“Best resort ever!!! if you are looking for quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Hideaway Playacar

You added Royal Hideaway Playacar to your Saves list
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Lote Hotelero No. 6 Fracc., Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico (Formerly Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Resorts)   |
Ranked #14 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Montreal, Canada
“Best resort ever!!! if you are looking for quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed for 7 days at the RHP in the fall of 2012 and enjoyed it Immensely. I won't write a long review but if you are a couple looking for a small quiet resort, this is it. I have stayed in many 5 stars resorts and this one is THE one for me. DO NOT look for entertainment on this resort, you will have peaceful, romantic. Crowd is mostly couples, 30 ish and older.

From arrival to departure top notch service. Food was great, beach awesome, pools, room, everything was clean and perfect. The fact that amazed me most is that on day 2, restaurants and bar employees would remember my name, my drinks, asked if I wanted a cappuccino again for breakfast, etc... And on vacation, I am social but more the quiet type with my book... Not the outgoing talking to everybody kind of guy....

To have a waiter come to the far end of the beach every 15 minutes to make sure I had all I wanted with a smile, it was almost too much service. Not that they were bothersome, au contraire, it was just surprising that this level of service existed in all inclusive resorts.

We enjoyed a lobster dinner on the beach one night, absolutely gorgeous, service as always out of this world, food delicious.

Beach was soft white sand, water clear blue, perfect. Room on the small side but had all we needed and a very comfortable bed. About 30 minute walk to playa del Carmen by the beach. Infinity pool was nice, nothing fancy but enjoyed it every day after spending the day on the beach.

Came back rested, relaxed, pampered. i enjoyed it so much It is the first time that I want to go back to a resort. Many people are repeat customers and once you have experienced it, you can understand why.

LOVED IT and will probably be back soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear staben

What a review! We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful stay with us! Our goal is to provide personalized service to all of our guests and to make them feel at home. Our guests are like family.
We invite you to contact our customer service manager at services@mx.occidentalhotels.com to help assist with your next stay frofor dinner reservations, reservations at The Chef´s Table, golf, and much more .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Despite the mixed reviews I found this resort to be just what the doctor ordered, a nice relaxing vacation in the sun. Though, I would not stay more than a week. We were there for 6 days and that was plenty. There is not a whole lot to do in Playacar. The town is a good 30 minute walk but there isn't much to see or do there either. The resort has a good number of restaurants and 2 nice size pools to relax by. On the last day we realized there was an empty pool by the gym. If I had noticed it earlier I would have spend some time there. The food was really good for an all-inclusive resort and you could get drinks with top-shelf liquor as opposed to no-name labels. With 5 restaurants there is enough variety for almost a week's stay. Rooms were okay. They were not extravagant. Noise echos as all rooms face the center courtyard. You may also be bothered by the loud music from the resort next door, depending on where your room is situated. Our neighbors were smoking and it seeped through the walls but they were able to move us the next night. The staff were all very nice and accommodating. This may go unsaid but don't forget to bring a stack of dollars with you for tips. You'll go through them quick. Overall, if you want to spend a few days laying in the sun relaxing, eating, and drinking, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: Walls are thin so it depends who your neighbors are.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear png888,

We are glad you followed the doctor’s order! Many of our guests take trips to Playacar and we couldn’t recommend it enough. We have complimentary bikes to explore the zone It’s a great place to explore, find hidden gardens, take in the beautiful nature and of course, shop .

In regards to the noise, we hope that our guests immediately inform us about any inconvenience so that we can do our best to accommodate them. As you noticed, we do our very best to resolve any issue.

We look forward to being your home away from home soon!
West Orange, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Overall the trip was very good. The hotel was beautiful, lobby and property well kept & weather was beautiful. Note-this hotel is EXTREMELY quiet and not for those looking to socialize. It's an easy walk on the beach to town (about 25 minutes)-which helps-but not for couples looking for a party atmosphere.

The pool and beach are beautiful, except for the seagulls. By afternoon they almost take over the property. On the first day we were "pooped" on 3 times. (They are even allowed in the infinity pool) It got frustrating, and all the pool covers have stains from the excrement. If you stay to the left and right edges it helps with the flyovers.

Food was very good-the Deck restaurant by pool and beach has an excellent variety and well as quality food. Service is top notch here, with the most friendly people who go out of their way to meet any need. This staff also handles beach service for both food and drinks and is exceptional!

Take the yoga class-I had only taken one before but loved Jesse. She is energetic and friendly,and makes everyone feel welcome. It's a nice eay to get early morning exercise.

The biggest downfall is the restaurant reservation situation. Reservations are required. I emailed the concierge days in advance, and was told we had to follow up on Saturday prior to our Monday arrival. On Saturday we were informed the "show" was Tuesday evening and that she would make Monday night reservations for us at 7:30 pm. Wen we arrived we found that the show was Thursday & the Monday reservations were never made. As a result we were forced to eat at 9:00 pm (or before 6 pm) for the first 2 nights. This was very disappointing and unexpected. Even worse was when we arrived at all pf our reservations the restaurants were empty.

Overall the hotel is beautiful, and the staff is friendly & helpful. December is a beautiful time to visit with the weather. Not worth upgrading to ocean view when it's mostly covered by trees...but is worth staying closer to pool & beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view only worth it if directly in front of beach...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Monica P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Royal Hideaway.

We do our very best to provide guests with a tranquil experience in a relaxed atmosphere.

Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding with the dinner reservations, as this is certainly not the norm for us.
We do encourage guests to email us prior to arrival, so that we can make all the reservations.
Our goal is to always provide personalized service, so we do our best to not book our restaurants to their max capacity.
We do encourage guests to mingle and socialize through activities at the resort, like aquaerobics, boccie ball, salsa lessons, yoga.

We hope to have the opportunity to be your home away from home again soon.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a three night stay at the Royal Hideaway Resort. While the resort may have been very nice in the '90s, it is lacking in some very basic areas.

Rooms: They still use bedspreads. The pictures on the internet do not reflect what you will actually experience. The ironing board was very rusty. The hot and cold water never regulated itself. Either it was very hot or very cold, rarely warm. The mattress was not very comfortable. My wife did claim she was fine with it. She weighs 105#, I weigh 185#. Overall maintenance was lacking. We did receive turndown service each evening, which was nice. There are drinks in the room which included bottled water, Mexican beer, and a few cans of soft drinks. There is a coffee machine in the room, but the location inside the desk cabinet was not conducive for use. The walk-in closet was a nice touch. The A/C worked well.

FOOD: We ate breakfast each morning at the buffet. Overall it was what you'd expect. The one item that they did not have was oatmeal. (?) The other odd thing about the buffet was that it changed from one day to the next. For example, chilaques was on the buffet line on the second day we were there, but not the first or third.

There was a daily tea service which was very enjoyable.

We never ate at any of the other restaurants on site. Instead we went into town.

SPA: We each had two massages while we were there. The spa was very enjoyable.

BEACH & POOL: Both are nice. The beach was extra nice.

Overall, I judge a resort by asking myself would I ever go back. Well with this property, I'd have to say NO. Mainly because there are way too many other nicer choices for the same dollar. In all fairness, we stayed there because we decided to go two weeks out from the busiest week of the year. We did enjoy ourselves because we chose to not let the negatives overrule the negatives.

Dear Gibono,

We have different options at our buffet in order to please our entire guest.

I’m sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor, as we take all feedback to heart and we have discussed your review with our management team. I will reach out to you directly via TripAdvisor today to check-in about your stay.

We do hope you give us the chance to provide you with an incredible stay.
Alexi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If I wanted to be surrounded by trash, I could have gone to Panama City Beach, Florida and at these prices? I could have had enough left over for a car! The other guests that frequent the resort have no class, are obnoxious and take away from the beauty of the surroundings. Every morning people place magazines on the pool chairs to reserve them, despite there being a no reservation rule, but only use the chairs around noon. Tasteless. Obnoxious.

Of course, it doesn't help that the hotel next door plays party music until the wee hours of the morning.

The servers are terrible as well. I have had better service at Chili's. Our drinks are empty far too often, and our food takes forever to come. But don't worry! They come to take your plate away in .5 seconds! You feel as though you are rushed out the door. And the desserts are terrible! Definitely not their forte.

The location is simply beautiful, the water is a tapestry of greens and blues that I wish I could take with me. The event staff is extremely helpful, and more than happy to help. Too bad theres nothing they can do about all the trash littering their facility.

If you're looking for a place where every need is met, the people around you make a courteous community, KEEP LOOKING!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear AlexiAlexi

We are happy that you enjoyed the beauty of the Caribbean; however we’re concerned by your review.

We take pride in providing a spotless and tranquil resort, and have strict protocol in place with our staff. As members of Leadings Hotels of the World, our staff is very detailed oriented and is always monitoring the resort to ensure it is pristine.
The comfort of our guests is top priority, and it appears we may have fallen short of this. Please know I will address this with our staff, so that we can continue to provide an incredible experience to our guests.

We are sorry that you were not provided the gracious service we strive to provide at our restaurants. Our Food and Beverage Manager and restaurant manager are aware of your comments, so that proper actions are taken to improve our service.

We value your feedback as it allows us to continuously improve upon the highs standards of service we strive for deliver.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and i just spent a week at this lovely hotel. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel. Think Royal Hideaway nailed the important things like service, food and feeling of being on vacation. However, there were minor issues that kept me from giving a perfect score.

Good and bad below:

Good:
- service level was through the charts. Staff was extremely hospitable. Never seen this level of service anywhere (including viceroy, four seasons, etc). Specifically referring to dining staff (host/hostesses, waiters, activity staff).

- charming property with villa style rooms. This is not your typical beach resort. The rooms are divided into small/quaint villas.

- beautiful beach. This hotel's beach area was the nicest in the area. Far less crowded given the smaller size of the hotel. The hotel offers free chairs and canopies. If you arrive in the AM, there are people that help set you up which is great.

- great food for an all inclusive. Never expected good food at an all inclusive but got just that here. With the exception of breakfast, the dining here is not buffet style as it is at many all-inclusives. It makes for a more civilized experience. Food quality and presentation was top notch.

- restaurants - our fav one by far was las ventanas. Spices was great for bfast and an authentic mexican dinner. The grill was our go to for lunch. Was not crazy about azia (asian) or palazzo (italian).

Not so good:
- rooms/decor were dated. Small/cheap pillows and cheap bed quality made it harder to sleep well after a few nights. I may be picky here bc we have an amazing set-up at home but the I'm also using other comparably priced US hotels as a standard. The air system was probably my biggest complaint as it was a forced ait vent directed at the bed and on a low/med/high setting (vs climate control). Our safe broke several times and our phones were also so,ewhat malfunctional.

- no concierge at our villa. Each villa has its own personal concierge which makes for an intimate experience. Only issue is that, as we learned through other hotel staff, our concierge resigned. We were never told that we would not have our personal villa concierge and had to eventually figure out that we shared a concierge with another villa (located on the complete opposite side of the property...which makes no sense).

- pool scene not great. The hotel has many pools, some which are secluded and private. The main pool, while beautiful, offered an ok experience at best. The chairs were too close to one another and the water was not heated. There were also a ton of seagulls hanging out in the infinity pool which turned us off. Luckily, the amazing beach experience worked out well.

- very few ocean view rooms. The layout of this property is such that there are only a handful of rooms that see the ocean. Would have liked something closer to the water.

Dear tbari,

Thank you very much for your review, and we appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at Royal Hideaway.
Our top priority is to provide guests with personalized service and our staff works diligently to ensure guests have an unforgettable stay.

Our Executive Chef is incredible, and is always looking to enhance the menu.
I’m disappointed that the room did not meet your expectations and I’ve discussed your feedback with our rooms division manager, as we’re continuously improving our resort. Also our air conditioning units can be adjusted so that they’re pointing in the desired direction.
You’re correct that each villa has a personal concierge. We are so sorry to hear about you had to share your concierge with other villa.

Once again thank you for your comments and suggestions. We look forward to showing you how we’ve improved for your next visit.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Wow!!! I'm impressed. When first walking into the lobby of this adult only, you quickly get the feeling that you are going to experience something special here. It made us feel like we were in a mansion in Newport RI.

The service is second to none. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and you feel so comfortable. There are only about 200 rooms here and the resort is small, but you definitely don't feel crowded. Actually, just the opposite is true. Your standard Luxury Suite is in a square shaped building that has a open common area in the middle of the building. They are 2 stories high and 8 rooms on each floor. In this common area is your Concierge dedicated only to the rooms in your building. This place was clean, clean, clean. We had to very minor issues, but I'm glad we did, because it showed us how they respond. We had a light bulb blow out our 2nd day there. Within 5 minutes we had somebody knocking on the door to replace it. We also did not have bathrobes in the room and again within 5 minutes that was resolved.

The food was awesome and the service was outstanding, actually the best we have ever had and I've stayed a about a dozen 5 star adult only resorts were the service was very good. I was lucky enough to do a site-inspection of the resort and part of that included scoping out the kitchen in the main restaurant. What can I say, this was spotless. No exaggeration, you probably could eat off the floors. Everything from the floors, to the prep area to even the cook tops and ovens were shining like Mr. Clean just finished a commercial there. It was quite impressive. We met the Executive Chef and he was was responsible for every aspect of the food at the resort including the cleanliness of the place. He also stated that if anybody has special need (lactose intolerant, glueten free, etc.) that you can email the resort and he will get back to you and discuss your needs and create gourmet entre's during your stay. All the restaurants are gourmet and ala-carte for lunch and dinner. The breakfast buffet was small compared to other resorts, but it had basically most of what you would want and the food was super fresh with the best of everything that was there.

When you walk down the back stairs from the main building to go to your room you will shortly see a glimpse of the unbelievable turquoise water waiting for you just a short walk away. The beach is really nice and the surf is not strong. There really isn't any snorkeling here, so if you want to do that, you'll have to take a trip. A simple request to one of the many workers catering to you on the beach will bring you a 1/4 globe tent to put over 2 lounge chairs to block the sun if it gets too be too much. The two pools are small, but that adds to the intimacy of the resort. This is not a party resort, it's a hideaway, hence the name.

A short walk across the main walkway to our building found us in what seemed like a little secluded oasis with large hot tub and small pool beside it to cool down from after the hot tub.

Afternoon tea and pastries on the back veranda of the main building was a very nice touch to make you feel like royalty.

The rooms were nicely appointed and the beds were very comfortable, not the rock hard beds found in most resorts.

If your looking for a relaxing romantic experience, top notch service and food on beautiful grounds without all the loud music and games, this is the place. Yes, it is a bit expensive, but this is not a place you would go to every weekend. You won't be disappointed!

Another great thing about this resort is it's location. Even though it's a very quiet resort, you're only a 5 minute taxi ride from 5th Ave in Play Del Carmen where all the action is as well as the ferry to Cozumel. Also, right across the street and about 100 yard south of the resort is a fairly new strip mall that you can walk to where you can buy all kinds of souvenirs if you didn't want to go to Play Del Carmen.

The one and only thing I found disappointing was that some of the mixed drinks did not contain real fruit juice. This must be a new trend in the resorts during the last year or so. They used a and orange juice mix instead of the real thing. Other than that, I didn't experience anything that wasn't superb. It's our new favorite resort to get away and just chill at and be treated like we are royalty.

Dear bohoops,

Wow! We appreciate your kind review and we certainly do our best to treat guests you like royalty.
Our Executive Chef Eugenio Villafaña is one of a kind and enjoys personalizing menu items for guests. We encourage guests to contact us prior to arrival, so that we can accommodate special requests. Chef Villafana is always preparing personalized delicacies without sacrificing taste, quality or service.

We’ll keep the sun shining for you in the Riviera Maya!

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!