“Fantastic rooms and wonderful service” 5 of 5 stars

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 201 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Washington, DC
“Fantastic rooms and wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Banyan Tree for five nights after having spent some earlier time at Maroma. We loved the Banyan Tree and preferred it over all, though the two resorts are vey different in style. Just by way of comparison, the Banyan Tree feels much larger, a sprawling resort, and is more modern and less intimate in style than Maroma. Some of the pros and cons follow.

Pros: The staff to guest ratio nevertheless was very high and the service was extremely attentive. We really loved the large and modern rooms, the high ceilings and the private plunge pool and private courtyard/sitting area. The closet and bathroom at the Banyan Tree felt as large as the main area of our room at the Maroma. We also loved the spa services, the thai massages, classes etc. The workout facility was nice though not exceptional. Everything had a "newness" about it which is not surprising given the hotel's relatively recent opening. We enjoyed just the laid-back feel of the resort, just riding the resort bikes around the grounds was a pleasure.

Cons. There were a few cons, though not many. The resort like many in the area is long and narrow with only a small beach area. As others have noted, this means that many of the rooms are quite distant from the beach, requiring a (enjoyable, in our case) bike or "buggie" ride to get there. The restaurants were expensive though the food was good, not great, but good. There were mosquitos on some of the nights during our stay, though that is not particular to this resort (it's the area); that basically was not an issue you just wear repellent when going ount on some of the evenings.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager Mexico at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 5, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your experience in your recent trip to Riviera Maya.

I would like to share with you some comments in regards to your review:
With all respect, We consider our pools to be more than just plunge pools, since the smallest in our hotel is 30 ft. long and 115 ft2.

We are operating 107 Villas right now, 13 of them are located on the beach area and the rest are located over the lagoon, near the main building; we always have buggy service available to take our guests to and from the beach. Besides, we have the bikes option for those guests that enjoy to exercise.

We have taken note of your comment of the food, and you are right when you say that in the entire tropical area in the world you will always find mosquitoes; it is normal in this type of environment. We have a very professional team of Biologists who are always implementing strategies to keep the situation under control.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba soon.

pancho.llamas@banyantree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
krowenj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Just returned from a trip from the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. It was amazing! I would recommend this resort to anyone. Best for couples as it is very romantic, and even though there were some families there I suggest do not go with children.

The Rooms:
The villas are spectacular, each has its own pool and they are very private. You will never hear another person around you as soon as you enter your villas space. They are VERY spacious. The A/C is great and keeps the room very cool. There are ipod docks in the room and in the bathroom and feel free to blast the music as we asked our neighbors if they could hear it and they said no. The pools are immaculate and clean and huge, they are no splash pool but almost a normal size pool. There are loungers and outdoor beds. A great table and chairs is also provided for in villa dining outside. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The lighting in the rooms is very "zen" and romantic. The outdoor bathtubs are so great, they are huge, and the bath salts, bubbles, and oils are a great addition along with the wall of candles. Everything about the room is great, one suggestion keep your safe closed and all of your belongings in there. If you leave it open and any "valuables" are left out in the room the maid service will put it in the safe and change the code on you. This means they will be in your safe touching your belongings so just a reminder keep it all locked up.

The Food
The food is amazing from the in room dining to the Sands at the beach for lunch to Saffron which was the absolute best Thai food I have ever eaten. The service at Saffron is spot on and I do not know what they could do to make it any better. Everything we ate there we kept saying "Oh my god this is so good! Amazing! MMMM" You must go here, we ate indoors and it was very romantic, but there is tons of outdoor seating which looked very romantic but we had enough of all the mosquitos. You will not be disappointed by any of the food at this hotel. All fabulous!

The Service
Sometimes slow when asking for ice to the room or trying to get a buggy to take you around but always pleasant and very helpful. No one ever had any kind of attitude and they are willing to do anything for you. The beach help is very nice and bring you tons of water cold towels and special drinks. Everyone is great.

The Spa
The spa will blow you away its like being in a different world I had a Balinese massage and it was so relaxing definitely reccommend having lots of treatments done. If i knew how great it was may have gone for more.

Overall the hotel is fabulous we are already planning on going back hopefully soon. It is incredibly safe Mayakoba's entrance blows you away, and its closeness to Playa del Carmen is great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President - Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family, we wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to convey information on us to the readers.

We were delighted to know that you have enjoyed your romantic stay.

In regards to the comment of the safe, let me please explain our policy. When our staff goes inside the villa and finds the safe deposit box left open and valuable outside the safe, they will call the manager on duty and place all values inside the safe and lock it, logically with another code, leaving a message behind.

We have taken note of the slow service when providing ice and pick up by buggy.

We wish to thank you very much for your preference and your kind comments which are the best distinguishing award an establishment can obtain.

Warm Regards,

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, to celebrate my birthday. I truly wanted an amazing vacation, so I did my research prior to deciding where to go and read tons of reviews. If you are looking for a relaxing, secluded and romantic place then this is the place to go because there is not much else going on.

Pros:
The Sands Beach was our absolute favorite place. Jorge, Juan Manuel, Alex and Charlie where absolutely the best and took excellent care of us during our stay. Jorge and Alex even indulged us in a friendly game of volleyball on the beach. Be sure to take advantage of the sea kayaks and snorkeling with Juan Manuel. Amazing!!! These guys truly made us enjoy our vacation.
We truly enjoyed the food at the restaurant. This was the only place you could actually eat Mexican food in the entire resort, which was somewhat disappointing. We were disappointed it was not opened for dinner, as we would have eaten there every night.
The music played in the restaurant was disappointing.

The Pool - We only stopped by the pool on our last day. We were hungry and did not want to eat at any of the restaurants, so we ate from their menu. Ivan was great, attentive and friendly. The food was also not bad but expensive $22 for a burrito. However, I would have paid that much to eat the same thing for dinner in the restaurant. This was also the only place that seemed to play better music.

Saffron- We ate here our first night on the recommendation of Karla during check in. We arrived to find that we were the only people in the restaurant. This would have been fine but at times there would be waiters standing next to the door, almost as if guarding the place which made us uncomfortable. The food was delicious and Nadia did an outstanding job.

Cons:
Upon our initial arrival, I was told there was a waiting list for the bikes, but we would be able to get them the next day. That never happened. We did not have bikes during our entire stay, but that was just fine as we enjoyed walking around the resort.

Unfortunately, two items turned up missing from our villa. We initially thought we might have lost one item as we could not image that anyone would take anything, but when a 2nd item turned up missing the next day we knew it was not a coincidence. We reported this to the front desk and spoke with security. Security told us they would conduct an investigation and keep us appraised, but that never happened. I felt as if they did not believe us. Why would we make up a story for such small items, when we were paying a lot of money to stay at the resort? Also, not once did we receive an apology from any of the staff or any offer of replacement.

Oriente: enjoyed the breakfast. A great selection of food and beverages. The service was a bit lacking when it came to getting coffee. We also had dinner but were disappointed with the menu choices, a bit too fussy with items on the menu that we had not idea what they were.

Tamarind - We went there for dinner but again were disappointed with the choices. So we ended up having dessert, which we wonderful. I would recommend the lemon pie.

La Copa - We went there every night and were the only people there most nights. The last night there was a Mexican band playing music on the terrace which was a refreshing change.

The music piped in the main areas as well as the restaurants seems to be off the same CD. While this might be fine in the rooms, I almost felt as if the music was putting me to sleep at times a bit too bizarre for my taste.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 27, 2009
Dear Value Guest,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you for your comments about our hotel facilities and associates. We are very proud of our associates and we believe they are the finest in Riviera Maya. Your comments about our beach staff, particularly Jorge, Juan Manuel, Alex and Charlie, endorse this belief and are a great testimony to our team’s dedication and professionalism.

