“All Inclusive with 5 star food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Ranked #14 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Dallas
“All Inclusive with 5 star food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We’ve traveled all over the world, but rarely stay at All-Inclusives, generally because of the average quality of accommodations and food. We generally also don’t like being tied down for meals. With our hectic life and pace recently, we decided to try an all-inclusive so we would not have to really think about anything or plan meals. We could just relax for a week.

The resort is beautifully landscaped. It is an older property but VERY well maintained. We visited during the second week in September, which I think is considered their off season. It was the perfect time. The resort was not crowded and we felt like we had the place almost to ourselves. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was almost the same size as the sleeping area and included a walk-in closet.

My past experience with all-inclusive hotels/resorts (many years ago) was that the accommodations could be average to nice, but the food was average or below average. Royal Hideaway Playa raised the bar to a whole new level. The location was perfect, the pool areas were gorgeous and the quiet, peaceful setting (at least at this time of year) was a hit with us. What really made this stay spectacular were the restaurants! The beautifully appointed décor of the on-site restaurants with their innovative menu choices, excellent food and presentation rivals and/or surpasses many 4 and 5 star restaurants. What a surprise to find this quality of restaurants in an All-Inclusive resort. Because it was the “off-season”, there were only two of there 5-6 restaurants open each night. We got to experience all of them with our length of stay. A concierge is assigned for each “Villa” at the Royal Hideaway. The concierge assisted with restaurant reservations and spa appointments.

The only buffet at this resort during our stay was the breakfast buffet. There was a large variety of fruits, meats, yogurt, pastries, granola, cereals and some traditional Mexican dishes and American breakfast items (bacon, eggs, sausage).

The other restaurants include Spices (with a Mexican menu, this is in the same place as the Breakfast buffet); Azia (Pan-Asian specialties and one of our favorites); Palazzo (Italian); Las Ventanas (our other favorite); The Grill (steaks, seafood grill, in the same place as The Deck during the day). The Deck which is right off the beach and pool area served food during the day until late afternoon. Their cerviche was the best I have EVER had with it's perfect blend of tart and smooth...delicious.

We travel quite a bit and from our wonderful experience with this resort, we are now willing to try other all-inclusives and especially Occidental properties.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Polish first
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

Returned from daughter's destination wedding at the Royal Hideaway Playacar and all 54 of us had an absolutely unbelievable fantastic time. From the rehearsal dinner and wedding on the beach, to the wedding reception at the Grill restaurant, the resort staff did a fantastic job in serving our guests and providing a first class setting that we will all remember for years to come.
All of us are ready to go back and enjoy everything the resort has to offer all over again!
Thank you Royal Hideaway Playacar for all that you did to make the wedding such a beautiful event.

• Stayed December 2010
FashionTravelNYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I just returned from a 2 night stay at the Royal Hideaway and I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the resort. Overall I give it a 8 out of 10. You can tell the Hotel was built a while ago and there are some minor things that need to be updated (no flat screen TV's ~ but we didn't watch much Television anyways ~ some tiles here and there in the Jacuzzi didn't match the original, and some painting could have been done ~ beach chairs could be upgraded) The resort is well maintained and the staff is very pleasant. Some kids, but all of which were older and well behaved, mostly couples in the resort.

ROOMS:
We stayed in the standard room (which I was hesitant of) but it was lovely. The tub is small, but we didn't use it. The water pressure very nice, and never an issue with a steaming hot shower. The safe doesn't fit a computer and the room isn't very large, but it is well decorated and very clean. The beds were comphy and there is a cute Patio. BEWARE, some of the rooms do face the exterior of the resort and look onto the adjacent properties, but thankfully we didn't have one of those and ours looked onto the cute streams that flow through the hotel. To be honest I don't think I would do a higher room category if I were to come back...for the amount of time spent in the room, it well more then fine.

FOOD:
I must say the food was great. Their signature restaurant Las Ventanas was amazing. My BF and I decided that if we had ordered the meal we ate in NYC it would have cost at least $500...the quality was out of this world good and the food just kept coming...We like one of our deserts, so we ordered 2 more, never any questions asked, always willing and wanting to feed us more and get us more cocktails. Really Awesome. Spices and the Deck were the Day and Morning options. They were willing to makes me other eggs when I didn't care for what was offered at breakfast. Also grill some shrimp up when I didn't want to order from the menu. Very accommodating. For dinner the other night we ate the Azia the Asian Bistro. Good food, unfortunately we didn't get a seat at the Hibachi table, but we still had a great meal and the shots of sake flowed like water. Because of the great service we had especially at dinner we always took care of the serves ($20 each, which I think is more generous then most give...though they expect NOTHING and I think give fantastic service despite, they truly appreciated the small gesture!)

TEA TIME:
Go and have a flaming coffee, seriously Yummy.

GYM/SPA:
I normally use the gym and the Spa. The gym could be updated, it was a bit small so I opted to just exercise on the beach and the Spa was also small and could use a renovation...I didn't have any services done (they maybe fantastic, I DO NOT KNOW??), but after having just used the Ritz spa a day earlier I didn't feel this one stacked up for the prices they were charging...

LOCATION:
I love the little Playacar community. Across from the hotel is a Starbucks if you need your caffeine fix. And its a $5 cab rise to Playa Del Carmen if you want some excitement ( the hotel is fairly quiet and doesn't boast a night scene) But since PDC is so close you really get the best of both worlds. And its a short 45-60 minutes from CUN airport.

BEACH:
Look to your left, and then right. All the other beaches are completely crowded while the Royal Hideaway's ISN'T ~ thank goodness! We sat secluded from others close to the water. Unfortunately you can hear some of the NOISE (drinking games I assume??) from the other resorts. But You can have drinks and even lunch at your lounge chairs (if a bird doest try and snatch it from you) Beautiful white sands and very friendly beach staff to make sure you can relax and catch some sun!

OVERALL:
For an all-inclusive (this is my 4th I've stayed at) it is a great one. It deserves it's high marks. They offered great liquors and they truly were top self...Johny Walker Black label, 1800 tequila, Goose/Kettle etc. Lobster was missing unfortunately...but everything else was there. It is a bit old school (can feel a hair dated) But AMAZING VALUE, Great Staff and Location. I would go back and I think a great comparison to it would be the feel of a Four Seasons that is a bit older that includes food and booze...Not Bad :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We are a young couple who work hard in stressful job. The vacation was my gift for our wedding anniversary. I am the king now! She was surprise of the gift and was wondering why this hotel? I was looking for a small hotel (less than 300 rooms) where we could be relaxing together.....guess what the choice what perfect!

We stayed at hotel all week and enjoy the view, the beach, the food and the service. We went during the week of 10th-17th of December. The hotel was booked at 40%, the employee were working at 200%.

We tried the SPA and took the romantic massage. Very good and relaxing when you are in vacation.

When you reserve at the Palazzo, with the view of the Cozumel Island, you will be eating in Heaven. You dont fell like in an All inclusive restaurant. Try the Gnocchies and the Spinach Fettucini. The restaurant Azia...I was a little bit scared to order Sushies, but they were very, very fresh and good.

The Ventanas offer you two choice eat in the main restaurant or the Chef Table. We try both, but try the Chef Table (200$). You will be eating in the kitchen and will try 17th meals(small) and the Florian the chef will offered you the best innovation in you plate. You will be able to see him prepare all the meals and explain them to you. You need to try it....Dont expect him to yell like Chef Ramsey...Florian is pretty good.

At the Royal Hideaway you can relaxe everywhere, around the pool or Hot tub, at the beach, at the restaurant, in you room. The music is never too loud (sometime you will hear the music from the other hotel).

What else can I say. When we came back, I wanted to go back again at the Royal Hideaway..it never happen to us before. When you taste and relax in heaven; you want to go back again.

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Just got back from a 5 day stay at the Royal Hideaway. If you are looking for: outstanding service, great food, a perfect room, very close proximity to the beach and an infinity pool, then this place is definitely for you. The staff here could not have been more accomodating - just to give you an example, on Christmas Eve, there were set menus at the different restaurants, but unfortunately, due to allergies, we were unable to eat several of the main dishes (all included shrimp)...so the assistant chef met with us and created a personalized 4 course meal just for us, which was outstanding.

I reviewed several other hotels in the area, but this definitely offerred the best value. To be honest, I was expecting the food to be "cruise-like" - good, but not great. I was completely surprised - I live in NYC, and the Italian food at Las Ventanas and the Mexican food at Spices as as good or better than many of the best restaurants in NYC.

Tn.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

This was our second visit and it was wonderful. I know nothing is perfect but Royal Hideaway is pretty close. We have also been to Secrets Maroma, Secrets Silversands, a RIU, and Iberostar, and Excellence.
Royal Hideaway is my favorite with Secrets Maroma close by. The others are not even close.
Royal Hideaway has so much space per person and the beach is now huge. The employees are so nice. It is quite and not really any activity.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We are a young(ish) couple (late twenties/mid thirties) from NYC who came to the Royal Hideaway with high expectations and they really surpassed them all! Usually, at all-inclusive resorts, we find the food to be sub-par, but it was one the best things about this hotel! The food was unbelievable. Each night we'd walk away from dinner saying that the most recent meal was our favorite. The breakfast buffet and lunch were exception as well.
The service that we experienced in all aspects of our stay was above and beyond. It was so nice to have a personal concierge. She was so helpful to us - making sure that we saw everything we wanted to see on our trip. We loved that the beach was less crowded than all of the hotels around the area. The beach was gorgeous, and the infinity pool was fantastic to spend the day at.
Absolutely no complaints.
We went for rest and relaxation. If people are looking for a "party" atmosphere, this is not the right place. However, if you'd like a night out, Playa Del Carmen's Fifth Avenue is about a half hour walk from the hotel (much faster cab ride, about $5, but we prefered to walk). There are plenty of restaurants and bars open there until late in the evening.
I would 100% wholeheartedly recommend this to everyone. We are even considering going back and we never do return visits for vacations!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!