar

You added Allegro Playacar to your Saves list
Allegro Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero 7, Desarrollo Playacar | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #107 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Budapest
“Fabulous vacation at Occidental Allegro Playacar!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Although we got an excellent package deal from a travel agency for two week all inclusive service and flight ticket, not just this is the only reason why we think this hotel is great value.

I was a bit concerned about the negative comments and reviews I read here. I found most of them invalid based on my two weeks holiday at this hotel.

We stayed there with my wife my 5 years old daughter and 4 friends.

HOTEL,LOCATION: 1,5 km (20 min walk, or take a taxi for a fixed 5 USD / 50 Peso one way) from the very centre of Playa del Carmen. Hotel is located in a cozy villa/rest area with nice environment, nice tropiocal plants etc. Hotel has beautiful and well maintained tropical garden with lots of plants too.

CHILDREN: I must say we were very happy with the services of kid's club, Ana took good care of our doughter they made together lots of beautiful handcrafts. Pools are great also for children, they have a swalow part wher our child could play in the water the whole day throug when she was not at the kids club.

ROOMS: This hotel is different from other hotels on the hotel line in Playacar. This was the only one which had bungalow like buildings ( 8 rooms in one building, 4 upstairs, two each side, and four downstairs. ). The interior of rooms is simple, but it had all amenities we need on holiday ( clean bathroom, TV with some English channels- but we did not really have time to watch TV, I think we did it only onec during 14 days-, fridge with complimentary mineral waters, safe, aircon, fan, coffe/tea maker,closet.)Daily cleaning, daily change of towels, what we did not really needed.The least time actually a man spends while on holiday in an all inclusive hotel is the hotel room, when we were there only with our eyes closed ( sleeping). We liked the rooms anyway. All rooms has a terrace where you have nice hanging beds to chill out in the afternoon after lunch. Some rooms might not have a view or might be at a location not too good within the hotel, do not worry, for a small tip and smile, front desk will be assisting you with changing to a nicer room as soon as they have one available.

FOOD: really excellent, despite of some previous review none of us from the party of 7 had any stomack problems, we all loved the food ( variety, taste and quality ). It is said that tap water is not drinkable, not even for washing your teeth, but I did so and did not have any problem at all. Food is very aboundant, if you want you can eat and drink nearly all day long :) . Amazing service at the poolbar, with kind staff, you can order you all inclusive coctails straight from the pool. Coctails are great!Lunch buffet is served by the pool. Dinner is at the main restaurant also great. There are two a la carte restaurants where booking is necesarry, the regular one was so good, so that we did not hassle with the booking.

ACTIVITIES:Amazing! Animation team consist of funny guys doing their best to entertain you almost the whole day. Aerobics,aquagym, salsa lessons, Spanish lessons, water volleyball, crazy game in the pool each afternoon, realy really awsome shows every ninght after dinner at the theatre ( dance shows, magician show, mini disco for kids beforehand ). We really appreciated the free sea kayaks and small sailig catamaran we could rent for free on the beach, we spent very enjoyable hours on the beautiful incredibly green sea.

SPORTS: I missed the fitness room, but did not really let it spoil my vacation, since on my everyday morning jogging I run 3 kms to a near by gym where local people do the training it was only like 2 EUR. Aerobics and aqagym is held by animation team members. Hotel has tennis court , basketball ground also. We played beach volleyball every afternoon at the neighbouring hotel's baeach.

BEACH: Sea is clean and green, sand is increadibly white.Allegro Occidental does not really have a big beach as sea has flushed away due to hurricans. It has a small beach, but if you walk 40 meters you can find a big one. To get rid of "geotubes" (big black whale looking sandbags put along the beach in order to avoid fluishing sand away) you must walk on the beach ( or kayaking - FREE ) 1,5 kms ( towards Tulum ) to the end of the hotels line, there you can really enjoy quiet deserted paradise like private beach with crystal clear water , white sand, and very few people.

INTERNET ACCESS: wifi is available in rooms and hotel lobby, even computers are provided in the lobby, but fee is very high in my opinion so we rather went to the nearby (2 min walk) Starbucks where we could have free wifi access in return for buying a hot chocolate, cake or coffee. ( After the first buy you get an access code on your bill, which you can use later too from outside the restaurant , so you don not need buy further coffees the next days, the first code is valid it seems forever :)

SPECIAL THANKS TO STAFF MEMBERS WHO MADE US HAVE A LOT OF FUN:
Ana from Kid's Club,
Stefano,Giovanni,Adan and Ariel from animation team
Jorge from front desk
Erica and Antonio from restaurant.
Kind housekeeping staff

After all, I would return and stay here again if I come back to Playa del Carmen.Thanks for the nice stay and wonderful holiday!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Polish first
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

Booked as a late deal so were a bit worried and mixed reviews caused a little concern but went with open minds and the place far and away surpassed expectations!
Luckily we had a good rep at airport who warned us (the whole mini bus) that in almost all resort hotels have some timeshare people in hotel/resort uniforms that will be overly attentive at all times but they are there to sell at the end of the day. We simply said no thanks, not interested and apart from them continually saying hi it was never an issue for us.
Check -in took 2 mins and we had a room down near the pools with a sea view which was fab. Sure the room smells musty but in that humidity and with thatched roof what else could you expect? If you want sterile ultra modern then stay at a Holiday Inn or something.
Beds were harsh but the plentiful alcohol eased that issue. 19hrs a day food and drink available so i cant believe people complain about lack of room service! As a European traveller we are used to Med countries that have low water pressure and where you cannot put paper down the toilet so its not an issue and anyway how much time you gonna spend in there before the cleaner next visits?
Staff were really friendly and helpful and sure it wasn't the liveliest place in the evenings but Playa del Carmen nightlife is only 10 mins away in a cab so location wise the hotel is spot on too.
Someone here stated the clientele to be 80% European but we found that we were in the minority with most being US or Latin American, no issue with that for us but just to set record straight that its prob a holiday time /seasonal thing if you want to stay 'amongst your own' as it were.
All in all i wish we could have stayed longer and yes i have stayed at and been unhappier in, 5+ star hotels in the past ,but went with open mind and rolled with the very very few niggles we encountered. Go and just chill out Carribbean style.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
cumbria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

absolutely rotten given four rooms in one day thomas cook says this hotel is acceptable but they would say that all they want is your money...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

I recently returned from a holiday at the Occidental (means timeshare) Allegro Playa which I was led to believe was a 4* Hotel when in fact it is a timeshare complex and certainly not 4* but somewhere between a 2/3*.

Upon arriving at Cancun the rep from Thomas Cook was nowhere to be seen and I had to find her by asking at a desk I was then directed outside to where I eventually found her. I am used to travelling on my own and finding where everything is but if I were not so independent it would be quite daunting to arrive in another country with absolutely no directions as to where to go to pick up my coach for my resort. Once on the coach no check was made to make sure everyone was on board that should be. We were all handed out a Welcome Pack which had nothing in it except information about who she was and what time the Welcome Meeting was – there is no way you could describe this as a Welcome Pack in a million years.

Arriving at the Hotel if you can describe it as such it’s really more of a timeshare complex than a Hotel. I was checked in (the rep Rosa didn’t even come into the hotel with us).

I was given a room and told the Bellboy! (Timeshare salesman) would show me to my room. Told me he had a welcome gift for me and would I meet him tomorrow so I said yes. (Don't bother going its a con) I started to unpack and found that the room was swarming with ants they were on the bed, everywhere, the floor was filthy, the covers on the chairs were stained, there was fungus and mould everywhere. I went back to reception and asked to be moved they gave me a choice of 3 rooms and I picked another one out that at least wasn’t as dirty although it had no bath and the shower that was fitted on the wall was for a person no taller that 4ft you needed to sit on the floor to have a shower without having to hold the shower in your hand (not 4*) At least it was cleaner although there was still mould and mildew in the shower and bathroom area – which is really harmful when you breathe in the spores. Bites are a whole new subject - my bed was crawling with I don’t know what, because I couldn’t actually see what was biting me every morning I woke up with bites around my ankles how do you get bitten when you are covered with bed clothes and you have a mosquito plug in the room, anyway they weren’t mosquito bites more like flees or bed bugs. It may even have been from sitting in the restaurant. Who knows? Although the maids came in every day and changed the sheets I think they just turned them upside down.

After spending the first 3 hours of my arrival running around I found the restaurant where I sorted myself out and figured out what the process was regarding meals. I had calamari and salad for dinner. Within an hour I found myself sitting on the toilet feeling extremely unwell thank god for all the medicines I had brought with me. I unpacked yet again and went to sleep.

Next morning I felt fine but decided not to eat the fish anymore and stick to food that I could see exactly what I was eating.

Breakfast was good until I saw the cats walking around the restaurant, and insects walking along the glass shelves above the food after seeing this I always had an omelette which was made fresh in front of you and fruit or yogurts. I waited 15 mins for a waiter to offer me tea or coffee and when it arrived I wished I hadn’t bothered the hot water was tepid and then had to ask for a teaspoon to add sugar which I always had to do as well as always asking for a spoon to eat my yoghurt these utensils should be laid on the table if it were a 4* that is. This complex is just not a 4* hotel and never will be. The waiters are scruffy and dirty looking and expect tips every day if you don’t give them a tip they ignore you - just wouldn’t happen in a 4* hotel and anyway I already paid for my holiday!

Went to meet the friendly bell boy who turned out to be a Timeshare Salesman. The Timeshare salesmen and women were situated just outside the reception area behind a rectangular desk where they sat or stood, you could not walk through reception or go to breakfast or dinner without passing these people who made out you were their best friend in the world and who would not leave you alone for love nor money. It made my stay (and many many others) very uncomfortable. I go on holiday to relax and at this particular time I really needed a holiday.

Beach what beach there isn’t a beach it was washed away in 2005 when they were hit by a hurricane. This has happened all along the Playacar Beach and it is still being eroded by the sea despite the massive sandbags that have been put on the beach.

Lunch was only served in the Polynesian style hut on by the pool, cooked in a kitchen next door to the toilets which stunk and had no locks on the door. Food should have been available from 12-4pm but the snack bar always seemed to run out of the freshly cooked food by 3pm – mmm I wonder why! One plus - the pizzeria – fresh pizzas available from 12-6pm – this became my dinner they were lovely and edible.

I don’t know how they have the gall to say there are 4 bars the only bar open during the day is the pool bar and there aren’t 4 bars only 3 and the Crystal bar is only open from 6-10pm (although this isn’t open when dinner is served al fresco) There is only one other bar and that is open from 6pm – 1pm, where at 11pm snacks are available. The food is brought out in what I can only describe as giant BBQ kettles – the food whenever I tried some was always cold as was a lot of the food at lunch time. What I did notice was that it looked like they were using leftovers from the night before both for breakfast and lunch dishes of course I can't prove this.

Relaxing time sitting by the pool not a chance in hell - “you want a massage lady free 10 minutes” every day maybe 2 3 times a day. If I want a massage I’ll book one. Although I wouldn’t bother here as the Spa is a room about 12ft square. No way could you describe this as a Spa.

The pool, dirty, scum floating around on the top and all round the edges full of dead insects- broken cracked tiles everywhere, dead bird floating around in one of the outlets of the pool for 3 days before the General Manager finally did something about it and that was only because an American who owned a timeshare complained so much. I actually got bitten in the pool whilst swimming – how do you get bitten swimming in a pool?

Air Conditioning – none of the facilities have doors therefore the air con really doesn’t work the reception is so hot I really do not know how the staff work there. And of course when it rains as there isn’t a single place to sit because everything is outside you can only stay in your room, you can’t get to dinner and if you have booked the Italian or Mexican and you are late because you have to wait for the rain to stop then the snobby guy in the Italian won’t serve you!

