We’ve traveled all over the world, but rarely stay at All-Inclusives, generally because of the average quality of accommodations and food. We generally also don’t like being tied down for meals. With our hectic life and pace recently, we decided to try an all-inclusive so we would not have to really think about anything or plan meals. We could just relax for a week.
The resort is beautifully landscaped. It is an older property but VERY well maintained. We visited during the second week in September, which I think is considered their off season. It was the perfect time. The resort was not crowded and we felt like we had the place almost to ourselves. Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The bathroom was almost the same size as the sleeping area and included a walk-in closet.
My past experience with all-inclusive hotels/resorts (many years ago) was that the accommodations could be average to nice, but the food was average or below average. Royal Hideaway Playa raised the bar to a whole new level. The location was perfect, the pool areas were gorgeous and the quiet, peaceful setting (at least at this time of year) was a hit with us. What really made this stay spectacular were the restaurants! The beautifully appointed décor of the on-site restaurants with their innovative menu choices, excellent food and presentation rivals and/or surpasses many 4 and 5 star restaurants. What a surprise to find this quality of restaurants in an All-Inclusive resort. Because it was the “off-season”, there were only two of there 5-6 restaurants open each night. We got to experience all of them with our length of stay. A concierge is assigned for each “Villa” at the Royal Hideaway. The concierge assisted with restaurant reservations and spa appointments.
The only buffet at this resort during our stay was the breakfast buffet. There was a large variety of fruits, meats, yogurt, pastries, granola, cereals and some traditional Mexican dishes and American breakfast items (bacon, eggs, sausage).
The other restaurants include Spices (with a Mexican menu, this is in the same place as the Breakfast buffet); Azia (Pan-Asian specialties and one of our favorites); Palazzo (Italian); Las Ventanas (our other favorite); The Grill (steaks, seafood grill, in the same place as The Deck during the day). The Deck which is right off the beach and pool area served food during the day until late afternoon. Their cerviche was the best I have EVER had with it's perfect blend of tart and smooth...delicious.
We travel quite a bit and from our wonderful experience with this resort, we are now willing to try other all-inclusives and especially Occidental properties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Agoda, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico