“Escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Playacar

You added Allegro Playacar to your Saves list
Allegro Playacar
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero 7, Desarrollo Playacar | Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #98 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Arrived on the 5th of December 2012 for a short 3 day stay. We have stayed at this location many times (8) and have yet been let down.
Our Check in went without any issues (as always) Being a member of the first club has it's advantages. Jose and his staff at the first club make us feel at home. We can't say enough about how we have been treated at this liocation.
The beds are hard but again the staff at the first club have made adjustments for us.
The food is good an we have yet to go without. I like to dive and have used the dive shop located at the resort next door, the (Royal Hideaway). It used to be at the Allegro prior to Wilma taking it away. They are very professional and I would recommend thier services.
I guess not everyone has had the experiances like we have. WE strive to always look for the positive and not dwell on the negative.
We will return to this location and not think twice in doing so.
Will

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Minnesota City, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

the staff are so pleasant; but the resort is run down--i paid extra 20.00 for myself and 20.00 for my husband for premium room--yeah--the door didn't fit the frame and they had us look at second floor room and big hole in grass roof--no way---they then gave us third room that was closer to lobby and it was fine---we could do without a toilet paper holder that didn't get replaced whole week we were there and a shower head taped and would fall down once in a while; beautiful beach, good food moist of the time; some things not always hot; and some drinks were not made right- we did have them come check out the air conditioner that rattle and they had fixed by 3 that afternoon===

Room Tip: ask to see it first--------for noise and holes and broken items, etc
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
OAllegroP, Assistant Manager at Allegro Playacar, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Mary P,

I'm sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations or ours, as it is our goal to make guests feel at home and comfortable.

I'm surprised by your comments about the guestroom as our housekeeping team works diligently to ensure rooms are ready for guests upon arrival, and maintained throughout their stay. I'm disappointed that the air conditioner disturbed you but I'm glad that you informed us as soon as possible and that our team repaired the issue quickly. I will certainly share your review with our teams to ensure rooms are properly inspected and maintained.

Your comments about our cuisine is not the norm for us, and I've discussed your feedback with our executive chef and food and beverage manager. We take all comments to heart and are always looking to improve our menus.

Thanking you for taking the time to share your review. I´ve addressed your concernes with our manager as well. We do appreciate your feedback as it help us to improve.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great for couples. Quiet and close enough but far from party crazy Cancun. 20 minute ferry to Cozumel. Lots to do including visiting various Mayan ruins. Fish charters leave the hotel beach. Playa del Carmen is a fully developed resort complex. World class golf home of Maya Coba PGA class tournament. Grounds are gorgeous - everything very private and spread out. I loved being wakened by the mourning doves and loved the giant iguanas and the coati mundi in our garden. Food is better than comparable 3.5-4 star in Jamaica or Cuba. This was actually March 2011 -- Trip Advisor should let you review 2 years back.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Vernon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a vacation at the Allegro Playacar, from Jan. 15 - 29, 2013. I read many reviews before going, many saying "great", many saying "don't go, awful". I am indecisive, as it has many good features, and some really bad features. My wife, a heavy sleeper, would go again.

Ok, the first thing, takes about 3 hours from touchdown at the airport to arrival at the resort. Many reviews mentioned a long registration and checkout process. I had a quite acceptable registration, took about 10 minutes, and checkout took about 2 minutes. But, out of the first 5 people I met at the resort, 2 of them were told upon arrival "sorry, we have no room for you". Both people were subsequently found a room, with one of them getting a superior suite for the first 3 days of their 7 day stay.

Next, the room. It is quite small, with the main bed area about 16' x 14', with an additional small area for a bathroom, and another small area for closet and sink/vanity. Initially we thought the room had not been cleaned in a year, but later realized the tile is just so old that it is permanently stained, but clean. I had read that the upper floors experienced water leaks when it rained. We talked to a gentleman who had put his hearing aid on the night table, and then it rained overnight, and yes, right on to the night table, damaging his hearing aid. We requested and got a ground level room after reading the reviews, so we avoided this problem. But, the big problem with the rooms is the total lack of sound proofing. My kids say I am deaf, but I could have had a conversation with the people in the next room. We were awakened 12 out of our 14 day vacation by the people in the room next door, between 4 am and 6 am. Another night, we were awakened by the couple above us having a shouting fight. The air conditioning works, but only for on or off. You set it to a temperature, it is either working (blowing cold air) or off; you can not control the actual temperature. Reviews had mentioned that the furniture is very old, but does that really matter? Having said that, I went to move a chair, and the handle separated, as the glue holding the 2 pieces of wood together was so old that it had dried out. I showed the problem to maintenance people, on 2 separate occasions, and asked for some glue to fix the chair. The first time the person came back with a screw and screwdriver, and I said "no, you can't do that, you'll wreck the chair, you just need glue". The 2nd time, I never did see the maintenance guy after showing him the problem. You are also awakened during the night by every person going by your room upon their arrival or departure to the resort. Also, the shower curtain did not extend past the top of the tub, so every time you had a shower, you flooded the bathroom. Try as we might, using the handheld shower head, we only managed to avoid flooding the bathroom twice. Yes, the beds are hard. We requested a topper when we booked our vacation, but still found the bed hard. I was ok with the bed, my wife woke up sore.

Next, the food. Again, I read many contradictory reviews, many saying great food, and many saying terrible. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't terrible. I was ok, with lots of variety and there was always pasta every night for those who could not find anything they liked from the theme night dishes. But finding a table was a problem. After about 5 days we found a method to avoiding this frustration. First, don't go to a table in the overflow room (room off the main dining area with no windows), as the room only had 1 waiter to service the whole room. We used this room during the first 5 days. We waited up to 20 minutes to get service, as the waiter is running ragged trying to service a room that size. Management should have at least another 2 waiters in the room. Also, the dining area to the right (over the open lobby) is available to the resort patrons, unknown to us until our 2nd week there, as on the first day there was a sign saying "only available to club members". This is incorrect, as only the very far end is restricted to club members. Recommendation, when you go into the dining area, if you don't find a table near the buffet or area over the lobby, wait there until someone leaves a table, as you get better service if you are at a table close to the waiters stations (where they have the cutlery, coffee, etc). But still, management needs to hire another waiter in the area over the lobby and 1 or 2 additional waiters in the main dining area.

The lunch buffet (by the pool) was quite good, offering a good variety and also having a grill outside, which had great hamburgers everyday, plus each day they grilled either chicken, steak or fish.

Again, I read many reviews saying the drinks were either good or bad. My wife and I thought they were fine.

The beach was nice, fine white sand. There are shade umbrellas by the beach, but forget about getting one. I went down one morning at 7 and all the chairs had towels on them, reserving the spots, with no one in sight and even though reserving isn't allowed. There are shade umbrellas just back of the beach, between the fence and the first building (units 58 and 57), where it is possible to find spots. The ocean was quite rough for the full 14 days we were there, so snorkeling was out. Ocean water was a nice temperature. I read many reviews saying the pool was cold. I guess it is all relative, as I found the pool ok. I have a pool, so am familiar with water temperatures. The resort's pools were probably in the 83 to 85 degree fahrenheit range.

Go out the front door of the resort, walk to your left and you are at the Playacar Plaza. It has a Starbucks, drug store and the usual assortment of tourist shops. Go out the front door, to your right, and a 20 minute walk brings you to Playa Del Carmen. On your way to town, there is a bird sanctuary (across the street) and 2 small Mayan ruin sites. If you walk the beach to town, it will take you about 30 minutes.

Only attended 2 evening shows. One was the fire show, the other was the dance show on the basketball court. Both were quite good.

One thing I didn't like was the fact that there is a time-share kiosk right outside the lobby (on the room side of the resort). I found it rather uncomfortable having to avoid these people every time I went into the lobby or up to the buffet.

All in all, the resort is old, but still ok. It is very beautiful, the food is fine, the pool and ocean enjoyable, the staff friendly. But, I still come back to the lack of sleep because of the lack of sound proofing in the rooms. If you are lucky and have quiet, considerate people beside and above you, or you are an extremely heavy sleeper, you will enjoy this resort.

Room Tip: Avoid the rain problem, request a ground floor room. Also, ask for a bed topper.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OAllegroP, Assistant Manager at Allegro Playacar, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Ray D,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Our goal is to always provide an exceptional stay, and it appears we have fallen short of this.

I am concerned by your comments as our rooms are usually in very good condition, and our maintenance and housekeeping team typically work diligently to ensure this. I have addressed your comments with our departments to inspect the issues you had in the room and confirm all are resolved.

I'm sorry that you didn't sleep well due the noise. We always encourage our guests to immediately inform us if they have any issue so that we can do our best to resolve it as quickly as possible. If we would have known, we would have offered you a different room to provide a more restful sleep.

In regards to the restaurants, we divide the wait staff and assign them to certain sections with the goal of attending to every single table that is occupied in our buffet. In that specific section we have two waiters. When the restaurant is full, we assign a third waiter to attend to our guest's needs. I've personally addressed each detail of your review with our food and beverage manager as we are always looking to improve our service.

I apologize for the negative experience you had with the Occidental Vacation Club. The timeshare operates separetely from the hotel, however they do business at our resort. We've discussed your comments with the director of the Occidental Vacation Club as it is important that our guests are recieving the highest level of service from our partners.

We take all feedback to heart, and hope you will give us a second chance to show you how we've improved.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I have been travelling for 20 years to sunny destinations, staying in 4 and 5 stars hotel but mainly 5 stars. We have been to the same areas many time but never have we stayed at the same hotel twice. After spending a wonderful week at Allegro Playacar during the week of January 19, 2013, we have made a decision to go back to this hotel every year. We are even going back for the first week of April 2013. Everything about this hotel is perfect .. just the right size, food is very good with a wide variety to choose from, the drinks are yummy, bedrooms are nice and cozy and bed is comfortable, the staff are very friendly, the grounds, rooms, beach, hotel are extremely clean, the beach is breathtaking, the location is perfect. I absolutely do not understand how some people can write bad reviews about this hotel, the only thing that comes to mind is that they were expecting the luxury rooms of RIU Palace but believe me when I say that luxury rooms are not what makes your vacation perfect. The rooms at this hotel have everything you need and have a warm feeling to it. With all this said, We have found our Paradise at this hotel and we will no longer be travelling anywhere other than at this hotel because this Hotel and location is perfect.

