“Royal Hideaway Playa Car's Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Special Offer
Book NOW & Save up to 45%
Ranked #13 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New Jersey
“Royal Hideaway Playa Car's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2005

Okay, don't listen to people who are not well travelled or only travel to complain.

We just returned from RH which we chose for our honeymoon.

As far as the welcome, bellboys and checkin...Bellboys were very attentive and took all of our bags. We were escorted to the main lobby where we were seated in elegant furnishings and given champagne as well as cool aromatherapeutic towels...nice.

We were given a full tour of the resort and felt well informed. After our tour, we were escorted to our room. The room was Spotless, not musty and the AC was on.

Our Concierge introduced himself and told us if we need anything....Let me know. We booked several tours shopping etc and all went perfect.

The resort itself is beautiful. The grounds are impecable. Pools are almost sterile and blue. As far as that beach chair myth...we were able to get a chair with relative ease whenever I wanted.

Food! Exceptional. I don't mean good for an All Inclusive. I mean it was excptional period. All resturants should be tried at least once. Drinks are top shelf. No garbage liquor.

One day we decided to go to Chichen Itza to climb the Pyramid. I left my wedding ring (I am the Groom) on the bathroom sink. It is a ring which I designed myself and has tremendous sentimental and financial value. (about 1 years salary for hotel worker). I would have taken it!!

When we returned..Still where I left it. In fact the cleaning person cleaned around it! I hunted her down and gave here a healthy reward. She had tears in her eyes. we also told the concierge and manager.

The next day we went out to sample some tequilla in town which is a 3 minute drive. Taxis (nice taxi's and drivers) are always right out front for $4 trip to town. When we were on our way out the bellboys we made friennds with(Philip) was not wearing his name plate. We asked him what happened and he said he lost it.
When we returned to the hotel he was wearing it again. So you found it we said...No, he said I had to buy a new one for 10 dollars...I handed him $10 and said good night. He said "now you are my Godfather."

Mexican's are happy, fun intelligent people. You will have the time of your life.

Go to the Royal Hideaway..Go anywhere you want..But take advice from a traveller:

Treat people everywhere you go with respect. Suprise the people that are working very hard so you have a great vac. Smile, laugh and say thank you. Spend a few minutes to learn their culture and spend a few dollars to make someones life a little easier. Remember, You are fortunate....You can take a vacation.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

My husband and I just returned from the RH this past Sunday. We chose the RH for our honeymoon and it exceeded our expectations. We were both very excited about the resort based on many positive reviews posted on the web site and were happy we chose this resort instead of another.

Starting off; walking into the resort and being handed a glass of champagne and a cool towel (scented with 'Aqua de Naranja' - had to buy some) was enough to relax any seasoned travel. Check-in was a breeze and we were escorted to Spices for lunch since our room would not be ready for another 1.5 hours. Spices ended up being our breakfast spot of coice; not only for the view but for the variety.

Incredible weather the entire time we were there. Our villa - #30 was beautiful and Rosalia was of incredible assistance. Make sure to make all of your dinner reservations when you arrive, you can always change then as necessary if plans change. We had dinner at all of the resturants- Palazzo ended up being out favorite. Request a terrace seat at sunset as you can see the entire grounds and ocean; the pasta tasted great too.

Champagne in the room upon arrival for the honeymooners was a plus, as was the daily newsletter of the happenings of the resort. The twice daily room cleans/turn down service was a refreshing touch as well.

I was a bit nervous of the status of the beach from reading the reviews, but if I had not read them before I arrived, I probably would not have known any different. I have never seen a staff of employees keep such an imaculate beach and grounds all throughout the day and night.

As for the service, I could not have asked for more. Everyone knew us by name and exchanged a "Hola, como esta" each time passing on the grounds. We were never at a want for anything the entire time there. For the beach activities, Uriel and Gus provided much entertainment for the folks every afternoon and joined in on the fun.

Overall, what a great trip. We even biked into town on 2 occassions and can't wait to head back soon!

Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2005

Okay, let's get this out of the way. The following prevented us from giving the Royal Hideaway 5 stars:

1. Arrival- Upon arrival the bellboy didn't grab all our bags. I had to carry my laptop and my wife carried her shoulder bag. This after lugging all our stuff through customs and Cancun airport. The bellboy put our luggage on his cart and rushed off as we were left to register with laptop and overnight bag still in hand.

2. Check-in- The host at check-in was unpleasant. It was our anniversary. We didn't get a "Happy Annivesary" or a friendly welcome. Instead we got a hurried presentation of the services and anmenities. He spoke so fast we hardly understood half of it. He seemed irritated. My wife asked a simple question that was actually referred to me, wondering about what time the spa closes. He snapped "Please, please, you need to ask the concierge", instead of providing us a simple answer. His tone just didn't seem friendly.

3. Dress code at spices- Wife and I went to spices for breakfast one morning. Was told there was no dresscode. She was wearing a bikini top and a pair of shorts. When we walked in the host said "No, no you can't come in here, you have to get a shirt. You can't come in here dressed like that". His tone was very unfriendly and loud enough to draw attention from other guests. Something that could have easily been handled by simply saying "I'm sorry we do not allow bikini tops" or something similar in a more quiet and personable tone instead of creating a mini drama and embarassing my wife.

4. Food to room- One morning my wife had an extreme migrane headache. Since the room service menu just has a continental breakfast option and she wanted pancakes, I had to go to Spices with the intent to fill up a plate of pancakes to bring back to the room for her. I was told by the hostess that the policy is not to allow guests to do this because they didn't want the plates leaving the restaurant. Fair enough. So I went to the concierge and told her about this situation. She apologized and said there was nothing she could do. There was no attempt to assist in the matter. Well I ended up taking the initiative by calling room service and talking to Chris. I told him what my wife wanted from the buffet. He was very friendly and said it would be no problem at all to get this done. They filled up a plate at Spices and the plate was delivered within 15 minutes.

5. Runaway Mouse- We're late nighters and one night went to the business office at 2:00 in the morning. My wife was using their computer and I had our laptop. The resort was like a ghost town with guests sleeping the night away. But we did see a few employees wandering around during the 1.5 hours we were in the biz office. We left at about 3:30am to return to the room. As soon as we got back to the room I realized we left our mouse pad there. My wife immediately left to retrieve it, but it was no longer there. She went upstairs and asked if anyone had seen it. Nope. Gone. So in just approximately 5 minutes after leaving the business office, someone snatched the cheap mousepad up like a vulture. Incredible. This situation is serious and concerns me more than anything else above. Also, previously to this incident I accidentally left my sunglasses in the spa shower room and by the time the massage was over, they were gone. However, there were other guests around at the time who possibly could have snatched them up. I'm responsible for leaving my items around and don't expect any sympathy. The question is, where did they go?

6. Spa Services- The spa setting itself is gorgeous. We ordered the "Day Of Beauty" package which consisted of four hours of massages, facials, manicures, and pedicures for both of us. The massages were okay, but way overpriced considering the quality in our opinion. When the massage was over they put us both flat on our back on the massage table so we could receive the facials. With our eyes covered, we never received any warning when something hot or cold was going to be applied to our faces. A little communication would be nice here to help prevent facial shock. Seemed like we laid flat on our back for about 30 minutes. The tables weren't that comfortable to be laying on our backs for such an extended period of time. In fact, our backs got sore from this and we ended up scheduling massages for the next day off the property to fix our backs. No complaints about the manicure or pedicures.

7. Room Service Menu- Okay, I may be nickpicking here but after midnight there are two main courses available on the room service menu which are: Breaded Chicken Scalops with vegetables and french fries, or Grilled Mahi Mahi fillet, with sauted vegetables in olive oil

These are probably delicious meals, but who would want to order this for a midnight snack? How about giving us a choice of some chips, dips, pretzels, popcorn, light sandwiches, hamburgers, soups, ice cream, or cakes? However, I do know they provide more than what is listed on the room service menu as one night my wife requested ice cream and got it. By the way, it was delicious.

So the negative basically deals with a few customer service issues (which is suppose to be one of Royal Hideaways greatest strengths), possible employee theft of a cheap mousepad, and spa services. As you will see from here on out is that it gets better. Service wasn't bad across the board, it was just inconsistent.

That's out of the way. Now the good.

A. Food- Yes it's true. As mentioned so many times before, the food for the most part was exceptional. We had no problem with portion sizes as some have mentioned. We thought the portions were perfect. In fact, we often felt overstuffed after dinner. If the portion sizes were too small, simply order more. Nobody should ever leave hungry from their fine restaurants. Just a few of the dinners were "good" in our opinion, but I won't hold this against Royal Hideaway. Some meals we were unfamiliar with and ordered anyways to experiment with new dishes. It's not their fault if my taste buds don't particulary care for a certain combo of spices. The meal presentations and service at all restaurants were top notch. A true "5" star in this category. Room service was also exceptional. Orders promised to be delivered in 25 minutes, but the norm was more like 10-15 minutes. Drinks throughout were excellent.

B. Concierge- Rosalia did a complete 180 degree turn from the situation in #4 above. She went above and beyond what we expected. She helped make our anniversary one we will never forget. I just cannot say enough good things about the job Rosalia did for us during our stay at the Royal Hideaway.

C. Grounds- Very well kept. The Royal Hideaway is a very beautiful property. They do a great job of keeping the grounds and property in such immaculate shape.

D. Room- Very nice. Glad we opted for the standard suite instead of the "ocean view" suite. Not worth the extra cost in our opinion. I could see how come guests could have complaints about the room. Depends on what building you are in. Some buildings patios face the resort properties located next door. We heard some noise a few times coming from these properties while we were walking on the sidewalk in the middle of the Royal Hideaway property. I could just imagine what it would be like for those folks who have rooms so close to those other resorts.

E. Housekeeping- Excellent. Always kept the room nice and clean.

F. Beach, pool chairs, pools- Previous review comments are accurate from our experience.

That about covers it. Don't think we will be returning, not because we didn't have a great time because we did. Had a blast. However, with so many other resorts to visit that we've never been to, Royal Hideway would have to blow us away for us to return, and they just didn't do that.

If you've never been to the Royal Hideway we suggest you give it a shot. It really was a great experience and one that we will never forget. There is a lot of good on this beautiful property, and your experience can vary greatly depending on the turn of events that lead you to encounter certain individuals throughout your stay.

New Windsor, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway for a week, using the Allegro Vacation Club timeshare. Everything was fantastic, with just an exception or two. One pool near our villa was out of service, but there were many others to use. The view from our 2nd floor villa wasn't that great, as it was overlooking a service entrance for workers. Other than those two items, the place was fantastic. The food was out of this world, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the place was beautiful and well maintenanced. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to be pampered!

• Stayed November 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway from May 18th to the 23rd for our 10th wedding anniversary. This is our third time to this area- once for our honeymoon, once for our 5th anniversary and we decided to go back for our 10th anniversary. By far this is the best resort in Playa Del Carmen. My husband and I researched for months before choosing this hotel. The reviews on this website were so helpful. This was our first time to this resort and we can't wait to return! Everything was absolutely PERFECT!! We could not figure out how people could have problems at this resort. The only conclusion we could come up with is they are extremely difficult to please! This resort is 5 star without a doubt! It is at the level of any Ritz Carlton or Westin we have stayed at in the United States.

We were looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation away from our one and 3 year old. We are sooooooo glad we chose an "adults only" resort. It totally changed the atmosphere of the resort. It was very quiet, peaceful, and romantic. Everyone is walking around holding hands and all the tables at dinner are set for two. If you don't have kids or you have kids and you aren't traveling with them this is the resort to stay at!

The serice at this hotel is AMAZING!! All of the waiters and staff were so attentive, so friendly and go above and beyond what is expected. We were so glad we brought cash to tip. Even though they say tips are included we wanted to reward people for working so hard to please. These people do not make very much money so please tip them!! Just one or two bucks even. If you tip the guys who find you chairs by the pool or beach they we will be so helpful. Same with the guys who bring you food and drinks by the pool and beach.

This grounds and location of the Royal Hideaway are magnificent. We felt like we were in heaven. The pools are so beautiful facing the carribean. We had no problem getting chairs by the beach or pool late in the morning. We never had to go out early and save chairs. Now if you want the padded ones by the pool those seemed difficult to come by but we preferred being on the beach so we didn't care. Speaking of the beach. It was not nearly as bad as we expected. All of the hotels down there have had the same erosion problems, it just is a thing of nature. You can still lay on the beach and the swimming in front of the hotel was awesome. We didn't mind the erosion at all. It just made for a shorter beach. But the sand and water were still just as beautiful.

We loved our room. It was very nice and VERY clean. We couldn't believe that housekeeping cleaned it twice a day and we NEVER saw them, not once! Room service was great to have a drink or appetizer on our patio. We were in a very nice location in villa #26. It was very quiet and located in the middle of the resort. Luz was our concierge and she was wonderful!

Now for the food! Just so you know, my husband and I are not overweight and we are in good shape. We are not very focused on food in our lives except for nourishment. Let me tell you neither one of us have enjoyed food so much in our lives then when we were at the Royal Hideaway!! Every meal and every restaurant was amazing in the quality and presentation of food. Some people had said on trip advisor that the portions were small. Well, the food is gourmet, this isn't a cruise and this isn't Outback or Claim Jumper!! We were so stuffed after every meal!! Our favorite restaurant was Palazzo's (the italian restaurant). We ate at all the restaurants except the asian one. Yes, you need to make reservations for dinner but we loved that! That way you didn't need to wait. The restaurants are small and intimate adding to the atmosphere of the resort. Also it allows the restaurants to give you better service so they don't have to rush you out. Just a tip - make your first night's dinner reservation by the Royal Hiedaway's website before you go. Make it at Palazzo's, I think they make a very good first impression. Once you get to the hotel schedule the rest of your dinner reservations for the rest of the week. We got all the times we wanted and had no problems. We ate at 7:00 or 7:30 every night for dinner and that was perfect for us. Don't forget about the dress code because they really enforce it. We would watch guys walk into restaurants and they would ask them to go back to their room and change. For guys you need to wear closed toed shoes, slacks (no jeans or shorts), and a collared shirt. Women can wear sandles, nice pants, skirts or dresses. The dress code seemed to be more difficult for the men and not a big deal for the women.

This resort far exceeded our expecations and I highly recommend going there!! You will not regret it. We had the most wonderful 10th anniversary by going to the Royal Hideaway!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

I read the reviews on this web site for months and months before we went to the RH for our vacation/wedding. I wanted our wedding to be perfect at the RH and I was not dissappointed a bit. I wouldn't change a thing about it, except for inviting more people to come with us so that they can experience the wonderful service and beautiful atmosphere of the RH.
I can understand some of the complaints from former reviewers, but if you keep in mind that they are trying as hard as they can to make your stay wonderful and that you really have NO need to be in a hurry, then you won't be put out. I found that if I politely asked again for something I needed, the staff would bend over backward to take care of it for me.
In some of the other reviews, you'll notice that people refer to the staff on a first name basis. This will happen to you too! We chatted with staff all the time and were so delighted when they walked by and called us by name throughout our stay.
I also read about not being able to get chairs. Personally, I wouldn't want to be near the pool anyway, when I can be facing a beautiful ocean on the beach. We never had a problem getting a front-row seat with wonderful service!
In conclusion, if you or someone you know would like a relaxing, beautiful wedding with a wonderful wedding coordinator on-site, I highly reccommend this place!

Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2005

I would give the resort 5 stars and the reservation service ½ star. We booked months in advance and put a deposit down and our card was billed for the entire stay 30 days prior to our arrival. You would think that would definitely guarantee it, but we were told just 2 days prior to our reservation that we would have to move to a family resort for the first 2 nights because they had overbooked the Royal Hideaway. Being in the travel industry, I knew they had to accommodate us and it was a first come first serve basis so we showed up at the Royal Hideaway anyway and got a room without any problems. I talked to another guest who also got bumped and showed up at the back up family resort and said the food and service was awful there. The only thing they offered as compensation was 2 nights free on a new reservation that had to be used in a year! Not everyone can plan to come back to vacation that soon and I thought that was a total joke!

So you can see my disappointment with the Occidental Hotel Reservations and enough about that. On a positive note, the resort was absolutely beautiful! We have stayed at Sandels resorts, Atlantis and all over the Caribbean and this one definitely ranked at the top. We just got back and stayed from May 20-25 2005. Even though the resort was full, they way it was laid out made it feel like it wasn’t. The pools were always nice and clean. Our favorite was the relaxing pool next to our villa #29. It was either empty or just a few people there. The main pools were more crowded. We never had any trouble getting towels, chairs, or a cabana but did have problems getting rafts. People would get them in the morning and hold onto them all day regardless if they were using them or not.

The only complaint I had about the room was the beds were very hard. The balcony was extremely large for all room types. The maid service was excellent.

As far as getting out and about, the shopping Playcar was a fun experience. There are areas where they pressure to come into their shop, but it is nothing like Jamaica. We love to snorkel and found the excursion company located at the hotel takes you to a very nice reef. There are several other excursion companies tied up at the same place, but it was still very clear. We had heard Xel Ha was also excellent for snorkeling and I bet it was 5-10 years ago before it turned into an amusement like park! The water was beautiful when you first get there, but when you get into snorkel it is so murky from the amount people in the water with you. It was $35 pp to get in and I definitely didn’t think it was worth it. It is just way too overcrowded. It appeared to us that Xcaret was the same way although we did not go there. It is $65/pp. I had heard such marvelous things about the Play del Carmen area and how it was not commercialized like Cancun, but even our concierge said that in the last 5 years it has completely changed. If you are the type that likes to hang out at the resort and maybe slide in a little shopping then this place is for you, but if you like to venture out and do excursions then this place is really lacking!

The restaurants were all amazing. We did not go to the Oriental one, but went to all of the others. Our favorite was the Italian restaurant. You have to order their clam chowder, it is out of this world! Also, try and get a table outside. The patio is amazing and overlooks the entire resort. This would definitely be the restraint of choice to celebrate a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!