“One of my best vacations ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Ranked #15 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Staten Island, New York
“One of my best vacations ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just got back from a 5 day stay at the Royal Hideaway. This was one of the best vacations I have been on in a long time. Food was great, the service was fantastic. The employees could not do enough for you. The beach and ocean was gorgeous and the pools were well maintained. Our concierge Hector could not do enough for us. I would highly recommend this establishment to my friends and family. Would definately go back again. My only one complaint about this vacation is that the pillow are to soft and small.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
RoyalHideaway1, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Sheila710,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments regarding your most recent stay with us. We are more than glad to read you found our accommodation to your satisfaction and that you were pleased with our location.

About your pillows remark we shared with our Housekeeping department, please feel free to contact to our customer service prior your next visit, we will happy to assist you for special requests. cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Polish first
Playa del carmen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed 9 days at this resort for a joint 50th birthday.bedrooms fantastic but bathrooms could do with updating,I would advise you to make dinner reservations prior to your arrival.westayed in blocks 22 and 23 which were ideally positioned,our concierge in 22 was marco who was very helpful. Staff overall are very friendly and cannot do enough for you especially Sergio,Christian,Isis,Jose,Bernardo,Miguel,jacket.restaurants ,food and entertainment brilliant.i would recommend to buy mosquito spray off which is sold in shop in reception.beware you should ask for wine by the glass ,not by the bottle otherwise they will charge you.

Room Tip: Room 2219 and 2319r
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Paula S,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stays at Royal Hideaway and congratulations for your birthday. We appreciate your wonderful review and will pass along the nice compliments to our staff. Thank you for mentioning the excellent service you received during your stay, we work hard make sure that every guest is pampered.

Please regard that the beverages, the extra cost applies if you ask for a bottle of wine or liquor, but if you call to room service and ask for drinks, they will delivery by cups/glasses to your room without a charge.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We have stayed at this resort many times Very private and secured gate to main street...........The management has recently changed and we noticed some modifications in overall thrust of the facility. The amenity tote, or hat.........removed, flower arrangements in main building, scaled down, new people serving, only one luggage cart.....which was inoperable during our stay.........

The food remained excellent, and the food and beverage assistant was impeccable , the suites spacious, and the grounds well manicured. The comp/inclusive wine selection was better than previous visits........we had recommended an upgrade last year when we stayed. Close to transportation, and a small strip mall within walking distance. About a 45 min to 1 hour drive from cancun airport........pricey transfers available.........independently or thru the resort concierge.
The beach is completely restored and the access is great. Good margaritas and a wide selection of beverages. Dr. Renee' and Herb, MO

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WORLDTRAVELER_007_11,

We are always pleased to hear about our guests experiences at our property. Thank you for the time you took to send us your review.

Thanks for mentioning the service our staff provided, that is what we think makes our resort really special. And we do hope that you will come again for another stay with us.

Hersham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We really cannot say enough in praise of this hotel.
The staff were all very attentive and would do anything to make your stay even more enjoyable.
The management must invest time in their staff and this shows for example every dish served at your table was fully described by the waiter.
The staff were happy to serve and never imposed either,
Everyone dressed up for dinner making every night special.

The food was outstanding in our opinion among the best we have tasted, every meal a fine dining experience.

The facilities were excellent, every villa having a concierge who was there daily to assist with any needs. The main pools were lovely and we never struggled to get a suitable bed all of which were very comfortable and clean. There was also smaller pools dotted around with Jacuzzis and providing private areas if you wanted more privacy.
The surroundings were beautifully laid out, very relaxing atmosphere created by the nice planting and water features. The beach was all golden sand and very clean and the beds provided were of a high quality.
The room had everything you needed and room service excellent.
Special attention to detail and special touches that make your holiday complete!

We found the entertainment adequate during the day and at night.
You can take part in activities if you choose around the pool but there is no pressure and we found the entertainers to be very good.

The Aqua Show was one of the highlights for us. The Theatre and Dinner show was also excellent and a must do.

Dear 741Barry,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review. We will pass along your kind words to our entire staff. We try hard to make each guest feel at home at Royal Hideaway and so we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us. We do hope to see you again to create lifetime memories.

We hope you come back very soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My sister and I took our mom to celebrate her 80th birthday Oct 8-12, 2013. I chose this resort because of previous ratings. We were very please with the attentiveness of the staff, cleanliness of the rooms,resort and food. The beach is clean and the view is spectacular. Breakfast at Spices and lunch at the deck were always delicious, we always had ocean view - beautiful!
My mom really enjoyed her time there and that was really important to us.

The only disappointment was and this had nothing to do with the Hotel. I booked our complete stay hotel, transfers and airfare with Bookit. When we arrived to the Hotel bookit NEVER paid the hotel portion...what a headache. I had to pay the hotel again, once I arrived to the states bookit refunded me the Hotel portion. I will never utilize Bookit again.

I would recommend this resort to anyone that would like to rest, eat wonderful food and receive great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Military09,

Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your mom’s birthday even more for sends us your kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything outstanding. We are glad that you were happy with all the services that our staffing provided you.

We wish you all the best and hope that you will come back soon celebrate other important dates.

Westminster, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I went to the Royal Hideaway for our honeymoon because we heard it was one of the best in Riviera Maya and it is a five-diamond resort and I'll just say I expected more from them because of their famous rating. As an opener, my wife is 17 weeks pregnant and she has a severe latex allergy. We arrived and it was very nice. They greeted us with glasses of champagne (which I had both) and took our bags to our room for us. The room was nice with a large bathroom and the grounds were very well kept; they maintain them religiously every day. We stayed for 7 nights which was more than enough time.

There are several restaurants at the resort and they were all very nice and the food was all gourmet and delicious, the type of restaurants that would normally cost an arm and a leg to eat at but was all "free" because the resort is all-inclusive. Nothing stranger than eating at a 4-diamond restaurant and then getting up and leaving without a check being presented to you. The restaurants were amazing. Our favorite was Tea Time, which was open for two hours every afternoon. It was nice and relaxing. There was one restaurant we were never able to set foot in however. The Club Royale dinner theater had two shows while we were there but they insisted on filling the entrance and theater with hundreds of balloons. My wife has such a bad latex allergy, if one popped, she'd end up in the ER. Not a single person at the resort even knew what a latex allergy was or would take us seriously when we tried to explain it. So when the theater had a show, we could only eat at one restaurant. Out of six, we could only do one! Why? Because not all are always open and two have entrances right by the theater. The theater was the one thing we were really looking forward to and we couldn't go because of their love of balloons. Also a strong word of CAUTION, if you are anaphylactic to latex, make sure they do not have balloons in your hotel room when you arrive as they love to do that too for certain occasions.

The beach was lovely and the fact that the resort was adults only was one of the best parts of the whole place. The resort is sandwiched between two others but the only way you'd really notice is by swimming in the ocean or by hearing the occasional loud spring break type music from next door. Not having that was relaxing. In addition to the wonderful beach and turquoise blue ocean waters, they have several pools throughout the grounds, most of which are typically vacant and somewhat private. Along the beach property, there are bar staff always walking around making sure you have a drink. The weather was almost always predictable, with the occasional rain storm (when it rains there it pours). We are from Colorado so it is typically dry and Riviera Maya is extremely humid. The only place we could escape the humidity was our room. The restaurants had some dehumidifier capabilities though.

When we arrived, we took advantage of the room service and they were very good...to start. Every time we ordered food, they said it would take 25-30 minutes. The first two times, it came in 25-30 minutes and the food was good. Unfortunately, that's where it began to go seriously wrong. One of our days there we had booked an excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha which took all day. We had to meet our bus at 7:10am so we ordered breakfast before-hand with enough time for it to get to our room and eat. Remember, my wife is pregnant and food is vital for her. We ordered, they said it would arrive in 25 minutes and it never came. We had to catch our bus. We went half the day in the hot, humid sun, walking around the ruins with no food. My wife was on the verge of passing out because she had eaten nothing. I was furious at room service. The next day, I complained to our concierge about them and he sent messages and emails to them about it. Later we found their staff waiting by our room (God knows for how long) with a cake that said "Happy Honeymoon." A few days later, I was still hesitant on ordering from Room Service but my wife insisted we give them another chance. So, we ordered breakfast again and they said it would take 25 minutes. It took 50 minutes to arrive and it wasn't even correct. I had had enough. I complained again to our concierge and, from what I gathered from his conversation with the Room Service manager, the manager didn't seem to care until I told him I wanted to speak with the manager's superior if he didn't care and that if he didn't care, he is in the wrong business. Very soon thereafter, the Room Service manager met me at my room and I had to complain to him about the amount of time it took to get food and that we never even got our food before our excursion. I told him my wife is pregnant and because of his carelessness, she almost fainted at the ruins. I had to chew out the Room Service manager, at a 5-diamond resort! And unsurprisingly, we received a cake from them literally saying "sorry" on it. I know they tried to make it up but the damage had already been done.

Now, I want to give the most positive credit to our Concierge Hector Medina. Though I had to explain to him very clearly exactly what a latex allergy is, how dangerous a single balloon popping is, and how upset we were about them choosing balloons over the guests' needs, he did a good job helping me with the Room Service problem and trying to help us the best he could. He even made dinner reservations for us on our last night (we were busy) so we would have somewhere to eat. A concierge is the go-to person for any questions or problems and each villa (each villa contains a dozen or so separate rooms) has one, so he had to deal with not only us but all others in the villa. Take advantage of your concierge and Hector deserves a raise for what he had to deal with from us.

We did take advantage of the spa. Their prices are competitive and being a 5-diamond resort, are along the lines of going to the spa at the MGM Grand in Vegas as far as prices go. If you have the MyTime perks, each individual gets a $50 spa credit which was great. My wife got a prenatal and I got a hot stone massage. They were very good and I recommend anybody to try the spa.

One last problem we had. If you plan on sleeping in during your stay, UNHOOK YOUR PHONES. Almost every morning as early as 7am, you will get calls about almost anything and the phones are a pain. They work only sometimes so when the phone rings and you pick up the phone, nothing happens and the call is disconnected. So what happens? They keep calling you. We really did end up unhooking all three phones in our room just to get some sleep.

This has been a very lengthy review so I will summarize the pros and cons.

Pros:
All-Inclusive, which means "free" liquor and essentially all you can eat gourmet food
Beach and pools
Rooms (with AC and dehumidifiers!)
General Service
Spa
Restaurants
Concierge service

Cons:
Phones are bad and constant calls
Room Service
Latex allergies are unkown to them (or the region), so tell them NO BALLOONS!!!
Housekeeping will let themselves in if you're preoccupied and the "do not disturb" sign isn't up
Hard to find places that actually take Pesos in Mexico

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RoyalHideaway1, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Chris C,

Thank you, for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. On behalf of the management and staff of Royal Hideaway we would like to apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Our culinary team prides itself on delivering a memorable Food and Beverage experience at the resort and will be taking your feedback extremely seriously about the lack of service you encountered by Room Service, we assure you it will not happen again.

We completely understand the importance of allergies; actually we have a preference and cares list for our repetitive guests. We shared your comments with our management, and currently we are looking into ways to provide the general information of allergies and first cares to our staffing. For your next trip we suggest you send an email to avoid any situation.

Thank you, for your positive statement regarding our staff, pools and grounds. We truly hope that you will give us another chance to exceed your expectation. Don’t hesitate to contact our Customer service when you are ready to make a reservation and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Snohomish, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We returned from the Royal Hideaway Playacar and can not wait to plan our next vacation back. We were pleased with the cleanliness, professional staff and wonderful food. The staff spoke English very well and could not do enough to please us.

We were there for one week (October 2013).

We can't thank you (Staff) enough. GRACIAS!

Dear Laurie T,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit. We are proud to read that you had a wonderful visit and got to experience almost all aspects of the hotel, including our facilities, our services and everything, our concierge services team were able to assist and pampered to you during your stay. It is always a delight to read reviews such as yours.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon.

Sincerely

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!