I choose this hotel for the choice of restaurants (5). Mexican was mostly closed and the one night we did go to it the room was very cold so not very enjoyable. We were there 2 weeks so it got a bit tiring having to anticipate choice and time of where we wanted to eat 3-4 nights ahead. I would have preferred to have one restaurant that was more casual that you didn't have to book even if it had to be a buffet. Particularly for the first night and if we had been out for a day's sight seeing. As we were there for 2 weeks the menu in the 4 restaurants need to either have more choice or be rotated each week. Probably more suitable to one week stay.
Also I didn't like having to queue for breakfast for 10-15 minutes even for an inside table. There was a second breakfast restaurant open a few of the days but it was a la carte only with not enough choice for me but my husband enjoyed the grandness of it and the poached eggs. Food in general was very good but not excellent. Portions absolutely fine. In many ways lunch was even better than dinner - more varied with a lovely barbecue some days. Just expected the restaurants to be a bit better with more choice on the menu and greater availability for booking.
Beach perfect - lovely sand, always a bed available, peaceful as no games or children, and regular drink service if required. Good beach towels from 8 in the morning. Afternoon tea was nice - I had a lovely Mexican coffee.
Very good choice and availability of drinks on the all-inclusive.
We used the bikes which was fun, but they were a bit basic for a quality hotel (but seemed similar to other rental bikes around). Nevertheless we enjoyed cycling the 10 quick minutes into Playa del Carmen several times and we were able to stop off at the local Mayan ruins on the way.
Rooms were very lovely - spacious with good walk in shower as well as a bath. Concierge always friendly and helpful, as were all staff throughout.
Took a taxi from the hotel to Tulum who waited for us - can't remember the price but was worth it.
As it is all-inclusive I found it awkward that many people still tipped at each service of drinks or meal. I prefer to tip at the end of my stay to a pot that is split among all workers, and to specific people such as the room cleaners. All-inclusive should take away the need to carry money but others tipping around us made it less relaxing. Happy to tip at the end.
Used the Spa which was very expensive and not value for money. Husband had head and back massage which was ok but not great, and my reflexology was not at all reflexology - just a nice foot massage and definitely not worth the money. We should have gone into town instead.
Good free wifi throughout even on the beach.
In general we were happy with our choice as the beach was perfect and quieter than the surrounding hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inlcusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico