“I need to have more birthdays here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan Tree Mayakoba

You added Banyan Tree Mayakoba to your Saves list
Banyan Tree Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal Chetumal - Pto. Juarez Km. 298, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 200 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC
“I need to have more birthdays here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Spent my birthday here. Second Banyan Tree experience. The first was 15 years ago in Thailand. That vacation was great and this one was even better.
Spectacular in every sense. Beautiful. Great food. Wonderful room.
But what sticks out most is the level of service. It was perfect.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Our goal is to make our guests, repeat guests. I am glad that after 15 years, you visited the first Banyan Tree in the Americas. I really appreciate your concise review and I am delighted to know this experience was spectacular in every sense. Congratulations!
It will be an honor for us to welcome you back soon and very often.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

This place is great. My spouse and I were looking for a place where we could stay with my sister and her family (husband and young kids). We rented a townhouse villa for a week. The place was great it was big and it was affordable. Room service was awesome. We did a roof top deck bbq one night with Emmanuel and Henry and it was so amazing.

The staff is incredible. Every morning Alejandro would remember what we like to drink and eat and great us and talk to us. At the pool Rubi and Alfonso were always very helpful and remembered what we like and were there to give us what we wanted before we even asked. Ignacio who drove us around in the boat was so nice and the staff at Safron especially Nadia took such good care of us.

The food was incredible at all of the restaurants and in room dining.

The service all around every where from the spa to the buggy drivers was the best we have ever had.

I would definitely go back. But if I didn't have a large family I think a one story pool villa would be nicer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share such gracious comments about your stay with us, and especially about our staff.

Emmanuel, Henry, Alejandro, Rubi, Alfonso, Ignacio, Nadia and all our team will be very glad to know that their effort and genuine care for our guests is recognized.

It is a great pleasure to read that you and your family enjoyed the Town House during your stay; it is a really good option for families.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon, either with all your family or just for a romantic getaway with your wife in a pool villa.

San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Let me start by saying I'm a prototypical hotel/resort snob. I've become accustomed to paying more for great hotel experiences. I've stayed in all the major 5 diamond resort brands (Intercontinental, Four Seasons, Mandarin, Fairmont, etc.) and was under the impression that major brands offer great accomodations but typically are more interested in name reputation than delivering great service. The Banyan Tree Mayakoba completely blew me away. Not only was it the best accommodations I've ever had the pleasure of paying for but the service was absolutely flawless. Could not have been better....truly a top notch experience that was worth the extra coin. I can't say enough about the room (private pool and jacuzzi, outdoor tub, rain shower room, hammock and queen sized daybed). The wait staff made us feel like we owned the hotel and the breakfast buffet was the greatest buffet experience ever. The full bodied spa massage given by a young lady on intern from Phuket was impeccable and my 60 min spa foot treatment was outstanding. Absolutely no complaints. My wife and I will definitely be back in 2011. Looking forward to the Banyan Tree Barbados. If you can't visit Mexico for a stay at the Mayakoba, do yourself a favor and visit a resort in the Banyan line. Someone has figured out how to do luxury the right way.

Dear Valued Guest,

We are overjoyed to read the nice description you made about our villas and service. We are glad that our resort blew you away.

At the end of your review, you wrote “Someone has figured out how to do luxury the right way”. Thank you very much for your remarks, we are very conscious that we have created a wonderful “Sanctuary for the Senses” with the perfect blend of Asian and Mexican cultures, and it could not be perfect without the professional team who is totally committed to deliver the finest service and most genuine care to our guest.

I really appreciate your fine comments about our breakfast buffet. I am pleased to read it was a great experience to start your day.

I am delighted to read that you will be back in 2011. I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

With kind regards,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

What a place! My wife and I typically stay at Marriott and Hilton with an occasional splurge at Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. They all live up to their reputation but THIS was amazing. Banyan Tree is new to the Western Hemisphere with two new resorts in Mexico. We stayed at the Mayakoba, south of Cancun (some big names have stayed there). We spent the big bucks on transportation between the airport and hotel as we aren’t comfortable with all the unsolicited “service” usually forced upon tourists at the airport. Best to say, “No gracias” unless you have fun with that stuff. Anyway, air conditioned luxury in a Cadillac Escalade with bottled water, thick cool washcloths, and a very professional driver to the Banyan Tree. Upon arrival we were greeted by Fernanda (the bags simply disappeared to our villa) who escorted us to the outdoor reception area with a mini tour along the way. After we sat down, she disappeared briefly, returning with more refreshing washcloths and a very refreshing and healthy green fruit juice concoction. After completing check in, she gave us a more extensive tour (we wanted that) which concluded with us boarding an almost silent electric motor boat (with a canopy) for the 15 minute strolling cruise to the beach area where our villa was located (there is also buggy service which is much faster). Bottled water, fresh fruit and more cool washcloths were supplied on the boat. Upon arrival we were greeted by a fruity adult beverage and Sarah, the very warm and friendly hostess in charge of the beach area. Our spa pool villa was a very short walk from the dock and Fernanda escorted us, giving us a tour which included how to utilize everything. (See the website for floor plans and photos of the villas.) Daily breakfast was an experience in itself. The food was incredible and the staff outstanding. With each passing day, we looked forward to the familiar faces each morning. Across the board I have not experienced a more professional and sincerely friendly staff. Buggy service (golf carts) between the beach villas and the main resort was always prompt. The resort restaurants were outstanding with Saffron especially excelling in service as well as the exquisite Chef’s creations at Tamarind. The gals at the open air La Copa Bar were great to interact with and The Sands (beach front restaurant and bar) was very convenient to our villa with good food, drinks, and great hospitality.
A signature event at the Banyan Tree is the Rain Forest Spa and exceptional graciousness of the massage experts from Thailand. I don’t want to spoil the effect by giving away the little details, but from reception to conclusion, you’d be amiss to not take advantage of this unique Thai experience.
The main swimming pool was very nice. Armando, the bar tender was fun and offered us an authentic Mexican cocktail not on the menu, El Toro (start with a chili rimmed glass, no salt…). The pool service was exceptional, as the friendly attendant set up our lounges and kept us supplied with bottled water and cool refreshing washcloths, scented with mint. Incredible.
I wish I could remember the names of so many others that took such good care of us; the buggy drivers, restaurant staff, housekeeping, bar tenders…the management has mastered the art of hiring.
There was an especially unique experience at La Copa Bar when I was having trouble lighting a premium hand rolled cigar because of the wind. Out of no-where, a splendid Mexican Caballero appeared, rugged and donned in black trousers with silver studs down the legs (right out of a Clint Eastwood western, the only thing missing was a trumpet and Spanish guitar). He held a lighter in his right hand while using the curved fingers of his left hand to shield the flame from the wind so I could light my cigar. Jorge is his nombre and he provides free shoe shine service to all the guests. I’m telling you, no detail is missed here.
Oh, did I mention the perfectly manicured PGA golf course? I’m out of room…enjoy!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

I recently returned from a one week stay at Banyan tree. As has already been mentioned in many prior reviews, this hotel is outstanding overall. The inside of Courtyard Villa was beautiful as was the private pool. The friendliness and warmth of the staff working at this hotel is unparalleled. In particular, Cesar at Oriente, Sarah at the Beach club, and Marian at reception were outstanding. I have never met a nicer hotel staff at the premiere hotels in which I have stayed.

Only have two complaints: The first involves the many lizards seen throughout the hotel. We have traveled to tropical regions many times before and have seen many lizards on the grounds of hotels. However, never have we seen so many lizards INSIDE our bedroom. We found 9 lizards in our bedroom and courtyard villa. The sizes ranged from 4inches to over half a foot long. Given that we paid $800 per night to stay in this hotel, this is not acceptable. Again, we have stayed at other elite hotels such as One and Only, other Rosewoods, Fairmont, etc, in locations where lizards are endemic. However, never have we seen lizards INSIDE the rooms. We ended up repacking all our belongings and moving to a different Courtyard villa after finding 3 lizards in the first 36hrs. of our stay. The second room was pre-sprayed with "lizard deterrent" prior to us moving but had the same problem. We found another 6 lizards. One of them even fell off the ceiling onto my wife's head. My 2.5yr old son who was sleeping on a cot on the floor had nightmares of lizards crawling on his bed (one of them nearly did). Because of these experiences, both were afraid to spend time much time in our courtyard villa and bedroom -- definitely a huge waste. He ended up being afraid of sleeping in his cot and spent most nights sleeping with us. Again, this is not acceptable for a hotel that charges this amount. To compensate us for this, we were were given just a $40 discount off a massage at the Spa -- somewhat sad given the small proportional value compared to the $800 per night rate.

Lastly, the food at this hotel is very good but not great. The highlight of the food is the Oriente buffet breakfast. We ate at all the restaurants at the hotel and were not particularly impressed. We ended up eating 3 dinners at the Rosewood Mayakoba which has better food. As an aside, the service provided by the In-Villa dining is superb.

Overall, the hotel appearance, ambiance, gracious and friendly staff, and service was great. However, because of the experience with the lizards I must warn all those who are not in-touch with nature to consider this prior to booking. One might argue that our experience is an anomaly, but we did have this experience in two different villas, one of which was pre-sprayed with deterrent. Coincidence, I think not.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our associates Cesar, Marian and Sarah. I am very proud of all my colleagues and I`m glad to hear our staff is the nicest staff you have encountered.

Regarding your comments about the lizards in your villa, I am sorry for the inconveniences this may have caused. I would like to kindly comment that I have lived in exotic regions for the last 20 years such as Indonesia, Maldives, Malaysia, Laos and Sri Lanka, where it is impossible to keep nature away from the properties.

I am really sorry for your kid`s nightmares. The lizards that live in this area are completely harmless, and a lot of countries consider them as a lucky symbol. Exterminating them require very toxic products which would affect our guests` health. I am sorry I cannot assure you that if you give us the pleasure to visit us again, you will not have any lizards around your villa. However, we will do our best to keep them away.

We hope that these comments do not affect your general impression of our hotel. If I can be of further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba in the near future.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic trip to the Banyan Tree. The hotel was quiet when we were there (40% full) this added to the exclusive and private feeling of the grounds. We stayed for 11 days and in that time ate in all the resturants on site plus a number off site. I thought the food was excellent, a little pricey. The Thia resturant, Saffron is outstanding. We also ate in the villa on a number of occassions which was excellent (Kobe Beefburger is awesome). We popped next door to the Rosewood a couple of times (fine dining) which was worth the trip. We also travelled into Playa Del Carman for food which gave a different scene to the hotel but we were also happy to return.

The SPA was incredible and you have to do the Rainforest walk, it is the best $35 you’ll ever spend.

Service and staff we excellent, we had a resort host that helped us with everything we needed.

We did Bed and Breakfast which I recommend as the breakast buffet was fantastic.
All in all 10 out of 10. The only critisiums we can level at the place is It was extremmely hot in June and there are a lot of mostiqitos.

Dear Valued Guest,

It is really nice to know we are becoming more and more popular around the world. It is very gratifying to know, you came for eleven days all the way from UK. Thank you for your preference for staying with us.

I really appreciate you have taken the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed our food, specially our famous luxury breakfast buffet and Saffron.

I agree with you that the $38 Rainforest promotion is a unique experience no one should miss.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba in the near future.

Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

One of my favorite hotels in the western hemisphere. Excellent servie, impecable accomodations, the staff is so professional and so diligent!!! Food is very good and the entire property is well maintained. This is a place to really enjoy nature, to walk or ride your bike and get the most out of the wonderfull surroundings. The villa that was assigned to me had such a great location! All you could hear was birds, the wind and nothing else. I could have stayed there for weeks! The Spa is a must. The therapists are Thai and they are so professional and so well trained. The entire Spa is a delight and the aray of treatments will certainly behove you to come back for more.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

I really enjoy reading through all the Trip Advisor reviews. It is amazing how your opinion impacts in future guests. It is very gratifying to read that we are becoming more popular in the “Western Hemisphere”

Week after week we receive guests that decided to stay with us among all the hotels in the Yucatan Peninsula, thanks Trip Advisor reviews, such as yours.

Thanks to you and all our past guests for taking the time to write about us.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!