About your discontent on Sands being closed for dinner, sometimes and due to weather conditions, not just the rain but wind too, it becomes a bit unpleasant and uncomfortable for our guests to have dinner with such weather conditions, that is the main reason which leads us to close some nights; as you know there are three other options to enjoy dinner in our property.

We have taken note regarding your comments about the music, we will make sure to pass them to our music designers.

Regarding the limited amount of bikes, let me explain the reason. At this moment we have 100 bicycles in the hotel for our guests. To be able to provide every guest with a bike, we will need to have around 400 bicycles. That will definitely affect the traffic and eventually lead to accidents. We are planning though to buy another 50 bikes due to high demand.

Sorry again for the confusion you had with Oriente´s menu, due to local terms of the items and dishes, our staff has been trained to explain the composition of every dish. I will check with our Food and Beverage Director if there is a way to make it clearer.

Security is a very important issue in Banyan Tree. Be sure that the investigation about your memory card and your perfume still goes on. As soon as I have any information, I will personally let you know. Please email me at pancho.llamas@banyantree.com in order to keep you updated.

I would like to express my apologies if your stay did not meet your expectations. Barring these inconveniences, I hope you had an enjoyable stay with us.

With kind regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I am a seasoned traveller who leans on TA in making decisions on where to stay.
We have been to the Cancun/Riviera Maya several times and enjoy the people, the scenery and the culture. After reading the glowing reviews praising the Mayakoba , I was so looking forward to tsurprising my wife for our get away for five nights. However, I began to have some reservations upon entering the place.
I almost hate to criticize because the staff was really good at "service recovery" and were well trained in customer service.
It's not that the hotel grounds aren't beautiful; it is very isolated located in a wetlands that surrounds the area. (This property, while it has it's charm, is a haven for mosquitos and early evenings we were driven inside by the biting.)
Our check in was flawed and for much of the stay, the staff seemed to be in recovery mode...fixing situations that should have been handled in advance.
We arrived at about 1:00 P.M. Our villa wasn't ready because the AC unit wasn't working properly. When you travel over 8 hours to get someplace and you have communicated when you will be there, you'd like to drop your bags, put on something casual like a bathing suit and relax....we had to wait well over an hour for our room to be ready without the offer of a good alternative....given that the place was well below capacity you might think there would have been options...
The villas are very private well appointed; very comfortable bed; nice pool and jacuzzi.
We could have used more hangars and a better layout to spread out our clothes.
We were given an upgrade with a pavilion which is a separate building that has a table, couch, TV, Coffee maker, etc. If we were with a group it would have been a fun place to have a drink but with just two of us, we didn't feel the need to use very often.
The beach is fine and well raked and cleaned. Like many of the beaches in the area hit by hurricanes, they are losing sand and the beach has narrowed. We love the beach and the best part of the Mayakoba for us was the beach crew. My thanks to Jorge and the crew at the Sands for the excellent service and making our stay relaxing.
The restaurants were just OK. We did enjoy Saffron. The chef and team were very friendly and the food was authentic and service top notch.
The Tamarind was terrible, really. We waited for forty minutes for a salad and scallops and were laughing about how mediocre it was...and the place was empty...
Service in general was very spotty at the hotel. The Oriente breakfast was excellent with fresh fruits and a great selection. Service was just OK.. to serve someone, there should be more attention at the table; less focus on opening the doors for you...we had to ask for napkins at breakfast; often the coffee/tea was forgotten...again the staff would be in service recovery mode apologizing rather than getting it right the first time.
We had plans to have dinner one night at the Sands for the barbeque at 7:30 P.M. We arrived at 7:00 P.M. to have a glass of wine at the bar and were unable to get a drink because there was no bartender.
W don't mind the fact that the resort is spread out. We like to walk and bike but wondered if many would find annoying the dependancy on waiting for rides, either a boat or golf cart to get around.
We enjoy playing tennis and were dismayed that we couldn't walk or bike to a tennis court...you couldn't even take a golf cart but had to be taken by car instead to a remote spot where the tennis court is located.
We come to Mexico because we like the people, the weather, the beach and the culture.
While we enjoy private time, we like more action than was available at the Mayakoba. We would go the bar and find it empty. We enjoy Mexican music. While the music on the CDs for your room was soothing enough, the music in the public parts of the hotel (restaurants, etc. was...I really don't know how to describe the music...new age maybe...was not what we were looking for.
This is a hotel that has hired many good people(Sarah, Jorge, Pedro, Cesar, Ivan, Alex...) and I am sure will continue to work to get it right. I share the concerns of a previous reviewer that, if the service issues exist while we visited at below 50% capacity, how will they handle when at capacityl?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Dear Value Guest,

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us. Please accept my apologies for not providing you with a perfect stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, we will work hard to find out where we should improve.

Is my understanding, that your arrival to Banyan Tree Mayakoba was a few days after we were affected by hurricane IDA. Unfortunately, quite number of Villas needed to be put out of service because of some urgent repairs. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

In regards to the mosquitoes, due to some weather effects, such as higher temperatures than usual and extra rain, the mosquito population grew during that period of time; immediately, the biologists of this unique and natural integrated resort of Mayakoba did implement effective actions and the problem is now over.

I have taken note of your comments in regards to our Food and Beverages services and, seems to be, we had a bad day. Sorry for that!

Once again, I really appreciate constructive comments like yours, which we take seriously, since they help us to improve our standards and service. On the other hand, we are glad you could experience an authentic Banyan Tree service in other areas.

I look forward of hosting you again and provide you with a perfect stay in a near future in Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Best Regards,

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights at the end of October. This was our first real vacation in 10 years and this place lived up to our expectations of a high-end, private, relaxing, pampering vacation. If you are looking for a party, lots of people, nightly entertainment I'd go somewhere else. I love and appreciate architecture and design and absolutely refused to stay somewhere with the vegas style jacuzzi tubs in the room. If you are picky about rooms (I hate most!), then you will absolutely love BTM! The whole resort is a asian/mayan experience. Every detail has been designed, even down to the incense and oil burners, scented cold towels, to the lighting, bathrooms and the incredible smell of the lotions and bath gels. (I agree with another reviewer-I would have spent an insane amount of money to purchase the lotions, bath gels and incense/oils that were not available in the gift shop. They were also out of bathrobes I was hoping to purchase to remember our vacation. I went to the online gift shop to purchase a robe but shipping was terribly expensive - $65 for a $45 robe) Upon check-in, you get a welcoming drink and cold scented towel. They take your luggage to your villa and is already in the room when your arrive via buggy. We stayed in a Courtyard Villa. My husband and I couldn't stop grinning as our hostess gave us a tour of our villa. This Villa has a private courtyard with a very large pool and hot tub. They were all finished with amazing blue glass tiles. Two large loungers, table and hammock as well. The bedroom was on one side of the courtyard and the living room was on the opposite side. The bedrooms are large, very comfortable with large flat panel tv, cd player with ipod docking, satellite tv with an okay amount of channels, stocked mini bar, huge sun filled bathroom with double vessel sinks, seperate toilet and giant shower and huge walk in closet and another ipod docking station. There is also a large private outdoor tub with a wall of candles. The living room has a large sofa, another flat panel tv, cd/dvd player, fresh fruit (delicious!), coffee and tea bar and dining table. Each morning our villa was cleaned and refreshed with towels and fresh fruit. Each evening our room was turned down, robes and slippers set out. Before our trip my husband was very concerned about our room not being on the beach. Well he apologized to me over and over, this place is so incredible and it was fun riding our bikes two minutes to the beach each day it was not an issue at all! There are a few options for getting around the resort . Call for a buggy "boogey", take an electric boat (very cool!) or ride your bike. The buggy never took more than 5 minutes to arrive after our request. You can take a boat tour of the whole property on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The breakfast at the Oriente was also incredible! A huge selection of hot dishes (authentic mexican), breads, cereals, fresh fruits, sushi, cheeses, pastries, and eggs made to order. I also loved our late lunch at the Sands Beach Club. I wish they were open all day, they had a great selection of less fussy food. The Saffron was romantic, the food was good but I don't see eating there 5 or 6 nights. Because of the high quality of the food, the menus were more limited than we were used to but we were still able to find something we liked at each restaurant. Be prepared, the food is pricey, but you have to expect it at someplace so incredible! We had absolutely NO problems with mosquitos. I think I only saw one! Even though the resort is in the middle of mangroves they must do an excellent job fighting them off. We booked a couples swedish massage. Definitely the best, most relaxing massages we've ever had. The girls are from Thailand and of course are the best. This resort is paradise, but without the friendly, helpful staff it would be nothing! Each staff member went over and above in order to take care of us and serve us. From the hostess, buggy drivers, room service, housekeepers and turndown service, waiters....every person there was eager to help and so nice! The first couple of days my husband rode a girls bike. He mentioned this to Juan, and within 20 minutes his bike was replaced with a "man bike" and Juan wrote his name on it! Gabriel and the hard working staff at the beach club never made us wait for a drink. We felt like we had the whole resort to ourselves, it was a completely relaxing vacation. The grounds are immaculate and beautiful. And the beach is SO clean, no rocks, fine white powdered sand and very private, not crowded at all. If you decide to tear yourself from your room and this wonderful resort, Playa del Carmen is a 10 minute $17 taxi ride. Shopping on 5th Ave is okay for a couple of hours (street vendors wear on you after a while), and take the ferry to Cozumel. The whole time I was in Playa, I wished we were back at the resort. I almost hate to tell others about how amazing this place is. Just Go. Now. Stop looking, and book it. You won't regret it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Managar at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear Value Guest,

I wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your perfect and relaxed experience in Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

It is a great satisfaction for us to know that we could meet your expectations, and you and your husband have enjoyed your stay with us in perfect blend of Asian and Mayan cultures.

At Banyan Tree Mayakoba we all try our best in order to provide our guests with a perfect service and we are proud we have achieved our goal during your stay.

Warm Regards,

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

We have just returned from a 6 day stay. I just cannot say enough about the attention to customer service. From the time we arrived and were welcomed by Juan and then Sarah who every hotel in the world would be able to learn from her wonderful personality, to Eli, Dffren, Otto, Maria and everyone else who made our stay outstanding. Thank you. The Banyan Tree should be on everyones list of "the place to go".
I hope they are able to keep up the incredible customer service.
If you are a golfer, the El Camaleon golf course is all outstanding and a good test of golf. Every golfer would enjoy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 18, 2009
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, we wish to thank you for taking the time to convey us your kind comments.

Sarah, Eli, Efren, Otto and María are more than pleased to know they were able to assist you every moment.

We really believe in our team and Banyan Tree has a detailed training program up to make sure we all perform to our guests expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Banyan Tree soon.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

My boyfriend took me to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for my birthday, and I think it might be the single best hotel we've visited in terms of the overall experience. The resort itself is beautiful, the grounds are amazing, the rooms are incredible, and the staff is just the best. They go above and beyond to accommodate your requests. I'm already looking forward to another visit. If you get the chance, don't hesitate - just go. You won't regret it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Banyan_Tree_Mayakoba, Vice President / Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, November 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

The Banyan Tree Mayakoba family rejoices knowing that your birthday celebration, at the time you stayed with us, became an unforgettable experience in a perfect blend of Asian gentility and Mexican friendly service.

We wish to thank you very much for your preference and your kind comments in regards to our facilities, services and staff.

Area General Manager

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!