“A beautiful relaxing experience” 5 of 5 stars

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 199 hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York, USA
“A beautiful relaxing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Amazing food. Especially the Thai restaurant. Not enough activities -especially almost mo water sports - but splendid service and villas. The beach is small and far from the villas unless you stay in a beach villa.

• Stayed December 2012
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Francois K,

Thank you very much for staying recently with us and sharing a few words about your beautiful vacation.

Our Chef will be delighted that our restaurant Saffron could convince you with their amazing food and that you had a nice experience at our hotel.

It would be an honor for me to welcome you back soon at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Wishing you a happy new year 2013!

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our family recently visited Banyan Tree on December 21st through December 26th, 2012.
Even though the resort itself was superb and the service excellent, please be warned that some or most of the Villas have an extremely strong mold/mildew odor. This is not merely a slight odor but one that was so strong that we could not stay in the Villa during the day. We returned at night to sleep but we awoke in the mornings with nausea and headaches. I am certain that the management must have known of this issue because the Villa had incense sticks in each room. Secondly, when we were at the Beach Pool, other guests were complaining of the same issue. It was unbearable and ruined our vacation. What is the point of paying top dollar to stay at a beautiful resort when your Villa is a health risk? When we checked out, we tried to discuss it with the conceirge. She only acknowledged that " some of the Villas have gone through treatment for this isuue".
So bottomline: The remaining Villas that have not undergone this "treatment" are unbearable and will result in nausea and headaches.
It is sad that this happened to us because we had looked forward to this vacation and could not believe what we walked into. Also sad because the resort itself was beautiful and the service was excellent. However, I find it unethical that we were not warned of this before arriving. We would have chosen another resort and we certainly cannot recommend Banyan Tree to our friends and family.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear visitor of Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Thank you very much for your precious comment on this website.

I am saddened you did not fully enjoy your stay at our resort although you consider our hotel as wonderful and our service as excellent. My associates loved to pamper you and your family and we are happy you enjoyed our restaurants.

Kindly be assured that the mentioned odor will be attended to promptly.

I would like to welcome you back at our hotel and refresh the memories for another brilliant experience.

Wishing you a happy new year 2013!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I did like this hotel but I have to complain about two things that really irk me. 1. mildew in the shower!!! seriously - if I see mildew in the shower - a five star property goes to four automatically. 2. They didn't clean the room in the morning several days and didn't re-stock our mini fridge after we requested it.

Now- if I was at a crappy place - no big deal but this is suppose to be a five-star resort. As such, I can only give it four stars.

Also, the gym is very small with only two treadmills in case this is important to you.

The food at the restaurants was good - again, not like I had the best meal of my life (Four Seasons Shanghai) there but it is very good. Pool service is excellent and the beach service was also excellent. The bar is great and the drinks are made very well. This part of the experience was five star in my opinion.

The room besides the mildew is great - privacy was awesome! We both got massages and they were awesome!

Sevice in the restaurants and pools really helped the overall experience so hats off to the staff. I hate to say this but we will probably try the Rosewood property next time we vacation in Playa.

Room Tip: A massage at the spa is a must!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear hlthatcher,

Thank you for sharing a few words about your recent stay with us.

Our Chef will be delighted that he and his team could convince you with their culinary skills and have been able to show you a big strength of our hotel. The private villas are designed for a romantic and special trip; I am glad that you enjoyed them. I agree totally that our Spa is a must! What would be better to take away the bad thoughts and the stress and to start a relaxing vacation with a massage of a specially trained Thai therapist?

Thank you for mentioning also areas for improvement, which we are going to address immediately.

I am hoping to have the chance to welcome you back in Banyan Tree Mayakoba, it would be a pleasure for me and all my associates.

Area General Manager.
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Beautiful architecture, very good service, and tremendous food. Yes, I wish the beach were a bit more beautiful and that there was a pool for adults (kids used both pools at the resort), but it was tremendous nonetheless. We spent more time at the main lobby area where they had many places to spend the day and relax by yourself. The food at all the restaurants was excellent. The rooms were tremendous, and nicely kept. The bikes to get around the grounds were a nice touch.

Dear AmanJunkieBoston,

Thank you very much for your review, it is of value for me and all the associates of Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

To be described “tremendous” for our food, services and our amazing villas is an honor for us. I am very thankful for this wonderful compliment.
Our hotel is a place to calm down, to enjoy the beautiful environment and a sanctuary for the senses for all of our guests. Driving around with the bicycles and looking at this wonderful nature is a precious part of our resort.

Your comment about the beach and the pool is very important to us. We want to offer you the nicest and most relaxing place for your vacation and we will do our best to achieve it during your next stay.

