We returned for our second visit to this property last month. We had a lovely relaxing week and knew what to expect: a quiet property with a great beach and good quality food. This resort definitely skews to an older demographic, forties and older (think Oceania Cruises). There were some younger couples too, but most are middle-aged.
Perhaps because it was our second visit, we looked at things a little more critically. The food was still good, but the breakfast restaurant is very disorganized in the morning and sometimes the wait was long, even with empty tables throughout. The house wines, though drinkable, need improvement. The "champagne" is a Mexican sparkling white. Why not offer a Spanish wine?
The beach and pool service was attentive and nothing is ever too much trouble. There are some great lunch offerings by the pool each day.
Tea in the afternoon is a nice touch, but the area was understaffed. There was one server trying to cover too many tables. The tea sandwiches and pastries were not as good as I remembered them from last year.
Dinner is the main event of the day and did not disappoint. We did not have one bad meal and service was excellent in every restaurant.
Though the outside bar/lounge is a nice place to congregate after dinner, this resort really could benefit from another option. The Ventanas bar is beautiful but closes at 11 pm. It would be nice to have another option apart from Allegria. Something near the beach would be nice.
This is not the place to go if you are looking for activity or entertainment. That suits many of us, but others may find it too quiet. We checked out the Royal one afternoon. It was more lively but did not have the same elegant and relaxed atmosphere.
Will we return? Probably. This is the first resort we have ever returned to the following year and we did not regret it. That being said, there are many resort options in the Mayan Riviera and we may consider another one next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Splendia, Priceline, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico