I planned a last-minute trip to Mexico, and chose Royal Hideaway Playacar after reading Trip Advisor and seeing so many positive reviews. From the moment I arrived at RHP, I knew I had chosen the right resort.
At check-in, I was welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine and given a place to sit. Within minutes, I was all checked in, and on my way to The Deck for lunch. After lunch, I went to my villa and met my concierge, Roberto. Roberto quickly made my dinner reservations, then showed me to my room. The bellhop had already delivered my bags, and my room was clean, cool, and just lovely. I have stayed at other resorts where check-in took well over an hour, but at RHP, within about an hour, I was checked in, ate lunch, planned dinner, and was on the beach.
I had never stayed at a resort with a concierge before, and I was amazed at how nice it was to have one. Roberto made sure I had everything I needed for my vacation, and throughout the week he checked in with me to ask if everything was to my liking. When I checked in, I had told him that I was on vacation to celebrate my new job and my birthday, and to my surprise, one day I came back from the beach and my room was decorated with balloons, and that night at dinner I was presented with a birthday cake. It was such a sweet gesture, and really made me feel special.
RHP is a small resort, which is part of why I chose it. I was traveling solo and thought that a smaller resort would be a better choice. I was right. Within the first day, many of the staff were greeting me by name, and the waiters and bartenders at The Deck knew what drinks I liked and throughout the week would often bring me one before I even ordered! Not only is the staff friendly, but the guests at this resort are very friendly, too. Even though I was traveling alone, I was never lonely because I always had someone to talk to. Being at such a nice and friendly resort promotes a relaxed and friendly atmosphere among the guests, I believe.
The restaurants and dining at RHP are the finest I've ever had at any resort. For breakfast, the options were either the buffet at Spices or ala carte service at The Deck. I went to the buffet one morning and it was quite good with every sort of breakfast food you could want, but the other mornings I went to The Deck so I could sit at a table overlooking the ocean as I ate breakfast. The Eggs Benedict and Huevos Rancheros were my favorites, along with the Greek yogurt parfait. And of course the cafe con leche and mimosas!
For lunch, I went to The Deck every day. The Tacos de Carnitas and Baja Fish Tacos were excellent, and the scallop ceviche was excellent, too. There's an extensive lunch menu, with things like burgers and sandwiches, but I stuck with things that I can't easily get at home. At home I can have a burger any time I want, but only at RHP can I get a scallop ceviche to eat while looking out at the perfect turquoise blue ocean.
For dinner, I enjoyed all of the restaurants that RHP had to offer. I really liked that each night you can go to a different restaurant while there, and you're not stuck just going to a buffet, as many resorts do. Each restaurant was great in its own way, but Ventanas was my favorite. The cuisine there is unique and just wonderful. But really, all of the restaurants are excellent, and the staff is very attentive. At each meal, they will ask if you have any food allergies, and they will greet you by name as well.
I'm a beach person, and spent most of my time during the day at the beach. They have little canvas shelters for the lounge chairs so you can have some shade, and the staff will help you set it up. The waiters come around very often to ask if you'd like a drink or a snack. The infinity pool is also very lovely, and very relaxing to just float in it while looking out at the ocean. RHP has one of the nicest beaches I've ever been to -- perfect warm blue water, and perfect white sand.
I was so sad when I had to leave RHP and I can't wait until I can plan another trip there. Now that I've been to the perfect resort, I don't think I can go to any others! I would recommend this resort to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico