My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree for five nights after having spent some earlier time at Maroma. We loved the Banyan Tree and preferred it over all, though the two resorts are vey different in style. Just by way of comparison, the Banyan Tree feels much larger, a sprawling resort, and is more modern and less intimate in style than Maroma. Some of the pros and cons follow.
Pros: The staff to guest ratio nevertheless was very high and the service was extremely attentive. We really loved the large and modern rooms, the high ceilings and the private plunge pool and private courtyard/sitting area. The closet and bathroom at the Banyan Tree felt as large as the main area of our room at the Maroma. We also loved the spa services, the thai massages, classes etc. The workout facility was nice though not exceptional. Everything had a "newness" about it which is not surprising given the hotel's relatively recent opening. We enjoyed just the laid-back feel of the resort, just riding the resort bikes around the grounds was a pleasure.
Cons. There were a few cons, though not many. The resort like many in the area is long and narrow with only a small beach area. As others have noted, this means that many of the rooms are quite distant from the beach, requiring a (enjoyable, in our case) bike or "buggie" ride to get there. The restaurants were expensive though the food was good, not great, but good. There were mosquitos on some of the nights during our stay, though that is not particular to this resort (it's the area); that basically was not an issue you just wear repellent when going ount on some of the evenings.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A harmonious blend of nature and luxury, Banyan Tree Mayakoba takes resort living to new heights with the first all-pool villa resort in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Banyan Tree Hotels and Resorts brings Asian hospitality to the beautiful development of Mayakoba, Riviera Maya, complete with Banyan Tree Mayakoba pool villas offering premium seclusion and an expansive Mayakoba spa complex with the introduction of the award-winning Banyan Tree Mayakoba Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico