I chose this resort based on other reviews from TripAdvisor. This resort was perfect for us. We were looking for something low key and relaxing and that's exactly what we got.
The most important thing for me is the beach - the water is light blue and clear and the sand is white powder - gorgeous. You are able to walk for miles along the beach and see the other resorts and condos and can see Cozumel in the distance. On this side of the island, you will have to get up early to see the sunrise as you cannot see the sunset, but still worth it.
The pools were great as well. You could be in a very secluded pool and not see anyone all day long or choose one of the main pools and socialize or just relax. There was plenty of seating and umbrellas at the pools as well as the beach.
The room was clean. Really nothing special but comfortable and decent. Some of the restaurants were good, some were okay. Our favorite was the wine pairing dinner that is offered on Friday nights at Venzano (not included but only $35 per person). The sommelier was very knowledgeable and the chef created a special pairing meal. There were seven total bottles of wine at the dinner amongst the seven people that were there, so for $35, it was actually a really good deal.
The Grill was really good for lunch. They had a few different ceviches that were great and the fish tacos were very flavorful. The other restaurants were okay. Each dish was kind of hit or miss, but because it's all-inclusive, you can order multiple dishes and find something you like.
We didn't have any issues with reservations as other people have mentioned, but we were okay with eating at 9:30 a couple of nights. The wait staff and hosts/ hostesses were all very friendly and polite. Some of the service took a little longer than we are used to, but we were there to relax anyway.
As others have mentioned, don't go there if you want to party - things shut down pretty early. I would highly recommend this resort and would go back in a heart beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, LHW, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Splendia, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico