“Perfect stay in Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Ranked #12 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Bordentown, New Jersey, United States
“Perfect stay in Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I planned a last-minute trip to Mexico, and chose Royal Hideaway Playacar after reading Trip Advisor and seeing so many positive reviews. From the moment I arrived at RHP, I knew I had chosen the right resort.

At check-in, I was welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine and given a place to sit. Within minutes, I was all checked in, and on my way to The Deck for lunch. After lunch, I went to my villa and met my concierge, Roberto. Roberto quickly made my dinner reservations, then showed me to my room. The bellhop had already delivered my bags, and my room was clean, cool, and just lovely. I have stayed at other resorts where check-in took well over an hour, but at RHP, within about an hour, I was checked in, ate lunch, planned dinner, and was on the beach.

I had never stayed at a resort with a concierge before, and I was amazed at how nice it was to have one. Roberto made sure I had everything I needed for my vacation, and throughout the week he checked in with me to ask if everything was to my liking. When I checked in, I had told him that I was on vacation to celebrate my new job and my birthday, and to my surprise, one day I came back from the beach and my room was decorated with balloons, and that night at dinner I was presented with a birthday cake. It was such a sweet gesture, and really made me feel special.

RHP is a small resort, which is part of why I chose it. I was traveling solo and thought that a smaller resort would be a better choice. I was right. Within the first day, many of the staff were greeting me by name, and the waiters and bartenders at The Deck knew what drinks I liked and throughout the week would often bring me one before I even ordered! Not only is the staff friendly, but the guests at this resort are very friendly, too. Even though I was traveling alone, I was never lonely because I always had someone to talk to. Being at such a nice and friendly resort promotes a relaxed and friendly atmosphere among the guests, I believe.

The restaurants and dining at RHP are the finest I've ever had at any resort. For breakfast, the options were either the buffet at Spices or ala carte service at The Deck. I went to the buffet one morning and it was quite good with every sort of breakfast food you could want, but the other mornings I went to The Deck so I could sit at a table overlooking the ocean as I ate breakfast. The Eggs Benedict and Huevos Rancheros were my favorites, along with the Greek yogurt parfait. And of course the cafe con leche and mimosas!

For lunch, I went to The Deck every day. The Tacos de Carnitas and Baja Fish Tacos were excellent, and the scallop ceviche was excellent, too. There's an extensive lunch menu, with things like burgers and sandwiches, but I stuck with things that I can't easily get at home. At home I can have a burger any time I want, but only at RHP can I get a scallop ceviche to eat while looking out at the perfect turquoise blue ocean.

For dinner, I enjoyed all of the restaurants that RHP had to offer. I really liked that each night you can go to a different restaurant while there, and you're not stuck just going to a buffet, as many resorts do. Each restaurant was great in its own way, but Ventanas was my favorite. The cuisine there is unique and just wonderful. But really, all of the restaurants are excellent, and the staff is very attentive. At each meal, they will ask if you have any food allergies, and they will greet you by name as well.

I'm a beach person, and spent most of my time during the day at the beach. They have little canvas shelters for the lounge chairs so you can have some shade, and the staff will help you set it up. The waiters come around very often to ask if you'd like a drink or a snack. The infinity pool is also very lovely, and very relaxing to just float in it while looking out at the ocean. RHP has one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to -- perfect warm blue water, and perfect white sand.

I was so sad when I had to leave RHP and I can't wait until I can plan another trip there. Now that I've been to the perfect resort, I don't think I can go to any others! I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Polish first
Glen Gardner, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have traveled at great length including every island/destination in the Caribbean. This is our second trip to the Riviera Maya. Honestly, I didn't think anywhere could top the resort we stayed at during our last trip here; however, I stand corrected. Royal Hideaway IS most definitely THE LEADING HOTEL OF THE WORLD!! My family own a chain of one of one of the most world renowned Travel Agencies, and I have sold this property countless times, hearing nothing but wonderful reviews and had hoped one day I too would be lucky enough to experience it for myself. Even prior to my arrival the head of Guest Relations reached out to me, not knowing anything about my family's travel agency. She set up our dinner reservations and did her best to accommodate any special requests/occasions we were having/needed. From the moment we arrived we were treated like Royalty. Our Villa Concierge Person "Caser" was one to be reckoned with! Every day our room (which was stunning), was made up with special touches of the utmost class. Every evening out turn down service had an extra special touch with treats of superb candies to Champagne. The food & service in ever restaurant was beyond superb! The Activities staff, especially Elvis & Carlos were beyond wonderful, making every person including ourselves like family. The entire resort was exquisite beyond compare, immaculate & the entire staff treated every guest with elegance beyond measure. Not only can't we wait to return, but this is where we feel will be our home away from home in the future. I cannot begin to thank all of the staff we encountered for all you did to make our stay perfect. We can hardly wait until we can return!!

Room Tip: Originally we were put in room 2316; however we were moved very quickly upon request. I would stay a...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivet_Pat, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Lstsmt,

Thank you for choosing Royal Hideaway for your visit to the Riviera Maya and for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at our resort; we were glad to read that you enjoyed the friendly, warm, attentive and professional service we strive to provide all of our guests.

It is very important for us to know the points that have impressed you during your stay and for providing other readers with your recommendations. Your comments have been shared with our staff.

This is your home away from home and we would love to have you as a loyal guest. It will be great to see you coming back next year, maybe for a longer stay!

Warm Regards,

Turlock, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I spent nine days at this lovely resort. I had read reviews for hours before choosing to stay here and so glad we found it. It's a small and relatively quiet resort which made it perfect for us. We loved the attention to detail and the focus on service. From the time you arrive to check in and are greeted with refreshments, a scented cloth and impeccable service, you know you are going to love it. Our room was perfect. We loved the comfortable bed, the jetted tub, the double sinks and the shower. Having a balcony to sit on and look at the garden was also greatly enjoyed.

We discovered it was best to arrive for breakfast before 8. The one morning we got there after 8, we had a wait. All the other days, we were able to be seated immediately if we did not care if it was inside or outside. The buffet has a wonderful selection of food and we enjoyed also having eggs or omelets just the way we liked them. We thought the coffee too weak, so fixed that by ordering espressos and a pot of hot watar to make it just the way we liked it. They were happy to accomodate us.
Another advantage to getting up before 8 was getting one of the beach beds. There are some reserved but always some that we could find and settle into for the day. We spent most days there.
We followed other travellers suggestion of booking our first two meals ahead of time and that worked wel. However, when we got there, we decided to wait a day or two to book our last night. That was a mistake. We had to eat at Spices and it's not our kind of food. We are not big fans of Mexican food and it was heavy in seasoning which we don't enjoy. We should have booked more nights at Las Ventanas ahead of time because we were only able to have one meal there other than Chef's Table. We got two nights at Palazzo. The second night we got a table on the terrace and were delighted with the view.
The Chef's Table was a highlight. We were the only two so we got spoiled with attention. Ismail was our chef and she was delightful. We had some of the best food we willl have this side of heaven. The Fois Gras was amazing and we feel lucky to have our first taste prepared by her. If you ove gourmet food and presentation then you should take this in. Las Ventanas as a restaurant did a wonderful job with the regular restaurant also. It was our definite favorite. We also enjoyed Azia and we were glad we chose it for our first meal since we were coming from Pacific time and not that hungry. We were able to eat light with the sushi and spring rolls. One night we booked the Hibachi table. We enjoyed meeting other guests and the pageantry of the food preparaation but it wasn't our favorite meal.

Our one venture out from the resort was to rent a car to go to Tulum. We loved it! If you want a quiet beach -- this is where to find it. Our concierge, Daniel, had given us some tips about where to park and how to access the beach. It worked well. The small hotels south of Tulum are okay with you using their chairs if you purchase drinks. Then you can just relax on the quietest beach you can imagine. We walked down to a beach restaurant we were advised to try by the friendly tourists we met. It was delivious food. We decided on our next visit to spend at least a few days in Tulum and enjjoy the quiet. Because these hotels are not all inclusive resorts, we will have to buy our own food and drinks and have been warned it will cost the same as the resort. The trade off for quiet beaches wil be worth it, we think. But we don't want to completely give up the service and food of Royal Hideaway so we are thinking both places will be perfect. Our one mistake was trying to do this and the Cenotes on the same day. We didn't get to the Cenote in time to get a guide, so we decided to save it for our next trip as a reason to return. We heard it is an amazing way to spend a day.
It was wonderful having a Concierge for each building. Our building had 12 rooms and one concierge for all of us. It is wonderful having a person to help you solve problems and answer questions.
We only had rain one afternoon and it was a nice way to spend time watching the rain and getting room service.
We tried high tea and it wasn't our "cup of tea" You have to like the kind of salty and sweet bites that come with the tea. It was nice to know it was there for those who enjoy it.
Leaving was our saddest day. We loved the weather, the beautiful beach, the accomodations and the service and we are already planning a trip next year.

Room Tip: Stay as close to the middle of the property as possible The south side has very loud music. Stayin...
Dear Kewturlock,

It will be great to see you coming back next year, maybe this time even for a longer stay!

Best Regards,

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My girlfriends and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway for a birthday celebration and in my opinion, the resort provided a great experience - especially for the price! The rooms are modern and comfortable, the property is well maintained and beautiful, the staff was incredibly accommodating and so helpful, and for an all-inclusive resort, I thought the food was really great -The Asian restaurant was one of our favorites - be sure not to miss it! I always enjoyed the breakfast buffet on the top floor of Spices - Nice variety; good quality food, room service was fast and the menu was fairly extensive and eating by the pool was a fun treat!

The only problem I had with any of the service we received during our entire stay was making reservations at the restaurants on the property. Because we didn't ever think ahead enough in advance, we were never able to get reservations before 9pm. Even when we did try to make reservations 24 hours in advance, we still didn't have much luck. From what I now understand, we should have made all of our reservations FAR in advance for any time availability before 8pm. As it was, we never were able to eat before 9pm - Too late for our preference. This was unacceptable to most of our party, but not a deal breaker for me. If this is a concern, I would suggest making reservations immediately upon your arrival, even if you're not sure you will eat on site.

As a side note and to gush about the staff a little more - I shared a room with a friend who was celebrating her birthday. We came back to the room after a day of sun and fun to find her room decorated with balloons - a very nice touch indeed!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Best Resort in Playacar...
Best in Playa del Carmen!!!'
Everything is perfect..
Amazing Food... Staff... Service... and Scenery!'
Just Perfect!'
Can't wait to get Back!!! for the 3rd time!!!'
Visited December 2013

Room Tip: Good For Couples
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivet_Pat, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Alejandro A,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your wonderful comments.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that we exceeded your expectations. Our staff takes pride providing personalized service, so that all of our guests have an unforgettable experience.
It will be great to assist you again; to have a loyal guest like you having a great time is always our reward.

We are looking forward to see you coming back for the 3th stay,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is my 3rd time in Mexico, stayed at this Royal Hideaway Resort from Nov 13-18, 2014 and it was a great experience. This is an incentive trip from our company ;-) so there's about 75 people from different cities and states Both from US and Canada.

There's a couple of things I can say:

Pros:
- beautiful rooms (we got the room 2224), this is by far the best unit i've been (compared to Hacienda Tres Rios and Grand Bahia Principe Tulum), this is newer, has bigger washroom, jacuzzi tub, loved the 2 robes for couple, slippers, bigger balcony, secured locked, the rooms were cleaned really good, standing showers, 2 sinks, fridge, in short it's very good rooms

- i love the room service, faster, about 15-30 minutes, if it's busier, less than an hour.

- quiet resort, good for honeymooners,

- beautiful beach, more than enough beach chairs for everyone, not crowded

- more swimming pools, some pool are really private, no limitation for beach towels, i remembered in Grand Bahia, you need a card to give to get 1 towel

- don't have any bracelet to wear, everyone is equal, all inclusive

- you can rent free dvd movies

- food is awesome

- free wifi whether you're in the room, lobby, and beach. i was able to post online daily. haha

- love the view at The Deck during the day

- staff is very helpful, friendly, accommodating, and we have concierge in each villa which is very helpful

- i love that they have high tea area from 4 PM -5:30 PM, someone is playing music for you in the background, gave you dessert, it's very romantic and relaxing

- i love that it's not crowded, we can get our own gazebo without problem

- games are fun too - volleyball, bingo, pingpong, pool aerobics, etc.

- i went to their gym and spa room, looks amazing, great dry sauna and steam

- we didn't get a chance to have a massage this time, unlike with the 2x we came to Mexico, but i've talked to 3 of my friends that got their massage that time, said it was the best massage and they loved it!

- the resort itself is clean, amazing, and beautiful

- even at the beach, the staff are very helpful and fast

- I've talked to other guests in the resorts and they said it's their 8th time on this Resort, which tells me they have great experience ;-)

- i like Las Ventannas and Azia restaurant Hibachi Grill, luxurious restaurants, you get to dress up nicely.. this can be good or not coz they have dress code

- although there's many of us that came, they did amazing handling all our requests

- near the market 5th avenue, less than 10 min ride, you can actually walk from the resort to the market about 20 mins.

Cons -
- depending on how you look at it, but this resort is really for relaxing, not a lot of entertainments at night, compared to different resort, i love the one we stayed last Feb 2014 at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum bcoz they have nightly shows like Elvis Presley, Dancing, Magic Show, Michael Jackson, etc.. so each night that we were there, we are not bored at that resort, but for Royal Hideaway, after dinner, there's not much to do, out of 5 nights we stayed there, we just had 1 karaoke night and 1 dance night at the same bar.. so really most of us in a group, doesnt know what to do. some had to go out of the resort at 11 pm to go somewhere to have more parties. So if you're looking for entertainment nightly, this is not the resort for you.

- only 1 buffet Spices during breakfast and 1 alacarte during breakfast (the grill/the Deck), for lunch, only 2 restaurants are open Spices and The Grill and sometimes they have another lunch location at the pool area for grilled fish, etc which is awesome. although there's a lot of alacarte dinners in this resort which i like, there's about 5 restaurants during night time you can choose from Azia, Las Ventannas, Palazzo, Spices, and The Grill, I think it's best if they can add more variety during morning and lunch. But the best part is there's room service also. Unlike with other resorts, they don't have International buffets.

- some restaurants are slow but not really a big deal if you can wait

- no shuttle transfers from the airport and to the airport

- 45 minutes from the airport

Will I go back? Yes definitely just to relax and unwind.
Thanks Royal Hideaway!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Roxanne O,

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us at Royal Hideaway Playacar. We really appreciate it.

We are very pleased to know that one more time you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff will be very happy to know about it. Your words are the best incentive for us to improve our service and get better.

It is nice to read that you are already familiar with the services, installations, restaurants, activities and staff at Royal Hideaway Playacar.
Your review and opinion is very important for us but also for our readers and future visitors as well.

Let us know when you are coming back so we can set up everything in advance for you.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I will begin by stating that this was our third visit to Royal Hideaway. Our first time, was November 2004 for our honeymoon, the second time was October/November 2005 for our Babymoon/1st Anniversary and our third time was this month, for our 10 year anniversary.

For years and years, my husband and I have told friends and family about the RH and how amazing the resort, food, staff, etc, were. We couldn't wait to go back, but as an adult only resort, and us having a child, it was not something we could just pick up and do. For our 10th anniversary, my husband surprised me with a week at RH and I couldn't be happier....

I must say, this trip was not as impressive as the first two. First, the rooms and resort exterior needed some cosmetic work. Nothing too drastic, but definitely a good paint job in the very least. Second, they might be short staffed, but one thing that stood out to us in our first 2 visits was the quick service we received poolside with drinks, concierge service beyond compare, and everyone's willingness to make us happy.

This time not so much... We had a pool bed/cabana, right next to the Grille every day; And most of the time that we wanted drinks, we had to get up and walk over to the bar - Even though we generously tipped $10 USD per round and asked the staff several times to stop by our cabana for drinks. It almost seemed as if they avoided walking by us - as I couldn't even flag someone down. It may seem like a little inconvenience - However, we were there to relax and be pampered - Not have to chase down servers and get up to stand in line for a drink at the bar (this I could do at home).

The food was average. I must say that all of the food was very salty and there was a severe lack of chocolate on every restaurant's menu. We tried every restaurant, and I looked at all of the menus trying to find something ooey-gooey chocolate-ly for dessert... But I was at a loss. All of the chocolate-flavored items were only chocolate-ish and very tiny (like the chocolate sushi at Azia - I could hardly call it a chocolate dessert, it was quite frankly terrible, and we could not eat it).

On the second day, the cleaning crew tossed out a pile of papers which probably looked like trash - but it included our return car service receipt, my husband's VISA, and some receipts. As a result, we had to pay a $30 fee at the airport and wait on line at immigration to get a new VISA.

The concierge seemed very green. Despite our $25 tip at check in and rour only request was that he bring us the book of excursions and keep our room refrigerator be stocked with 6 bottled water at all times, we constantly ran out, and only when we reminded him, would he go and get additional water.... We never saw the book of excursions either (and we asked several times). He also promised to have our airline boarding passes printed for our day of departure, but they never were and we were waiting in the lobby at check out waiting and waiting (he said he was coming)- But, the Concierge never showed up with them... Overall, he was a nice kid, but no way should be a "Concierge"... Perhaps a waiter?

During a VIP cocktail party hosted by the management team, it was announced that the RH would be spending about $1 million USD on renovations this year. I am thinking that unless they spend some of that on staff training, the cosmetic fixes would not be enough to bring us back. We anticipated making this an annual trip, now that pour daughter is old enough to stay with family while we travel - but I am not convinced that RH really values its repeat customers, since the team seemed so indifferent to us. and perhaps to all of the guests. Only time and positive review by others would give us cause to give RH another chance. At $400+/night, there are many other places in Playa to choose from.

Room Tip: Villas are 2-3 stories with no elevator service. If you have trouble walking stairs, you should ask...
Dear Ellenoh,

Thank you for sharing a detailed review about your recent stay with us at Royal Hideaway Playacar.

Your review and opinion is very important for us; we take all the feedback that is given to us very seriously, it helps us to improve constantly our services.
We are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us.

Our staff is our backbone; we have an extraordinarily high rate of return visitors, mainly because of our beautiful resort and top quality in our services, and last but not least, our qualified employees. Our outstanding reputation speaks by itself.

We are working already on your suggestions and once again, thank you for your time and feedback.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Royal Hideaway Playacar

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!