Oh and all the rooms are linked by a locked internal door so you can hear everything being said in the room next to you including things you would rather not hear on holiday.

Oh yes and where was my rep to complain to! not in the disgusting mouldy, damp, filthy, stinking dirty room behind the stage I wonder why?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

My mother had won this trip through a radio station so this wasn’t our choice of a place to stay. This is in Playa Del Carmen which is outside of Cancun hotel district and they are trying to build this area up to attract more tourist. This hotel in particular was rated a 4star hotel by Apple Vacations but in reality it’s about a 2 and ½ star hotel.
The rooms divided into four rooms and look like one big bungalow they are small rooms. We had two full beds in our room and small closet space so if you have a lot to hang up bring some hangers from home because there are limited. There is a safe which is good. Bathroom is small but does its purpose. The towels are very rough and so are the robes they leave you. There are beach towels in the room, but you will need to trade them in for fresh ones at the towel station by the pool with the bar in it. They do clean your rooms daily and spray for bugs. Also you have a new towel character every day. You get a small porch out front with table and chairs and also a hammock. (See pictures)

The Service was great I cannot say that I have interacted with any staff member that was unpleasant. Everyone always stopped what they were doing to say hello when walking pass, and just gave us a very welcomed feeling. Just like any where you go $$ money talks so we would tip our bar $5.00 USD when we got there and got pretty good treatment for the rest of that staff’s shift. Then $1.00 USD here and there also keeps things rolling. When we ate at the restaurants we also left $5.00 USD at the end of the meal. So they are very friendly staff, but if you want extended treatment show them the money.

The food was alright, but we had only stayed 4 days 3 nights and that was enough for me. It was pretty much the same old thing every day and it was very bland in taste. Breakfast was only served in Buffett style and it was same thing every morning. Our first night we had the Mexican which you have to make reservations for and it wasn’t very Mexican the menu. They didn’t even serve Mexican rice it was white rice. My mom ordered coconut shrimp with rice in a mango sauce which was basically Chinese style sweet and sour shrimp that’s what it looked and tasted like. Just not what I had expected from a Mexican restaurant in Mexico. Our second night we had Italian (which also needs reservations) it was nothing close to being Italian. Nothing had any garlic flavor to it. The red gravy was basically watered down ketchup. No grated cheese. The alfredo sauce was water down milk. Just not very good at all. The buffet we did our last night for dinner and it was themed Italian night. It was a little better then the Italian restaurant but pretty much everything just sat out and dried up under the lights and the pasta was not even cooked all the way. So in a nutshell the food is ok to keep you full, but be prepared to be using the bathroom a lot.

The Alcohol was good like I said before if you tip good then the bar people will hook up your drink. The pool bar has some top shelf drinks, but you will have to request that you want that top shelf in your drinks. At the buffet bar there are a lot more of the top shelf drinks there so when you’re at dinner in the Italian or buffet just glance over at the bar before hand to see what they have. They do also have Corona on tap. The cappuccinos are very good.

The beach was very small and due to a very bad hurricane a while ago they had lost most of the sand on the beach so they have these sand bags that look like giant rocks. It don’t look very pretty, but the water is awesome! It was very clear and clean. No rough waves when we were there. Just very relaxing and was the best part of the trip for me. I really didn’t go to the pool at all, but they do have two one with the bar and activities and another with no bar and no activities so just to relax.

Activities they had a lot of things that were free to do everyday just would have to check your times on the board. They have a disco tech which was dead. It had a pool table in there and was pretty small but like I said no one was in there ever! They had a show every night too that was Las Vegas themed. I didn’t get a chance to see it though. You have to pay for internet. They have a hotel gift shop and just a few blocks down the road they have a small market place where you can buy gifts, etc. They also have the stand that you can get tours etc. We were only there for 4 days 3 nights so in reality we had 2 and ½ days there to spend so we did not do any tours.

