“Mixed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Paseo Xaman-Ha | Manzana 1, Lote 1 Fracc.Playacar, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #59 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Weatherford, Texas
“Mixed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family and I go to Mexico every year and rarely do we go back to the same place. This time we did. The Sandos Playacar still had what we loved about it but one major thing changed. The Adults Only Section is a long walk from the ocean. It's about a half mile to the Meeting Place where everything happens and the ocean another quarter a mile or so. We tried to move closer but were not allowed. They say there is a golf cart to take you and there is. There is only one and it held 7 people. There are thousands in the Adult Only Section! There are also vans up at the main entrance and they held ten people. They were never around so basically you either sat and waited and hoped there was room in it (its about a 50/50 chance)or you walked it. Its a good 10 to 15 minute walk from one end to the other(which I have the blisters on my feet to prove it). Im 51 and I run 6 to 9 miles a week so it wasn't that hard I just didn't want to spend my vacation walking,

Now the good part!

The staff with the exception of the front desk was great. (shout out to Juan Guzman and Gustovo at the adult pool bar)
The food was good.
The grounds and the animals at the grounds were great!
The rooms were large and clean.
The beach was a 10. Best beach we have seen in 10 plus years of going!

To sum it up go to the Sandos Playacar but ask for a room in building one or two. More kids but waaaay less stress from walking!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

6,002 people have reviewed this hotel

2053
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We spent 5 days in the beautiful sandos playacar resort.
The room was ok, a bit outdated ,but Im fine with it, since I spent most of my time at the beach.
The food was good. A lot of different restaurants to choose from.
I would recommend "el Mediterraneo" if you are looking for tasty food.
The best time to eat was always the breakfast time, fresh fruits juices and omelette .

The beach was GORGEOUS!
Very clean, organized and with tons of activities during the day.

We really had a great time there!
I'm looking forward to going back next spring!

• Stayed June 2014
Flemington, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We just returned from a 1 week stay at Sandos Playacar. We traveled with 8 people and got 3 rooms. We loved everything about it except Check in and Check out which is a shame because the experience was so bad I don't think we would return nor would we refer this resort to anyone. Our first day we waited at the airport for 1 1/2 hours for our shuttle to the hotel which was complimentary so we got what we paid for. Taxi was only 50.00 on the way back and wish we would have done that on the way there. Once we arrived at the hotel we were informed that two of our Juniors Suites were being changed to Hotel Rooms, but were closer to the beach so that seemed ok, then we went to check into our 3rd room which should have been a 1 bedroom and even though we had a confirmation for a 1 bedroom we were told that one bedrooms were for their timeshare owners only. We were traveling through RCI. Finally after about 1 1/2 hours of researching they finally agreed that we should get a 1 bedroom, but unfortunately they did not have a one bedroom available. They said that one may come available during the week and then we could move our rooms, but they could give us a hotel room near the beach. As I stood there for almost three hours there had to be at least another dozen people who had rooms issues. Seemed like there was alot of switching going on day after day. Once couple had reserved two adjoining rooms only to find when they arrived that one room was on the 4th floor and one on the 1st floor. The husband and wife had to split up and each took one child, they were told they could give them their adjoining rooms during the week. When we reserved we were told that we were going to be given black wrist bands allowing us anywhere in the resort, of course when we got there we were given the blue wrist bands which had limiting access, after about 30 minutes they finally came back and upgraded our wrist bands. Edgar the manager did get involved and I guess tried to correct what he could(which was not much) but when I went back the next morning to switch our room he had no recollection of the day before and what he offered to do. I would strongly suggest to get everything in writing before you walk away from the front desk because they have very short term memories. My mistake but ok we got through the first day and not what we booked but how much time do you spend in your room so OK. We were on the 4th floor which although the room wasn't to bad, beware that the elevator worked only 1 time the whole week we were there, we had to carry our luggage up to the fourth floor and down from the 4th floor. So I would suggest when checking in if stairs are a problem for you that you ask for a 1st floor unit because the 2 elevators in our section were out of order the whole week which from the employees reaction was the norm. Also as others have mentioned the beds were extremely hard and very uncomfortable, we had to get a roll a way bed for my daughter and that was comfortable. I would get one just so you can get one good nights sleep. The beach was beautiful, the employees and entertainment staff was great, but the management was extremely poor. We all thought the food was fine, there were alot of choices and could usually fine something decent to eat. Drinks were plentiful...not sure if there was any alcohol in them but I think that is expected at an all inclusive.The 5 days in between check in and check out were fun. Check out another disaster, again I was traveling with 8 people. 3 of my children were leaving on an earlier flight, they had to leave at 8:45 am to catch their plane the rest of us were not leaving for another 4 hours. When my kids went up to catch their taxi they were told they couldn't leave and had to go to the front desk. When they went to the front desk they were confronted by a very arrogant Manager Carlos who told them they couldn't leave until their bill was paid. My son tried to explain to him that we(his parents) were not checking out for another 4 hours, also all the rooms were booked by me. The manager Carlos would not listen to anything they were saying and told them he was calling the Mexican Police because they would not pay their bill. They called me and I told them I would be right down and please let them go so they wouldn't miss their plane. Carlos would not allow them to leave, I got dressed and made the 10 minute walk up to the lobby at this point my kids were becoming increasing late to the airport. Carlos would not listen to a word I was saying and just kept saying I had to pay my bill. I said fine even though I wasn't checking our for another 4 hours. Then he gave me the amount, the amount he gave me was wrong and they had overcharged me. Again even though I was up there with my credit card he would not release my kids and allow the taxi driver to leave. After a few minutes of arguing over the bill Carlos the Manager again threatened to call the Mexican Police on us if I didn't pay the bill. It became increasingly obvious that Carlos was not even trying to listen or rectify the situation and I had no choice but to finally pay the amount he wanted in order for him to release my kids so they did not miss their plane. At this point I was quite upset and said this is beep beep ridiculous and Carlos turned to me and said he is calling the Mexican Police and I will be escorted off the resort. At this point I was scared, I ran back to my room and told the rest of my family to quickly pack as I wasn't sure if Carlos had in fact called the Police or not. We threw everything quickly in our suitcases, everyone got dressed and we went back up to the Lobby...Police did not show up, but I had no way of knowing that. I felt very intimated by Carlos the manager. Once up at the lobby with the rest of my family and luggage I went back up to the counter. Luckily Carlos was not there, another employee not manager Roberto helped me. I showed him my paperwork and explained how I had been overcharged. We called the RCI liaison they talked for a few minutes and then handed me the phone. The RCI liaison confirmed I was overcharged and the hotel would be issuing me a credit for the difference. Roberto then issued me the credit for the amount they overcharge me. It really was a shame because I feel the mismanagement of this hotel really holds them back from being a really great place. I know not everyone would have to go through this, but I am not sure if it would be worth the risk. I have never vacationed anywhere or have been treated with such intimation. If you don't have to deal with management your vacation will probably be good, but the risk of having to possibly deal with management would probably make me reconsider this resort.

Room Tip: There was no wifi in the rooms, only wifi was the lobby and the meeting point and not that great. Fi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Riviera Maya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

This is my first time coming to a Mexican resort and an all-inclusive and I will probably never do another type of vacation besides this! Sandos resort has been nothing but amazing. The service is wonderful, the employees are so friendly, the rooms are stunning, and the food is delicious! We have had nothing but amazing service since we've arrived and all of our servers have made sure our stay has been perfect. Especially our waitress Diony Morales at the La Bambola sports bar! She is hands down the best waitress I have ever had in my life and always has a smile on her face! We will continue to go to her for her service throughout the rest of our stay because she has truly made our vacation something special!

• Stayed July 2014
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Greekgir,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the Trip advisor community; it was a pleasure to read your review and we are sure this has helped many travelers confirm that Sandos Playacar is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

We are pleased that you loved it here; we will share your positive comments with Diony and our Staff ; it encourages them to continue working hard.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Kind regards,
Miguel Vargas
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa
webrelations.playacar@sandos.com
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I'll start with the good, the beaches incredible, golden sands and beautiful views. Luxurious reception and easy to find your away around despite how big area it. Shuttle buses (if you can call them that) we're available all the time to get from one side of the hotel to the other.
Many pools available including a couple of family pools, adult pools and personal pools.

I went all inclusive and it was amazing, many choice of drink and food with many restraints available on site; French, Chinese, Mexican and many more. ( the French being particularly designed for couples)

Good mix of family and couples with great access to beach and sun lounges. Both with adult only and family's which was am awesome mix.

Great excursions- swimming with turtles -HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

However the ONLY downside to holiday was staff was very discriminative towards English as was very Spanish around and was frequently ignored and even skipped in the queue to serve a Spanish person.

As a whole, the holiday was amazing, would personally recommend a different hotel in the same area though!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Usually never leave bad reviews, but this time i have too. Traveled with my family arrived Monday 06/30/2014 a group of 18 and we had a request to have rooms at least in the same floor or hallway and we ended being scattered all over the resort which made it difficult for us to communicate and plan events as well as coordinate our family time.Reception put in a request to move our rooms closer to each other but was not going to be possible until 2 or 3 days after we arrived. I made a reservation for a suite which was in the family area with 2 queen beds and ended with 1 king bed and 1 sofa bed which the king size bed was hard as a rock and the sofa bed well you can imagine. Our room which is in the family area was sooooo far from the beach, we walked too much to get to the main area of resort where everything was going on and where mostly all the restaurants were located , they offer golf carts but have a long wait time. And what finished up the bad review is that they have 9 restaurants but you have to make reservations to all of them and Monday when we arrived i tried to make a reservation and they did not have any available until Sunday the day we are suppose to check out!! com'on! so we had to eat at the Festival Buffet everyday!! The service was okay, the cleaning service was great! and The only thing i liked about resort was the Beach! it was beautiful. And heads up the only rooms closer to the beach and main pool area are the Standard Small Rooms, Don't get me wrong the resort overall was pretty but too BIG in my opinion. Will not go back to this Resort unless the change reservation rules and if the have Hacienda Suites by the beach.

Room Tip: if you dont mind walking the Haciendas but if you want to be near the main pool and the beach get a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful vacation at Sandos Playacar. Although the resort is not a 5 star, it certainly met our expectations. The beach is beautiful and very clear unless it storms and there were always plenty of chairs and waiters with cold drinks in the adults only section. The pools were great and the staff worked hard to keep all of the areas clean. We enjoyed our walks from the adults only area to the main area, which were especially needed after all of the delicious snacks we could get at the crepe station and cupcake café. A few touches we loved were all of the wildlife- coatis and the jungle outside our back porch, ease of dinner reservations by contacting Daniela before our trip, and the beach party or live music every night. We enjoyed a bike tour with the entertainment staff, which took us into Playa del Carmen and down 5th avenue. Gerry had great recommendations and it would have been nice to do the tour the first full day we had so we would know where to return later in our trip. I also recommend checking out the hydrotherapy pool at the gym/spa. It was very peaceful and a good break from all of the action. The spa itself is quite expensive. The staff was kind to let me practice my Spanish, even though many of them spoke pretty good English. The only down sides to the resort were the terribly hard bed and pillows- my husband had a lot of trouble sleeping, our room wasn’t very clean when we arrived, and we had some stomach issues the whole time even though we were vigilant about drinking and brushing our teeth with only the filtered water. Overall we would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!