“No hesitation to use again or recommend” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #125 of 292 Activities in Playa del Carmen
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: PHANTOM DIVERS is a full service PADI DIVE CENTRE located in Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya) Mexico since 1983. We offer: Scuba Diving Courses, Cavern Diving, SHARK DIVING SPECIALIST, Cozumel diving, Reef Diving, Wreck and Night Diving. Our multilingual local instructors will help you discover the Mexican Caribbean wonders in a safe and fun way. We also offer scuba instruction for children, we welcome all agencies like: PADI, NAUI, SSI, IANTD,TDI. When diving with Phantom Divers, besides having a good time you will also help conservation, since Phantom Divers supports several ONG'S, participating in conservational projects. WELCOME TO MEXICO!! PHANTOM DIVERS es un centro de buceo PADI con servicio completo, esta ubicado en Playa del Carmen (Riviera Maya) Mexico desde 1983. Ofrecemos: Cursos de certificados de buceo, buceo en cenote, BUCEO ESPECIALIZADO CON TIBURON, buceo en Cozumel, y buceo de arrecife, ruinas y nocturno. Tambien ofrecemos clases de buceo para ninos. Nuestra tienda cuenta con instructores multilingues, los cuales te ayudaran a descubrir las maravillas del Caribe Mexicano de una forma segura y divertida. Todas las agencias de buceo son bienvenidas, como: PADI, NAUI, SSI, IANTD,TDI.Al bucear con PHANTOM DIVERS, aparte de pasarla bien, ayudaras a la conservacion marina ya que PHANTOM DIVERS apoya distintas organizaciones que participan en proyectos de conservacion. Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!!!!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
NY
21 attraction reviews
“No hesitation to use again or recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I did several dives with,and organized by Phantom and they were all great. The staff is friendly, courteous, and skilled. Laura booked everything I asked for, Charles took us as far south in Playa as we could go, and had a great two tank trip with him. Mario took us on a great Cenote dive, and kept us safe. The refferal to a Cozumel shop was great, normaly they only run two tanks in Cozumel, but they were happy to accomodate us and run four tanks for the day. They have lockers and showers and loaned me a towel . I had my own gear, but the stuff they have to rent seems fine, my friend used their gear and had no trouble with it. It was no trouble for me, but remember they do not accept credit cards.

Visited February 2012
phantomdivers, Manager at Phantom Divers, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you very much with your review! We are glad you where pleased with our services, and team. And that you had a great time. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Fantastic dive, very safe, totally worth the $$!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I was looking to do a shark dive while in Mexico this January, and I found Phantom Divers through a google search. I had done dives in the Bahamas where reef sharks were around, but not close to you, and cage diving in Hawaii where they feed the sharks in front of you, but neither of those experiences were the close up shark encounter I was hoping for. What a different story here! I was a little apprehensive at first as bull sharks can be dangerous, but when I got to the dive shop I was very reassured. Everyone was very nice and helpful, and before we left for the dive they had you watch an instructional video they had made themselves (very well done!) that went over every aspect of the dive, what to expect, and how it would be executed. After that it's a short walk to the ocean, they load your gear onto the boat, and it's a short ride to the dive site. Once everyone is ready you sink to the bottom as a group, there is a rope along the bottom that you all line up behind, and lie flat on the bottom. You can take pictures if you bring your own camera, but you are about 80 feet down, so you would have to have a camera that goes pretty deep. A second guide also comes along with the dive shop's camera, he takes great pics and videos you can buy after. (I would recommend getting these, his camera is on the end of a stick so he can get the camera right in the sharks faces!) When everyone is in place, the feeding begins! There were about 10-12 sharks that came to eat on my dive, and the guide fed them by hand right in front of us, it was incredible!!! It was amazing to see such big sharks (6-8 feet) so close to you, and yet at no point did I ever feel like I was in danger. They feed the sharks one piece at a time so there is no risk of a feeding frenzy, and the sharks are so focused on the free meal, they really didn't even notice you were there. Still, it is an absolutely exhilarating experience, and I would recommend it for every shark lover out there!

Visited January 2012
Thank you very much for your review ,we where really pleased to read how fun and safe your shark dine experience was with us. We hope to see you soon!
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing dives, friendly helpful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The best dive company we found out of 6 different centres in Playa del Carmen I have used in the last couple of years. I have been diving for years all over the world, the diving we did with Phantom divers is hands down the best I have ever done for both the friendly helpful service and dive master expertise and local knowledge. We started our love affair with Phantom after a couple of Cenote dives with Mario. In the busy caves he was able to take us on a fantastic tour, avoiding all other divers to give us the perfect “explorer” atmosphere. We did some very chilled reef dives after that before the most amazing bull shark dive, thanks to Chino and Charlie. Unbelievable! We had heard that the Taj Mahal Cenote was not to be missed and spoke to Phantom and Mario about doing it on the last day, he said he was happy to, but that he could take us to Dos Ojos Cenote and take us on a private tour that we couldn’t miss. He was totally right, they were the best two dives I have ever done. We rounded it all off with a great night dive on our last day with José hunting out some fantastic night life. Their ethos throughout our dives with them was to be safe, relaxed and make sure we got to do some of the best most diverse diving, not just in Mexico but in the world. Cannot fault them in any way, thanks guys.

Visited January 2012
Saint Paul, Minnesota
36 attraction reviews
“Didn't do a dive, but like the folks when we stopped by”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This place was recommended by the manager at the condo building where we stayed. She said she only uses them (and doesn't get any kick backs for suggesting them, and I believed her). My husband and I are not certified, so just stopped their for supplies since we were going to snorkel on our own. The gentleman who helped us was really nice, sold us what we needed and if we had more time, we'd probably use them.

Visited September 2011
“Open water certification course at Phantom Divers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011 via mobile

We just finished our open water course at Phantom Divers and had an amazing time. Ramon was our instructor. His English was excellent which was important for us as that is our only spoken language, and he was very patient and knowledgeable. Day 1 was the initial instruction and pool skills in the morning. The pool was a little gross and halfway through a family with a screaming child from the neighboring hotel came in but the important thing was that Ramon tought us all our skills and was patient with us novice divers. The first and second ocean dives in the afternoon were great. He let us all get comfortable in the water on dive number 1, and we practiced our skills on dive number 2. We were well prepared after the pool dive. We saw a bull shark on dive 2 which was very, very cool. The second day it was just the two of us with Ramon which was very nice. The first dive was the most amazing experience I've ever had. We saw all sorts of fish, eels, rays, and 3 turtles!!! The second dive was amazing too, beautiful reefs and another turtle. Ramon took some INCREDIBLE pictures and even though the photo disc is a little pricey ($40 for both days) it was well worth it for the awesome pictures he took.
Overall I think the experience was so good beacuse of Ramon who is incredibly experienced (he said he quit counting at 2000 dives). We felt completely safe with him at all times. The boat drivers are also very friendly and helpful with all the equipment. The boat rides were pretty bumpy but the ocean was rough and you could tell they were doing what they could to make it the most comfortable. The receptionist lady was incredibly nice and sweet and was always waiting outside the shop with our locker
key when we returned.
There are lockers upstairs that we felt safe leaving our stuff in.
Also a very fair price to rent equipment and become PADI certified.
Altogether a fantastic experience!