**BEWARE OF THE TIMESHARE PEOPLE** Ok there will be someone who will greet you and give you a gift. They want you to buy a timeshare. They will ask you for only 90 mins of your time to show you a beautiful room and stuff that members only will receive; it takes more than 90mins and was a waste of our morning. Even though we declined they were very persuasive because they get a commission for people they sucker on to taking these tours. Basically if you have the time and money then I say go for it. Just be aware though they will waste your time. So if your stay is a short one beware!

• Stayed October 2009
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

We arrived in this hotel on 09/28/2009 and hotel stuff were very rude to us when we asked any questions. The worse customer service i had ever recived.
We stayed in moldy room and the floors were wet every day after cleanning.
The food was not good at all. Even fruits were put up next day from the day before, crazy.
On top of that all we by excident left our cashmier blanket that out 8 month son adore and when we tried to get it back they are saying that nobody found anything, yeah right, ofcourse nobody found the blanket because it is not cheap, we are just trying to get it back that is all.
Before Occidental hotel we stayed at Dreams Cancun. That is the place i will always reccomend!!!! With a greatest people and customer service. The food was wonderfull. Try there spa with Juanita she is an angel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I arrived at the hotel not knowing what to expect after all the mixed reviews we read. This resort is definately not a 5 star but has enough strong points to make it a great vacation, especially for the awesome deal we got!!

We arrived early before it was check in time and our room was already ready for us and we were able to start using the resort right away. We had originally booked a single king bed but got two double beds. I called the front desk and they said that they were booked for the night but would have a new room for us in the AM. After exploring the grounds a little, we realized that we actually had a great location (room 5702) right near the two pools, the beach, and the pool bar so we decided to drop the issue and kept the room given to us. The room was cozy but the shower could have used a little help. A couple dollars left for the the cleaning people goes a long way....everyday our room was cleaned spotless, fridge refilled with water, and beautiful towel animals on the bed. The only downfall was the pretty steep hill that we must have walked up a million times to get to dinner, lobby, other bars, and the show. We just considered it good exercise to work off all the food and alcohol we consumed!

Plumbing was an issue....it sucks! There is a sign on the bathroom wall telling you not to throw "paper" down the toilet. Yes, this means toilet paper everyone! I know this from personal experience. After a day of flushing toilet paper down there, our toilet became clogged. I called maintenece and they were there very quicky, within 5 minutes. Plunging didnt work and they asked us to leave the room so they could replace the whole toilet!

Food was pretty good. Lots to choose from at any time of the day. Breakfast and dinner are served in the buffet upstairs from the lobby and lunch is served by the pool. They even have a midnight snack from 11-1am. There are also two restaurants that require reservations....good luck! We had a reservation for each and were only a half hour late for the Italian restaurant and they wouldnt let us in and said they were booked for the rest of our trip. The next night we made our reservaton at the Mexican restaurant and it was great! They greated us at the door with a shot of sweetened tequila and the meal was excellent!

The beach has definately been shortened by the weather which is very sad because what is left of it is beautiful. White sand and crystal clear water! The sandbags kinda sucked and got in the way a little, but I understand why they are there.

The staff were great! Not one complaint in this department. Everyone is super friendly and always says hello to you as you walk past them. Meet them once and they remember you for the rest of your trip. Just to mention a coulple are Jorge from the little shop on the walk way. He isnt like the rest of the guys working the shops in Playa....he doesnt try to just get money from you. Luiz from the front desk area was a big help with some of our questions and always pointed us in the right direction. Manuel at the pool bar was a character and always remembered who we were, where we were from, and what we were drinking(again, a couple dollars goes a long way). The fun club staff were pretty good too. They organized some pretty cool activities during the day and were part of the show at night.

Overall it was a pretty good place to spend 5 days. The grounds were beautifully kept and everyone always tried their best to keep you happy while you stayed there. If your not looking for anything too spectacular and you are able to get a good deal at this place, its a pretty decent place to stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!