Just returned from the Occidental Royal Hideaway in Playacar and quite anxious to share this information with those who have already booked or are considering booking. Hope this is helpful!
First, I should mention that this resort is really adults only - even though the resort says 13 and over, there wasn't one couple under 30 there. It's truly an adults only / couples only resort. It is a quiet, elegant place to relax and regroup.
The Grounds and Facilities:
Top notch. This is a beautiful resort surrounded by lush gardens, waterfalls, ponds and walkways. There are only 200 rooms, so it's a smaller resort than many of those larger ones. This means more personal service. There are two main pools and about 4 smaller ones scattered around the property. The pools were never crowded. The two main pools do not play music or have those loud activities there, so if you are looking for that "YEEHA" kind of pool volleyball thing, this is not the resort for you. If you are going to relax, have peace and quiet, then yes, it's the resort for you!
The Rooms, The Restaurants, The Lobby, Lobby Bar, Etc:
Each building has a private concierge who will arrange the a la carte dinners (translation: NO standing in line for 20 minutes like you have to at some resorts).
We had her arrange all our dinners, she just booked us in to a different restaurant every night at the time we said we'd prefer, and that was that. Never once was our choice "booked up" so we got what we wanted.
The food was great from start to finish. One thing - there are two breakfast places - the buffet (closer to the water, at Spices) and La Ventanas, near the lobby. Spices is a very small buffet , so you may be surprised by this if you are used to those mega resorts with what seems like acres of buffet! But it's a smaller resort, so bear that in mind. The food is just as good, really. If you don't want to do the small buffet, check out La Ventanas - it's a la carte and has a lovely menu and very attentive service. The hotel has a dinner theatre - definitely worth checking out.
House wine there is great! I'm a wine drinker and sometimes these hotels have mediocre (at best!) wine, but this was Chilean and I liked it a lot. Four varietals to choose from, so you can get what you want.
The lobby is gorgeous! You enter an open air lobby and then to the right is the front desk staff.
Actually the whole resort is gorgeous. Check in was FAST and courteous, and while we were there quite early and our room wasn't ready, we just went and had lunch and by the time we were done our room was ready for us.
There is no disco on the property, and no nightlife really, but they do have a beautiful lobby bar/piano bar, so enjoy that. It's a relaxed atmosphere. They also have afternoon tea (high tea) but we were too busy relaxing on that beautiful beach (more on that in a moment).
Ok, the room - they are really nice. They look just like the photos in the website. The jacuzzi tub is a little smaller than the ones in the newer resorts, but still ... this place is a few years old so we knew that. Seperate shower is nice, and really nice amenities (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap) are a nice touch.
There is limited shopping on the property, but being so close to Playa del Carmen it's not an issue anyway. The gift shop we found to be overpriced, but isn't that always the case on resorts anyway? Just get whatever stuff you need in town.
The Beach and Overall Location of Resort:
The beach is huge, and gorgeous. They've rebuilt it (check out the website) and it's lovely. Lots of beach chairs and nobody did that "get there at 4 am and throw a towel on a chair and then go back up to bed" stuff. There were always lots of chairs, never a challenge to find a great place to suntan.
The resort is about a 15 minute walk to Playa del Carmen, along a nice side street in Playacar. It's a great location. You can also walk to town on the beach. Either way will get you there.
What nice people. They work so hard and were always genuinely friendly to guests. They do want you to have a great time, so please treat them well, tip them and just say "thanks" because they really do appreciate it. Whatever you need, they will try their best to accommodate.
So overall, this is a terrific spot for a QUIET, relaxing holiday. If you want the noisy club scene with all day activities at the pool, this is not the spot for that. However, if you appreciate stunning grounds, superb service and a very quiet, mature and upscale environment, treat yourselves and go here! You will not be disappointed.
I think that just about covers it except to answer that very important question: "Would we go back?" You bet, in a heartbeat. In fact, we'll probably head there next year again. It's really a gem.
Any questions, happy to discuss. Have a great holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Barcelo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Low Cost Holidays and Jetsetter so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico