“The Good and The Bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

Save Saved
You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Special Price
Rates from $217!
Ranked #13 of 197 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Mountain View, California
“The Good and The Bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hightlights

1) Beautiful Grounds and a very nice functional room, wet bar all
inclusive was nice touch. They knew it was our anniversary so they
prepared a nice bath and decorated the room.

2) Overall food and drink quality was high

3) The Beach is the best in Playa Del Carmen.

4) Never too crowded despite being there in a peak season. Always a
table available.

5) Location was 20 minutes walk to 5th Ave. in Playa Del Carmen

Lowlights

1) Its a 55+ kinda joint

2) Service at the front desk was slow and left a little to be desired

3) Spa services were very pricey

4) The Club Royale show was absolutely atrocious

5) The hot tubs weren't that hot and the pool wasn't heated.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

2,292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Royal Hideaway is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in and I travel extensively and stay at top rate hotels. The facilities were gorgeous and the staff was exceptional. When you arrive at the main building you are greeted upon check in with a glass of champagn. Checking in easy and you are given your room assignment. The rooms are spread out over the hotel grounds in two story buildings which have approximately 10 rooms. Each building has its own concierge. The walk though the grounds to get to your room, the beach or pool is about as romantic as you'll ever find with small bridges, fountains and lush grounds. The hotel is all inclusive and you have a choice of several restaurants which are all amazing. No matter how much you try you cannot have a bad time at this resort. If you're looking for a romantic resort where the ambience, food, service is par excellence don't even hesitate or look anywhere else cause it just doesn't get better than this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor have a better view but there are no elevators so you have to climb a flight o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It was divine......great service......good food......but almost too "upscale". When on vacation it would be nice to not have a formal dinner reservation every night, but as an option be able to go to a causal restaurant in your dressy shorts and have a light dinner. Especially on the night you arrive and you are disoriented and dead tired. I believe that every resort should have a bar by the pool or near the lobby, with bar stools to sit and chat and have a casual drink with other guests. The only entertainment during the day was a few staff members and a couple of guests singing "Love Is In The Air", which became pretty tired by day three. PS - they need good pillows rather than lots of teeny, tiny ones.

Needs a little tweaking!

Nitely entertainment was minimal

Room Tip: We were in the back forty. There are only three buildings close to the beach, pool that are worthy...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Hideawy over the Christmas period, I did research the hotel prior to booking it. I think our disappointment is a personal opinion in this case.
Arrived at the hotel the lobby was a little different, very old fashioned we had a private transfer so there was only the 2 of us but had to wait 15 minutes to check in as there was only one person there and they were dealing with a couple who I think were complaining about something, not a big deal.
Room was clean and basic nice but nothing spectacular there is definally room for improvement for the money paid.
Breakfast was served in a great location pretty much on the beach so great foods, service as excellent for first 4 days the last 3 a little slower maybe due to more people arriving due to Christmas. Lunch on the deck again pretty much on the beach was a great location, same menu every day which toward the end getting a little tiring especially if you are a chicken and salad type person.
Restaurants were pretty good, service in all dinner restaurants was excellent, by far exceeded my expectations.
Christmas Eve dinner was the worst I have ever had, the show at the Theatre was ok, the Christmas dinner was a choice of seabass or Turkey, we both ordered turkey it was terrible it was a slice of turkey roll stuffed with I have no idea what it was but left a nasty taste to the turkey even after you scraped it out, some other stuffing thing on the side and puree potato.
Room service great only ordered once but decent menu and timely.
Beach was lovely kept very clean, pool was spotless ther isn't a swim up bar but there is a bar at the side of the pool.
It is a very quiet resort both during the day and evenings, there isn't a lobby bar but a small bar Allegria (i think it was called) where you can sit outside they do have entertainment but not until 10pm there is nothing prior to keep you going, needless to say we never made the entertainment so can't comment.
Overall review,
Very clean, excellent service, on a great beach, clean pool, decent food, very quiet, (I like some quietness but this was too quiet) I found it way overpriced we paid for 1 week from Toronto $3200 per person.
Still a nice resort but not for us, I for sure prefer secrets maroma, Excellence Playa Mujereles and the Iberostar grand.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We holidayed here 24 November 2012 - 8 December 2012. Having done LOTS of research on the internet we finally chose the Royal Hideaway for our 2 week break. Not fans of All Inculsive resorts we realised that in Mexico its pretty much the rule. We did not expect the food here to be as superb as it is. Every single restaurant serves amazing food. We regularly dine out here in London so have fairly high expectations but can honestly say the food at RH was truly delicious, fresh and wonderfully presented. Along with the fabulous food came great service. On occassion when the restaurants were busy the service slowed a little, but this just allowed us a little more time to rest between each fabulous course. Staff were attentive, warm and incredibly professional - and this was at all times of the day! Jesus the "Captain" who runs the breakfast and lunch restaurants (Spices and The Grill) is brilliant. Engaging, friendly and efficient. He runs a tight, happy and professional ship - all his waiters/staff are efficient, friendly and courteous. Truly first class service.
The staff in general are fabulous. We stayed in Casita 24 where our concierge Hector couldn't do enough for us. He was excellent. He even helped my partner organise a surprise for my birthday with flowers and balloons in our room. Nothing was too much bother for him and he did it all with a smile.
The hotel itself is large enough without being one of those soul-less monstrosities which you often encounter in "resort" destinations. The gym was small but well equipped. The spa was a little expensive but worth treating yourself to. The choice of restaurants was good; although do make sure you book as soon as the reservations open on Saturday (for the week) as not to disappoint. The few bars they have are small but if you're there for a relaxing holiday then they are more than adequate.
The beach is fabulous. Beautiful white sands, turquoise clear waters and no children. The waiter/beach service on the beach makes it even more special. If you can drag yourself away from the beach then Monica in the travel centre can help organise some excursions. She was incredibly friendly and helpful - definitely no hard sell. The three trips we went on during our stay were definitely worth leaving the beach for and definitely worth the money (snorkelling in Akumal with turtles, baracuda and a huge variety of fish was just stunning).
The only slight negative was the other guests but this was towards the end of our stay, when a few groups of American tourist arrived. They were loud, brash and often rude to the staff. The Royal hideaway has a relaxing, exclusive intimate vibe about it. They obviously had booked the wrong hotel as they were wanting a party atmosphere 24/7. It didn't ruin our stay as it was the last three days of our holiday.
That said, we had a truly fabulous relaxing time; great weather, food and first class service made this such a memorable holiday.
(one thing to note is that the sun rises early and sets very early too - around 6pm. The sun loses its intensity from about 4pm. So if you love the sunshine/heat like me you struggle after 4pm. We were told that in 2013 the government has agreed to put the clocks back to help remedy this)

Room Tip: Our room was 2425 which was closest to the sea with a side balcony that had a sea view which we didn...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I would like to start by saying that the hotel is beautiful, the rooms great, and the food excellent! Having said that, our vacation lost some of it's luster do the the surprisingly poor service that we experienced our entire week. I had stayed at somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen high end resorts/hotels in the Riviera Maya area, and one thing that has always been consistent is the amazing service. I think everyone will understand what I am speaking about. You know how when after a couple of days during your stay, when you come back to your room, that it has many things in there that you have asked for during your first couple of days? For example, we drink quite a bit of water. We had to call every day to ask for 6-8 bottles of water, and never once did they restock our room. Annoying! Plus, every day we had to call to ask for fruit in our room. Annoying! How hard after a day or two of requesting this, is it to supply our room each day without having to make a call? Every resort in the past it was always done that way. How about reservations for dinner each night: Every night we would request a time between 7:00- 8:00 PM. We were told only only 6:00 PM or after 9:00 PM! The first time I asked our concierge to special request a 7:30 PM time and after much ado was able to make it happen. Low and behold when we got to the restaurant, it was empty! This happened every night we were there, why??? Finally our person concierge did not call the travel agency to arrange departing transfers and they ended up calling me. We requested a late checkout of a measly one hour, and when he never got back to me, I called personally to the front desk. They gave us our request, however when walking by our concierge later on he vehemently said they could not do the late checkout. We said they already gave it to us. As many of you can imagine and probably know from experience that Mexico fine hotels never are like this, and I hope this is a one time situation for us, but it really took away from our total experience of what otherwise was a great hotel experience.

Room Tip: Request third floor for the high ceilings!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

For the first time, my family of 3 adult boys, a mother-in-law and my wife decided to go away for Christmas week. We chose Royal Hideaway after getting a recommendation from someone who has stayed before. I must say that the entire experience was wonderful, and although not perfect, I still give the resort my highest rating. The room decore is slightly dated, but they are spotlessly clean, with an abundance of towels, comfortable bed, nice linens, and good bathroom amenities. The bathrooms are modern, with a nice walk in shower and large tub. Housekeeping did a nearly perfect job in keeping the room to our liking. Our room was an ocean front room and had a large porch with plenty of chairs for my entire family to sit when they decided to come by my room.
The pools were very nice, although there is a slight seagull problem in the infinity pool, that is they liked it as much as the guests do. There is a second pool 10 feet away from the infinity pool which for whatever reason did not attract the birds. We chose to sit around this pool. The service poolside was incredible. The attendent probably stopped by every 10 minutes to see if there was anything the family needed. If there was some food that I wanted that was not on the menu, the waiter would make an effort to have it prepared. The drinks, although sometimes a little too diluted for me, were good just the same. My boys would wisely request a double if they ordered a margarita for example, and that seem to solve the weak drink problem. At the end of a long day of incredible service by the same poolside waiter, I was inclined to give him a tip, although certainly not required. The tip was most appreciated, but I must say that at no time did I feel intimidated or feel that I had to give anyone a tip.
There are about 5 or 6 different restaurants at the resort, including an international cuisine, Japanese, Italian, Mexican, and a steak place. None of them ever served an incredible meal, but the food was still acceptable. The weakest part of the dinners was always the house wine (the free stuff). It was fair at best, and if you wanted to upgrade to a better wine, it was too expensive for what you got, so I stuck with the house wine.
Afternoon tea is a high tea and excellent.
My family went into town, Playa del Carmen on a few occasions, and felt very safe at any hour. The food at some of the restaurants in town was good, and pretty inexpensive.
Royal Hideaway for my family was an excellent choice. It is quiet and probably after a week or so, might get to be a little boring, but for me, the week we were there was just what I needed. Escape from the rush of Christmas and total relaxation.

Room Tip: There are basically four locations of rooms, pool view, ociean view, ocean front and garden view. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!