The staff, rooms, service and architecture are tremendous. My wife and I stayed at the end of December and our expectations were very much exceeded. This place is special. We are returning for a second time in March 2010. A lot of thought has gone into making sure that your stay goes beyond what the competition can offer. There are 4 restaurants that each offer very different culinary experiences -- Mexican, Thai, seafood, and hybrid/modern. Each restaurant was extremely good -- and the chef of each restaurant makes a point of visiting the table to check on your eating experience. We didn't get tired of the food like we usually do when dining at the same hotel for several days. The restaurant managers do an excellent job -- service was prompt and the staff couldn't do enough to make sure you get what you want.
The commitment to high-end service is found throughout this hotel. My wife and I travel a lot for business and pleasure, and this hotel has found the ideal blend of luxury -- the staff anticipate your next move and steer you into the relaxation zone. The management team has trained the staff wonderfully.
The architecture of the hotel is beautiful. The modern Asian-inspired facility blends well with the mangroves and beach area. The rooms (really should be called villas) and common areas have high-end, modern fixtures everywhere -- no cost spared. The property is large -- an 18-hole golf course wraps around the whole property. Electric buggies and an electric boat (to save on environment and keep noise low) transport you around the property -- alternatively you can request bikes. To jog around the property takes 30 minutes -- which is very cool as you get to see the sea, mangroves, bridges, wild life, the golf course, etc. You never feel crowded -- we went at a time when there was high occupancy -- but you would never know -- quite the contrary.
My wife and I have stayed in the region before -- we stayed at Maroma Spa & Resort. This facility is a two star resort when compared to the five star Banyan Tree. The rooms are very basic and the hotel needs a serious overall upgrade, whereas Banyan Tree goes beyond your expectations.
Looking forward to going back in March -- The Macdonald family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A harmonious blend of nature and luxury, Banyan Tree Mayakoba takes resort living to new heights with the first all-pool villa resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts brings Asian hospitality to the beautiful development of Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, complete with Banyan Tree Mayakoba pool villas offering premium seclusion and an expansive Mayakoba spa complex with the introduction of the award-winning Banyan Tree Mayakoba Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Tingo, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Jetsetter, Venere and Otel so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico