“Very quiet and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Hul-Ku
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Ave. entre Calle 4 y 6., Playa del Carmen, Mexico   |
Ranked #131 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
colorado
“Very quiet and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed our stay. It is well situated and close enough to walk from the bus station. The whole place was very clean and well kept up. We enjoyed the pool and the quietness of the place. There is an Argentine place across the street that had music, but I don't think it went into the wee hours of the night. At least, it didn't keep us awake very long. The breakfast was quite lovely as well - fruit, breads and coffee. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

It was easy to find within 6 blocks of the bus terminal. Checkin was a breeze as hotels.com prepaid for me and within 5min I was changing into my beach shorts. Price of $75 a night is worth it for 4 days. It's more than just a place to sleep. It is a great place for families with kids as it is closed in with giant wall all around hotel. Interior has nice shallow pool for kids and enough depth also for adults at other end. Room was immaculately clean with gorgeous view overlooking garden and pool.

Stayed April 2014
Haverhill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Hotel Hul-Ku surprised us with how cool the lay out of the property is as well as the cleanliness, features and set up of the rooms were... Walking up to the hotel and seeing locked gates and not the best atmosphere on the street, you don't expect much.. But it truly was an awesome experience... I stayed 2 days and had a blast on the beach, beach bars and 5th Ave! Would definitely recommend Hul-Ku to anyone looking for a cheap stay to enjoy Playa!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My boyfriend, my daughter and myself stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed the hotel. It had everything we needed (including a little kitchenette which was unexpected), and was only a few blocks walk from everything we wanted to go to (beach, 5th avenue, collectivo pickup). I liked that it was a true Mexican style with lots of "jungle" growing in the courtyard. My daughter enjoyed the pool and fountains. The breakfast was spartan and slow in the mornings (don't plan on it if you have somewhere to be early), but for free, what do you want? There was construction going on above our room which was quite disconcerting on the first day of arrival when we wanted to rest (and the staff not too concerned about it, just telling us "They stop at 5" - yes but I want to nap now.) but for the other days we were out and about during work hours and not bothered at all. The rooms were clean and nicely made up daily. For the price it can't be beat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We are on day 8 of 14 days at Hotel Hulku. We are pleased with our stay. The basic rooms are kept very clean and Julio is a great manager. The location is convenient to Fifth Avenue, the beach, the bus, and lots of restaurants. Definitely would stay again.

Room Tip: We had room number six on the second floor. It had a private patio overlooking the jungle garden an...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Just spent ten days at Hotel Hul-Ku over New Years/BPM Festival, and I couldn't have been more satisfied. The hotel description online is very accurate - clean rooms with A/C and wifi, lush tropical foyer setting, cozy pool with lounge area, and great location. The price for this hotel is very reasonable, and the location was perfect (four blocks from the beach and plenty of excellent food and bars nearby). They include a continental breakfast at no charge, with was a nice added bonus. The wonderful service and friendly, helpful employees is definitely what makes this place a winner, though. Julio and Cecilia were amazing. They always let me into the gate after hours (since my drunken self kept having to stumble back in without my keys at 4am), gave us very helpful advice, and were very kind (they would let me store my leftover meals in their office refrigerator, how nice of them)! Please, just don't come here expecting resort-style accommodations and services offered at the all-inclusive resorts. That's not what I came here for. I did not come here to be pampered, I came here for a nice, attractive affordable hotel in a great location with great service. And that's what I got!

Room Tip: Just be aware that there are a lot of water features in the hotel that make it sound like it's r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Mexicali
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a total rip off! The price you have to pay is not low so I would have expected that at least it was like they post it on the pictures. The rooms are poorly equipped, the bedskirt had holes and it did not have a decent closet. This has been a terrible experience, never stay here an do yourself a favor.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Hul-Ku? Share your experiences!