Sunshine Coast BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you are looking for a lux 5 star experience then this is not the place for you and move on to the Occidental Royal Hideaway next door. The Allegro is an older hotel, with smaller rooms, but meticulously clean. I have never had a better experience than at the Allegro Playacar. The location is perfect. a 20 minute easy walk into 5th ave, either along the beach, or along the walkway through Playacar itself. It was my first time as a solo traveler, and felt perfectly safe the entire time. In fact I did walk back from 5th ave to the hotel quite late at night alone and never felt threatened, This was my 4th time to Playa Del Carmen, and I've stayed previously at Grand Coco Bay, Luna Blue and the Grand Mayan. I usually like to stay at different places and experience them all but I would make this one my second home. The Beach is awesome always with lots of loungers. I didn't spend any time at the pool, why would you when the Caribbean is right there? Ivonne, the guest services manager went above and beyond regularly to ensure my vacation was the best it could possibly be. I don't know why she was so incredible with me but she was. One of the maitenence guys checked to make sure all the locks on doors and windows worked to my satisfaction. Lilia, my housekeeper for the week was lovely, and I like that you have the same person for the week. The entertainment staff really is mostly interested in the younger, hotter crowd, but since I'm over that kind of thing that didn't bother me at all. An improvement was, for some reason, the majority of the Breakfast waiters weren't overly attentative. When I say that I mean that I sat most mornings and waited quite awhile, or had to go ask for a cup of coffee. I work as a waitress in a very busy tourist infused restaurant, so I get customer service and can appreciate when they are just too busy but I really don't thnk this was the issue. Not a huge issue for me as I'm capable of getting up and asking for a cup of coffee. but I hadn't experienced that before and did expect a bit better service there. This wasn't the case in the evening though. Most evenings if there wasn't a table available I would go and sit at the bar next to the buffet and someone would keep and eye on me, come let me know when a table was ready, and check see if I was ready for it. Huge shout out to Ivan and Angel, who always looked after me at the bar. They work hard and alway had a smile on. The food is standard buffet fare always something good to eat. I did not eat at any of the Specialty restaurants. I upgraded to an ocean front room and that was an excellent decision! Right outside the oceanfront rooms is a little stretch of beach with palapas and about 8 loungers in each section and you were totally left alone there, The entertainment staff, or the locals on the beach selling their wares etc didn't come to this section, so if you wanted privacy and peace and quiet you had it there. Right below this is another beach section, reserved for Nolitours guests, that had a bar service waiter. Always seemed to be lots of loungers there as well.The beds are hard, but they had one of those egg carton toppers in place ready for me as I had requested so I was fine. Check out day Ivonne came to me and offered me my room till the shuttle came for me at 3 PM so I could enjoy my last day to the fullest and still have the privacy of my own room to prepare for my :( departure. Like I said prevously, I have tended to check out different places but now I plan on returning here over and over till I can afford to buy my own place in Playa!

PS I Booked a 2 tank discover scuba dive trip through the Barracuda kiosk on sight and had a great experience there as well.
One last thing. I am not a picky traveller and I firmly beleive that you get out of what you put into a holiday. Just the same as life!

Room Tip: Upgrade to oceanfront if you can unless walking the 5 minutes back to the lobby for the buffet and t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Plattsburgh, N.Y.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Nice place. Nothing too fancy, if you are looking for 5 star you will be disappointed. Our first floor room was clean, a/c was good, maid service outstanding bartenders and drinks were great. The beach was beautiful, and the grounds, including the wildlife ( and cats ). Nighttime entertainment was kind of spotty. Mexican restaurant was good, the dinner buffets were hit and miss, but there was always something to eat, although the food was just on the warm side. Poolside food was good. 2 warnings: beds are hard hard hard ask for 1 or 2 cushions. ALSO DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING with Barrakuda tours ( they have a kiosk near the pool ). They will tell you ANYTHING to get your money and not deliver. We were upsold by being told the places we wanted to go snorkling were closed but if we booked the catamaran trip with them we would get snorkling and Jib flying off the boat. They dropped us off in 4-5 foot seas where we could hardly swim, much less snorkel, and then later claimed the jib flyimg had been cancelled. The tour guides were nice, but Barrakuda definately was just out to get our money knowing we wouldn't be there long enough to complain. Book a trip elsewhere. Again, although we heard of some people complaining about water damage in their rooms, ours was nice. Stay here if you want just a decent place to stay, play and drink.

Room Tip: get mattress cushions for the beds
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!