We are looking forward to see you at our resort.

Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We we made plans to return to Playa del Carmen, the only place we could ever think to stay was the Banyan Tree Mayakoba after our initial visit in August.

The resort this time was full and my only criticism would be the time it took for some of the services due to the occupancy of the hotel. The buggy service and the in-room dining sometimes took some time however, it was never annoyingly late to where it became a problem.

All in all, this is still the best hotel my wife and I have ever stayed at. Again, the attention to detail, the rooms, the spa, the products.....Everything is spectacular! Needless to sy, we will be going back again and highly recommend this property!

Room Tip: Depending on how many people are traveling with you, the villas are the way to go! The two BR are f...
Dear clay3c,

It is an honor for me to read that our hotel is your preferred place to be! Thank you very much for this big compliment and appreciation in the name of all our associates.

Depending on the occupation it can get a little bit busy at our resort; I am sorry for the delays. We are working hard to improve our service delivery and we hope at your next stay we will be able to meet your expectations again.

Please let me know if you need any kind of assistance for the scheduling of your next stay. My whole team is looking forward to welcome you back in our resort.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Double check your homes before the client arrive. Because when we arrive some of the thing's Didn't work. (Coffee maker, The door of the bath-room didn't close. The beth was very noise, we couldn't control the temperature of the air conditioning system). I also recommend you, that the mades shouldn't leave the towels and trash outside the house it doesn't look nice in such a beautiful environment. Other than that I really enjoy the place.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear visitor,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on this website. I`m very thankful that you inform us about the problems you experienced upon arrival. Our ambition is to give our guests exceptional service from the beginning till the end of their stay. I will make sure that the information is shared with the corresponding departments of our resort and that the same will not come up again.
I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time at our hotel.
It was an honor for me and my team to have you as a guest at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. Please let me know before you come back to our resort to assist you with any requirements before and during your stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Traveled with my wife, 2.5 yr old daughter and in-laws - had 2 courtyard villas (received an upgrade from garden villas when I booked). Stayed for 7 nights.

Rooms - The rooms are spacious, with a substantial outdoor area. Nice pool and hot tub, though the pool is unheated so might be a bit chilly for some, though my daughter loved it. Separate living room across the courtyard was great for extra space and in-room dining. The property is quite spacious, with villas spread out over the compound.. there will be some walking involved unless you want to constantly call for a golf cart (though this was usually pretty quick). Very quiet, could not hear anyone else outside the villa.

Facilities - Beach was nice, has a pool there as well as a restaurant, very attentive staff, there is a main pool and a kiddie pool near the main building. Main building houses a couple restaurants as well as a rooftop bar, the spa, etc.

Restaurants - the breakfast buffets at Oriente are excellent, probably the best breakfast buffets this side of uber-luxury resorts in Asia... wide selection of traditional, Mexican, and Thai specialties. Did not try the adults-only restaurant Tamarind. Went to Saffron, the thai option - was excellent. Sands, the beach restaurant is good as well.

Mayakoba - The nice option staying at the Banyan Tree, Rosewood or Fairmont is that you can shuttle between the resorts and use their facilities and eat at their restaurants and they can all bill back to the Banyan Tree, so no need to carry around cash/cards.. the restaurants at the Rosewood are excellent, though at their beachfront Mexican restaurant, Punta Bonita, be prepared to have a long meal, their pacing was a bit odd, had dinner and lunch and the odd pacing occurred for both meals. The free transfers between resorts is a great opportunity to broaden the on-site dining options. Would recommend the Rosewood restaurants over the Fairmont, though the Fairmont options are totally decent, and a touch cheaper.

Kids - This is a pretty family friendly place, there is a kids club area by the beach pool, the staff gets to know your child by name, plenty of pool areas... though the resort is large, so kids are not overrunning the place by any means... basically if you're not into kids at all, you may want to consider somewhere else, but if you don't mind them or have some of your own, I definitely would recommend this as a kid-friendly place. My daughter loved it, especially chocolate croissants at breakfast.

Overall value - The rooms are a good value, restaurants are typical resort pricing (similar to middle-high end NYC pricing). Much better value than staying at the Rosewood, especially since you can patronize their resort. Rosewood is almost 2x cost, for perhaps a minor step up in refinement.. not worth the extra in my opinion

Room Tip: Get the upgrade to the courtyard villas if you can, adds substantial space over the garden villa
Dear jma5000

The kind review that you have left on this website is very welcomed by me and all the Banyan Tree Mayakoba associates. I feel happy to read that you and your family have had a nice experience.

It will be just wonderful to welcome you and your family member back to this hotel.

Area General Manager

Been to Banyan Tree Mayakoba? Share your experiences!